02

Secretly Male

 

Warning: this was written in one go. No editting ^^


 

            “I’m fine, okay?” I sighed in frustration before yanking my arm away from Onew’s soothing hands. His glazed eyes looked solemnly down into mine as his hands tried to grab my arm again.

            “Your arms are still red,” he worriedly explained. His hands flipped my arm around to where I could see bottom of my forearm, red from putting too much weight on them. I used my other hand to gently pull Onew’s hands away. I smiled happily to him to offer more reassurance as I spoke.

            “You worry too much,” I said softly as my thumb rubbed the back of one of his hands, calming the older. When I noticed he was looking a little less glum, I made a move to release his hand. However, he shifted his fingers so that he had a snug grip around mine.

            “This way, if somebody knocks into you again, I’ll catch you,” he clarified his actions, turning to where his back was facing me. We continued to walk through the hallways, heading to our classroom in silence. A few people noticed our hands clasped together and began to comment about it. I was starting to feel self conscious and nervous about it; all my body heat began to feel concentrated in my hand and face. I was literally seconds away from praying to God that my hand didn’t sweat and gross out Onew. However, I was lucky that we made it to class just before that happened.

            I immediately went to our original seat by the window, slouching comfortably into my seat. When I realized people were around, I instantly sat up straight, making sure my posture was nice. My left hand clenched into a fist as my right leg crossed over the left. I rested my elbow onto my knee and leaned my chin into my knuckles. As Onew retook his seat beside me, I shifted myself so I could look at him. He gave me a gently smile before turning his attention back to his notebook. Just as he did, our teacher walked in, ready to teach the next lesson.

            My right hand shifted modes so quickly throughout the period. One minute, it was writing at an intense speed, trying to copy all the notes. Seconds later, it pinched the middle of my pencil and made the instrument flutter around like a butterfly. While I did try desperately to focus on the teacher’s words, my attention was far from the classroom. It was back at the small hallway outside the gym, right where I had made my encounter with that mysterious guy. Perhaps I really shouldn’t say mysterious since I had that strange eerie feeling that he was that person; somebody I knew all too well.

            To clear my mind, I took a glance out the window. Since it was last period, it was the time athletic classes occurred. The boys on the soccer team were playing earnestly on the field. With my teacher’s booming yet unentertaining voice in the background, I tried not to focus on people’s faces. I had the habit of connecting that voice to a person, and it felt weird since they just didn’t match. My eyes were trained on the ball, following its every movement. From when it was dribbled between one guy’s feet to it running on its own, enjoying its freedom; my eyes never wavered. It wasn’t until Onew tapped my arm that I looked away. He gave me a semi-stern look to pay attention in class, but I merely held up my index finger, begging for just another minute.

            My hair cut through the air as I furiously turned my head. My eyes desperately searched for the ball, but I couldn’t seem to find that panda in ball form. Sighing, I glanced up to the boy’s faces, thinking I might be able to see where the ball was based on their expressions. I immediately regretted that decision when my gaze fell on one particular person. Sure I could only see the side of his face, but I was almost positive it was him. I turned away for a second with my eyes clamped shut. After inhaling and exhaling deeply, I mustered the courage to look again. Internally, I was begging God that my suspicions were incorrect, that the person just happened to look like him. When I found the guy again, his back was turned to me.

            I instantly turned my attention back to my teacher as my hand took hold of the pencil and scribbled the notes on the board. Sure my thoughts weren’t cleared, but I’d rather forcibly making myself believe that I was wrong than have it turn out I was correct. For right now, there was no proof. Furthermore, as long as I can prevent it, I’d rather not know.

            The end of class inched closer slowly as I desperately tried to restrain myself. Although I told myself I didn’t want to know, my head kept making a move to look. Onew seemed to notice the internal battle I was having and scooted closer to me. Since he couldn’t just give me a hug while the teacher was babbling on, he awkwardly patted my skirt-clothed thigh. Now it wasn’t really high up or anything sensual; he patted rather close to my knee and more on the outside. In all honesty, I think that was all I really needed. My left hand, which was originally resting in my lap, grabbed his and gave it a tight squeeze. He flashed me his usual sweet smile before turning back to his notes. Even so, he snuggled his hand around mine carefully, giving me most of his attention.

            “Enjoy the weekend,” the teacher finally announced after packing his things. He took the strap of his briefcase and headed to the door. Once gone, all the students began to excitedly cheer. They were each discussing plans with one another while I stood by my desk, getting my things together and in order.

            “Are you going home this weekend?” Onew asked as he sat on the table. His bag was already neatly prepared and off on the side.

            “For Saturday,” I explained with a nod. “But I’ll be back on Sunday.”

            “When do you leave?”

            “Tomorrow morning, so if you’d like to hang out after school-“

            “I’d love to!” Onew exclaimed happily, immediately agreeing with a giddy smile. I laughed at his childishness before closing my bag.

            “I’ll meet you at the usual spot. Let me just drop off my stop first.”

            “Oh, I should probably do that too.”

            “Well, then I’ll see you later,” I bowed slightly before flashing him a smile. We waved to each other before I took off running with my bag in hand. The traffic between the classroom and my room was horrific, so I usually made a mad dash to my room before it got over crowded. Luckily, I made it without bumping into too many people. I carelessly tossed my bag onto my bed, not bothering to properly unpack it. When I glanced in the mirror, I noticed my hair was slightly messy so I took an extra minute to comb it nicely. Not wanting to take to keep Onew waiting, I left the room soon after.

             I had to push through a few people before I made it to the staircase. Once down, I rushed to the end of the hallway to meet with a door. On the other side was a plain field of grass and flowers. Nobody really ever came here even though the spot wasn’t that hidden. Onew and I accidently took this door, thinking it went to the parking lot. However, we ended up loving the small spot of fresh air and silence. I took a seat against the wall before pulling a flower from the ground. My fingers fiddled with the beautiful plant as I patiently waited for Onew.

            In all honesty, this always happened. We’d say we would hang out after school, I run to my room, and rush to come here, only to remember how slow Onew was. He usually used the excuse of how his dorm room was so far, and I’d always just dismiss it as nothing. I smelled the flower, inhaling the wonderfully fresh scent. All the artificial body washes and perfumes I was forced to use could never compare to this small plant.

            “Who do we have here?” I suddenly heard a voice sneer. When I turned to my side, I noticed the pair of delinquents approaching me. With their uniform sloppily worn and hair dyed extreme colors, it made me wonder what they were still doing here. How could such wealthy people become like this?

            “What do you want?” I scoffed nervously, trying to sound confident. As long as I didn’t show fear, perhaps they’d leave me be. That obviously didn’t work; especially when one of them pulled me to my feet and began to examine my face. I desperately tried to push him away, but the other guy slapped my cheek roughly. I hissed at the sudden pain, and the guy merely laughed.

            “Be a good girl, and stop squir-“

            “Get away from me!” I continued to try and fight them. Ugh, where was Onew when you needed him? My eyes widened when I remembered Onew. I had already waited a few minutes, so he had to be really close.

            “Hold her,” the guy who smacked me snarled at the other guy.

            “Help!” I cried as loudly as I could. “Onew, help me!”

            “Somebody, please help me!” I screamed for attention. My arms shakily cover the top of my head as I was slouched on the wet ground. The rain was pouring down on me while the guys continued to kick both of my sides.

            “Shut up; who would help worthless trash like yourself?” one of my attackers laughed at my dismay. I pulled my knees closer to chest as I felt the tears begin to roll down my cheek.

            “Help!” I yelled in horse voice. Soon after, I let out a squeak as I felt a hand on my . My legs made a move to kick, but I was suddenly pushed against the wall.

            “She’s got a really nice body, man,” a guy cheered while pinning my hands above my head. He leaned forward to kiss me, but I turned away quickly. My eyes were down casted since I refused to look at him. He harshly grabbed my chin, forcing me to face him. Just as his face neared, I in my breath.

            “Taeyeon!” Onew exclaimed as he ran to me. All three of us glanced over at the furious Onew as he charged with his fist clenched. “Tae-“

            “-min! Taemin!”I heard my name being called. The kicking began to die down, but I kept my position. My body was shaking in total fear as loud footsteps splashed the rain around.

            “What is he doing here?”

            “Ah, damn it!” my attackers cried as it sounded like that person was getting closer. Suddenly, I heard a scream followed by a body falling down beside me. I pulled my head slightly up, only to be face to face with one of my attackers. He was holding his cheek as he cried in pain.

            “How dare you hurt Tae-“

            “-yeon! Don’t you dare lay another finger on her, understand?” Onew angrily scolded the guys who were suddenly on the ground, far away from me. When had he done all this? Wait, he did that all on his own? I know he’s muscular and all, but he never seemed like the type to actually make use of his strength.

            “We’re sorry!” one of the guys cried as he bowed pitifully to Onew. The other followed suit, never looking up since he was so scared of Onew. I was frozen against the wall, mouth agape as I stared at the sight in front of me. Onew turned to see how numb I was and quickly came over.

            “Are you okay? Oh god, I was so worried,” he began to splutter, completely abandoning the scary Onew. His usual kind and gentle self was back instantly upon seeing me. When I slowly nodded, he pulled me into an embrace. His warm chest calmed me as I snuggled my face into his shirt.

            “Thanks, Onew,” I said in a small voice. My throat began to hurt when I originally tried to speak like normal, probably from screaming so much. I felt Onew’s arms tighten around me, making our bodies press closer together.

            “I was so-“

            “-worried. Taemin, are you okay?” he desperately asked, inspecting my body. Whenever he found a bruise, he ran his thumbs over in gently, as if that small act would take it all away. While he did that, I glanced at the floor, looking at the unconscious bodies around us. He, however, did seem to even care about them.

            “What about them?” I questioned, not really thinking much about myself. The punches and kicks he had inflicted on my attackers left them far more bloody and bruised. When I looked at his hands that were carefully holding me, I noticed how horrible his knuckles looked. “What about you?”

            “Taemin, forget about that. I’m worrying about you.”

            “But your-“

            “-knuckles. Don’t they hurt?” I suddenly cried. A tear slipped down my cheek. When a breeze blew by, it felt my skin feeling so cold. A shiver ran down my spine as I looked anxiously into Onew’s eyes. They were glazed and so glum; I felt my heart hurt knowing that it was my fault.

            “Not as much as my heart. When I thought about what they were doing and going to do to you, I felt my heart felt like it was going to break,” Onew explained with a solemn voice. His arm around my waist pulled me so close I felt my skin beginning to bruise under his touch. However, I didn’t say anything. I merely snuggled into his chest as I felt comforted by the combination of his heartbeat and his hand my hair.

------

            “Are you okay?” father asked after I explained everything that had just happened. After the incident, Onew escorted me to my dorm. He refused to let me go alone, even despite all my protests. Immediately after he left, I called my father to inform him of the situation.

            “Yeah,” I sighed heavily as I threw myself onto the bed. The middle finger of my left hand massaged my temple, trying to rid my headache that was forming.

            “Well, you need to be more careful. Who were these boys anyways?” he continued to pester for information. I told him not to worry, but he demanded that I tell him. He said that it was necessary to take action; otherwise, other people who find out about the incident will bother me. When I fed him the names, he was more than happy.

            “What do you plan to do?” I questioned, curious on what action he might take this time.

            “Mm, perhaps I’ll just tell their fathers.”

            “That is considered going easy on them?”

            “Would you rather I exposed them to the press, destroying their family’s reputation beyond repair?” father countered, a smirk was obviously being worn based on his cocky tone.

            “Whatever,” I grumbled, always knowing to give up after defeat.

            “I’ll see you tomorrow, honey,” he bid farewell before hanging up. I tossed my cell phone lazily onto my bedside table before letting out a series of grunts and groans to release my frustration. What was wrong with today? First, I get knocked over by that guy only to see him, or at least I thought it was him, a second time on the soccer field. Then after school, that terrible encounter with those delinquents brought so many flashbacks. What a horribly nostalgic day.

            Deciding to try and clear my head, I headed to the bathroom for another shower. Since I already did the beauty mutilation ritual in the morning, I could finally just let the heat relax me. I stripped off my clothes before standing in front of the mirror awkwardly. As the water slowly began to heat up, I tugged on the ends of my hair lightly.

            ‘Geez,’ I sighed. ‘Even I’m beginning to think I’m a girl.’ With that thought, I entered the shower. Immediately, the drops of scolding hot water hit my sensitive skin. I bit on my lips as I tried to refrain from hissing out in pain. My hand reached out to readjust the temperature of the water. I moaned in relief when cooler but still warm water soothed my aching skin.

            “Taemin,” a deep, husky voice called to me. My head shook furiously, trying to get rid of that voice that seemed to echo in my mind. My hands fisted the hair on the sides of my head as I crouched down onto the shower floor.

            “Get out!” I cried desperately with my eyes shut roughly. The balls of my feet were beginning to hate the feeling of all my weight on them, but I tried to remain balanced. I pulled at my hair, hoping the pain would keep most of my focus.

            “Taemin, I-“

            “Shut up!” I exclaimed with all my might. My throat felt so sore; my heart felt so heavy. I began to shake involuntarily, fear running through my veins.

            “Why Taemin?”

            “It’s your fault!” I yelled as I stood abruptly. My hand automatically went to the temperature gauge for the shower and returned it to where it was when I first stepped in. I let out an ear splitting scream as the scolding hot water hit my aching skin again.

------

Author’s Note: Man, that was so intense.  I don’t know when I decided to make this so hardcore angst, but that was so weird. If that creeped you out, so sorry. ^^;; I really don’t have any plans. For this chapter, all I really knew I wanted in it was the flashbacks. The shower part kind of just wrote itself. My heart was literally racing during that part. ^^ Well, if that was really freaky, I promise that kind of thing won’t happen again. Actually, I kind of liked it, weirdly enough. I guess it really shows you how painful his past is. Mm, we’ll go with that.

Anyways, I hope you weren’t confused… again. Ugh, I felt that I wrote this really sloppily. What do you guys think? I’m sorry if it was a disappointment. I just really wanted to get another chapter in since I’m going to the beach tomorrow. I’ll be gone for two days, but I’ll try to write as much as I can during the car ride! ^^ Anyways, I hope you enjoyed! Leave a comment! Until next time :)