Chen's Birthday Scenario

MINE

 

“I swear Victoria, if you got me male strippers for my birthday, I will never trust you again,” You warn your best friend as she brings you to an undisclosed location. Her hands were baring your eyes from seeing where she was taking you.

“I had nothing to do with this,” reveals Victoria as she takes the final steps into a building. She leans in closely “Also, you may regret saying that out loud,” Victoria removes her hands to show the coffee shop all decked out in birthday paraphernalia including a banner that said “Happy Birthday!”

You bring your hands to your mouth in surprise as everyone you know shouts “Happy Birthday!” You see all your co-workers form the coffee shop, even your boss lady. Some friends that you and Victoria have separate from the coffee shop are there. And lastly, even your family grace the party. You turn to Victoria “If you didn’t do this, who did?”

“Your wonderful boyfriend,” says Chen from behind you.

You throw your arms around Chen’s neck and hug him tightly to hide the beginning of tears. “Chen, this is great! You even managed to get my family here. How can I ever thank you?”

You back slightly from the hug and Chen gives you his curly smile that makes your heart skip a beat. “Introduce me to your family so you can’t deny my existence.”

You playfully swat at his shoulder “Why would I ever hide that you are my boyfriend? I brag about you to my sister all the time. And Victoria practically hates me because I talk about you so much.”

You do introduce Chen to your family. Your dad tells his stupid fireman joke and Chen laughs like it’s the funniest thing in the world. You have such an understanding boyfriend. Your sister and mother exchange glances and give you two thumbs up in approval.

Your boss announces everyone gets a free meal, courtesy of her from the coffee shop because you’re her best employee.

“Hey, didn’t I get employee of the month? What about my free food?” demands Victoria indignantly.

“She just gave that to you so you didn’t quit last month,” declares Ashley and everyone has a laugh.

After eating, Chen comes out with a chocolate truffle birthday cake, mounted with candles. Everyone in the shop sings to you the birthday song and you let out a belly laugh when you see how your cake is decorated. A chibi Chen is drawn in blue icing kissing a chibi you. You close your eyes to make a wish and blow out the candles. You grin as everyone cheers in celebration and Chen makes the first cut in your cake. He hands the piece to you accompanied by a kiss on you cheek.

“Too much sugar on her birthday will make ______ hyper,” You dad teases, winking at Chen.

“Hyper _______ is my favorite,” comments Chen.

The crowd all gets a piece of cake and slowly they start to trickle away, giving you one more birthday congratulations before they leave. Your manager insists you leave when you try to help her and the girls clean-up the mess. “Go enjoy your prince charming while you have the chance.”

“That was phenomenal,” you say again as Chen takes you to his apartment.

“You know you deserve the best,” maintains Chen, squeezing your hand. “After all the times you helped me when I was too tired after work to feed myself or all the medicine you brought to me to ease my throat after a harsh vocal practise? I wanted to show you how much I appreciate you. Every day I have to pinch myself to make sure this isn’t a fairy tale. I don’t want there to be any room for you to wonder ‘what if I chose Kris?’, you know?”

You stop walking and grab Chen by the shoulders. “You listen here Kim Jong-dae and listen well because I don’t want to have to repeat myself again. You are the best boyfriend in the world. You’re so thoughtful and sweet and I never thought I’d find a guy like you. It is I who thanks my lucky stars that we met. I love you and wouldn’t have it any other way. I knew it the moment you declared that I was yours.” You pull Chen’s face to yours to confirm your words with a kiss.

You scrunch your nose up in happiness when Chen looks slightly dazed at your kiss. “We should keep going; I’ve got your birthday present still to give you.”

You settle down in happiness at your favorite place in the world: encompassed in Chen’s arms as you swing on the moving bench on Chen’s rooftop getaway. Chen is lightly humming one of your favorite ballads under his breath as the two of you watch the clouds move slowly across the sky.

“When you become famous, I picture you writing me a song and even though there will be millions of girls screaming your name, you’ll only have eyes for me,” you find yourself telling Chen.

“Every time I sing a long song, I sing it as if I’m singing to you,” Chen admits with a shy smile. “How else would I get the feeling across?”

You put your arms around Chen’s mid-section and constrict. “How could you be any more perfect? I’m so glad you’re mine.”

Chen bonks himself on the head, “I almost forgot! Close your eyes and don’t move an inch,” he commands as he bounds away.

You sit perfectly still as you feel his presence sit beside you again. He lifts your hair out of the way and you feel something land on your chest. “Okay, open those pretty eyes of yours.”

You do as you’re told and Chen’s enchanting face comes into focus, “You can’t give yourself as a present silly, I already have you.”

Chen laughs but rolls his eyes at your lame joke. “Not me! What’s around your neck!”

You look down and see a locket hanging from a chain around your neck. “Open it,” prods Chen, a look of excited expectation on his face.

Inside the locket was a picture of Chen kissing your cheek at Ashley’s party, they day you had chosen Chen over Kris. On the opposite side Chen and ______ forever was engraved. This time you aren’t able to hold back the emotional tears.

“What’s wrong?” asks an immediately concerned Chen, wrapping you in his arms. “Does it bring back bad memories? I knew I should have gotten a different picture done.”

You only barely manage to gulp back your sobs to calm down your frantic boyfriend, “I’m crying because this is the most thoughtful and loving present anyone has ever gotten me. Chen, where did you come from, oh my god, this is...” you are now at a loss for words as tears continue to stream across your cheeks.

“You do love it? Good. You had me scared for a second,” Chen says, letting out a sigh of relief.

The only good answer you can think of is to kiss Chen again. You make it slow and try to pour as much love into it as you can. It feels like the only correct way to display how you feel right now. You close your locket and wipe your tears away. “I’m holding you to this now, you know. I’m never letting you go.”

“Nothing could make me part with you,” Chen promises, “Nothing.”