Heating things up

A couple, just for seven days

 

Sunggyu sighed. He seemed to do that a lot today. He felt so confused and messed up inside. And the root to all his problems: Nam Woo Hyun. Why was this guy always bringing him so much trouble?

“Hyung hyung!” Sunggyu tried to ignore the two figures running towards him, hoping that they would get the message and stop harassing him. But obviously, he wasn’t that good in predicting as he watched his two dongsaengs run up to him, without even pausing for a second.

“Sunggyu hyung!” Sungjong whined upon seeing his hyung ignoring him.

“WAE?” Sunggyu almost shouted, visibly irritated.

However, his dongsaengs had something urgent to tell their hyung that they totally ignored him.

“He’s here,” Hoya exclaimed.

“Who?” Sunggyu asked, curiously.

“Nam Woo Hyun!” Sungjong continued eagerly.

Oh my god. Sunggyu wasn’t sure if he said it out loud but he had definitely had enough of this guy’s name for today.

Sunggyu was practically dragged to the archery club by his overly-excited dongsaengs.

When he arrived, the club was already filled with people. Outside the club and peeking into the field were multitudes of fangirls who were screaming and cheering. The reason was obvious: Nam Woo Hyun.

Woohyun was dressed neatly in archery gear and Sunggyu bet he was the only one who could wear the archery gear and look so attractive and stunning. Sunggyu’s eyes scanned Woohyun’s face and spot the bruise that was on Woohyun’s left cheek, the one Sunggyu left. It was swollen and red, making a rush of guilt to rush to Sunggyu. He shouldn’t have hurt that pretty face.

Woohyun raised the bow, positioned it right at the target. The field was silent, all waiting for Woohyun to release the bow. Even Sunggyu was in awe. Even though he didn’t like Woohyun, he had to admit. At that moment, Woohyun was stunning. His level of concentration and strength amazed Sunggyu and he could only freeze and watch, his mouth agape.

Suuu. Woohyun released the bow and droplets of sweat trickled down his cheek. The arrow flew straight, like a bullet and hit straight and accurately on the bullseye. Tumultuous applause was immediately heard and cheers rang out.

Sunggyu’s eyes followed the younger’s figure as he disappeared into the changing room.

“Wow! Did you see that?” Sungjong immediately elbowed Hoya who was still staring in awe. Sungjong turned away from the awestruck Hoya to look for Sunggyu but the older one was already long gone.

~

“Woohyun. That was a great shot! Wouldn’t you join us for the next tournament? With you, I’m sure we could win the finals this time!” The captain asked the changing Woohyun.

“Hyung-nim. I don’t think I’m interested. I just came today because the teacher said my attendance was falling behind,” Woohyun tried to explain. Honestly, he didn’t really like archery. He was just being scouted, and forced to enter the archery club. However, it didn’t bother him that much as the archery club had a lot of members, meaning that he didn’t need to come often.

“Hyung!” Sunggyu called out to his captain who was still trying to persuade Woohyun. He obviously heard the conversation between the two.

Woohyun spun around to stare straight into Sunggyu’s eyes. His bruise was now blue-black and a lot worse than Sunggyu thought.

“Can you give me a second with this guy?” Sunggyu asked politely.

Raising his eyebrow, the captain just decided to give in to Sunggyu.

When the two of them were left in the quiet changing room, the atmosphere became awkward and tense. The two didn’t move and just kept staring at each other, like two enemies, wondering what the other will do next.

“So does it hurt?” Sunggyu asked, tone not kind, but in fact, taunting.

Woohyun looked at him weirdly, totally not understanding why Sunggyu was asking such a question since he didn't seem to care.

“If I said it didn’t, you would hit me on the other side?” Woohyun replied, his tone indifferent and cold.

Surprised at Woohyun’s reply, Sunggyu realized he was too harsh before.

“That’s not what I meant. Honestly,” Sunggyu’s tone softened and he made Woohyun sit on the bench. Then, he went over to get the first aid box.

“Ouch!” Woohyun hissed at Sunggyu, which made the other laugh.

“I didn’t know you were such a baby,” Sunggyu continued dabbing the bruise with antiseptic, this time just a little more gently. Woohyun sent him a deathly glare.

“Are you doing this sincerely?” Woohyun asked, once again, annoyed with the older’s rough and clumsy treatment.

“I’m not sorry. You deserved it anyway. But, I just thought maybe, I misunderstood you a little,” Sunggyu started. He realized that since this Nam Woo Hyun guy could get Yoona to fall for him, he shouldn’t be that bad. And anyway, Sunggyu shouldn’t even nto their business.

Then, they both fell silent.

“Do you love her?” Woohyun suddenly asked Sunggyu, shocking him so much, he applied too much pressure to Woohyun’s bruise.

“Freak!” Woohyun jumped at the pain. “Are you trying to punch me a second time?’ He shouted.

“Oh. Sorry. I was just too shocked. It’s your own fault for asking such a ridiculous question. Yoona and me? NO way!” Sunggyu replied, getting a little too worked up.

“if you say so,” Woohyun continued glancing at Sunggyu with suspicious and unbelieving eyes.

“I’m serious! We tried it once anyway. But, it didn't turn out well. The both of us were just two totally different people,” Sunggyu explained.

“Then why did you punch me?” Woohyun continued asking, long forgetting about his open wound.

Sunggyu took the bandage and pressed it hard onto Woohyun’s bruise.
“You hurt my friend. And honestly, what stupid excuse was ‘I couldn’t fall in love with you’?” Sunggyu mimicked Woohyun.

Woohyun frowned at the bandage being applied roughly but decided to ignore it since the treatment was finally over.
“It was the best for the two of us. Yoona-ssi is nice and smart, but I guess, she’s just not my type. Rather than dragging it, I'd rather
 be honest and tell her straight in the face.”

“And then, go find another girl friend the next day?” Sunggyu questioned.

Woohyun stared at Sunggyu at his question, which sounded more like a sarcastic comment to him.

“I just wanted to find somebody that I can love, somebody that is meant for me, only,” Woohyun answered, his volume decreasing probably because he was embarrassed.

Sunggyu almost burst out laughing at that.
“You sound like a baby or some small kid that believes in true love,” Sunggyu said, and burst into giggles.

Woohyun’s face went as red as a tomato.
“Who are you to criticize me? I’m sure that you’ve never been truly in love before!”

Sunggyu glared at Woohyun at that.

“Yoona-ssi told me. She told me about this friend who is extremely attractive and has been in many relationships, but he has never once truly fell in love,” Woohyun rebutted Sunggyu.

“That’s me. So? I’m definitely better than some guy who needs 7 days to find someone he loves,” Sunggyu started his attack.

“You! It’s not like I came up with the 7 days thing! It’s just a rumor that spread throughout the whole school!” Woohyun tried to defend himself.

“You went with it, didn’t you? You did break up with Yoona after a week, and now, you’ll just date whoever who asks you first, right? And then I’m sure you’ll break up with them next week!” Sunggyu’s attack became stronger.

“At least I try to fall in love with them. Unlike someone who just goes out with people, treat them like , then, wait for the person to dump them so that he can be the victim!” Woohyun wasn’t going to lose to Sunggyu.

Seeing that the battle wasn’t going to end, Woohyun just grabbed his bag and left the changing room.

‘That jerk!’ Sunggyu chased after Woohyun.

However, Woohyun was extremely quick and was already changing his shoes so that he could leave the school. But just then, a pink envelope fell out of the shoe box.

Woohyun picked it up and opened it. Then, he started reading the letter. As he read, his eyes grew bigger and bigger.

“Damn you Nam Woo Hyun,” Sunggyu had finally chased up to the young, dark-haired man.

“What tricks are you playing Kim Sunggyu!?” Woohyun showed the letter he received to the panting older man.

Sunggyu snatched the pink letter from Woohyun and read.

Nam Woohyun ssi: Hello. Sorry for the sudden letter, but I have always observed you from afar. I hope that you will be able to go out with me. I’ll be awaiting your reply,   <3 Kim Sunggyu

“What?!” Sunggyu practically shouted.

“Wow, gyu hyung, I never knew you bent that way,” Myungsoo’s voice was heard as he appeared from the corner of the corridor. A grin was etched on that handsome face.

“Wait. I didn’t write… Why would I write something like this? And definitely not to him!” Sunggyu tried to defend himself and pointed at Woohyun like he was some kind of disgusting freak.

Sunggyu scanned the letter again upon seeing Woohyun’s puzzled expression.

“Wait.. this handwriting, isn’t it yours, Myungsoo?” Sunggyu asked.

“What are you talking about, Sunggyu? I was with Myungsoo the whole time and totally didn’t see him writing anything!” Yoona appeared behind Myungsoo.

“No Yoona, trust me. This is definitely Myungsoo’…” Sunggyu tried to explain, totally in panic mode.

“Stop trying to defend yourself, gyu-hyung,” Myungsoo smiled widely at Sunggyu, who was totally clueless.

“And…” Myungsoo shifted to Nam Woohyun. “Woohyun-ssi, you won’t not accept gyu-hyung’s feelings right? You’ll go out with anybody who asks you first won’t you?” Myungsoo asked with a smile on his face.

A devil.. Woohyun thought as he watched Myungsoo’s angel smile.

“I guess..” Woohyun reluctantly agreed. In fact, Myungsoo didn’t allow him to reject.

“You must be kidding me. And why must I date this guy?” The hamster continued his protests.

“Sunggyu-hyung! Please Please! We need Woohyun for the upcoming tornament! We need him to come for archery practice!” Hoya and Sungjong appeared out of nowhere and started begging their hyung.

“You guys!” Sunggyu was on the verge of going crazy. Why was everyone picking on him today?

“Please hyung!”

“Gyu-hyung, you should just admit your feelings!”

“Sunggyu-ah, it’s only a week!”

Those voices kept on playing inside Sunggyu’s mind, which was now a hot pot of mixed thoughts.

“Fine!” Sunggyu screamed and the rest fell silent at the brown haired guy’s sudden outburst.

“Arasso! It’s just one week right?!” Sunggyu confirmed with his friends, who were eagerly nodding their heads in agreement.

“You're fine with that?” Sunggyu spun and asked Woohyun, who shrugged, meaning he didn’t care.

Sunggyu sighed and relented to his fate.

Then, the rest cheered. Woohyun was just staring blankly, his face with an expression that went ‘what the hell just happened?’

Sunggyu packed his bag up to leave and saw Woohyun waiting for him.

“What are you up to?” Sunggyu asked.

“Despite what happened before, we’re together now so…” Woohyun tried.

Ahh.. Sunggyu finally understood what was happening.

“So you always walk them home like this?” Sunggyu asked.

Woohyun nodded. “Of course! A good boyfriend should do that right?”

Sunggyu blushed at the ‘boyfriend’ word being mentioned. This was going to be so awkward.
Then, a rush of guilt rushed up to Sunggyu. He had never walked girls back home before. They would always say they’ll be okay and that their house was near so he would just drop them at some bus stop or restaurant.
Maybe, it was just as Woohyun said. He didn’t treat his girlfriends well enough.

~

Watching the two men leave school were Myungsoo and Yoona.

“Myungsoo-ah, why did you do that?” Yoona asked, curiously.

“Noona, you dated both of them. Don’t you feel like they’re both so compatible with one another?” Myungsoo started.

Yoona thought for awhile and decided, “I guess only Woohyun can handle somebody like Sunggyu.”

Myungsoo laughed in agreement.

“Then why didn’t you stop me?” Now, it was Myungsoo’s turn to ask Yoona.

Yoona paused for a moment, before answering, “They’re both two absolutely awesome people. I just want the both of them to give it a try. Even if they don’t end up together, I’m sure they’ll become irreplaceable friends.”

Myungsoo smiled. “They will. My expectations are never wrong!” Myungsoo announced confidently. Still, he was excited for the next 7 days.