The Lie Begins -- My "Birthday Cake"

He's Just A Pretty Boy... Right?

 

"I can barely walk in these!" I hiss.

            "Relax," my uncle says. "I'm holding you up, aren't I?" He's right; I'm holding onto his arm for dear life as we begin to descend the staircase into the mini ballroom where the "party" is being held. "Remember," he says quickly as we take the first steps slowly, "this is your 'seventeenth birthday celebration' and I've invited many wealthy people here, and you 'happen across' the love of your life on the dance floor." He looks down at me. "Everything is set up perfectly. Now please, just do your uncle a favor and play the part!"

            "Yes, Uncle," I mumble, taking another cautious step. After the fifth step, when I'm more accustomed to walking in these ridiculously high heels, all of a sudden a spot light shines on us.

            Immediately, my uncle's scowl turns into a wonderful, handsome grin at the attention, but I'm blinded for a moment. I squeeze my eyes shut and freeze where I stand. I have a hand up in front of my eyes to block the harsh light, but when I'm sure I've adjusted to the bright, I move it away and look down at all the strangers...

            And cameras.

            Everything is being recorded. Every step I take will be recorded. I compose myself quickly and give a glamorous, surprised smile at the people below.

            "Wow!" I say, with a twinkle of laughter. Everyone claps and cheers for me.

            My uncle smiles at me, gesturing for us to continue walking down the steps with a long, elegant sweep of his arm. I nod with a smile and continue my descent as the cheers and applause continue.

            A couple guys off in the corner give a holler, and I laugh and wave to them. They're jumping up and down and hooting at me.

            We get to the middle of the room after walking through the crowd of cheering people. I recognize some people as some famous music artists and singers who I actually have CDs of upstairs in my bedroom. However, I keep my controlled show of smiles and waves.

            In the middle of the room is a large table with a beautiful birthday cake on it with lit candles. I hold my hands over my mouth to keep a "squeal of joy" from escaping, and I force tears to my eyes by twitching them like I've practiced and staring at a candle intently. I hold a hand to my heart and look around with "tears of joy" to everyone who's clapping and smiling at me.

            "Alright, alright," my uncle calls out, holding up his hands for silence. The applause dies down slowly, and I'm brushing away tears and smiling at him. He looks at me. "I wanted to make this as special as possible for my wonderful niece. Sweetheart, you're like my own daughter, and I love you. Happy birthday." Everyone cheers again at his speech.

            I could almost believe him.

            I laugh and hug him, hiding my face in his jacket. He smells like cigars and brandy. I wrinkle my nose, and thankfully the smell helps bring more tears to my eyes. I lean away from him and mouth "Thank you" easily enough so that cameras and eyes everywhere can see. He grins and nods to the cake.

            I look to the cake with the seventeen candles.

            My real birthday was last week...

            "Go on, sweetheart, make a wish!" my uncle says. Everyone is excited and watching.

            I didn't get a cake, or a party...

            I close my eyes and take a deep breath through my nose.

            My parents were the only ones who gave me a gift, and they're in America...

            The boys in the corner are chanting: "Blow them out! Blow them out! Blow them out!"

            My wish...

            I open my eyes and blow out all the candles at once.

            I wish--!

 

////////////////////

Hey guys, theBOMB here!! I know I didn't update for a while and the few people that actually read the first chapter were like "WTH?? Why hasn't there been an update for the whole summer?!!" yaya I'm lazy... :P

I've actually typed and mostly edited about 8 chapters, I just haven't been online a lot to click that stupid "don't hide this chapter" button... aah well! xD

UM QUESTION: I made a main image for this fanfic on my word document with the rest of my story and I have no clue how to put it up here!!! Anyone know how and can be super awesome and help me out??

So, ya, leave LOTS of comments and suggestions because knowing me and my imagination-less self, it'll end up being like any other k-drama....... *sigh*

BTW random rant time lol: I absolutely HATE fanfics that have SUPER bad grammar!!! Whenever I read them it gets me so ticked that I end up finding all the typos other than reading the story. So in the future, if I haven't updated anything in a while, you guys will know that I've been a perfectionist trying to make this story the best it can be (grammar-wise lol) for you guys~! :D

"Annyeong"~! And "ghansahamnida" for reading!! <3<3

(hmmm..... i wonder who this man is that Yoonjung is looking forward to meeting so much...) ;P