~6~

The Kiss of Blood

Sungmin just sat there, dumbfounded, and could only stare at Jongwoon. "Does... does Ryeowook know that..."

Jongwoon shook his head and glanced down at the still sleeping Ryeowook, ran his fingers through his silky locks. "No... he does not and it would be nice, if you could keep it further secret."

"I will..." Sungmin nodded slowly after a few moments, got a thankful smile in response from the vampire. "Will you tell him about you someday?"

"Maybe..." the other sighed. "But sooner or later, I have to tell him and I really hope that it will be later..." He dreamingly over Ryeowook's cheek. "He is so weak and fragile... I do not want to sc- yah! Why are you grinning?"

Sungmin just grinned even wider. "To be honest, at first I felt jealous when I heard that Wookie met you and had not talked to me. Then I was worried that I had not noticed that he was that sad, but now I am really relieved that he has met you." he explained with a shy smile and tugged at some grass blades, throw them into the creek. "You are good for him, from what I have seen so far. Thanks to you he found his smile back and drowns no longer in his sadness, while I was not there for him."

"Ryeowook means a lot for you, does not he?" Jongwoon asked with a warm smile and eyed Sungmin curious.

"He is my family!" the latter simply answered and looked at Ryeowook as well. "Since my own parents... well, I think you can see how much they love me. After Donghae died and Kibum had left the village shortly after it, he was the only one who was there for me and... and has caught me."

He felt a pang in his heart and the feeling of guiltiness grew in Sungmin that he had not noticed that Ryeowook was also suffering and had also needed him.

"I am sure that he did not grudge you." Jongwoon suddenly said. "Ryeowook was more worried about you, because you were alone while he had his family and... me."

"Am I that easy to read?" Sungmin asked and closed his eyes, before he leaned back and looked up at the starry sky. "Tell me Jongwoon-ah... Can a vampire feel lonely?"

"For your first question, yes and no. After Ryeowook was always speaking of you, I was curious and observed you two a little bit, so that I already knew some sides of you before we met today." Jongwoon admitted with an apologetic smile. "And yes! We can feel lonely; especially after we have found someone special."

"Someone special?" Sungmin repeated his words and looked back at his sleeping friend and then at the vampire. "Like you did? How does it feel and how do you know that you have found this special one?"

"So many questions..." Jongwoon chuckled quietly. "Well, we can just feel it. Usually we just drink the blood of the humans we meet, but when we meet this special person, we would do everything to keep them safe and protect them. Their blood smells absolutely addicting for us and from the very first moment on we are longing for it, more than everything else. And we want to be with this certain person for eternity."

Sungmin listened carefully and nodded here and there, smiled at the ending part. "Do you feel all this when you are with Wookie?"

"Yes..." the other male nodded with a shy grin. "And to answer your other questions: Yes, his blood smells absolutely delicious for me; No, so far I have not drunk a single drop of it; and No again, he know nothing of all this!" Jongwoon answered the questions that were written all over Sungmin's face.

He sighed and stood up, raised the still sleeping Ryeowook to his arms. "I think it is enough for today." he said and bid Sungmin Goodbye. "You should go home, or back to the barn of Ryeowook's family and try to sleep as well."

The latter nodded slowly and bid Jongwoon also Goodbye. "I will... just one more moment."

Jongwoon just looked at him before his heels and walked up the grassy hill, a knowing smirk on his face.

Sungmin watched him until they disappeared at the edge of the hill. Sighing, he let himself fall back into the already moist grass and looked again up at the countless stars. "Until they have found someone special... it must be nice to have someone who take care of you..."

And while he was lying there, Sungmin again lost all sense of time. He enjoyed the comfortable silence, could hear an owl somewhere on a tree, fireflies were flying from one flower to another and the crickets held a midnight concert in dense grass around him.

"Maybe I should go back to the barn..." he mumbled quietly and sleepy, closed his eyes, but did not move. "It is getting cold."


"Aish! Are you really that stupid?" suddenly a very well known, and angry voice rang out right above him and Sungmin almost got a heart attack, when he opened his eyes and looked directly into Kyuhyun's angry face.

"K- Kyuhyun." he stammered and immediately sat up. "What- Since when are you here?"

"Long enough!" Kyuhyun said and dropped down into the grass as well, right next to Sungmin. "Has Jongwoon-hyung not told you to go home, or at least back to the barn again? Why on earth are you still lying here?"

"How- I... yeah..." Sungmin blushed slightly and looked down at his knees. "Yes, he has. But I just wanted to stay for one further moment to enjoy the night and the stars." He could hear a snort from the vampire. "One further moment?" Kyuhyun asked sarcastically. "That was almost two hours ago! And it is way too cold to just sit here and look at those damn stars. You will catch a cold!"

And with this he stood up, pulled off his jacket and put it over Sungmin's shoulders, who shivered even more when Kyuhyun inadvertently brushed over a patch of bare skin at his neck. "Look! You are trembling!" Kyuhyun pointed out when he sat back down.

But Sungmin blushed even deeper and was glad that it was to dark that Kyuhyun could not really see it. "Why do you even care?" his voice was muffed by the collar of Kyuhyun's coat, when Sungmin wrapped him tighter around his body. "But... thank you..."

"Because... because..." Kyuhyun tried to explain it, even if he himself did not really knew the answer. "I just want to do it!" He huffed and crossed his arms over his chest, pretended to stare at the dark creek, but was still looking at Sungmin from the corner of his eyes.

A small smile crept up Sungmin's face when he watched Kyuhyun. "I am sorry." he said, pulled his legs up to his chest and wrapped his arms around them, suddenly realized how cold it was.

"How... how much of me and Jongwoon-hyung did you hear?" Sungmin asked out of the blue and eyed the vampire carefully.

"Not that much." the latter looked back at him and relaxed a little bit. "After I saw you three, I kept distance so that I could see, but not hear; I did not want Hyung to know that I am here too.

"Why not?" Sungmin turned his head to the side, was now looking at Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun bit his lower lip and thought for a moment. "It is... actually prohibited for us to come here." he mumbled with a mischievously grin and streched his legs. "But after all, I am not the first one who breaks the rule."

"You are not?" surprised, Sungmin scooted a little bit closer to him. "And who said that it is forbidden?"

Kyuhyun smirked and shook his head. "For a human who has already met two vampires, and who got told that said creatures and said creatures actually should not be here, you are way too curious."

"I am not afraid of you, just in case that is what you mean!" the smaller male grinned in return. None of you, neither you nor Jongwoon are scary. You two are everything else but not that."

"But at least, you may should be a little bit afraid." Kyuhyun smirked back. "It was now more or less one year ago that it happend for the first time and someone of us came into this village. We all know that it is actually forbidden for us, and my... my parents just do not want it. But after this certain person, and Jongwoon as well, came here I saw no reason not to do it too... and it was worth it!"

"Do you know the person?" Sungmin asked curious and relaxed into the warmth of Kyuhyun's jacket, ignored the vampire's last few words. "And to be honest, I had never expected that... that you have parents."

The other male chuckled. "You mean someone like me? They are not my real parents, but I respect them and am glad that I have them... even if Umma can be slightly annoying sometimes."

"Mmh... do you have any siblings?" the human asked softly and laid his head on his knees, watched Kyuhyun with sleepy eyes. "Please do not get it wrong, but I have never met a vampire before and you are so talkatice today..."

Kyuhyun sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, looked up at the stars. "As I said, you are way too curious Sungmin." he lapsed into silent, enjoyed the noises of the night around him and especially the beating sound of Sungmin's heart. He did not really know why, but the sound somehow calmed him.

"I am sorry..." Sungmin mumbled sleepy and suppressed a yawn, rubbed his eyes. "Not fair..."

"What?"

"I- I have waited the whole day for the night that I can meet you again, but you have not shown up, and now you are here and I feel like I could fall asleep the next moment. It is just not fair!" he huffed and tried to glare at Kyuhyun, but failed miserably. "Yah! Stop smirking at me!"

The vampire snorted, smirking, and shook his head. "You are a human and it is natural for you to sleep during the night." his smirk turned into a warm smile, when he looked at Sungmin who tried desperatly to stay awake. He sighed again. "You should sleep, really."

"No!" Sungmin pouted with a huff. "You will be gone when I wake up again. And you are a smartass!"

Stunned, Kyuhyun looked at him and did not know what to say, could only snort even more, when Sungmin blinked multiple times to stay awake. "Sungmin, you need your sleep! It is already bad enough that you are currently breaking another rule. I could not- nevermind. You should go home and sleep!"

Sungmin looked questioningly at him. "Second rule?"

"Yeah... 'Do not leave your house at night!', just in case that the creatures of the forest come into the village." Kyuhyun told him with a cheeky grin.

"It is stupid! When they are already in the village then they can also easily into the houses." Sungmin rolled his eyes, was already half asleep. "Whoever made those rules was either stupid, or insane... or both!"

The vampire could only laugh at Sungmin's cute face. "Not at all. We can only enter houses if the owner invites us; if not, all we can do is to wait outside. I do not know where the people have received this magical barrier, but we are bound by this magic and nobody can break it... and that is the reason why I am actually not a dangerous vampire, but a fragile fairy with crystal wings and with long blond locks. And I am living under your bed and observe you every night!"

"Sounds really nice..." Sungmin nodded with a meek smile, was more or less completely asleep. Kyuhyun sighed, smiling, and stood up, lifted the sleeping human in bridal style to his arms and looked up the small hill. "Umma will kill me, when he finds out..." he muttered and walked toward the village.


Kyuhyun was glad that the other villager were also sleeping, and that nobody crossed their way on his way to Sungmin's house. It would be difficult to hide himself with a human who may could get scared, when he suddenly woke up and was at the roof of a house or a barn. He was about to step out of the shadow of the house he was carefully hiding in, when he all of a sudden heard some footstep not far away from them.

"Damn it!" Kyuhyun cursed under his breath and pressed himself back into the security of the shadow, but froze in his motion as he accidently hit a flowerpot with his elbow. The pot waggled for a moment and before Kyuhyun could even react, it dropped to the ground and burst into pieces.

"Who is there?" the voice of a man, probably of a night guard, was only a few meters away from where Kyuhyun hid himself with Sungmin. What if they got caught? If they would find out that he was a vampire? What would happen to Sungmin then? "Come on! Why are you out at night? You should stay at home!"

"Sungmin... Sungmin!" the vampire whispered right next to Sungmin's ear, tried to wake the human up. "Wake up... please!" The light of the torch the man was holding, was now only a few steps away from them. "For god's sake, please wake up Sungmin! Otherwise, I am a dead man!"

"Do not wanna wake up Umma..." Sungmin mumbled quietly and tried to snuggle deeper into Kyuhyun's arms. "Still dark outside..."

"Dear lord... why me?!" Kyuhyun mentally facepalmed himself as he covered Sungmin's mouth with his hand, leaned over the still sleeping figure and bit him harshly into the soft skin at his neck.

Sungmin's eyes immediatly snapped open and he was about to scream, tried to get off of Kyuhyun's arms when he noticed his covered mouth and the latter's apologetic smile.

"Please do not scream." the taller male whispered and he slowly removed his hand, when he got a nod from Sungmin in response.

"Why-" Sungmin wanted to ask why the hell Kyuhyun had bitten him, when he suddenly heard the stern voice of the night guard. "Heaven hell!" he freed himself as fast as he could and stepped out of the shadow, walked in the direction of the guard.

"Who- oh, Sungmin-shii? What are you doing here?" the man breathed in relief, when he saw the younger bowing to him. "I am sorry. I could not sleep so I just took a walk."

"Have you also heard something break?" the man asked curious and looked past Sungmin. "Just let me check it and then I will bring you home!"

Hastily, Sungmin looked over his shoulder and saw the broken flowerpot at the ground. "Oh I- I think a just broke a flowerpot." he smiled forced and tried to block the man's way, but was shoved aside. "Let me just check..." the man mumbled and looked around the place where Kyuhyun actually was supposed to stay. "Mmmh... boy, you really should watch your feet! We are living in dangerous times."

"Yes, I will!" Sungmin nodded and bowed again. "I am sorry for causing trouble and will go home now."

"Sleep well, and no walking around during the night!" the night guard said and walked away. Sungmin sighed in relief and looked at where Kyuhyun should have stand. But it seemed that the vampire just disappeared again.

"That was really close!" he got almost a heart attack again, when Kyuhyun suddenly became visible next to him. "Youu~ you scared me to death!" he hissed and clutched his chest, could feel his racing heart beat. "Yeah... I had the vigils completely forgotten. Why did you not wake me?"

"I- What? You serious? I have tried it!" Kyuhyun answered and was aback about himself. "Why do I actually justify myself before you? I have tried to wake you up, but you did not want and so I bit you, and... oh come on! Let me  bring you home!" He grabbed Sungmin by the wrist and dragged him around the last corner, in the direction of the others house.

"Hey, you are not my father! And why do you care at all whether I sleep or not?" Sungmin asked back, as Kyuhyun pushed him to the front door.

"Yeah... I am not. But you need someone who cares about you." the vampire sighed and looked how Sungmin opened the door and stepped into the dark house.

"Do uhm... do you may want to come in?" the smaller male asked mumbling and looked shy at Kyuhyun.

The latter sighed, but nodded slowly. "If you promise to go to sleep, and you have to invite me. Otherwise, I can not come in." Kyuhyun told him and earned a broad smile. "It would be nice, if you come in." Sungmin just said and waited for Kyuhyun to come in, lead him upstairs to his bed room.

"Can you uhm... can you maybe stay until I went back to sleep? And- and just hold my hand? I know that you can not stay until the morning, but just... just for a moment." Sungmin could feel that he was blushing madly and he was still holding Kyuhyun's hand.

Kyuhyun sighed and squeezed Sungmin's hand lightly. "Okay... until you are asleep again." he nodded and sat down on the bed, looked out of the window until Sungmin had changed his clothes and lain down, held out his hand for him.

"Thank you..." Sungmin muttered sleepy, grabbed the others hand and closed his eyes. It did not take long and he was asleep again, still holding Kyuhyun's hand, while the latter rubbed with his thumb over the back of his hand and was watching his sleeping face.

His eyes wandered down to his neck where Kyuhyun could see the strangulation marks from his father and a slight red imprint of his own bite. "Maybe..." he suddenly mumbled and freed his hand from Sungmin's grip, left the room quietly.

"Hey... Sungmin. Come on... wake up." Kyuhyun crouched down next to the bed, was holding a cup of milk in one of his hands. Sungmin blinked sleepy at him and a smile crept up his face. "Kyu... you are still here..." he mumbled and sat up a little bit.

"Yes." Kyuhyun nodded smiling and handed him the cup. "Here, you should drink it. You will feel better after it."

Still half asleep, Sungmin took the cup and drank. "I like milk." he said and laid back down. "Thank you very much." "You are welcome." the vampire answered and placed the empty cup at the bedside table, waited until Sungmin was sleeping again before he stood up and walked towards the window.

He looked over the shoulder to the bed and could not help but to smile. "I hope you like the little present." Kyuhyun whispered smiling and disappeared.

 

 

tbc...