Chapter 3

Guardian Angel

 

Note: Everything is spoken in Korean unless “[dialogue is like this].” This is English, unless stated otherwise.

 

*Beep* *Beep* *Beep*~

 

The sound of the machines beeping constantly filled up the quiet room, where Krystal lay unconscious.

 

Jessica sighed. Almost two days had passed since she had received news of Krystal almost ending up a human pancake from a terribly distraught Victoria, who had then proceeded to apologize profusely to the older Jung sister before breaking down into more tears. Jessica managed to calm her down by convincing her that it was not her fault Krystal had almost died.

 

Jessica had wanted to hunt down the truck driver who had almost committed that crime, but he had already confessed to driving dangerously on the road without fixing his headlights. She had managed to get a good hit on him before being restrained by Yuri, so she settled for giving him the worst death glare he would get in his entire life.

 

Had Jessica been given permission to, she would have stayed in Krystal’s room for both days, but hospital regulations didn’t allow her to do so. She would have done it anyway if it wasn’t for Yuri who had managed to coerce her into going home. The hospital workers were extremely thankful for Yuri’s presence.

 

Jessica felt herself getting pulled down onto someone’s warm body, and she managed to relax slightly. She stole a glance at the clock mounted on high on the wall; it read 8:32pm.

 

“Krystal’s okay. Everything will be fine Jess, stop worrying,” Yuri said, hugging Jessica loosely around the waist.

 

Jessica could do naught but let out another sigh. Yuri simply rested her chin on Jessica’s shoulder and tried her best to relax as well.

 

The pair sat there, slowly calming down in each other’s presence before they heard a slight rustling noise coming from the direction of Krystal’s bed. They both glanced at each other at this heart stopping moment before they heard a groan.

 

“Krystal!” Jessica shrieked before she jumped off Yuri’s lap and ran to Krystal’s bedside.

 

“…Unnie?” came the weak response.

 

“Yes, oh my gosh, Krystal!” Jessica said, clasping her sister’s hands between her own. She couldn’t stop the tears from slowly slipping down her face.

 

“…Why are you crying?”

 

“B-because we thought we lost you!”

 

“Oh… yeah, like I’d die that easily,” Krystal laughed.

 

“I’ll go call the doctor,” Yuri said, smiling as she took in the scene before her. She left the room.

 

“Ah… great start to my holiday, hm?” Krystal joked.

 

“It’s not funny you know, you could have died,” Jessica said sharply.

 

“But I didn’t and that’s the truth of it. Don’t think about what would have happened otherwise, because I’m here right now, aren’t I?”

 

“…”

 

Several footsteps were heard as Yuri and the doctor entered the room.

 

“So, Miss Jung, how are you feeling?” the doctor asked.

 

“Um… just a little tired… and hungry.”

 

“That’s good. Fortunately we don’t have to conduct any tests on you, as you have not actually been physically harmed in any way. Even with the fall your friends witnessed from you didn’t leave a scratch, miraculously, though I guess that’s little in the face of what had almost happened to you. It’s almost as if you’ve got an Angel watching over you.” He chuckled at his little joke.

 

“An Angel… yeah…” Krystal murmured, suddenly breathless. She could only vaguely remember a blindingly white image with a golden halo and glorious white wings, but nothing else. She closed her eyes and struggled to recall the Angel’s face, but without any luck.

 

“Would you like to leave now?” The doctor’s voice broke through her futile attempts to regain that memory.

 

“Oh yeah, please.”

 

The doctor handed her something to sign before he walked outside. Jessica handed Krystal a backpack which had several pieces of clothing in it.

 

“You know, it was just in case you decided to wake up,” Jessica said. Krystal laughed and thanked her before changing into socially adequate clothing; nothing looked more attractive than a hospital gown, right?

 

As the trio walked out to Jessica’s car, Jessica spoke up.

 

“Hey, Krystal. Once we get home, make sure you rest early, okay? Grandma’s coming back from overseas tomorrow, and we gotta go pick her up at the airport. We’re going at 9am, alright, so… just sleep early.”

 

“Unnie, I’ve slept for almost 2 days straight. Do you really think I could sleep anymore?”

 

Jessica laughed in spite of herself along with Yuri.

 

“Well, we’re gonna go home now… or do you wanna go eat?”

 

“Nah… I kinda miss home, knowing that I’ve spent a night in the hospital,” Krystal said, pretending to shiver. Jessica smiled at Krystal’s playful antics, glad that her sister wasn’t depressed or anything after the incident. The rest of the ride home was made in companionable silence, with some soft music playing in the background.

 

Krystal had just been staring out the window into the dark, watching the scenery pass by and she gave a small start as the car glided smoothly over the small bump leading into the driveway.

 

“Krys, do you want me to go make you some food or something? I have to go drop Yuri home,” Jessica said.

 

“Oh, no, it’s okay. I’ll be fine! Have fun, bye Yuri,” Krystal said cheerily, waving to them as she got out of the car.

 

However, before Krystal could retrieve the keys from her bag, the door opened for her.

 

With a slight click, the door to Krystal’s swung inside smoothly to reveal every single one of her best friends and her parents.

 

“KRYSTAL!” they shouted, grinning like maniacs. All the air was squeezed out of Krystal’s lungs as her best friends rushed forward to envelope her in a bone crushing group hug. Her parents just stood at the door, smiling happily as they were glad to see their youngest daughter safe and well.

 

“Guys… guys… I can’t… breathe…” Krystal gasped, although she was happy that her friends cared so much for her. They all broke off from her, laughing and apologizing at the same time.

 

“How did you know I got out of the hospital already?” Krystal asked.

 

“Jessica-unnie sent us a text message telling us that you were allowed to go,” Luna explained as she held up her cell phone.

 

“Oh, okay. Why are you guys all here?”

 

Sulli made a dramatically offended face. “You know… maybe it’s because we’re your BEST FRIENDS?”

 

“I was kidding Sul, relax,” Krystal said.

 

“This is a sign of how much I love you, Krystal,” Taemin said. “I skipped my dance hour to come see you!”

 

Krystal burst out laughing and thanked him. To anyone else, this might have been a childish and overly dramatic statement, and she supposed it was, but she knew how much dancing meant to Taemin. The kid was practically a dance machine.

 

“I’m so honoured that you would do that for me,” Krystal grinned, doing a little bow as she spoke. However, as much as she loved her friends, she couldn’t think about anything other than the Angel; her head was actually starting to hurt.

 

“Um, guys, you know I love you and all, but… I’m feeling really tired and my head feels terrible, so… can you please let me get some rest? Pleaseeeeee?” She drew out the “please” with a hint of aegyo, hoping to convince them of her situation.

 

“Aw, okay Soojungie,” Victoria said. “Rest well and we’ll see you soon.”

 

Victoria moved in to give Krystal a hug and a kiss on the forehead before the others all swarmed in for another group hug.

 

---

 

After everyone left, Krystal’s mom spoke up.

 

“Soojung, remember, we have to go pick up your grandma from the airport tomorrow morning, so rest well.”

 

“I know, mom,” said Krystal as she moved forward to hug her parents. “Goodnight!”

 

---

 

At a certain LA airport, several people could be seen looking on with a rather amused expression as they witnessed the scene before them.

 

“[Aw Jackie, let go, I’m gonna miss my flight!]” complained a tomboyish looking girl as her older sibling clung on to her shirt, sobbing dramatically.

 

“[But my baby’s going to go live in Korea. How dare you leave me, Amber?]”

 

“[This is all your fault, you know. If you had accepted dad’s proposition to try and continue Liu Corp over in Korea instead of going to study at a university, I wouldn’t be leaving now, would I?]” Amber sighed and rolled her eyes.

 

“[Oh, I know. That’s why I love you, Ber,]” Jackie smirked evilly. She looked down at Amber with a devilish glint in her eyes.

 

Before Amber could throw back a witty reply, an electronic female voice could be heard over the intercom as it announced Amber’s flight for the final time.

 

“[Oh Jesus,]” Amber panicked. “[I’m really gonna miss my flight!]”

 

“[Alright. Bye Amber. Good luck… and thanks for doing this!]”

 

Amber gave Jackie one last hug and a goodbye before she ran off.

 

---

 

As she settled down in her seat, she closed her eyes and thought to herself.

 

I wonder if anything interesting is gonna happen in Korea.

 

 

---

 

A/N: Finally, an update. As boring as it may seem, it's still an update right? Right right right?

...I'm really sorry guys. School is not exactly helping with the speed of my updates.

I'm sure it's leading up to something (or maybe not... -sobs-), but you'll see what it is in due time. :D

Remember to subscribe and comment if you like it! xD