Chapter Thirteen

This is How It Goes

|Chapter Thirteen|

 

"Your brains."

Mone narrowed her eyes down at Jong-in, who laid his head peacefully on her lap as he sprawled himself out across the grass. "My brai- mwoh?"
Jong-in leered up at her cheekily, making himself more comfortable by stealing a strawberry from her crepe and plopping it into his mouth casually. "Your brains are my favorite thing about you," he mumbled through a mouthful of fruit. "How you're smart.. I like that."
Mone let out a soft laugh through her nose, mumbling incoherent murmurs under her breath. "Really?" she inquired. Jong-in nodded, letting his fluffy dark hair sway across her partly-bare thighs. He dabbed his finger into the cream of her crepe and swept the sugary substance onto her nose. He then sat up, scrunching up his nose at her. "Whipped cream suits you," he joked. "You should wear it more often."
He let out a chuckle momentarily, watching Mone wipe it out and swipe some across his arm. "Besides my eyes," he hummed casually, "what else do you like about me?"

He began to probe at her with his teasing eyes, a devilish grin plastered across his visage. Now, Mone realized, he would never be able to come across as incorrigible. Despite Jong-in's heartless playboy demeanor, inside lay another childish teenager, as cliche as it was. She smiled. "You're sort of like a brother I feel the need to take care of," she replied, feeding him a spoonful of kiwi and peach. He chewed whole-heartedly, satisfied with her answer. 

"Jong-in oppa," Mone called suddenly. "Can you-"
"Wait, wait," he interjected, waving his hand. "Say that again."
"Say what again?" Mone knitted her brows at the flamboyant boy in front of her, puzzled.
"What did you just call me?" he coaxed.

"Jong-in oppa-"
"Man, I like that sound of that," Jong-in beamed. "Mian.. carry on."
Mone let out a brief giggle, nudging him playfully whilst giving him a shake for her head. "Can you promise me something?"
He nodded contently.

"Can you promise me that-"

"Omona! Kai-oppa?!"

Jong-in rubbed Mone's shoulders apologetically before turning his head into the direction of the voice. His eyes widened immediately, upon seeing the younger girl leaning over the railing to catch a glimpse at the male lounging on the knoll. "Oh, it really is Kai-oppa! Oppa, annyeong!"
Mone's hand was still enveloped tightly in Jong-in's, but at this moment, seeing him grin back just as enthusiasticaly, mirroring this stranger's elation, she wanted to just yank herself away and disappear under the bridge. "Oppa," she murmured softly.
Mone only caught his attention for a second until the mysterious girl jumped over the railing, screeching as she ran over jubilantly over to Jong-in. Her grin was spread across her slim face from ear to ear, her light brown hair bouncing with each step she took.

The girl rested beside Jong-in comfortably, taking his free hand, grasping it close to where her heart should be. "Oh, I almost forgot how you looked, being in the States for so long!" she cried dramatically. This young girl didn't even pay attention to Mone, who evidently occupied his other hand.
Before she was placed into a a further level of distress, she feld Jong-in's long fingers gently caress the back of her palm soothingly, as he sent a warm smile her way.
"Dani-ah.. meet my girlfriend, Kang Mone. She's your unnie, so be nice, araseo?"

Mone raised her brows softly at this Dani, bowing her head lightly to show her civility. "Annyeong, Dani-shii."
Mone resulted in being heavily disregarded; in spite of Mone, Dani simply bowed her head, shot a soft hum her way and averted her attention back to Jong-in. "Oh, oppa, have you been well?"

Mone could've scoffed. Who does this girl think she is? Who was she anyway?

"Oppa, what school are you attending right now?"
Jong-in let out a soft hum, wrapping his arm around Mone sweetly, just silently letting her know that she had his eye. "I attend Seoul Elite.. I did tell you I was going to attend there someday, didn't I?"
There was true familiarity in his voice. They had a history, Mone realized. A sister? Aniya... he's the only child, she recalled. Just who is this Dani?

"Whoa," the girl gushed, eyes twinkling with adoration. "Oppa is so cool! Do you think I can get in if I tried?"
Jong-in merely shrugged. "Try and see.. it's pretty tough though, so you'll just have to work hard."

Mone shifted her gaze back and forth between Dani and Jong-in, switching between each alternating speaker.

"Ah. My umma would be getting worried," Dani sighed. She patted Jong-in's leg casually, planting a soft kiss on his cheek.

Mone observed the scene unfolding before her with true amusement playing in her irises. Jealousy burned inside her, but she was more amazed at the confidence and boldness of this younger girl more than anything.

A kiss on her boyfriend's cheek.

Who does this dongsaeng think she is?