Always a Bridesmaid Never a Bride

My Unfinished Business

 

"Hey girl!" the chatbox popped up while I am browsing my Facebook homepage. It was my bestfriend Yoon Seung Ah.

"Hey!", I typed in then pressed enter key. I could see she's been typing her next message based from the icon at the bottom of the box. 

"Guess what?" she said.

"You're getting married.. I know!"

"How did you know?"

" How did I know?.. Gosh! Seung Ah!.. As if you didn't post days ago your engagement ring photo!.. Errr!.. Hard to miss!" 

"You saw it?.. and you didn't bother to hit the LIKE button or even make a comment??.. what kind of bestfriend are you?"

"I was just busy these past few days..sorry.."

"Anyway, you're my maid of honor so you better lose weight from now on.. lol"

"Lose weight??.. I'm not fat!" 'Am I?'.. I checked myself if there is any bulges. My arms.. none!.. My thighs… none!.. My tummy.. None!

“Yah!, I’m not FAT!

“Hahaha..I know you’ll freak out… anyway we’re coming home in Busan so you better clear your schedule because you’re coming with us… so GTG.. need to sleep early.. you too.. sleep early.. mwah! CIAO!.. she had her FB offlined before I even started typing my response.

‘Urgh!’..After our chat, I was spacing for a while.. then I sighed and pouted. It’s not that I wasn’t happy my bestfriend is getting married. Of course, I’m happy for them. Ji Hoon, her boyfriend of ten years, is one of my closest male friends. I was even the one responsible why they became closer together.

I met Seung Ah in our first year in the university. I majored in Literature, her in Child Psychology. We have two other girl friends, Yoon Hwa who majored in International Relations, and In Ha who majored in Journalism. We were roommates. It’s a good thing we belong to the same department.

Seung Ah and I both came from Busan. But I didn’t grow up there. I was born there but when I was two, my rich dying grandpa summoned us to come to the States.

My brother, Jung Yong Hwa and I came back to Busan to fulfill our parents’ dying wish--- that is to be buried at their hometown. I love my parents so much that I even asked my brother to let me stay here in Korea so that I can visit their graves from time to time. He was hesitant at first but when he thought, I might get lonelier at the States since he will get very busy with our Oil company, not to mention his forthcoming marriage to his fiancée Park Shin Hye, he allowed me to stay and continue my studies here.

On our second year at the university, In Ha and I joined an Environmentalist Organization. It is an organization which is committed to help and protect the environment from planting trees, to coastal clean-up and to educating communities on proper waste disposal. Seung Ah and Yoon Hwa joined after a year.

We met Ji Hoon and Tae Sung in this organization. Both of them are Architecture students. We’ve been inseparable ever since. Because we call each other BRO and SIS, I never expected Tae Sung would harbor strong feelings towards me. I wasn’t stupid not to notice it.  He always walked me to the dorm. He always saved seats for me during meetings and activities. We are always together that everyone will really think we are in a relationship. I like him as a friend but I didn’t see him as a man.

On our third year, the boys are graduating so they always frequented the library. When Seung Ah texted me that they were there, I immediately followed suit after my classes. I saw them at a table in the corner and there were three others boys joining them.

“Tae Sung-Ah, your girlfriend is here!” one of the three boys shouted. I felt my face turned crimson red and the sides of my ears became hotter. 

Everyone’s eyes were focused on me as I turned my gaze around, until it was focused to the other guy at that same table. His eyes also focused on me, his lips smiling at me. At that instant I felt, I wanted to strangle the neck of that stout guy who shouted that statement a while ago. I was so embarrassed because I don’t want this particular guy to think, Tae Sung and I are an item. ‘No! I am not his girlfriend!’, my mind screamed.