Childhood

Saranghae... Again. 사랑해... 다시.

December 27th, 2002.

"Oppa!" Seon Yul shrieked as the freezing ball of ice slowly fell off her face. 

"MWAHAHAHAH!!!" Young Saeng laughed evilly as he ran for his life across the park from his psychotic predator who had two large snowballs in both hands - aimed right for his pretty face. When he was a good distance away from her, he turned around and pulled down one eye while sticking out his tongue. Seon Yul was aggravated and more motivated for revenge now. 

Young Saeng weaved his way through the trees of the park. There were so many trees that if it weren't for the playground near the entrance of the park, one could accidentally mistake the area for a forest. He heard the footsteps behind him slow and eventually become faint - then silence. Young Saeng stood panting for breath with his back against a tree trunk. All was quiet - too quiet. His ninja senses told him to check around his surroundings. As he turned to look around the tree trunk - splat! Two snowballs hit him: one right in his face and the other in the centre of his stomach. The silence was gone: Seon Yul burst out from behind the tree and was on the snow, crying her eyes out from the humiliation she had just caused Young Saeng to suffer. 

"Y-y-yo-o-ur-r-r f-f-a-a-ce!! BWAHAHAHA!!!" Her voice stumbled between laughter and the cold snow. Seon Yul pointed to him from her position on the snow and just kept laughing. 

Within the blink of an eye, Seon Yul felt a warm weight on top of her: she stopped laughing and looked up to see the scary gaze of her oppa burning through her. She gulped. "Uhh, hi?"

Young Saeng's eyes narrowed. "Look. what. you. did. to. my. face." Each word was distinct and spaced out. Seon Yul's eyes widened. 

"O-o-ppa..."

His face inched towards her own and she shut her eyes. Young Saeng smirked. Using one arm to keep himself from crushing her, the other gloved-hand flicked Seon Yul's beanied forehead. 

"OPPAAAAA!!!" Seon Yul screamed out in pain and squirmed in agony under him. 

"Gotcha," Young Saeng declared, his smirk still plastered on his face. 

"Oppa..." Seon Yul sniffled. "That... hurt... WAAAAHHH!!!" She started bawling tears. 

Young Saeng stiffened. He didn't expect her to cry from his punishment. He was, after all, just messing with her. He swung his leg off of her and sat crouching to her side.  "Shhhh," he tried desperately to shut her up. "People will hear." OK, partial lie: they were quite deep into the trees as it was and today the park was fairly vacant, but still, people might possibly hear them. 

Young Saeng looked around to see if anyone was nearby. In those 2 seconds he had looked up, Seon Yul had grabbed a handful of snow and shoved it into his face.  Young Saeng's face looked down at her and there was a 3 second silence. Then the laughter of both Seon Yul and Young Saeng echoed through the trees. 

Young Saeng wiped the remaining bits of snow off his face and laid himself down in the snow next to her. Using his arm to create a wall between his cheek and the snow, he turned his head to face Seon Yul. She mimicked his position. 

"Seonnie~ why are you so mean to oppa?"

"Pffft, as if! I believe the real question of the matter is why you're so mean to me!" She hmphed and turned away. 

"I'm older: I have every right to mess with you." As if to prove his point, he poked her back. 

"Yah!" In response, she scooted forward in the snow away from him even further.  Young Saeng smiled at her stubbornness. He squirmed forward as well and wrapped his arms around her. He felt her stiffen in their position. 

"Seonnie-ah~" he cooed. "Don't you love oppa?"

"No," was her immediate response. "I think he's an inmature jerk who is gonna spend the rest of his life tormenting poor innocent females."

"Yah! For your information, I'm gonna be a popular idol singer in the future, making lots of money and having fangirls chase me all over the place just for my autograph," Young Saeng retorted. 

Seon Yul turned around to face him. "Yeah right! You and what talent?!" Talk about lying right in someone's face, Seon Yul thought. 

"You know you love me," Young Saeng answered for her, disregarding all her previous comments. 

She stuck her tongue out at him before getting up from the snow and dusting herself off. He followed suit and the two of them stood enclosed in the trees watching the sun set through the overgrown branches. 

Seon Yul shifted her view towards the boy standing to her right. She took in his profile view and how the sun practically kissed his hair and flawless skin. The view was enough to make any girl swoon or just downright jealous. For Seon Yul, it was both. She envied her male best friend's ridiculously clear complextion and the way he seemed to be perfectly photogenic no matter what he was doing. His skills in the kitchen surpassed her own by light years. Even his knowledge about hair and other so-called "feminine" subjects left her in the dust. He makes a better female than I do, she thought enviously.  But beyond his perfect skin and hair was, well, him. The Young Saeng she knew and - though she would never admit it - loved. The bond between them was something she wouldn't trade anything else in the world for. 

Bzz bzz! Seon Yul's cell alarm rang to warn them it was time to head home. Damn you alarm, she growled in her mind. Ruining perfect moments seems to be your specialty doesn't it? (The other "perfect moments" being sleep).

Young Saeng tore his eyes away from the sky and watched Seon Yul fumble to turn off the alarm on her cell. 

"Time to go?" he asked. 

"Yup."

They stood facing each other for a few more moments. Each seemed to be sizing the other one up. Seon Yul's breath caught in when his brown eyes met her own. He took one short stride and left not even an inch between them. Seon Yul froze (and not because of the weather). It was the perfect Kodak moment: boy looking down on girl with the pinks, purples and oranges of the sky behind them. She plucked up some courage and looked up at him. 

"Let's..." Young Saeng started.

Seon Yul fought to keep her face as expressionless as possible. 

"... race back home. Last one there owes the other a day as servant."

Before she could even blink, let alone comprehend what he had just said, her best friend had taken off faster than lightning through the trees and back to the main park. She slowly turned in the direction of her oppa's laughter. 

Young Saeng-ah... You really know... how to ruin a moment don't you?

Seon Yul shook her head and started running, thinking to herself, How much longer... will I be one step behind you...?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey there. Sorry for lack of format. I'm adding this chapter from my itouch (plus I'm new to this site) so I'm not sure how to fix things yet. When I get back on my laptop I'll see if I can edit it.  Oh, and apologies for crappy chapter -_- I promise to ge better as the story progresses.

[Update] I believe I just finished formatting this chapter. Guess we'll see when i hit 'update' =P