Two.

Learning How to Live

“Now that we’re out of there, you can just call me Kai.” The boy smiled without taking his eyes off the road. Yookyung nodded in response.

A comforting silence filled the car. Yookyung gently slipped off her heels before resting her head on the palm of her hand and staring out at the city. She was secretly very excited. She’d never been out of the house this late, unless of course she had business, dinners or parties to attend to with her parents. She’d never ask to leave as she knew or at least assumed that her request would be denied. ‘It’s merely too dangerous for a young girl like you to be out after seven’ she supposed her father would say. Her eyes gleamed with gratitude for the darling Mrs. Kim, as she realised that she would’ve never left her confines if it weren’t for her considerate suggestion. She softly smiled as she peered out the window. All the while Kai had been observing her. He took notice of her smile and understood that a simple movie wasn’t enough. He wanted, no, he needed to show her something more, something better, something magical.

“Where are we going? We aren’t in the city anymore…” Yookyung finally spoke up.

“You’ll see.” Kai smirked mischievously as he sped along the road. He finally let go of the gas and parked his car in an empty lot. Yookyung sighed; slightly disappointed that the peaceful ride was over. She carefully fastened her heels on once more.

 

 

Kai opened the car door for Yookyung and gently took her hand. He noticed how small and dainty hers were compared to his rather large hands.

“What are you doing…?” She questioned sceptically.

“Oh c’mon, just let me show you something. Close your eyes.” He instructed.

“You aren’t going to hurt me in any way are you? …” She squinted her eyes in doubt.

“Just trust me on this. Please.”

“I don’t trust you… but I’ll close me eyes.” She gave in softly. He tugged lightly at her arm causing her to stand up. He then wrapped his arm round her shoulder, she could feel the muscles of his arm through his jacket, and she flinched at the touch. He noticed this and smirked to himself but feigned innocence and asked if she was cold. She shook her head in response. She could feel the gravel under her feet change to concrete as he slowly led her down a set of steps. Suddenly the floor felt soft. Too soft. She realised where he had taken her and though she wanted to beam at him, it just wasn’t something she could bring herself to do. She gently placed her hands over his and removed them from her eyes. She hadn’t been to the beach in almost ten years.

She gasped at the sight before here.  begged her brain to hang ajar, however she was Hong Yookyung, and actions like that weren’t in her bank of motion. Even so, her eyes did widen ever so slightly at the scenery. Though the night had enveloped the sand in a blanket of darkness, she could clearly see the moon and the stars gleaming down on the calm waves. The wind blew lightly on the pair causing Yookyung’s hair and dress to flow back, exposing her bare shoulders and lovely long legs. As she breathed in she felt a rush of salt air enter her nose. Kai looked down at her and noticed that although her deep brown eyes were still cold, he could sense the ice was, slowly but surely, beginning to thaw.

Kai tapped on the girl’s arm and grinned. He quickly removed his socks and shoes and ran ahead only to turn back and yell out.

“C’mon! It’s amazing down here! You’ll love it!” He cried out. Yookyung merely nodded and leant down to unfasten her shoes. She dropped them in the sand by his and walked after him. She was in no rush. She just wanted to embrace the air, the atmosphere, the feeling of freedom – even if it was only for a few hours. The wet sand squelched beneath her feet, she loved it. Yookyung noticed the boy crouching down by a fallen log. She was intrigued. As she made her way to him she peered over his shoulder and noticed that he was starting a fire. Amazing, she thought, whilst I was learning useless etiquette he was learning how to start a fire from scratch.

She sat down on the log behind him and brought her legs up to her chest and hugged them. Kai could sense movement behind him and noticed her shivers. He promptly removed his jacket and wrapped it round her bare shoulders and smirked playfully.

“I thought you weren't cold?”

“I-“ She was about to make a smart reply before he interrupted her.

“I’m kidding, it’s fine” His eyes crinkled to form two crescent moons. They widened again when he saw her slipping the sleeves off her shoulders. He swiftly took her hands and re-draped the jacket over her shoulders.

“I know you’re cold, keep it on” She sighed and quietly thanked him. However, he had heard her loud and clear and chuckled in satisfaction.

He joined her on the log and loosened his tie as they stared out at sea for a few voiceless minutes. No one talked. And though Kai's mind was empty, thousands of thoughts had flooded her mind. Surprisingly however, she broke the silence first.

"Kai?"

"Mm?"

“What’s it like?” She murmured, almost in audible.

“Huh?” He turned to face her, though she still faced the sea.

“What’s it like?” She spoke a little louder.

“What’s what like?”

“Freedom.”

 

 

They had driven back to a now empty mansion without a sound. As they got out of the car she told him to wait a moment. She made her way towards him, placed her warm hand on his cheek, rose onto her tiptoes and kissed the other side. Not out of romantic affection but out of gratitude. It was really one of the most memorable nights of her life. To be able to leave her household and sit without worrying about keeping her back straight was truly refreshing.

“Thank you.” She said. He was about to reply but she continued speaking, she wasn’t quite finished yet.

“Thank you for showing me what it means to be free. Even if I was only able to experience it for one night.” Her gazed at her sympathetically for he could sense the loneliness that was evident in both her words and eyes. She secured the clasp on her heels before pushing open the doors of her home. Kai followed behind.

“Honey! What happened? Why is your dress all wet?”

“I took her to the beach ma’am” Kai answered for her.

“The beach… hmm…” Her father muttered to himself.

“Well go upstairs and have a quick bath honey, don’t take too long, there’s something your father and I need to discuss with you.” Yookyung wasn’t startled; there was always something she needed to improve. Her father was just never satisfied. Mrs. Kim flashed her mother a knowing smile.

“Well we best get going, let’s go Jong-In.” Mr. Kim instructed.

“Yes, we’ll leave you three to talk. Yookyung sweetie, I’m sure we’ll see each other soon.” Mrs. Kim hugged the young lady.

“Thank you for the lovely dinner” She continued speaking but to her parents.

“Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Hong” Kai bowed out of respect before turning to leave with his parents.

“So what did you think of Jong-In honey?” Her mother asked as they watched the Kims leave their manor.

“He's… interesting.”

 

 

“Yookyung,” Her father began seriously.

“Yes father?”

“As we were talking to Jong-In’s parents after you left, we learnt that he attends boarding school, specifically the Korean Academy of Liberal Arts” Her mother continued.

“And as we were conversing, we were convinced by his parents to send you there. We believe it’s a marvellous idea, considering the fact that you’d completed your Business A Levels a year early. You’ve always taken an interest in philosophy and literature haven’t you? Well now’s your chance to explore those subjects…” Her father went on and on about the possibilities the school would provide, Yookyung paid no attention to the benefits of the curriculum, as all she could think about was Kai. It all made sense now. She realised how he had such independent thoughts and how he possessed that attitude among such a controlled society. It was because he was never there to experience it. No wonder he could start fires, no wonder he could drive. It all made sense now.

“We told each other we wouldn’t send you off without your consent. If you’d like to stay here, you may.” Her mother gently added.

“Bear in mind that you’re to inherit the company at thirty-five. Therefore, your priority must never sway from company matters.” Her father added. Nevertheless, Yookyung was ecstatic. She realised that she’d be able to leave her confines and experience real living. She would no longer be a puppet on a string, she’d be able to take the reins of her life and steer it in the direction she wanted to (for approximately a year that is, as school would only last so long). But then she felt a feeling of terror growing at the pit of her stomach. How would she survive? She didn’t know anything else other than what she’d been taught by her parents and professors. She’d never ventured out into the big, wide world. She’d never even visited an ice-cream parlour before, and don’t even get her started on transportation. Riding in a taxi was simply out of the question.

“I-I” She paused.

“Please give me some time to think about the offer.”

“Of course honey.”