Five.

Learning How to Live

Yookyung found herself becoming more and more comfortable around Naeun everyday. A whole month had passed since the academic year commenced and Yookyung finally felt like she had a real friend. She found herself smiling, laughing, talking even, to this beautiful girl who she’d only known for so long. She hadn’t yet figured out who she was or what it meant to be herself, but little by little she could feel herself loosen up around her friend. This all stopped when she came in contact with someone else of course. Naeun realised this too. She could see how timid Yookyung really was. She noticed how her smile would perish immediately when someone, other than Naeun, entered her field of vision.

 

 

Once upon a time, Naeun was just as insecure as Yookyung, maybe even more so for her past was not a pleasant one. But she had a warm heart and it was easier for her to open up to people. She had felt pain, whereas for her whole life Yookyung had felt nothing. Literally nothing at all. Which, in a sense, was worse than pain. Yookyung couldn’t emote, she didn’t know how. Both were once unsure of themselves, but for completely different reasons.

Unlike Yookyung, Naeun had spent her childhood under the watchful eye of an extremely abusive parent. Her father, who wasted his life away as an alcoholic, didn’t even know her name. And if he did, he refused to acknowledge her as anyone other than ‘that thing’ or as ‘a disgrace to the family name.’ Her mother had died from cancer four years after Naeun was born. Even though Naeun had no control over her mother’s illness, her father constantly blamed the poor toddler for her mother’s death. Thus causing her to grow up with that scar forever embedded into her heart. The death of her sickly mother caused the beginning of a very tough life. Her father had turned to alcohol for comfort, which initially resulted in minor cuts and bruises. For the first few weeks, the four year old could handle the torture because she herself believed that her mother’s death was her doing. But soon, alcohol became the man’s best friend and eventually the bruises developed into broken bones and almost a decade of anguish for the helpless girl. It wasn’t until she was twelve when she was saved. Her father had stabbed her in her stomach, but because he was drunk, his vision was obscured and he believed that he’d murdered his own daughter. So what did he do? He sprinted away. He fled the country and wept till his tears ran dry. Naeun crawled out onto the street from the cage she called her home, barely breathing. A sweet old man had taken a drive round the city and drove through the abandoned area that same evening and noticed a dying girl on the road. He dashed to her side and took her to the hospital immediately. He shed an abundance of tears for a girl he didn’t know at all. The doctors all believed that she would die but he begged for them to continue treatment. He stayed at the hospital for nights on end, giving up sleep just to ensure the girl’s safety. As he watched her rest, he noticed how breathtaking the young girl was and wondered what sins she must have committed in her past life to receive such brutal treatment. On the seventh week her eyes fluttered open. She looked around the white room, only to find an elderly man sleeping by her bed. was dry and her stomach was craving food, any food. She tried to sit up but a sharp pain shot through her like a bullet. Her body collapsed like a house of cards in a raging thunderstorm. She cried out in agony, only to wake up the man resting beside her. He rushed to help her as tears of relief formed in his eyes.

“You’re awake.” He whispered.

“Everyone thought you were dead, but you’re awake.” He sobbed happily. Naeun didn’t recognize his face, but she knew she could trust him.

“Who, who are you?” She asked.

After weeks of trial and debate, her saviour had been granted legal permission to take Naeun into his custody. He yearned to see her eyes sparkle with joy. His wish was granted a few weeks after she moved into his household. She was scared at first. Very fragile. But who wouldn’t be after such an experience? No child should ever have to undergo such suffering. Soon enough however she opened up to him and he’d never forgotten her first smile. He was the grandfather she’d never had. They played together, all day, everyday.  Her stomach hurt occasionally but it was nothing compared to the torment she once experienced. She owed the man her life, and soon, he became the centre of it. It was as if they’d known each other all their lives. They were as close as you could get to a person. He was wealthy, but lonely. He had everything, but he also had nothing – until Naeun entered his life that is. She made his days shine again. Once his wife had died of old age, he had no other companions. He was an only child; his daughter had already grown up and moved away. He had one grandson who visited occasionally, but nobody physically beside him to keep him company. So Naeun, Naeun was his miracle. His gift from God. An absolute angel. And as she was precious to him, he was just as precious to her. Papa Son, she called him. She adopted his surname too. Son Naeun. It had a certain ring to it that she just adored. Leaving him for boarding school was the hardest decision she’d ever made, but it was what he had wanted. He was right, of course. Boarding school was a great move and she loved it there. She missed her Papa Son but she knew her being here made him happy, so she was happy.

 

 

Naeun sighed as she stood in front of the mirror. She lifted her shirt, only to welcome the thick scar that divided her stomach. Naeun’s eyes glistened as she thought about Papa Son, as she thought about Luhan. Luhan. He was her first friend, her first lover. They were so happy, so in love. What happened? He knew everything; he’d seen her scar and kissed it better. She felt safe in his arms and she missed that security. She missed it a lot.

 

 

Yookyung hadn’t heard her name being called as she made her way across the courtyard. She was too distracted by her thoughts.

“Oi! Hong Yookyung!” She’d finally heard that voice she knew too well.

“Oh hey Naeun.” She replied nonchalantly.

“Oh hey Naeun? That’s it? I’ve called your name at least half a dozen times Yoo.” She exclaimed.

“Sorry Naeun.”

The pair walked in comfortable silence to Religious Studies. As they sat down a pair of familiar shadows neared the classroom door. Yookyung scoffed at the girls around her, fixing their hair and checking their makeup. Naeun unconsciously tugged on the hem of her school skirt as Kyungsoo and Luhan entered the classroom. As always, a hoard of girls offered for the pair to sit beside them and as always, they politely declined. As the two boys walked to the desks at the back, Yookyung noticed Naeun uncomfotably fidget in her seat and stare at the floor. She watched the boys in bewilderment as they glanced at Naeun. Luhan didn’t even try to hide it, whereas Kyungsoo was slightly subtler. She studied their expressions and recognized that whilst Kyungsoo appeared worried, Luhan was overflowing with guilty lust.

Kai was waiting for Luhan and Kyungsoo outside their classroom so that they could head to lunch together and he wouldn’t have to sit at the table by himself, like a loner. He heard their professor instruct them to pack up. The bell rang, signalling the end of the lesson. As the students poured out of the room, the girls would occasionally send him flirtatious looks, which he gladly returned. His smirk faded when he saw Yookyung leave the classroom. She didn’t even notice him. Naeun caught his gaze however and rolled her eyes. Luhan was still watching Naeun even after she left the room; he followed her silently with his two friends trailing behind knowingly. Naeun and Yookyung stopped off at the nurse’s office. Yookyung asked her friend what was wrong; Naeun lied and told her she had cramps. Yookyung sympathetically understood and patiently waited outside sickbay. Luhan and Kyungsoo peered in through the window worriedly and ducked each time she looked back. Yookyung thought they looked ridiculous but didn’t say anything and just leaned against the wall. Kai joined her.

“Hey.” Kai said. No answer.

“Do you want to hang out Saturday?” Still no answer.

"Hello? Hellooo? ... HELLO?"

“Can’t.”

“Why not?”

“Studying.”

“Study on Sunday.”

“I am.”

“You’re going to spend your whole weekend studying?” Kai raised his eyebrows.

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Why else?” She replied monotonously.

“Oh right…” An awkward silence shrouded the two.

“Didn’t you say you wanted to experience freedom?” Kai said, just above a whisper. Yookyung froze. She did. That was her whole purpose of leaving the city. She didn’t reply. She didn’t know what to say.

“Well, I’m taking your words, or lack thereof, as a yes. I’ll make you a deal. Hang out with me on Saturday and I’ll teach you how to live. In fact, write me a list of things you’ve never experienced before. Ten things, that’s all I’m asking for.” She still didn’t respond.

“Okay, good. You’re smart. You should know what I’m saying.” He stopped talking for a while, but he wasn’t finished.

"Meet me at the school entrance Saturday afternoon, twelve on the dot. I’ll be waiting Yookyung.” He left walking backwards – facing her, behind his friends (who were facing the front) flashed his signature smirk and turned around. That was the last she saw of him for the rest of the week.

Naeun saw Kai leave as she exited the nurse’s office.

“Hey you okay?” Yookyung asked, clearly concerned.

“Yeah. Much better thanks” Naeun smiled widely.

“What did he want?” Naeun questioned.

“What did who want?”

“Kai.” His name tasted bitter in .

“Oh he asked to hang out on Saturday.”

“Did you say yes?”

“I didn’t say anything.” Yookyung replied honestly.

“Oh, well, I’m not going to force you to decline, but I’d be careful if I were you.” Naeun warned.

“Why?” Yookyung tilted her head.

“Well if you haven’t already noticed, those three boys are treated like rock stars at the academy. So for one thing, if anything happened between the two of you, i.e. if you guys started dating, the girls at this school would have it out for you. Plus, from what I know, he’s a player. A big one.” She paused and let her words sink in before resuming her preach.

“He’s hot and he knows it, almost too well. He uses it to his advantage and fools around with different girls. I don’t want to see you getting hurt. So please just… be careful.” Naeun’s voice softened towards the end but her words stung. Yookyung felt her heart sink a little after learning Kai was a player. She shouldn’t have been surprised, yet she was. Was everything he told me fake? I’m so stupid; I should’ve known. Where else would he get all that baseless confidence? She scolded herself. Naeun’s comment tugged at her heartstrings. She wasn’t hurt in the romantic sense, but she was disappointed with the fact that the first person she thought was being real wasn’t. She put up her guard once more as she rid herself of, what she thought to be, useless emotions. Her expression turned cold. Nevertheless, player or not, insincere or not, she’d always feel eternally grateful towards Kai as he was the first to show her the world outside her father’s. Even if it meant nothing to Kai, it meant a whole lot to her.

----

As you can see Naeun has a pretty harsh past which only Luhan and Kyungsoo know about. I have a feeling it's mega cliche... life . Oh well, I hope you guys don't mind. :)