Lucky, really?

The Super Lucky One

 

Sooyoung got home from work with a smile on her face.  She couldn’t wait to see her girlfriend, Jessica. It was their second anniversary. They were going to celebrate it with the cake Sooyoung just bought and some ice cream. “Baby, I’m home!”

“Welcome home, sweetie~!” Jessica literally ran from the living room and jumped on her tall girlfriend to give her a hug.

“So excited huh?” Sooyoung patted Jessica’s head.

“Yes! Come come!” Jessica was actually the quiet and cold kind, but that day she was so happy she couldn’t help it. She had missed her Sooyoungie since she woke up in the morning knowing it was their little special day. The lovey-dovey couple went to the kitchen hand in hand. Jessica had set up the table with plates, hot chocolate and candles. They took out the cake, lit up the candles and turned off the light. It was so warm-hearted and romantic. Each of them took a seat across from each other and grinned from ear to ear.

“Give me your hands.” Sooyoung said, held out her hands. Jessica let Sooyoung hold her hands and they made a little circle with the cake in the middle. The candle on the cake was the only source of light that let the couple sees each other’s face. They stared deep into each other’s eyes smiling.

“You know your eyes sparkle.” Sooyoung said dreamingly.

“Come on, I know you have better things to say.” Jessica giggled.

“Actually, I don’t…”

“Why? You made such a sweet and cheesy speech last time.” Jessica raised her brow.

 

Flashback

“Jessica Jung. It’s been a year since we’re together. You don’t know how happy and fortunate I am having you as my girlfriend.”

“Oh Sooyoungie…”

“You know, I usually thank God for giving me such a huge blessing. I mean, of all people on earth, it’s me! Choi Sooyoung is the super lucky one!” Sooyoung held her girlfriend’s hands and stared at them in excitement. “You see, like how I’m holding your hands now. It could have been someone else, like some guy or girl, but look, aren’t those MY hands? Holding yours? Isn’t it wonderful?”

Jessica couldn’t do anything but giggled.

End flashback

 

“Well, if I say something now, it’d be exactly like the last time…”

“I didn’t know you lack creativity.”

“I only have creativity on silly things baby. When it comes to you, my princess, I can only think of how much I love you and how lucky I am.”

“See? There you go.”

“Huh?”

Jessica smiled. She wasn’t sure if Sooyoung was just pretending or those sweet words were plain genuine. “Let’s do it now, Sooyoungie. I’m hungry.”

“Yep yep. Ready? One, two…” The two closed their eyes with their hands still locked. “Three, four…” Sooyoung kept counting. Usually people only count to three, but this weird couple counted to nine, giving them more time to enjoy the moment.

“Five… Six…” Jessica remembered when they went to the theme park. That crazy day. They had tons of fun screaming on the rollercoaster and that stupid haunted house. And there was ice cream stuck on the corner of Sooyoung’s lips. “Seven…” That time when they went to the beach to watch the sunset and couldn’t find the way back to the hotel… “Eight…” The weekend dates that they shared. How they walked around with no specific destination. The silly things they did together. Laughter. Tears. Rain. Wind. Food.

“Nine!”

Whhhhff!!

The candle was blown off. Their voices echoed in the dark.

“Happy 2nd anniversary!”

“I LOVE YOU~.”

 

 

Six months later

Sooyoung tried to call Jessica but there was no response. She was sent to voice mail like 5 or 6 times already.

“Aishh…” The tall girl put her phone on the desk and returned to her paper work. Jessica had been distant from her these days. She didn’t know if she did something wrong, maybe she spent too much time on work and not enough on her girlfriend. What she could do was that she reserved a table at an expensive restaurant and made it a surprise date, but for now she couldn’t reach Jessica.

Sooyoung tried calling again but there was no better result. When work was over, she drove home just to find nobody in the apartment. She called Jessica’s office, but people said Jessica had already gone home hours ago. Sooyoung got really worried as there might be things happened to her girlfriend. She ignored her screamingly hungry stomach and drove off to look for Jessica. Every passed second added more to her nervousness. She prayed to God for her girlfriend’s safety. Her heart skipped a beat as she accidentally imagined a car crash involving Jessica. She mentally slapped herself for thinking of such unlucky thing.

As the tall girl stopped her car at the red light, she saw her girlfriend in a café shop nearby. Her eyes widened when she saw a guy sitting across caressing her girlfriend’s cheek. And instead of pushing his hand away, Jessica just smiled shyly and fed him cookies. The car behind honked. It was green light already.  Sooyoung was snapped back to reality and drove her car to nowhere. Her hands were shaking on the steering wheel and her sight got blurry. Not because of tears, though. Her eyes just couldn’t seem to focus on the street.