Chapter 1

Guardian Angel

 

“Finally,” she breathed. “School’s over!”

 

The bell had just rung, signalling the end of the day as well as the end of the second school term. There was a small commotion as students made a quick rush to get to the door. Krystal was perfectly happy to just stand back and wait as the wave of students slowly emptied out into the corridor.

 

“Wooo!” a tall girl next to her yelled as she did a fist pump, uncaring of the fact that their teacher was still there. “School is over!”

 

“Gosh Sul, can you get any more excited for break?” Krystal laughed.

 

Sulli let out a loud laugh as well, unable to contain herself.

 

“Well, you know… IT’S THE END OF SCHOOL! We’ve got a two week break now! You seem pretty damn excited too, you know,” she added a tad sarcastically.

 

Krystal merely rolled her eyes playfully as she grabbed Sulli’s hand and led her out into the corridor. A shorter girl bumped into them, eyes twinkling happily.

 

“Yay guys! No more school!” she said, pulling Krystal and Sulli into a huge hug.

 

“Oh I know, Sulli’s been telling me all about it,” Krystal said.

 

“AH! YOU GUYS!”

 

The trio turned as they heard a familiar voice shout out loudly.

 

“UMMA!” they replied in unison as they ran forward to meet Victoria. They all crashed into each other, hugging and laughing loudly in the middle of the corridor without a care in the world.

 

“I can’t believe it, it’s-“

 

“The end of school, we know!” they shouted happily.

 

“So um… are you guys doing anything later?” Luna asked. “Onew and I were planning to go to the mall, just hang out and celebrate.”

 

“Oooh, I’ll ask Taemin,” Sulli said excitedly.

 

“I’m pretty sure Nichkhun’s free as well,” Victoria added.

 

“I’m always free guys,” Krystal laughed.

 

“Alright, that’s awesome! Come on, let’s go now?”

 

They all agreed and left to each of their respective lockers. Krystal was the only one out of the bunch who didn’t have a boyfriend. Many guys had already confessed to her, but as she rejected them one by one, the masses had lessened, though one tried every now and then. It was never awkward going out with the others though; they were all extremely close and considerate enough to not make Krystal feel like a 7th wheel. She did feel lonely sometimes, but she didn’t feel anything for the would-be dates, nor did she know them well enough.

 

For now, however, she felt comfortable enough with her little group of friends.

 

As soon as everyone had shoved all their unneeded books and items away, they all met up at the school’s front gate.

 

“Hold up, guys,” Krystal said. “I need to make a quick stop home so I can drop this crapload off.” She pointed towards the bulging backpack that was hanging painfully off her shoulder.

 

“What, so much homework?” Sulli asked with innocently wide eyes.

 

“Yeah, you’re in my classes too, Sul, aren’t you gonna do any?” Krystal questioned her incredulously.

 

“Nope, can’t be bothered,” Sulli grinned. Taemin sighed.

 

“Should we come with you?” Victoria asked.

 

“Ah, I’ll be fine, guys,” Krystal smiled. “Meet you later at the mall!”

 

There were various farewells made before Krystal started walking home, slower than usual because of the heavy bag. However, she made it home in one piece and managed to struggle her way up to her bedroom on the second floor of her house before she dropped everything off with a pronounced sigh of relief.

 

“Hey mom?” Krystal called loudly, breathing deeply.

 

“Yes, what is it Soojung?” her mom replied.

 

“Can you drop me off at the mall? All my friends are there right now and we’re kinda celebrating today. Last day of school, remember?”

 

“Sure honey, we’ll go now.”

 

Krystal quickly dashed on a bit of lip gloss before running out to the car, handbag flying.

 

---

 

Night had descended upon the city, and laughter could be heard coming from a small group of happy teens as they dined on an exquisite feast of fast food.

 

Krystal had spent the last three hours window-shopping with Sulli, Victoria and Luna while the three guys went off to pursue their own interests, and all seven had just met up in the food court before they bought their portions of food. She had really enjoyed herself, only she couldn’t help feeling like something was missing. She had felt like this for quite some time lately, but she didn’t want to dwell on the lonely feelings, in case she dampened the mood of the three happy couples in front of her. As miserable as she felt at times, it wasn’t right for her to just accept the confession of some dude who professed his love for her, when she knew nothing about him.

 

“…ys… Hey, Krys!” A worried voice broke through her depressing thoughts and she quickly shook herself.

 

“Y-yeah Luna?” Krystal replied, trying to sound nonchalant while she picked at her fries, albeit somewhat forlornly.

 

“Are you alright? You don’t really… look well,” Luna said hesitantly. Everyone else was staring at her with the same concerned expression.

 

I should be pumped for the end of school… why am I acting like this?

 

“I dunno… I think it might have been something in the food,” she lied. She really didn’t want to ruin it for the others.

 

“Aw, poor baby,” Victoria cooed. “Do you wanna call your mom?”

 

Krystal shook her head sharply; her mother was probably out as well. “No thanks, I’ll walk home Vic-umma.”

 

“Oh okay, we’ll walk with you then,” Victoria said, gesturing to Nichkhun. He stood up and threw away the rubbish from the food.

 

“No, that’s okay, I can walk ho-“

 

“Krystal, we’re your friends. It should be our job to make sure you get home safe,” Victoria said. Coming from their kind umma, it almost sounded like she was scolding Krystal, though it was softened by her ever present smile and gentle tone.

 

“O-okay…” Krystal sighed. She couldn’t believe she had managed to ruin it for them anyway.

 

The rest of the group stood up as well and discarded the remaining bits of trash while chattering between themselves happily. Even though she felt like a total for spoiling the evening, she was glad she had them for friends. Despite her feelings at that moment, she managed a small smile.

 

Krystal, Victoria and Nickhun parted ways with the rest after the intersection, as the two groups had to catch different buses back to their respective homes. After another round of farewells and take cares, Krystal started off towards their nearest bus stop. She pounded the button for the crossing light before standing back to wait with Victoria and Nickhun. They were engaged in their own little conversation, and Krystal didn’t want to disrupt the moment, so she simply stared up at the sky and settled for watching the twinkly stars.

 

God… I don’t know if you exist or if you’re listening, but please… can you do something about my forever alone status? I hate feeling this way, and especially around my great friends, who’ve done nothing but worry for me.

 

A flash of green caught her eyes and she looked back down to notice that the light had changed colour, indicating that it was safe for her to cross the road.

 

She had barely taken 3 steps across the road before she saw a rush of movement out of the corner of her eyes. Somewhere in the back of her brain, she dimly registered the panicked voices of Victoria and Nichkhun shouting at her to come back. Her “conscience” was screaming at her to quickly get out of the way, but she could only stand there, frozen in place as she watched the huge 2-tonne truck barrelling its way towards her.

 

Perhaps it was the adrenaline rush that seemed to take over her, but at that moment, Krystal took in everything as clearly as if she were watching everything in slow motion on a high definition TV. The truck was white, and both of its headlights were smashed, which might have been the reason why Krystal didn’t notice the truck at first. The windshield was fairly clean, yet grimy at the same time. Krystal could see the driver’s expression. He was clearly horrified while he appeared to frantically smash his horn to get her attention, but with the blood pounding furiously in her ears, she heard nothing.

 

Before she could take in anything else, however, she felt an irresistible tug at the corner of her mind compelling her to look up. She did so, and in that moment, she saw the image of an Angel. She had never seen one before, but the perfect, brilliant white figure could not have been anything else. She didn’t react at this spectacular sighting; her brain did not seem to function normally anymore as the certainty of death loomed over her, but she watched in awe as the Angel lifted her arm with a panicked expression. In fact, her brain was so disconnected that this whole scene felt perfectly normal.

 

Her attention was focused on the Angel, but she knew the truck was about to hit her; this was the reason she disregarded anything that might happen to her. There was nothing she could do at that moment.

 

And then the Angel moved. Her arm swung sharply to the side with her hands outstretched in a wide sweeping motion, as if she were clearing a table of its contents. As this movement commenced, there was a loud screeching noise in front of Krystal. The truck’s body suddenly lurched to the side as some massive unknown force pushed it towards the opposite side of the street. Luckily, it came to a stop before it could crash into any buildings.

 

Krystal glanced up again, wishing to take in the image of that white figure before anything else happened. The Angel had short brown hair, with splashes of blonde in places. She looked boyish, yet there was a certain feminine quality to her that told Krystal blatantly that she was not a guy. There was a golden halo floating above her head, and a pair of massive, feathery wings beating on either side of her. Her perfect face was graced with a somewhat relieved expression before she broke into a large, unrestricted grin.

 

“Thank goodness you’re safe, Krystal.”

 

In that instant, Krystal felt a connection of unimaginable strength flow between her and the Angel.

 

“Yeah, thanks… Amber,” Krystal said, smiling back. Where the name came from, she had no idea, but she just knew it was right.

 

Somewhere in the back of her mind, she heard the voices of two familiar people shouting anxiously. She turned around to meet Victoria and Nichkhun so she could show them she was fine when suddenly, a bout of vertigo overtook her senses, and she dimly was aware of the fact that the ground seemed to be rushing fast towards her face while the world swirled around her dizzily.

 

And then everything went black.

 

A/N: Omg, first chapter! Hope you guys enjoy. However, I will say one thing. Expect it to be vague. I know very little of Korea's customs, places and whatnot. If I even try to research, my brain won't be able to handle the influx of information. I hope you'll forgive me on that part.

Other than that, thank you for the comments and subscribers!