Lesson Three: The Art of Conversation

How To Fall In Love

 

“So… do you like bunnies?”

“Really? That is what you go with? Do you like bunnies?”

“I panicked!”

“Think, Onew! Think!”

“… Do you like puppies?”

“I will kill you.”

Jinki groaned in frustration as he fell back on the couch. Isn’t shouldn’t be that hard to have a conversation with someone. Honestly, it should be the easiest thing in the world, but Jinki was having the hardest time. He had no idea what to say or do. He swore he was going insane. Why was it so hard?!

Jonghyun sighed and ruffled his head, “Alright, come on. Let’s get you some food. Maybe that will help you.”

The older male stood up and followed Jonghyun into the kitchen. They were in Jonghyun’s apartment instead of at the café or Luna’s shop since Luna got in trouble and neither Jonghyun nor Jinki wanted coffee.

“Can we get chicken?” Jinki asked as he took a seat at the table in the kitchen.

“Sure,” Jonghyun shrugged his shoulders. He picked up the phone and ordered some chicken before taking a seat across from Jinki, “So, gotten any numbers?”

Jinki shook his head, “I’ve tried, but then I say something stupid.”

Jonghyun chuckled, “You just need to relax. Just let the conversation flow. Don’t over think it. You’re asking someone out, not trying to convince the jury someone is guilty of murder.”

“Honestly, that is so much easier,” Jinki laughed and Jonghyun laughed along with him, “Hey, you know I’m a paralegal, but what about you? I don’t pay you, so how do you make a living?”

The younger male crossed his arms and smiled across the table at Jinki, “I sing.”

“And?”

“Write music,” Jonghyun replied with a shrug.

Jinki stared at the other, “Right, so you’re an idol?”

Jonghyun laughed, “I’m a song writer. You’ve probably heard my songs on the radio.”

“Wait, really? Wah, that explains why your place is really nice and you can do this with me,” Jinki said, completely amazed. He spent the last week with Jonghyun and he realized he knew barely anything.

“Do you know what you just did, Onew?” Jonghyun asked, a smug smile on his lips.

The older male shook his head, “No, what did I do?”

Jonghyun leaned across the table and grinned at Jinki, “You held up a conversation.”

“Huh? Oh! I did! Wow, you’re really amazing,” Jinki exclaimed, grabbing Jonghyun’s hands in his own, “You’re really good at this.”

“It’s my job,” Jonghyun replied with a fake sigh as if it was a bother.

Jinki rolled his eyes and leaned back as he looked at the other, “Yah, no need to get cocky or anything, but seriously, thank you very much.”

Jonghyun looked at Jinki and smiled softly, “Don’t mention it… I mean, you still have four more lessons.”

“Right… seven easy steps, right?”

The younger male nodded with a laugh, “Exactly. You’re doing really well, so don’t worry so much. Soon you’ll be doing better than me, creating your own lessons.”

“I doubt it, but thanks for the faith,” Jinki replied with a chuckle.

Jonghyun smiled at the other and Jinki smiled back, but both looked away when the door rang, “I’ll get it,” Jonghyun said as he got up and went to the door. Jinki messed with his hair as he waited. It happened again. What is that?

 

 

“Let me ask you, Onew. That guy you spilled your soup on, what was he like? Did you like him?” Jonghyun questioned as he returned to the table with a soda for them both.

Jinki tilted his head, muttering a thank you for the soda. “Key? He was a good guy. He is Taemin’s dance teacher. He’s one of those guys that you’d do anything for. If he wanted new shoes, you’d get them for him.”

Jonghyun nodded his head, “So a diva?”

“Yeah, a diva,” Jinki laughed, nodding his head, “I still feel really bad, but I’m terrified of calling him.”

“Then call him,” Jonghyun replied, taking a sip of drink.

“I just said I can’t call him,” Jinki shot back.

Jonghyun shook his head, “No, you said you’re terrified of calling him. You can talk to him. Come on, I’ve taught you well. Just don’t say something stupid.”

Jinki looked at Jonghyun with fear, but the other continued to smile. The older male sighed and pulled out his phone. He did have Kibum’s number, so he decided he had no choice but to call now.

He bit his lip and took a deep breath before dialing the number. He stared at Jonghyun, he felt like he was about to cry. When he heard Kibum pick up, he almost panicked and hug up, but Jonghyun told him to keep going.

“Key?”

“Yes, who is this?” Kibum replied.

Jinki bit his lip again, “Jinki… Taemin’s brother.”

There was silence on the other side and Jinki feared that Kibum had already hung up, “You have some nerve calling me.”

Jonghyun motioned for Jinki to put it on speaker, so Jinki did, “I know, I really wanted to apologize. I’m really not that bad. I was just so nervous and I’m just really sorry.”

“Why would you have been so nervous?” Kibum replied with a sigh, “Don’t you date? Wait, Taemin told me about your problem.”

“Yeah… my problem… I was really nervous because you’re really attractive,” he said and he saw Jonghyun give him the thumbs up. “I really didn’t want to screw it up, but I still did… I just wanted to apologize.”

Kibum made a clicking noise with his tongue, “Is that really all?”

Jonghyun scribbled on a pad of paper ‘ask him out again!’. Jinki nodded his head, “No, I wanted to know if you’d be willing to go out with me again.”

“Hmm, sure. Let’s do a movie since there no possible way you can burn me with soup,” Kibum replied, “Pick up tomorrow night at six.”

“Yeah, I will, bye!” Jinki said excitingly before hanging up. He jumped up from the chair, but his leg got caught and he plummeted to the ground.

“Onew!” Jonghyun shouted, worryingly as he ran over to the over, helping him up, “Are you okay?”

Jinki looked up at Jonghyun and smiled at the other, “Totally fine.”

Jonghyun sighed and shook his head, “You’re hopeless and also, really? The movies? That is the worst place to talk, but I guess you have to start out slow, right?”

“Sorry,” Jinki mumbled from his place on the floor. He looked at the other, “Can you get me ice… I think I really hurt my knee…”

“Onew,” Jonghyun groaned before getting up and going to freezer to get ice. Jinki rested his head on the floor, refusing to mood. His knee was really hurting.

 

 

Jinki was sitting in his car, staring at the clock. He was a bit early. He got a little too excited and headed out. Now that he was there, he felt like he was going to puke up his breakfast and lunch. Jonghyun told him he’d be fine. He trusted Jonghyun’s judgment.

He glanced at his phone when he heard it ringing. He looked at the message Jonghyun just sent him and he smile.

Lesson one: Self-Confidence. If you believe you’ll succeed, then you will. Lesson two: Breaking the ice. Use pick-up lines as a last resort.  Lesson three: The Act of Conversation. Just talk, don’t think. I believe in you, Onew. Fighting. ;)

“Thanks,” he said, knowing Jonghyun knew how thankful he was. Though, the thought was cut off when he heard the door of his car open. He turned his head quickly and stared at Kibum who had entered his car, “You’ve been here for ten minutes. You could have came and got me.”

“Sorry, I got excited,” Jinki replied as he pushed his phone into his pocket, “Ready to go.”

Kibum nodded his head and smiled, “Mm, let’s go.”

 

They had arrived at the movies and Kibum picked out a chick flick to watch. Jinki honestly didn’t mind. It sounded like a good movie. “What do you want? Popcorn?”

“Maybe a small one,” Kibum replied.

“Alright, and how about we share a large soda?” Jinki questioned with a smile.

Kibum nudged Jinki’s side, “I’ll take you up on that.”

Jinki smiled and got the soda and popcorn. He cared them both as he Kibum led him to the theater. They took a seat in the back corner. Jinki leaned back as he munched on the popcorn. Kibum even ate a few pieces, but mostly he drank some soda and talked about the Ads popping up on the TV.

When the previews started, they quietly talked about which movies seemed interesting or not. Kibum said for one of them that Jinki had to take him to it, but the movie wasn’t coming out for another month. Jinki took that as a good sign.

Once the movie started, both were completely immersed in the movie. Jinki made a move to get some popcorn, when he felt Kibum’s hand. They looked at each other and smiled. Kibum took Jinki’s hand and intertwined their fingers, using his other hand to eat some popcorn. Jinki smiled brightly as he looked at the screen.

The popcorn was starting to make him thirsty, so he reached for the soda. He picked up and pulled it to his lips, but accidently dropped it, spilling some on his pants, “Aish!”

“Shh!”

“S-sorry,” he mumbled. He looked at Kibum, “I’ll be right back,” he said as he got up and quickly hurried out of the theater into the bathroom. He walked inside and looked around for paper towels, but they only had hand dryers, “Are you kidding me?!”

He went into one of the stalls and grabbed some toilet paper and began wiping his pants. He pouted at his reflection in the mirror. It looked like he peed himself. Great.

Jinki reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone, dialing Jonghyun. When the other answered, he sighed in relief, “Jonghyun! I spilled soda on my pants! It looks like I peed!”

An old man who walked out of the toilet looked at him like he was crazy. Jinki turned away in embarrassment, “Help me!”

“Okay, relax. How far into the movie are you?” Jonghyun questioned.

The older male thought about it for a minute, “We’re still in the beginning. The couple just met.”

“… Chick flick?”

“Yeah…”

“Right, so go back in. It’ll be dry by the time the movie lets out and Key saw it happen right? He won’t dump you on the spot because of that,” Jonghyun assured Jinki, “Now go back in there and finish your date.”

Jinki agreed and hung up, shooting the old man an apologetic look before scurrying out of the bathroom. He made his way back to his seat and sat down. Kibum leaned over and whispered, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, just a small spill,” he replied with a smile, “What did I miss?”

Kibum shrugged his shoulders, “They start out hating each other. He spilled food on her. Remind you of anyone?”

“Har har,” Jinki chuckled as he took Kibum’s hand in his own again. Kibum smiled and rested his head on Jinki’s shoulder. The male smile and paid attention to the movie.

 

 

The movie ended and both were making their way out of theater hand in hand. Jinki glanced down at his pants and sighed. It hadn’t dried all the way, “Does it look bad?”

Kibum glanced down and shook his head, “No, not really.”

Jinki sighed and looked at Kibum, “So tell me, all in all, good date?”

“Much better than our first,” Kibum commented with a bright smile, “I don’t know where all this confidence came from, but I’m impressed.”

The older male smiled and shrugged, “What can I say? I learn quickly.”

The two laughed as they made their way back to the car. Jinki had to get to work early, so he couldn’t stay out any longer. Kibum didn’t seem to mind very much.

 

 

Jinki pulled up in front of Kibum’s house and put the car in park. He leaned back and looked over at Kibum, “Here we are.”

Kibum glanced at his house, and then back at Jinki, “Sure, you can’t come in for a drink?”

“No, I got work and you know, I got to drive home,” Jinki said sadly, “Maybe next time.”

The other nodded his head. His eyes widened when he saw Jinki leaning over. He closed his eyes and waited for a kiss, but it never came. He opened his eyes when he heard a noise. He looked at Jinki who seemed confused then looked to see the door opened, “Oh… you thought I was going to… oh…”

“No, it is fine, really. It is the first date after all,” Kibum replied, shaking his head, but on the inside he wanted to hit Jinki. Of course he wanted a kiss. Jinki was cute. “So where are you taking me for our second date?”

Jinki tilted his head, “Dinner? I really want to try again.”

Kibum nodded his head and chuckled, “Alright, let’s try dinner again, but no soup.”

“Soup is off the menu,” Jinki replied with a laugh. He hesitated, but he leaned forward, kissing Kibum’s cheek, “Sleep well.”

“Yeah…,” Kibum said, disappointment on his face, “Goodnight,” he smiled softly before getting out of the car. Jinki waved and made sure the other was safely in his house before he drove off. Jonghyun would probably not be happy about the kiss thing.

author’s note

I hope you all realize that the movie this is based on hasn't come out yet, so I have no idea what the I'm talking about. I've dated like two guys and we never went on dates, so... I'm pulling this all out of my right now. Don't trust my falseness. I'm just writing a story to be funny and amusing. Hopefully you all are enjoying it never the less. Love you all :) <3

Also, about Joon liking Onew's pick-up line, I totally know he would, but Joon was the only person that came to mind. I could have used Sandeul, but Sandeul would probably had said the same exact thing. Joon has a more normal side... even if he is a complete idiot, but I still love him. :D

Please enjoy and remember! COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE :D

©sungyo2o12