The crime scene

The Super Lucky One

 

Sooyoung drove to a park nearby and parked her car. She hit her forehead and tried to collect herself. She got out of the car and walked back to the café shop. She needed to know if it was really Jessica. Her feet brought her back to the 'crime scene' without the brain guiding. Blank thoughts filled her head. It was like there were too much to think and she ended up thinking of everything too fast. Every step she took heated up her body, burning her stomach.

There. They were still there. Sooyoung stood on the other side of the street and looked carefully at the two people in the café. The horror movie was playing with the guy now holding Jessica’s hand, yes it was her, and like, kissed it. Sooyoung got disgusted immediately. But disgusted or not, her heart was smashed into pieces. She couldn’t believe her own eyes. There was the hope inside her that it was just a dream, or some misunderstanding. Like, how could it be? Why was Jessica cheating on her? How come?

Sooyoung watched the two as they talked smiling and laughing. Oh great. It looked fun, yeah? Anger built up inside Sooyoung when she saw Jessica laugh at the guy’s some ridiculous joke. Just then Jessica took a break from the tiring laughing session and looked out the window, her eyes met Sooyoung’s.

-----

“Jessica, would you like to go out for a cup of coffee?”

“Okay, Siwon oppa.”

Siwon was the son of the president of Jessica’s company. He went to the US for university and got a master degree. Now he came back to help with his father’s business. Since the first day at work, he had been interested in Jessica and it seemed like the girl was quite attracted to his fit and handsome appearance as well as his intelligence.

They went to a café shop and had a delightful chat. Siwon showed off his side of a gentleman and Jessica got carried away. When he touched her cheek, she got thrilled and could only smile. Siwon took it as his entrance ticket and tried his best to make entertain Jessica by telling jokes. She laughed and made him feel proud of himself.

After another teary laugh, Jessica looked out the window and saw a familiar tall figure standing across the street. Her heart skipped like two beats when she recognized her girlfriend as the latter started to walk away really fast. Jessica felt like the whole world collapsed and the ground disappeared. She stood up on her trembling feet and made her way out of the coffee shop.

“Jessica, where are you going?” Siwon asked in confusion.

Jessica didn’t reply and walked at her max speed. She crossed the street and proceeded to the direction to which Sooyoung had gone. She went pass hundreds of people but Sooyoung was nowhere to be found. Tears rolled down her cheeks as guilt started to fill her heart. She blamed herself for committing such horrible thing.  Well, it’s too late now.

----

Sooyoung knocked her best friend’s door and Tiffany welcomed her immediately. Yuri, Tiffany’s girlfriend, also Sooyoung’s best friend, was there.

“Hey Soo! Come in!”

“Hey…” Sooyoung entered the house with her head hung low. Tiffany noticed and looked at Yuri who stood up from the couch the minute she saw the terrible expression on her friend’s face.

“What’s wrong, Soo??” Yuri asked with concern.

“I… it’s…” Sooyoung didn’t know how to tell her friends about the earlier event. She dropped down on the couch and buried her face in her palms. Tiffany and Yuri sat down on her sides and patiently waited for their friend to spill the story. Sooyoung took in a deep breath and as soon as she breathed out, tears came down her face. Tiffany quickly hugged Sooyoung and let her cry on her shoulder while Yuri patted her back. Sooyoung cried for like 10 minutes before she finally calmed down. She told her best friends what happened and the two received the news with shock.

"I'm sorry to hear that Sooyoungie..." Tiffany gave Sooyoung another soothing hug. She couldn’t believe Jessica would betray her best friend. She was mad for Sooyoung.

"So what are you going to do now?" Yuri also gave her friend a hug.

"I don’t know... I think she saw me seeing her... I hope she didn’t though, at least then things won’t be awkward between us."

"What do you mean? Don’t tell me you're going to pretend like nothing happened?" Tiffany widened her eyes at gave Yuri a is-she-serious look.

"Yeah… I just don’t know what to do. I don’t want to get into fights. I don’t want to blame her."

“Do you want me to talk to her?”

“No. Don’t.”

"Soo ah..." Yuri squeezed Sooyoung's hand. "It's gonna be alright."

Sooyoung weakly nodded. She stayed there for another half an hour then decided that she should go home. Her two best friends walked her to the door.

"Are you sure you don’t want me to drive you home?" Yuri asked.

"It's okay. I'm okay now. Thanks to you guys."

"Well, that’s what friends are for, right? You can always come to us." Tiffany hugged Sooyoung goodbye. “Just don’t blame yourself for anything okay? You did nothing wrong.”

“Okay.” Sooyoung smiled and left.

"She's such a strong girl, right? I can’t believe Jessica did that to her."

"Yeah. I hope things will turn out fine."

----

Jessica hopelessly search for Sooyoung until her legs couldn’t carry her anymore. She went back to their apartment and waited for her girlfriend to come home.

Sitting on the couch in the living room, Jessica felt the guilt reaching its peak. She hated herself so much. How could she forget about her dearly loved girlfriend and got carried away by just some guy? She wondered how Sooyoung felt when she saw them. And how much did she see? How long had she been standing there? Did she see Siwon kissing her hand?

Jessica covered as she sobbed.  She waited for three more extreme hours of anxiety and guilt before falling asleep on the couch. While Jessica was sleeping, the door opened and Sooyoung came in. She went to the living room and saw Jessica on the couch. Her heart ached the moment she laid eyes on her girlfriend.

Sooyoung soundlessly kneeled down beside the couch. She removed hair covering the latter's cheek and ran her fingers on her jaw line. She looked at Jessica sleeping and noticed her puffy eyes. Did she cry?

Why bother crying anyway. Didn’t you have fun? Sooyoung took a deep breath to cool down. She carefully carried Jessica to the bedroom and placed her on the bed without waking her up. She put the blanket over Jessica's body and sat down on the edge of the bed. She stared at her girlfriend and was mesmerized by her beauty. She had always been proud of her beautiful girlfriend, now guess what? Where had the pride gone…?

It hurt so badly but Sooyoung didn’t know what to do to stop it. She wished maybe Jessica could just sleep like that and nothing bad is going to happen. Sooyoung thought hard. When Jessica wakes up the next day, what should she do? She didn’t want a fight. She found no point in arguing because Jessica seemed to enjoy being with the guy a lot. She just wanted them to be normal, like how they’d always been.

Sooyoung stood up and went to the balcony. The cold breeze caressed her face and she exhaled. She looked for a bright star in the sky that could somehow grant her a wish like in Pinocchio but couldn’t find one. Okay. She made up her mind. If her girlfriend liked it that way, let it be. After all, what Sooyoung wanted was Jessica’s happiness. Maybe Jessica just had a small crush on that guy. Or something. She’ll give her girlfriend another chance. Even if Jessica really liked that guy, like even more than she loved Sooyoung, that’s fine.

Sooyoung went back inside. She kissed Jessica on the cheek, whispered she loved her and took the pillow with her to the couch in the living room.