PRETENSIONS

My Unfinished Business

 

So Min woke up the next day with smile on her face. Memories of that night with Hyun Joong left hope in her heart. That wasn’t the first time she felt something like that but there’s something about it that makes her feel good. It’s just so effin' good.

Two weeks had passed and both of them were inseparable. They eat breakfast together, they meet during lunchtime, and they go out after school. Tae Sung came back to his usual jolly self and sometimes they go out as a group. During these times, Hyun Joong never mentioned about his real intention to her and it made her confused about their real relationship. So Min is starting to question if the feeling is mutual. Sometimes she wanted to ask Hyun Joong but she was so shy to do that.

Until one day, So Min noticed, Hyun Joong seemed to be avoiding her. He didn’t reply to her text messages. Her calls is being forwarded to his voicemail.. and he didn’t spend vacant hours with her anymore. She knows something had happened.

It was one of her visits to the library when she saw the five architecture students having a brainstorming about a would-be project. She wanted to greet them but she didn’t want to embarrass herself if Hyun Joong ignores her. That would be adding an insult to injury.  One week had passed since they last saw each other. If he wanted to talk to her, he’ll be the one to take the action first. If he didn’t then she’ll rest her case. That’s what she had decided.

“So Min!,” a call from behind disturbed her inner peace. She saw Seung Ah coming towards her. Seung Ah pulled the chair in front of her and whispered.. “Are you coming tonight?”

So Min gave her a questioning look and asked.. “ What’s with tonight?” 

Seung Ah look at her dumbfounded.. “You mean those guys at the other table didn’t even mention it to you?.. Aish!  What’s got into these people??.. So annoying!!”  She immediately went to their table and So Min pretended to be busy.

“Yah! Why didn’t you inform So Min about tonight?”  She said without asking anyone in particular.

The boys looked at each other and then to her. “We didn’t know she’s here.. we’re busy about our project. . We didn’t even notice when she arrived.. Did you Hyun Joong?.. Tae Sung?”.. it was Ji Hoon.

The two boys shook their heads as an answer to his question. Hyun Joong sighed a bit because in fact, he knew when So Min arrived earlier. He just pretended he didn’t notice. Tae Sung got up from his seat and went to So Min’s table.

“It’s Ryu Wook’s birthday tonight.. are you coming?”  She lifted her gaze from the book she was reading to Tae Sung’s face. She was like that for about ten seconds that Tae Sung had to snap his fingers in front of her face to get her attention. “So Min, are you okay?.. Is something bothering you?”

“A- anieyo!. I’m just thinking about my assignment in my major class.. What is it again?”

“It’s Ryu Wook birthday today and there’s a party over at the hang-out tonight.. wanna come?”

“Uh.. is that so?.. I don’t think I can..”.. she was thinking of a good alibi when Ryu Wook in.

“Aww.. I’m broken-hearted So Min-ssi! It’s supposed to be my first birthday celebration with my new friends around..” Ryu Wook pouted and looked at her with puppy eyes.

 

“But I need to finish my criticism which is due on Monday..”

C’mon So Min.. it’s just Friday.. you could do it during the weekend..please.. please.. pretty please.. pretty?” Ryu Wook begged. Thinking of nothing to say more, she just nodded. She will just guard herself and pretend… she decided.

 

“I will be waiting for you So Min-ah.. kekeke” Hyun Joong was looking at them all the while. He didn’t know what to feel whether he will be happy that So Min will come tonight, or be worried on the way things will turn up.  He took one last look at So Min and sighed.

He knew she was hurting the way she ignores him.  He noticed she didn’t even take a single glance at him and it hurts him just the same. But he believes it is for the best.

 

“I’ll be picking you up at seven..” Tae Sung said.

“Ah no.. don’t bother.. I’ll just go by myself.. I’ll be finishing this critique first before I come.. you know me, if I started doing something you couldn’t stop me from doing it until it’s done..”

‘Oh okay.. but don’t be too late..” it was Ryu Wook.
___________________________________________________________________

“Tae Sung.. Where is So Min?” Ryu Wook was a bit worried she wasn’t coming. One hour had passed since the party started but So Min hasn’t arrived yet. Hyun Joong also only because he still have a gig at the music lounge. They know he will follow.

“Oh it’s Hyun Joong!” Tae Sung pointed the entrance where Hyun Joong emerged but he wasn’t alone.

‘Aish, why did he bring Si Young here?.. I didn’t even invite her here.’ Ryu Wook was surprised and got worried because his plan of making Hyun Joong and So Min talk probably won’t happen with this girl around. He knows what his two friends were going through. But what he doesn’t understand was why did Hyun Joong seemed to ignore So Min. There wasn’t just a single time when he ignores So Min’s texts or calls. He knows the personalized alert tone Hyun Joong assigned for So Min’s mobile number. It was the one he sang the first time So Min heard him sing at the music lounge. He knows because So Min told him.

“Bro, happy birthday!” Hyun Joong greeted him. “By the way, I want you to meet my girlfriend, Si Young!”

“What??..Err.. Are you sure?” Ryu Wook was utterly surprised. His jaw dropped thinking his plan was totally busted.

“Congrats, bro!” Tae Sung gave Hyung Joong a high five and smiled at Si Young. But Ryu Wook was kept glued on his feet and brushed both his hands on his face… totally disappointed and the question ‘What happened?’ was running in his mind.
___________________________________________________________________

 

Hyun Joong’s eyes searched around the bar as soon as he stepped in. He was a bit disappointed when he didn’t see So Min. She probably had changed her mind. 

“So Min-ssi!” He heard Ryu Wook and saw him walking to greet her. It was a little dark at the bar but he never missed how she looked like tonight. She was wearing her usual Bohemian fashion style only that tonight, she was ily extra-beautiful.

 

She was wearing an off-shoulder off-white Boho mini-dress with ruffles exposing her smooth neck, upper chest and shoulders.. a little cleavage was peeking delightfully. A thin light brown belt was on her waist that makes the dress hugging her curves. The bottom of the dress hardly reached the mid-thigh.. it’s as if she forgot to wear her pants. A brown strappy gladiator flat sandals and a twiggy headband running around her forehead and the back of her head complemented her goddess look. Everyone could say that a goddess has descended from Mt. Olympus when she arrived for she could pass as one of the daughters of Zeus that even Aphrodite and Helen of Troy would be greening with envy.

 

Ryu Wook hugged the surprised So Min and whispered.. “Don’t fret and I’m sorry I have to do this. I just want to knock some senses on Hyun Joong. He’s with a girl but don’t worry I got your back. Just pretend they don’t exist… now smile and hug me back..”

So Min, though a little surprised understood the situation. She hugged Ryu Wook as she took a quick glance on Hyun Joong. She fought the tears threatening in her eyes and smiled beautifully. All eyes are fix on them that Tae Sung had to intervene..

“Yah!.. Birthday boy! Released So Min now or I will forget that it’s your birthday today!” So Min and Ryu Wook laughed at Tae Sung’s obvious jealous outbursts.

“Why are you so beautiful tonight So Min?.. Is it for me?” Tae Sung had been very vocal about his admiration to her but she just ignored it. She just smiled whenever he talks about her adoringly.

“Yah! Tae Sung.. Whose birthday is today?.. Of course it is for me!” Ryu Wook is obviously on his play-pretend game.

“Guys!..  I am always beautiful.. hahaha.. don’t fight anymore.. it’s not my fault if you have a friend like me… Ka ja! Where’s the food? I’m starving!” she pulled the two guys toward the buffet without looking again at Hyun Joong.

“Who is that girl?” she whispered to her two consorts.

“Ah.. Si Young –ssi?.. she’s Hyun Joong’s girlfriend.” Tae Sung said without break. She looked at Ryu Wook who seemed to avoid her questioning eyes but look at her just the same. He nodded and with that, she stood frozen at her feet. Ryu Wook encouraged her not to get affected by shaking his head. So Min took a deep breath and continued to grab all the food at the buffet table absentmindedly.

“So Min?.. Can you finish them all?” Ryu Wook and Tae Sung asked her with disgust looking at her plate.

“I told you I’m starving!.. No! I’m famished!.. I want to eat all these food tonight!”