Waking Up

Doppleganger

This chapter is written from the author/Narrators POV.

 

The heart monitor beeped slowly and steadily. A woman sat in a chair by the bed her chocolate brown hair hiding her face, its shine long gone. Her breathing as steady as the heart monitor, the man in the room, and the girl in the bed with th IV stuck in her arm. It's been three weeks since the girl had been transported in from Japan and she'd not woken once. The man was fast asleep, but the woman couldn't dare sleep with her only daughter lying helpless in front of her. Her face had lost some of its color and her cheeks were hollowed. Occasionally, a doctor or nurse would come in and check the poor girls status. There had been no changes since the day they'd brought her in and done her surgery. The anitbiotics that had been pumped into her system had stopped her tremors and flailing she'd done in her coma-like state. 

Quietly the door opened and a nurse walked in, five boys following behind her. The woman looked up and a sad smile graced her face. They quietly went uip to her and hugged her.

"Umma-nim,will she wake up soon?"

"I'm not sure any more. They say she will, but who knows."

The pain was evident in her voice and she seemed like she might break any minute. So they just stopped talking about it. She turned her attention back to her motionless child, whose face is covered by the sheets for protection purposes. The oldest of the five oys moved slgihtly to let the nurse out and a doctor in. One by one the boys filed out. leaving the family and doctor alone.


"Hey, do you guys think we'll ever get to see her?"

"Only if she wakes up SeungRi, I mean seriously that's all we can hope for."

"Umma-nim's really taking it hard. I can't even imagine what she's going through."

"probably why she wont tell us what happened."

"Daesung, SeungRi, shut your mouths now."

"HYUNG!"


The doctor had left and the heart monitor still beeped slowly and steadily. Although the doctor did say that she was showing slight changes it didn't seem so. Then as if to prove the doctor right the heart monitor picked up. the lines getting higher and higher each time; the sound louder as well. The body in the bed jerked violently and a scream tore from under the sheets that eventually fell to the floor. Several nurses and doctors rushed in, removing the fragile woman from the way so as to inspect the figure in the bed. Doctors worked frantically to calm the flailing girl. She was in hysterics as one would be after such an accident. Eventually they just sedated her and soon the girl was calm enough to hold a small conversation with the doctors. They explained where she was, how she'd gotten there, what had happened, and what had been done to save her life. after that they left her and her parents alone.

"Okasan, Otousan, gomenne."

"Iie, it's not your fault. You couldn't have known sweetheart."

She patted her daughters hand and smiled as the girl drifted to sleep.

"She'll be fine alone tonight dear. We should probably let her "brothers know she's okay now."

"Of course."