Chapter 5 part I

Guardian Angel

A/N: So since I ended up kinda expanding the chapter more than I thought I should, I split it into parts. I haven't written the rest yet, so not sure how many, though I'd guess 2 parts. Anyways, enjoy! And also, thank you for all the beautiful comments and subscribers hoho.  Also, if there are any mistakes, please let me know! I'm still a young, newb author :3

 

---

 

“[Amber…]” Krystal whispered under her breath. This was her Angel. This was the person in the sky that had saved her life; even though that thought sounded funny, it was nothing less than the truth.

 

“[What’s wrong?]” Amber asked.

 

“[Oh… it’s nothing,]” Krystal replied. It seemed that Amber did not recognise her at all. She wasn’t exactly sure of how she should have felt in this situation. What was she supposed to say? “Oh hey, remember me? You were my Angel and you saved my life.” It didn’t exactly sound good, and may have even been regarded as a super corny pick up line.

 

Music suddenly interrupted Krystal’s musings. She reached into her handbag and pulled out her phone; the caller was Jessica.

 

“Hey, Jess?”

 

“Krystal! Where are you?” came the shrill voice on the other end. “What happened? Are you alright? Is-“

 

“Yah, unnie, calm down,” Krystal hurriedly said. “It’s okay, I’m perfectly fine and they’ve got the thief. What are you guys doing and where are you?”

 

“We’re at McDonald’s right now, actually,” Jessica said. “Grandma’s hungry, and dad just wants to eat something. Come over here now!”

 

“Alright, I’ll see you in a bit,” Krystal replied before hanging up. As she ended the call, she noticed that she had quite a few missed calls from her parents, but that was understandable.

 

“[Are you going now?]” Amber asked.

 

“[My family’s over at McDonald’s now. Do you wanna come?]”

 

“[Oh heck yeah. It’s food and it’s junk!]” Amber’s smile was really cute, and Krystal liked it a lot.

 

“So my Korean was bad enough that you could tell that I spoke English?” Amber asked playfully.

 

“Your accent was so thick that I couldn’t even understand you,” Krystal . Amber responded with an adorable pout that surprisingly suited her very well. It was enough to make anyone melt.

 

“[Well, I did just come here from America, you know,]” Amber said.

 

“[Oh really? What are you doing over here?]”

 

“[In a way, I’m here because my dad wants me to study here.]”

 

“[That’s interesting. What school are you going to go to?]”

 

“[I don’t even know, I haven’t checked yet…]”

 

“[Dork,]” Krystal smiled. It was really easy to get along with Amber. Their personalities meshed together quite well.

 

“[Well, since you’re the first person I’ve met, can we be friends?]” Amber asked with a hopeful look in her eyes. Krystal resisted laughing at the cute expression.

 

“[Does that mean if you met some old man, you’d be friends with him?]”

 

“[Well, even old men are friendlier than you, Krys.]”

 

Krystal elbowed Amber in the side in response to that comment. It felt nice to hear Amber call her Krys, actually.

 

“[Haha, ow, take it easy. Come on, let’s exchange numbers?]”

 

Krystal pretended to consider the suggestion.

 

“[Hm… Give me one reason why I should give you, a total stranger, my number?]”

 

“[Because one, if it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t have a phone anymore, and two, because you love me,]” Amber replied smugly with her heart-stopping grin.

 

Krystal punched Amber on the shoulder, but this time so that the other girl wouldn’t notice the slight blush on her cheeks.

 

“[Alright, let’s exchange.]” They swapped phones and gave them back after they had entered their details into the other’s phone.

 

Krystal led the way over to McDonald’s, where she saw her dad standing in line to buy food. She was about to tap him on the shoulder when she heard the message tone from her phone. She pulled it out of her bag to see a message from Jessica.

 

Is that your new boyfriend? :D.”

 

Krystal rolled her eyes, but couldn’t stop a little smile from entering her expression.

 

“Hey, dad~” she called. Her father heard and turned around. He gave her a wide smile.

 

“Soojung! What happened? We were so worried! We only heard Jessica scream and saw you running away. We tried running after you, but you were too fast!” he exclaimed. “I guess I should be proud of your athletic skills.”

 

Krystal just smiled in return and hugged him. “Well, I’m safe now, dad.”

 

Just then, Mr. Jung noticed Amber standing there a little awkwardly. Trying not to show the surprise on his face, he beckoned Krystal closer. He leaned in and whispered in her ears, “Is this your new boyfriend?”

 

“Huh? Wha-? Dad, no! Noooo… She is not my boyfri- I mean girlfriend… wait what?” Krystal was obviously a little flustered.

 

“She? Girlfriend? You have a girlfriend now?” In response to this question, Krystal hit her father lightly.

 

“No! I don’t have a girlfriend or a boyfriend, dad.”

 

“I know, I’m just kidding,” he responded with a teasing smile. Amber chuckled lightly, amused at the interactions between Krystal and her father. Mr. Jung raised an eyebrow in an intimidating manner at Amber; he had a strong build and used to box before he became a business man, so the gesture usually worked quite well on teenagers and younger adults.

 

“Ah, hello sir. I’m Amber, nice to meet you,” Amber said politely. Her introduction was accompanied with a formal bow, and he noted that she did not seem fazed at his intimidating eyebrow-raise. He grinned appreciatively; he wasn’t going to let Krystal go out with someone who couldn’t even stand up to him.

 

“Hello Amber! You’re a friend of Krystal’s, right? I’ve not met you before. Care to explain your relationship with her to me?”

 

Krystal groaned; she was embarrassed at how blunt her father could be at times. She peeked out of the corner of her eyes to gauge Amber’s reaction, but surprisingly, Amber responded positively to the “subtle” questions with a small laugh.

 

“[Amber, I’m just gonna leave you here, okay? I have to go talk to Jessica.]”

 

“[Okay! See ya later.]”

 

“[Oh! You speak English, Amber?]” her father butted in.

 

“[Yes sir. I just came from the States…]”

 

Krystal took this as a sign that everything was going well with Amber and her father. How was Amber able to talk to others so easily? She wished she had that talent too. She promptly left to the direction of her family. As she entered the seating area, a familiar voice called out her name.

 

“Soojung!”

 

It was her grandma, waving and smiling to her at one of the tables; she was seated alongside Jessica and Krystal’s mother.

 

“Grandma!” Krystal hugged her happily; she had missed her kind, sweet, gentle grandma.

 

“So Soojung, Sooyeon told me about this cute boy you were talking to before,” Mrs. Jung began.

 

“Aw umma, not you too! She’s a girl and her name’s Amber,” Krystal explained.

 

“Omo! That’s a very handsome girl then,” Mrs. Jung complimented, obviously rather shocked.

 

Krystal laughed at the similar expression that had appeared on Jessica’s face.

 

“Yes, Amber is a girl,” she repeated. “She was also the one that stopped the thief for me.”

 

“What’s this about a thief, Soojung?” her grandma asked curiously while two gasps were heard from Mrs. Jung and Jessica.

 

“Well, Amber-“

 

“Whatcha talking about Krystal? Oh wait, sorry, keep talking,” came Amber’s voice. Krystal turned around to see Amber standing there beside her dad, each with a tray of food in their hands.

 

“Oh, annyeonghaseyo, I’m Amber, Krystal’s friend,” Amber said, giving a little tilt of the head as she introduced herself to Krystal’s family.

 

“I’ve already thanked your charming young friend for you, Krystal,” Mr. Jung said.

 

“Soojung, what is all this about?” Grandma asked again.

 

“Hey Amber, you tell her,” Mr. Jung said, clapping Amber hard on the back; Krystal noticed that Amber just shared a polite smile. She suddenly felt like frowning. Was Amber always this friendly with everyone? The thought was a little strange, even if it was just towards her father…

 

“Oh, um… I don’t actually know what happened. I just stopped some random guy from running away with Krystal’s bag,” Amber explained modestly.

 

“Oh please. From what I saw when they carried him out to the ambulance, he had at least a broken arm,” Mr. Jung grinned.

 

“Wow, what’d you do Amber, pull some wrestling or martial arts techniques on him?” Jessica laughed.

 

“Ahaha… I kinda just… jumped on him,” Amber said; she scratched the back of her head and gave them an embarrassed laugh.

 

“I’m impressed,” Grandma said. “Thank you for Krystal, Amber.”

 

Amber hid a content smile on her face as she bowed politely. “Thank you.”

 

“Come, eat with us Amber,” Mrs. Jung said kindly.

 

Amber sat down next to Krystal and began to eat her food. They both listened as the parents, Grandma and Jessica started a conversation about Grandma’s holiday. Krystal wanted to talk to Amber, but she wasn’t sure what to talk about.

 

“So Amber,” she suddenly blurted. When she didn’t continue, Amber gave her a curious look.

 

“Yes, Krys?”

 

“Um… so what were you talking about with my dad before?” Krystal said. They were the first words that came to mind.

 

“Oh, we were just discussing what happened before when your bag was stolen, I guess,” Amber said as she popped the last bit of burger in .

 

“Is that all?”

 

“Yep.”

 

---

Amber’s POV.

 

We sat in silence again. I wondered if Krystal was going to talk again, but when it became apparent that she wasn’t going to say anything, I spoke up.

 

“I like your family, Krystal. They’re very nice.”

 

“Oh, really?”

 

“Yep.”

 

 

What the heck? She was so free with her words and actions before, even going so far as to punch me if I . What was with the short questions and replies?

 

Suddenly, she pulled out her phone and started playing with it. Curious to see what she was doing, I edged closer to her on the bench so that our shoulders touched.

 

“Whatcha playing, Krys?” I asked playfully. Instead of answering me, she handed me her phone. I took the phone from her hand and saw that she had typed something on it.

 

I’m really sorry, but I feel uncomfortable talking around my family, mainly because I know they’ll tease me, it read.

 

I chuckled inwardly at the message. I had a small inkling as to why she would be made fun of, but I wasn’t sure, so I typed back to her.

 

Aw really? What do they tease you about? D: - Amber.

 

She smiled, but seemed to hesitate a bit as she wrote a reply and I saw the reason why as I read it.

 

Well, it’s just whenever they see me with a hot/cute person, they tease me about them… - Krystal.

 

I quickly keyed back a reply. I seriously couldn’t resist typing it. One should always take advantage of one’s opportunities, I reckon.

 

Ohoho. Does this mean you think I’m hot and cute? Keke :D – Amber.

 

She turned slightly pink and punched my arm. It didn’t really hurt, but I yelped out of reflex; there’s the Krystal I was looking for. Her family stopped talking and looked at me.

 

“Soojung, you shouldn’t hit Amber like that,” Mrs. Jung admonished her.

 

“Sorry, Amber,” she whispered to me.

 

“Nah, it’s alright I shouldn’t have teased you,” I apologized. She gave me a small smile. Smiles fit her perfectly, I thought.

 

“Amber is such a polite kid,” Grandma complimented me. “When are you going to find someone like her, Soojung?”

 

I laughed at the cute expression on Krystal’s face before I stood up.

 

“Please excuse me, I need to use the restroom. Krystal, can you show me where it is?” I said, adding a small wink at the end. She understood and stood up as well, but not before getting a half subtle nudge from her sister, to which she replied with a frown. Unconsciously, I mirrored her expression; a frown did not suit her pretty face.

 

I followed her as she found the way to the toilets. Before I could enter the female toilets with her, however, I felt a hand clamp down tightly upon my shoulder. A stream of rapid, aggressive Korean words burst out from behind me and all I could do was stutter, “S-Sorry?”

 

“I said the men’s toilets are that way,” an old man growled, jabbing his thumb in the opposite direction of the women’s toilets.

 

“Oh, uh, I’m actually a girl,” I tried explaining.

 

“Nonsense, you ert!” he yelled at me. I glanced around helplessly and saw Krystal standing to the side, obviously confused.

 

“Is something the matter, ahjussi?”

 

“I’m just stopping this boy from entering the ladies’ toilets,” he stated smugly with a triumphant grin.

 

“…Ahjussi, she’s actually a girl,” Krystal said.

 

“Are you serious?” The old man’s face held an expression of utter disbelief. “Sorry, kid.”

 

He walked away, but I heard him mutter, “Aish, kids these days…”

 

I pulled Krystal into the ladies’ bathroom before anyone else could stop me and make a scene. As soon as I walked through the door, I was met with the horrified and accusing stares of three older women.

 

“A girl, she’s a girl,” Krystal muttered quickly in an attempt to diffuse the tense atmosphere. Their expressions mellowed somewhat, but they still half-ran out the door.

 

I threw myself into a cubicle and locked it before anything else could happen. Jesus, that was embarrassing.

 

I flushed after I finished my business and stepped outside to wash my hands, where I saw Krystal waiting for me.

 

“[Thanks, Krys,]” I said as I the tap. “[I probably would’ve been taken away if you weren’t there. Imagine that, arrested on the first day in Korea.]”

 

I chortled and gave her a grateful smile, to which she responded in kind.

 

---

 

General POV 

 

Amber stood there, letting the water run over her hands.

 

“[You know, you shouldn’t worry about them,]” she spoke up. “[I’m sure they’re just trying to lighten up the mood, you know, after the incident. In reality, they’re all really worried about you.]”

 

Krystal nodded. She understood the logic behind Amber’s words, but the statement sounded slightly strange to her ears. After mulling over it for a few seconds, she suddenly knew why.

 

“[What incident…?]” she asked slowly.

 

“[Your almost car crash, Krys.]”

 

Krystal’s eyes widened. “[How do you know about that?”]

 

“[How do I know…? Huh. That’s a funny question. How do I know?]”

 

The pair stood there in silence, Amber still washing her hands while Krystal just stared at her, eyebrows furrowed. Realistically, Amber had just arrived from the States and they had known each other for less than half a day. Without Krystal telling her about it, how on earth could Amber have known about it?

 

“[Well, maybe someone’s told me about it,]” Amber reasoned. “[I mean, how is it possible that I would know about it if someone didn’t mention it?]”

 

“[True, but… maybe if you were there?]” Krystal murmured quietly.

 

“[What? Impossible! Krystal, you know I’ve just arrived here in Korea, and the whole time I’ve been with you, you were perfectly fine. I would’ve seen it if a truck almost killed you, right? So logically, someone’s gotta have told me.]”

 

“[Right…]”

 

Amber moved over to dry her hands, while Krystal was just deep in thought. So it seems like Amber knows a lot, but she doesn’t remember anything... I’m sure no one’s told her about it either.

 

Suddenly, Amber grabbed and held both of Krystal’s hands in her own while giving her a warm smile at the same time. “[Look Krys, just don’t worry about your family, okay? You’ve got me now, even though I seem to be the reason for all that teasing.]”

 

Krystal couldn’t help but laugh out loud. “[How do I know you’ll always be there for me?]”

 

“[Just trust me on it, Soojungie,]” Amber said affectionately, and she pulled Krystal into a tight hug.

 

Krystal was obviously a little surprised, but returned the sweet gesture. Usually, she wouldn’t have been hugging people she was only acquainted with for a little less than a couple of hours, but Amber’s aura was warm and enticing; the hug they shared made Krystal feel safe, but also strangely happy inside.

 

“[Come on, let’s go back to them, Krys.]”

 

Krystal nodded and walked back outside, Amber’s words replaying through her mind.

 

“You’ve got me now, just trust me on it, Soojungie.”

 

---

 

A/N: Aw, wasn't that cute? -wipes tear-

God I'm so weird. LOL. Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed it, or at least had it take your mind off of boredom. Until the next update! :D

Also, comments and subscribers make me a happy Derpy, so... wait that sounds weird. Anyway, it's always nice to get comments and I think I should shut up now. <3