Eleven.

Learning How to Live

Yookyung couldn’t focus at all. Thoughts of Kai were running through her mind. She reminded herself that he was bad news and was thankful that she ended it before it got out of hand; yet at the same time, she couldn’t help but regret her actions.

She didn't want to admit it, but everything reminded her of Kai. Whenever she saw a couple, she pictured herself with Kai. Whenever someone fixed their tie, she thought about Kai. Heck, whenever she looked at someone’s lips, she’d think of Kai. She was going crazy. She swore there were thousands of little voices in her head, whispering and taunting her. She needed a distraction. She sighed as she opened her cupboard. She took out what she had previously stowed away ‘forever’.

“This isn’t good for me or my future.” She sighed again.

“Then again, Kai isn’t good for me either… it’s one or the other I guess.” She muttered to herself as she retreated back to her first love, the hobby she picked up as a child, to escape the dictatorship of her father.

 

 

Naeun and Kyungsoo were working on his performance piece in dance room four, as they did every week. It became a routine for the two of them, and surprisingly, Naeun really enjoyed helping her cousin. She knew how badly he wanted to pursue a career in music and he had the right to wish for something so seemingly impractical. He was talented, extremely talented. It would be completely selfish of him to deprive the world of such a gift.

Kyungsoo’s phone beeped suddenly.

“Hey Naeun,” Kyungsoo gulped as the latter glanced up at him.

“I er… need to talk to Dr. Kim about the um… physics homework…”

“Oh okay, just be back quickly.” Naeun smiled at the boy, oblivious to his lies, as she was too engrossed in the music. He quickly scurried out the door; a few moments after he left however, she was greeted with a familiar sound of nearing footsteps.

“Kyungsoo, I thought you had to go meet Dr. Kim?” She asked without looking up from the sheets spread out before her.

“I’m not Kyungsoo.” Said a voice she recognized all too well.

“Luhan, leave.” She ordered coldly.

“No, we need to talk.”

“I have nothing to say to you.” She replied, not giving him the time of day.

“Well, I have a lot to say to you, so please, just listen.” He pleaded.

“Why? Give me a good reason as to why I should listen. Hm?” She finally looked up at him. Naeun tried her best not to let her guard down as she identified the desperation in his round, brown eyes.

“Because, you were and still are… mistaken.” He said softly.

“You’ll have to be a bit more specific Luhan.”

“I didn’t… I didn’t cheat on you.” He finally said. Naeun stood up and slapped him across his left cheek.

“Don’t lie to me Luhan.” She snapped.

“I’m not.” Luhan rubbed his cheek, attempting to lessen the pain.

“Then why, why did I open my locker one morning, only to find a photo of you swapping spit with some girl?” She growled.

“She took me by surprise! I didn’t kiss her back… I had you, I wouldn't risk something that precious.”

“Oh yeah ‘by surprise’, that’s why her arms were around your neck and yours around her waist.” A tear rolled down her cheek, but she roughly wiped it away. Luhan sighed and gently took her hand, only to have it sharply snatched from his grip.

“… She asked me to help her rehearse for an acting audition…” He explained quietly.

“Even if that were the case, you should’ve said no! You kissed her Luhan! We were dating! I trusted you!” Naeun’s voice began to rise.

“She promised me that we’d stop right before the kissing scene… that’s why… that’s why we were holding each other.”

“I don’t believe you.” Naeun looked away, hiding the sadness in her eyes.

“She set me up Naeun… you have to believe me…” Luhan choked back his tears, but Naeun could hear the woe in his voice. Naeun could feel a pang of guilt strike her chest.

“Luhan, I want to believe you… more than anyone, but I can’t. If it were true, you would’ve told me this a long time ago.” Naeun’s eyes glistened with grief.

“I needed to give you space, I knew how much it hurt you… and… and I… couldn’t bear to see you cry again. Then a whole year had passed and I realised I’d lost my chance… my chance to be with you… I knew you’d never forgive me… so I didn’t say anything…” Luhan confessed regretfully.

“So… why now? Why... why explain now?” She asked. Luhan cupped her face with his hands.

“Because I saw you smile. I saw all those boys crack jokes and yet you wouldn't giggle, but then Yookyung came along. She made you happy again; she made you smile and laugh constantly. And I… I wanted to be the one to do that. I-I love you Naeun...” He stared into her eyes, searching for some sort of clue as to how she was taking this; whether she believed him or not.

“So… you were jealous? Of a girl?” Naeun smiled slightly at Luhan’s innocence. He could only blush and look away.

“Yeah…” He rubbed his neck sheepishly. Naeun slapped him again, on his right cheek this time.

“Ow! Now what was that for?” Luhan his cheek.

“For not coming clean immediately! Do you know how much suffering you put me through?! I loved you Luhan! I deserved to know the truth…”

“You said loved… does that mean you don’t love me anymore?” Luhan’s asked childishly.

“No… I still love you.” Naeun softened and caressed his cheek. Luhan looked at her and leant in to kiss her but she moved away. He pouted.

“Plus, you should know that I’m straight.” Naeun scoffed. Luhan leant in to kiss her again, but this time, she let him.

“I know.” Luhan mumbled into their kiss. He kissed her passionately for a while, they were about to reach the  of their kiss, however they were interrupted by an awkwardly disgusted Kyungsoo.

“U-uh… it’s… er… great (?) that you two are back together and all… but what are we going to do about Yookyung and Kai…” Kyungsoo stepped into the room cautiously. Naeun seperated herself from Luhan embarrassedly, and glared at Kyungsoo.

“Nothing. I don’t approve of their relationship.”

“Why not?” Luhan asked his girlfriend.

“Because, it’s ugh, it’s Kai!”

“And what’s wrong with that?” Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows.

“Everything!” She raised her hands up in protest.

“Look, Naeun,” Luhan sighed. “Kai may have his… flirtatious ways, but you have no idea how insane he’s been acting lately. He stares at his phone’s wallpaper for hours at a time. Before he falls asleep, that is, if can manage to fall asleep, he repeats ‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry, forgive me Yookyung’ over and over again. He’s losing his mind without that girl. I don’t know what she did to him, but it’s as if he's under a spell. As soon as he returned from their little ‘talk’ the other day, he punched himself. Not a wall, not another person but himself.”

“In the face.” Kyungsoo chimed in.

Wow… Kai really did that?” Naeun was speechless, deep in thought for a few minutes.

“Okay... I have a plan.” Naeun spoke up.

“You approve?” Kyungsoo squeaked happily. He jumped up and down, squealing like a little girl. Luhan rolled his eyes at his best friend.

“Unfortunately…” Naeun grumbled.

“What is it?” Luhan encouraged.

“Well,” Naeun began.

----

Oh my gosh, it's such a sloppy chapter, I know -.- I'm so sorry D: FORGIVE ME. I just needed to post this so that I could write about 'then plan'. I'm so excited for that chapter :3

Also, I was inboxed recently, asking me about why I paired Naeun with Luhan. To be completely honest, they aren't my OTP, my actual Naeun pairing is Naeun and Chanyeol. The reason I didn't put him in this fiction was because I didn't think his happy-go-lucky, loud and (extremely) hyperactive character fit the role of her love interest in this particular story. I needed someone who was a bit softer, more delicate you know? And Luhan happened to fit the bill... And yeah, I just thought I'd explain that to any other confused readers. :)

@xblaqstar: Thank you so much! Oh my gosh! I'll definitely check out that tumblr soon :) I'm glad I could persuade another person to ship these two :3