[Black Blood] Chapter One

Black Blood

"Wow, you're crazy," your friend gives you a look and then continues flipping through the comic book she was holding in her hands.

"I don't know…I didn't want to go when they first asked me," you stuff an extra pair of clothes into your backpack, "But I'm actually kind of excited now."

"You're sure willing to get yourself really spooked," she pauses and looks at you.

You look at her and narrow your eyes, "What?"

"I remember now, you're going with Chanyeol!" she says in a sing song voice.

You toss a nearby pillow at her, "Hey, we're only friends because…I’m not fit for him at all."

You couldn't help but feel a little bit depressed. The differences between you and Chanyeol were immense. The boy had looks, talent, and a really easy going personality. Of course everyone would just naturally be attracted to him. You, on the other hand, were average. Everything about you was average. Average. Average. The only reason why you and Chanyeol were even friends in the first place was because of this summer assignment, but if you weren't assigned to each other, you're pretty certain that he would have never even known your name. Well, that's an exaggeration.

Your friend could see the sadness in your eyes and brings up a hand to pat you on the shoulder before returning to her comic book again.

A sudden car honk from outside jolts you back and you peer out the window.

“It’s your dad,” you say to your friend as she stands up and walks towards the door. Her hand hovers above the doorknob for a second before she turns around.

“Hey,” she gets your attention, “Just be careful, okay?”

You give her a small nod and watch her as she exits your bedroom.

This Zencho village is probably just a myth. If this was real, the police would have investigated it, right? Besides, what’s the worst that could happen? You try to reason with your fear.

With that being said, you looked inside your pack and checked your contents. Extra shirt, pants, and socks, snacks, two water bottles, a first aid kit, flashlight, Swiss army knife, extra batteries, cell phone and a camera. Yeah you’re ready to go. The only thing left to do was wait for Ch—

Your cell phone rings.

“Hey,” Chanyeol’s deep voice calls from the other end, “we’re outside, are you ready to go?”

You could hear the excitement in his voice and you unconsciously smile, “Yeah, I’m ready! I’ll be down in a second!”

You run downstairs to say good-bye to your parents and see them in front of the television, “Bye Mom, bye Dad I’ll be gone for tonight.”

“Ah, have fun, sweetie,” your dad quickly turns his head to you and then turns back.

“Stay safe, love,” your mother gets up and gives you a long hug.

“Ma, I’ll be fine,” you give her a smile.

You run outside and see your group grinning at you.

“Let’s go!” Len yells from the front passenger seat.

 After you get yourself seated, the car slowly starts to roll off. Yia was busy keeping her eyes on the road while Len was quickly blabbing directions to her, Chanyeol was just looking out the window admiring the scenery, you were just thinking back on the conversation you had with your friend earlier and agreed with yourself that you indeed do not fit with him.

Chanyeol, noticing how silent you’ve been, turns his head to look at you, “You’re not scared are you?”

He laughs and continues, “Don’t worry, I’m Park Chanyeol. I can protect you!”

All you could do was laugh at his silliness.

“What?” he grins after seeing your expression light up, “I can!”

Ah, there goes his adorable little nose scrunch. The things you do to me. You think to yourself.

“Whoa, Yia, this road doesn’t look right,” Len looks up from his map.

“What are you talking about I followed your directions perfectly,” Yia exclaims.

You looked out of the window and to your surprise, the sun was already setting and the sky was turning into a blood red color. How did you manage to not notice such a thing? You shoot Chanyeol a look and he looks back at you with a confused expression, agreeing that he too did not notice the sun was already setting.

“Let me see that map,” Yia takes a moment to look at it, “Nope, no worries Len we’re still on the correct road.”

“If you say so,” Len looks back at the map, “I have to get my driver’s license soon.”

The car was approaching a mountain road tunnel.

“Are you questioning my skills as a driver?!” Yia demands, flipping on the head lights once the car entered the dark tunnel.

“I’m just a little bit uncertain about the road we’re on,” Len replies with a sigh.

Frustrated, Yia heaved a sigh and continued to look at the road in front of her. It was terribly dark in the tunnel and even with the lights, it was only possible to see a little more than ten feet. The tension builds up with every second the car continues driving and everyone was holding in their breath anxiously waiting for the end of this long dark passage.

Finally, after what felt like a long while, the car exits the tunnel and everyone breathes a sigh of relief. You looked out the window again; the sky was now pure black and it was impossible to spot even a single star in the sky.

The car starts to sputter and slow down.

“I’m out of gas already?” She hits the wheel, “It was still full a few moments ago.”

“Uh, guys,” Len points in front of him, “I don’t think Zencho is a legend after all.”

We all looked in front of us.

“Welcome to Zencho” a sign read.