Chapter Eighteen

This is How It Goes

|Chapter Eighteen|

 

Mone grinned. "Awh," she cooed. "Kim Jong-in is capable of love," she joked. Seeing him pout, she could only grin more. "Yah, what are you pouting for?"
"I'm not going anywhere until you say it back, because I know you love me, too."
"Well, speak for yourself," Mone retorted.
"Say it," Jong-in whined.

"I.. aish," she breathed, letting out a soft giggled. "Saranghae, oppa."

Jong-in grinned throughout the entire ride to the school.

 

 

Jong-in was shaking, his hyungs patting him down to calm his nerves; however, the only thing keeping him handcuffed to the borderline of sanity was Mone's small hand enveloped in his. He swore he was cutting off all the blood circulation to her hand, but he promised to himself that he would make it up to her by putting on a great show.
"It's just a solo, man," Lay told his dongsaeng. "You've done plenty of these at the clubs."
"Well, yeah," Jong-in wavered, "but those were clubs. This is a schoolwide showcase. Talent scouts, teachers, and Headmaster Lee is here."
Lu Han rubbed Jong-in head, ruffling the young boy's jet black hair. "Don't worry so much. Listen to your gege and hear me out: you were born to do this, so you're going to do just fine. Just breath.. araseo?"

Jong-in nodded, pulling in Mone for a tight hug. He laid a kiss on her forehead, leaning on her for support. "You should get to your seat; I'm up after this act."
Mone returned his hug graciously, rubbing his shoulders to calm him down. "You'll do fine, oppa," she lectured playfully. "Just listen to your hyungs.. look for me and Myung Dae in the crowd," she smiled. "That should calm you down, right?"
Jong-in nodded, planting one rushed kiss before rushing her out the door. "Mone-ah!"

He caught her right before she was out the door. "Ne?"

"Goh mah woh."

 

 

Mone is disinterested in the act before Jong-in comes on. She's gripping Myung Dae's hand like it's her job, and she's nervous; which makes no sense, since she isn't even performing. Instead, she's in the crowd, muddled with other human beings, waiting to watch her loved one perform. She's no up on stage, performing in front of a full house, so a logical reason for her to be nervous herself didn't occur to her.

The claps and the whoops begin for the last performance, and it soons come to an end; a spotlight gawks at the center of the stage. And the music begins - she doesn't recognize it, but what she does recognize is Jong-in. He's stepping straight out from the curtains, and the line, "She's my baby" tunes.
This is the most memorable, most significant stage Jong-in can ever attain, and he's not holding back. The way his body is moving, twisting, and turning is extremely enticing for Mone to watch. The whole auditorium's quiet, each breath is caught as each progressive note follows up to a crescendo. And he meets her eyes; he's found her, hands covering the bottom half of her face, trying to mask her ajar lips.

He smiles, lightly, flashing his pearly white teeth for the entire audience to see, and that kills it. The final grin, the last bits of the backtrack dwindling into nothingness, the crowd is up, and he's done.
A standing ovation for Jong-in. Roses meant for other children were being poured onto the stage, and he tips his fedora, masking his blush. Whistles, claps, it was an overwhelming experience, an overwhelming applause for surely the best of the talent show by far.
The acts after Jong-in surely didn't even want to go up anymore.

Mone smiles at Jong-in before shooting him two thumbs up, making her way out of the crowd, and to Jong-in who was expectantly waiting for her by the stairs on the right wing of the stage.

"You looked like you were going to faint," Jong-in smiled. His voice was hoarse, and his breathing was ragged. All Mone could do was pull him into a hug, publically placing her lips gently on his. 
"I would've, but fainting meant missing out on your performance," she sighed dreamily. "Jong-in oppa," she gasped. "..Daebak."
Myung Dae laid a hand on Jong-in's shoulder. "Good job, hyung."
And soon, EXO made their way over from backstage to congratulate their favorite dancing machine. 

"You did great, man!"
"Dude, hyung, you were like drunk on music out there!"
"That was amazing, man!"
"I didn't even know you were practicing that routine!"

A chorus of congratulatory remarks didn't seem to end; his friends were proud, and they didn't bother stopping. He deserved it. He killed the show. It was officially terminated because of Jong-in.

"Kim Jong-in shii?"

Jong-in looked up, arm wrapped tightly around Mone's waist. Jong-in could only knit his eyebrows together, as he was unable to recognize the elderly man adorned finely in a dark suit. His graying hair, sharp eyes, and stiff posture screamed authority; Jong-in was intimidated, and his grip around Mone tightened. "Yes, this is he," he replied curtly. "Can I help you.. ahjusshi?"
The man warmly smiled, but it didn't help die down the cold exterior he held. The man could only nod, and stick out his hand for Jong-in to shake. "I really enjoyed your performance out there, Jong-in shii. But let me properly introduce myself. I am Lee Soo-man, CEO of SM Entertainment."

Jong-in fell cold. "I-is that so?" he stuttered, awe-struck and in disbelief.

The man only nodded once more. "Yes. I am one of the talent scouts here, and needless to say, your act was very refreshing. That being so, I, Lee Soo-man, would like to invite you in."
"Invite me in where?" Jong-in inquired stupidly. He had his eyes wide the entire time, and with Soo-man's short, brief reply, he didn't think his eyes could widen anymore:

"I want you to become one of my rookies."