The test

Coffee, Chicken & Rock´n´roll

 

SunHee’s POV

‘’How was the first day, Miss Lee?’’ asked Mr. Ahn curiously while he was driving.

‘’Great. It was really fun. I found some new friends which took a care for me.’’ I answered and then continued with watching flickering people, cars and buildings around.

‘’I am glad for that,’’ added Mr. Ahn and the rest of way passed in silent.

                After 30 minute we were on the spot. My uncle’s villa. It was nice and modern but simple furnished spacious house with manicured garden where was present a pool for sure. I think it was just for decoration because I haven’t ever seen that my uncle swum in it. Maybe it was there ‘cause of his wife but I don’t know If he was ever married so..  maybe I should ask him. Mr. Ahn opened door and took my school bag. I got out of car and he close the door. I felt always like a princess when I was there.

                ‘’Mr. Kang want to have a dinner today with you so be prepared at 7 p.m. at a doorway, please,’’ He announced and got back in to a limousine. Probably he was going to return to uncle’s company ready to pick him up in time as always. 

I entered a wide hall, pulled of my worn out black sneakers and continued to kitchen ‘cause I wanted some little thing to eat and drink. Yes I am (almost) always hungry person. Mrs. Song, my uncle’s housemaid greeted me with a tight huge hug.She was plump, lively and very kind woman. She always wore a perfect bun and grey dress with a white apron. She is something like my mother and she cooks like the goddess. My stomach muttered in expectation. I sometimes think that my stomach has an individual brain. It is kinda annoying.

                ‘’Uuhm.. I can’t breathe!’’ I said with laugh. She laughed also and released a hug. Oh, how I love her laughter. She laughs brightly and a tone of her laughter warmed you up like summer sunny day.

                ‘’Are you hungry sweetheart?’’ she motherly caressed my face. Then she hasted away for the pie. I clapped joyfully.

                ‘’Yaaay! You know I love you unnie, don’t you?’’

                She is just amazing. I devoured the pie as I didn’t eat a week and with a hundred thanks and praise I wended into my room. My uncle let me equip it by myself. Pistachio green walls always made me hungr… uhm felling safely. I stuck there posters of my favorite rock bands. My linen with Jang Keun Suk was making me dreaming sweetly and also..  my own table, wardrobe and everything was mine. I picked light wood so it was bright there and I just loved it. I also have my own notebook. Notebook! We haven’t any computer in farm. I was happy that we have electricity (sometimes) for my combo. Uhm. Yes, that bad it was. But let’s go back to reality. I went into my room and saw.. the new combo! Ohhh I love my uncle so much. It was Marshall! I just love that brand. My favorite American guitarist is using Marshall too. Slash if you know who I mean but.. I am so happy I can play again! I snatched my Yun and started to examine my new guitar amplifier. When I played the chorus of ‘’Take care, my bus!’’ from drama Mary stayed out of all night my phone rang.

‘’Just run, run… aishh..’’ I swore as one of string burst and slashed my right hand.

‘’Damn… who the heck is calling me in this inappropriate moment,’’ I mumbled fiercely and picked it up.

‘’Yobuseo?’’ I asked grumpily.

‘’SunHee! Hi! Nice to hear you, have you free time now?’’ MinJee. Ok.. I calmed down.

‘’Hi MinJee. Yes but I have only 3 hours left. I am going on dinner with my uncle in the evening I must be accurate as a watch.

‘’Nevermind, we will pick you in 15 minutes. Have your guitar with you,’’ she informed me and hung up.

‘’Wait.. MinJee?.. MinJee! YAH!! ’’ There was just beeping.

              ‘’WTH is she planning at?’’ I grumbled, hid Yun in her guitar case and opened my wardrobe for change from my school uniform. That girl must be crazy.

 

No one’s POV

                ‘’So what?’’ asked Yoseob eagerly with eyes wide open like little child at Christmas.

                ‘’Let’s pick her. She has for us 3 hours,’’ she commended and Yoseob jumped and shed wooden crates on which he sat.

                ‘’Ready!’’ he saluted.

                ‘’I will wait for you here, do you even know where she lives?’’ said Onew resentfully sprawled on the old couch in the corner of DongYul’s father garage which they used for band practice. DongYul rose from the stool and looked at him.

                ‘’I know it. Get up and go for some food, you pay,’’ he said emphatically and went out. Onew sighed and went behind him, if leader says something you must obey. MinJee with almost hopping Yoesob came out immediately after Onew. They all went with their leader for SunHee.

 

20 minutes later…

 

SunHee’s POV

                I nervously and impatiently stepped in front of the villa’s gate. Where is MinJee for heaven's sake? She told me that they will there in 15 minutes. Oh I see. 5 minutes late! Punctuality says nothing for them or what?

                ‘’SunHeeee! Long time no see!’’  Yoseob. And the rest of coffee gang without Onew. They looked really like gang in that black clothes with sunglasses. Will they kidnap me and kill me then?

                ‘’Um.. hello everyone, why do you need me with my guitar?’’ I asked them with apprehension. DongYul’s expression was the same pokerplayer’s face, MinJee had uncanny smile on her lips and Yoseob grinned.

                ‘’You’ll see,’’said MinJee. So I shrugged and went with them, when we were round the corner Yoseob took a black scarf from his neck and approached fastly to me.

                ‘’MinJee, shall you..’’

                ‘’Of course..’’ she pressed me to her and tightly hugged from back except that it was not hug but the way to defuse me. My arms were trapped in her steel press.

                ‘’MinJee what are you…YAH..Yoseob..! Stop it!! Take it down you little gangster!!!’’ Yoseob commited my eyes so I can’t see anything. I floundered but I had not a chance. What should I do? She must be  in the martial arts club or something.

                ‘’I am not a little..’’ he hissed in my ear and laughed. Okey he was about 3 centimetres smaller but.. what is meaning of this. They are really gang. Omo.. help me, someone. I prepared to scream but he covered my mouth with his hand.

                ‘’Okey that’s enough of evil Yoseob,’’ exclaimed MinJee. ‘’Don’t scream SunHee we are not planning to kill you we will just take you to a secret place and because you are not in The Roast Chicken you have to not know where it is,’’ she explained. ‘’So don’t shout and run away, promise?’’

                ‘’Ummmm..,’’ I nodded and Yoseob removed his hand.

                ‘’MinJee, let mee, aaghhr are you terminator or something?’’ I tried.

                ‘’Fine, but don’t try any stupidity, okey?’’ She let me but grabbed my hand.

                ‘’Can I hold her hand and lead her?’’  asked Yoseob with hope.

    ‘’Forget it,’’ replied MinJee sharply and according to Yoseob’s ‘’Ouch’’ she pushed him away.

                ‘’Just take it as test of trust,’’ she said to me like it is normal thing to do. Yes, all of them are crazy. No way.

23 minutes later…

‘’Are we there yet?’’ I asked perhaps for the hundredth time.

‘’Yes we are,’’ MinJee sighed with relief.

‘’Can I remove that stupid scarf from my eyes finally?’’

‘’Yes, you can..’’

‘’What a relief!’’

‘’Wait! Until we will be inside,’’ stopped me Yoseob.

‘’Whyyyy?’’ I whined.

‘’For safety,’’ responded Yoseob.

‘’You crazy gangsters,’’ I muttered. Something rattled, sliding doors? They pulled me ahead.

‘’Hey you, how old are you that you are talking like that?’’ Someone removed the scarf. Onew.

‘’Sixteen..’’I peered. We were in some grey dark room.

‘’Month?’’ Onew was again frowning at me.

‘’July..’’ I sighed.

            ‘’She is maknae! SHE is maknae!’’ Yoseob started to dance around as he would have won the lottery and he was shouting these words again and again.

‘’Be formal then..,’’ he snapped and sprawled on the old couch which was in the corner.

‘’I am very sorry for all of you,’’ I bowed to each member while Yoseob was still dancing.

‘’Uhm.. Yoseob.. could you stop for a while?’’ I tried to stop him.

‘’Sure!’’ Yoseob stopped and focused on me with sparking eyes.

            ‘’I am very sorry for being rude,’’ I bowed to him too. He was in shock for a while and then he started to dance again.

‘’She bowed to me, she bowed to me. Have everyone seen that?’’ He changed his mantra.

            ‘’That’s enough, you will destroy something,’’ stopped him DongYul calmly and sat behind the drums.

‘’We will forgive you SunHee but…’’ started MinJee.

‘’But..?’’

            ‘’You must show us your skills on your toy.’’ Yoseob completed and gestured to my left hand with the guitar case.

‘’So this is why did you kidnapped me? You want me to show how I play?’’ I realized.

                '’That’s it,’’ MinJee shrugged her shoulders. Yoseob enthusiastically sat on wooden crates and MinJee forced Onew to move and make a place for her. I opened the case and took out Yun.

                ‘’Uhm.. have you the combo here, Onew-sshi?’’ I prepared the guitar strap and asked.

                ‘’Sure, look over there..’’ Onew pointed behind me.

                ‘’Thanks,’’ I plugged Yun in and noticed that… damn I forgot about broken string!

                ‘’Uhm.. I have a problem,’’ I breathed, put Yun aside and looked for strings. How embarrassing. It is not there I have it in my luggage at home. Onew will eat me alive.

                ‘’What’s that again? You forgot how to play? Do you think that you will learn it in the case?’’ said Onew harshly. And here it is. Ouch.

                ‘’My string is broken and..’’

                ‘’Are you fu.. kidding me? Are you even the guitarist? How can you forget about broken string on earth! Are you serious that you are not wearing spare string along?’’ He stood up and yelled at me.

                ‘’Stop it Onew,’’ halted him DongYul coldly.

                ‘’I just can’t stand people who think they can rule over the world,’’ continued Onew.

                ‘’Onew! Can’t you just lend her your string?’’ MinJee stepped in.

                ‘’Haha, do you think I want to?’’ Onew laughed acidly. ‘’This rich chick just failed right after she came here, don’t you think?’’ Why is he humiliating me like that? Tears burned in my eyes.

                ‘’That’s enough Onew! She is crying. My SunHee is crying,’’ Yoseob grabbed him by his collar and threw him back to the couch.

                ‘’I..M-MinJee just called me when I played.. and I.. i-it startled me and.. the string burst and.. I was confused by the call and.. forgot.. p-please forgive me..’’ I begged them while tears ran out of my eyes. I though it is over. That I finally found friends. Friends who will stand me. I am just naive cow.  Rather I should go even I don’t know where I am. I took Yun.

                ‘’SunHee, take it easy. I said you that he slept badly today.’’ Yoseob took Yun’s neck and looked in my teary eyes. Something in his eyes consoled me. Maybe he means it. ‘’That egoistic jerk just fell in love with a princess and she swept a threshold with him. Because you are pretty like her you remind him about that.’’ He explained. I smiled a little at him.

 

No one’s POV

                 ‘’That was over the line, Onew. Lend her the string or I will broke your pretty perfect nose.’’

                ‘’And again.. I am the worst one huh? You know where it is.’’ There was pain in his eyes. ‘’You know where is my gigback. The biggest pocket. But she will replace or pay it. Can she even change it?’’

                ‘’SunHee, which one?’’ called MinJee an ignored Onew.

                ‘’The first E. You know.. the thinnest.’’ SunHee wiped her tears.

                ‘’Yep, I know,’’ MinJee winked at her and opened the pocket on Onew’s gigback and then brought me the new string.

                ‘’Thank you,’’ SunHee smiled at her and replaced quickly the broken one.

                '’Do you see, Onew? She can and faster than you. You should be ashamed.’’ Yoseob said to Onew which was sorrowfully looking at SunHee.

                ‘’So I am ready. Have you any wishes?’’ SunHee asked confidently holding her gold-lacquered guitar

                ‘’Play what you want to, you can sing also, there is a mic.’’ DongYul spoke again.

                 ‘’Thank you, so I will play Jaywalking from Shut up flower boy band soundtrack.’’ And she started. From the first chords they were absorbed in her. She looked that she is born to stand on the stage. It was like she became prettier than she was, her eyes sparkled, her face was brighter and her over-the- long dark hair swayed when she bended from better view on guitar’s neck to mic and Yoseob’s jaw fell down. MinJee elbowed him even she was surprised too. She was amazing. Yes in singing she slipped a few times but her skills with guitarcovered it. When she started guitar solo even DongYul made an excited expression and Onew was throwing jealous and admiring glares at her all the time. He also plays guitar so he knew how hard the solo part is. After she finished the song they were just staring at her and she squirmed a little bit because she thought that it was horrible. Then Yoseob awoke and started to crow and clap and the others joined him even just clapping Onew. SunHee blushed. She never played in front of people before.

‘’Um.. thank you very much, thank you, thank you,..’’ she started to bowing.

‘’Let’s stop it,’’ interrupted them Onew. MinJee and Yoseob pierced him with angry sight.

‘’The food will be already cold, I think..,’’ said Onew. MinJee and Yoseob sighed in relief.

‘’Food,’’ shouted SunHee excitedly and then she realized and lowered her head. ‘’Uhm.. sorry.’’

‘’Yep food,’’ Onew agreed and pulled out the KFC bag which was behind the couch. KFC… sure.

‘’Oneeeew, are you serious?’’ cried Yoseob.

‘’Who has never eaten a chicken with me is not my friend,’’ smiled Onew at SunHee.

 

SunHee’s POV

                Everyone burst into laughter. That chicken fanatic. Hahaha. He opened the bag and took out the bucket of chicken. Awwww… I have always dreamt about eating this bucket.

                ‘’You look really hungry, take your first,’’ Onew offered. Uhm.. I always look really hungry when I see the food. I chuckled.

                ‘’Thank you, I’ll eat well,’’ I bowed my head and took the first chicken. Everyone immediately followed me.

                ‘’Cheers!’’ everyone except me shouted and ‘clinked’ with their piece. WTH? They are clinging with chicken also? Onew.. who on earth.. are you.

                ‘’SunHee?’’ Yoseob spurred me.

                ‘’Uhm.. cheers..’’ I ‘clinked’ with them.

                ‘’The roast chicken..’’ Onew shouted.

                ‘’Forever!’’ others completed loudly.

                ‘’Guys.. should I have one question?’’ I asked sheepishly.

                ‘’Sure..’’ MinJee and Yoseob answered unison.

                ‘’Hey! Don’t talk in the same time!’’ both of them exclaimed unison again.

                ‘’Hey again!’’ again in the same time.

                ‘’Let’s stop it okey? We get that your brains are united and so but.. please let SunHee speak, fine?’’ Onew rebuked them.

                ‘’Don’t rebuke your noona, Onew,’’ Said MinJee frostily to Onew and then turned to me again. ‘’So what is it?’’

                ‘’What does mean that roast chicken? You are gang or something?’’

                ‘’Are you really that slow?’’ sighed Onew.

                ‘’We are the rock band, do you want to join us as the lead guitarist?’’ DonYul proffered.

                ‘’Yes, you are really amazing with your instrument and our lead guitarist left us recently,’’ blurted Yoseob.

                ‘’Relax Yoseob, don’t choke with her. Anyway.. he is right I would be really glad to play with you in our band.’’ MinJee admitted.

                ‘’I agree, you are really good.’’ Onew nodded. ‘’You conviced me but don’t think that you are my close friend already!’’

                ‘’Uhm..guys I..’’ I din’t know what to say. It was my dream but.. am I really that good?

                ‘’C'mon.. you like us, don’t you?’’ Yoseob encouraged me.

                ‘’Didn’t you want to say ‘You like me, don’t you?’ ‘’ MinJee.

                ‘’Okey, I accept.’’ MinJee an Yoseob hugged each other and whooped, Onew smiled and DongYul also looked pleased.

                ‘’So welcome. It is pleasure to have you among us. I am leader and drummer. I also compose most of our songs. MinJee is our bassist, Onew singer and guitarist and Yoseob plays keyboard and also sings sometimes.’’ DongYul introduced them and everyone glares at him in surprise.

                ‘’Had everyone heard him?’’ Yoseob emphasized every word.

                ‘’Yes we had,’’ MinJee emphasized her words also. They are really interesting couple.

                ‘’Hey guys. I can speak. Don’t act like that. I am your leader,’’ sighed DongYul and Yoseob acted like he is about to faint.

                ‘’Don’t act like a fangirl, Yoseob,’’ poked him MinJee.

                ‘’You have a healing effect, girl,’’ Onew patted my shoulder and I blushed again.

                ‘’What time is it?’’ I asked with dread when I remembered  the dinner.

                ‘’It’s 6:20, why?’’ I sprang and started to pack my Yun.

                ‘’I must go home. Immediately. I have dinner with my uncle and I must be at 7 o’clock prepared and.. Ohhh I must hurry up.’’ I was freaking out.

                ‘’Calm down SunHee, it’s about 15 minutes there. We will accompany you,’’ said MinJee.

                ‘’Thank you very much,’’ I started to bow again.

                ‘’Stop, you are in hurry,’’ warned me Onew.

                ‘’Oww, yes, uhm.. let’s go‘’ I grabbed the case and we set out. So I am the member of rock band. I can’t believe this.

 

A/N: So SunHee is now part of The Roast Chicken. YAY! Let me know how you enjoyed this chapter. Thank you for your support ^^
         Btw. I had to modify real date of birth for the needs of the story.