Prologue

Guardian Angel

 

Krystal. Krystal Jung.

 

That was the name of the girl I was watching 24/7.

 

No, I’m not some kind of creepy stalker if that’s what you had in mind.

 

My name’s Amber Liu and I’m actually an Angel, but hold on, let me just explain something first.

 

All the Angels reside in a realm apart from the Humans – our realm is known as Heaven. There is a separate realm from ours, and it’s called Hell, where all the Devils live.

 

God assigns each of the Angels to look after a person on Earth. We do our best to look after them using our powers – the common way to do so is to act as the Humans’ inner voice; they’re under the impression that our guidance are their consciences. I guess the Devils try just as hard to convert the Humans to darker thoughts.

 

Each Angel has a slab of glass, similar to those mirror objects that Humans use, and using it, the Angels can see into their Human’s life. Using our power, we may also be able to influence small happenings around them as well, but nothing too big or we run the risk of exposing ourselves.

 

 God has warned us – we are never to reveal ourselves to the Humans, lest they become reliant on our powers and lose all sense of self-preservation… or something like that.

 

Krystal had been a good Human all her life; no drugs, no crimes, nothing. She didn’t seem to be influenced in anyway by any bad forces nor led astray, so I guess I was doing a pretty good job so far.

 

I think something’s wrong with me as an Angel though. Whenever the Human we are assigned to passes away, God gives us a new Human to look after, and the cycle repeats. I’ve never felt anything for any of the Humans I’ve watched over, but Krystal… there was something about her. I’m not sure what it was though. No matter how hot, handsome, cool or ANYTHING the previous Humans were, I never managed to feel anything for them like what I felt for Krystal. I never spoke of the matter to any of my fellow Angels; even I viewed myself as an abnormal Angel.

 

After all, Angels weren’t supposed to fall in love with their Humans.

 

However, I had a job and I had to do it. It’s just that I felt so… overprotective of her, and I was afraid of what I might do if something happened to her.

 

Well, she’s lived a good 16 years’ worth of her life so far. What could possibly go wrong now?