The truth, finally

MINE

 

Okay guys, this is the second to last chapter of this story. I'd thought I'd let you know, because you guys are awesome fans. This story was so freaking fun to write, i had so much fun. I was sad that it ended, but that's the flow of the story. I did intend for it to to be just a short story about Chen and Kris fighting over one girl. However, I'm really excited to announce that I already have another story in the making. You'll be seeing it in the near future~~~ In the meantime, stay tuned and enjoy how this awesome story plays out ;)

 

 

 

You slept in late Monday morning. Your phone beeped and woke you up. You checked your screen and you were pleasantly surprised that Chen had texted you.

Prince Charming says: I hope you had a good time last night because I had a great time. I can’t wait to see you again. When are you free? XoXo Chen.

Hugs and Kisses?  You fall back against your pillow and stretch luxuriously. How could your life get any better? You liked a guy who liked you back and wasn’t afraid to show it. The looks and charm fell into second place. All you had wanted was someone to hold our without holding back. Was that so much to ask for?

You frown slightly, remembering there was a blip in you currently perfect life. Kris the harasser. You were hoping he would give up his desperate reaching out to you. You had had enough of his holier-than-thou attitude. Chen was all you needed and more.

You look at your clock and decide to use your time wisely. Normally, you didn’t care too much about your looks but with the chance that Chen could surprise you at work, you put some effort into looking good. After showing, shaving, primping and straightening you step out of your apartment with a satisfied sigh. You were ready for whatever life had to throw at you today.

Your new-found confidence was changing your everyday life. Normally, when you had to shove through the afternoon rush, people would excuse themselves out of the way. You were surprised when you passed guys and they gave you the twice-over look. Even a little girl who had a fistful of wildflowers insisted ‘the pretty lady’ take one. You accept the weed generously and then tuck it behind your ear. Chen was upgrading every aspect of your life!

You breeze into the coffee shop, through the front door because you feel bold. You greet the regulars with a broad grin. You quickly glance around the room and you’re happy to not see Kris’s face. You hum as you hang up your jacket and get ready for work.

“You’re in a good mood,” teases Victoria, “Did you get some last night. Lucky Chen!”

“I’m not like you. I don’t put out on the first date,” you reply saucily. Victoria sticks out her tongue at you.

Ashley, one of the other waitresses, passes you and you tell her you’re back on the floor today. She unsuccessfully tries to hide her look of disappointment. You wanted to spread your cheer!

The rest of your shift was glorious. You didn’t have one cranky customer. You got an amazing amount of tips; you had to empty your apron pockets twice because they were weighing you down. Because you were having such a good time, your shift seemed to fly by. Before you knew it, your manager was clapping to get everyone’s attention, announcing the coffee shop was officially closed.

Victoria and you were side by side at your lockers when she asked you a question: “You’re still going to find time for me right? I’m your bestest friend. You can’t abandon me because you’re dating perfection on legs!” she wails, throwing her arms around your neck.

“I’m not going to be spending every waking moment with Chen, Victoria,” you say wryly.

Victoria straightens up at the conclusion she doesn’t have to work her magic to get me to hang out with her. “Good,” she says, smoothing her hair in a mirror, “Ashley’s having a barbeque and I want to go without Henry. I’m punishing him for not remembering my eye color. You’re coming with me sans Chen, and that’s that.”

You smile at Victoria’s selfishness, “Alright, I’ll mark that date on my calendar. I’m in high demand now!”

Victoria gets a call on her cell phone, so you wave goodbye to her, and leave first. You haul your purse over your shoulder and breathe in the nice night air. Your peacefulness is disturbed when a hand wraps around your upper arm and another covers your mouth.

“Don’t scream, it’s only me,” gets whispered in your ear.

You turn to glare at an uneasy Kris. “Are you trying to scare me to death? Normal people just say hi!”

“I’m sorry. I just didn’t want you to run away like last time.”

You’re shocked that Kris apologized right off the bat but you quickly bank that emotion. “What are you doing here? Haven’t I made it clear I don’t want to talk to you?!”

“Well, I have something to say to you, so you’re going to stand here and listen to me.” There’s the normal commanding Kris.

“I do not,” you say and move to leave.

Kris lets out a frustrated grunt. He has you by both arms now. Kris looks at you with those piercing eyes and you think you see some melancholy there, “Please listen to me, just this once. If you still feel the same after I’m done, you’re free to leave. I won’t bother you again.”

You did want him out of your life. It wouldn’t kill you to spare a few minutes to be rid of him for an eternity. “Fine. Go ahead.”

Kris drags his fingers through his hair. You were starting to get the impression this was his nervous tick. So he was human after all. “Look, I’m the kind of guy that gets what he wants all the time. I’ve been raised to always have your emotions in check. With those two facts in mind, it’s not surprising that I come off as cold and arrogant. I know this. I’ve never felt any reason to change. But then I met you. You’re so different from me. I’ll admit, yes, at first, you purely fascinated me; this girl who wears her emotions on her sleeve. I only have to look at your face to know what you’re thinking. When I’m around you, I feel the want to be happy and show you that’s what I’m feeling. You’re influence on me is catastrophic. The pull to make you smile tugs at me every day I see you. No girl has ever made me feel this way.”

“But old habits die hard. I wasn’t sure how you felt about me. I knew you thought I was attractive but I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to keep a hold of you with just looks. You’re like a free butterfly. That date was a real date to me. I wanted to do everything in my power to let you have fun. I knew I was losing you at the jewelry shop; I didn’t know what to do so I panicked and did the only thing I could think of first that would convince you I wasn’t playing around: I kissed you. I know now that was a mistake. You’re neither the kind of girl that you just kiss nor the kind of girl that will forgive you if you buy her something nice. I’m sorry you felt so hurt that I took you’re first kiss but I don’t regret kissing you. I wanted to kiss you since the ice cream parlour. I’m proud to be your first kiss, I just wish you felt the same way.”

And with that Kris had down-cast eyes, almost waiting for you to leave without a word. But you couldn’t. You felt like you found out so much it was hard to process it all in a short time. This explained so much! The reason why you thought he was such a heartless jerk. His constant hot and cold attitude change. Your complete confusion and frustration over the guy who was Kris.

But what did this mean? Your heart was battling to remove itself from your chest. Why were you so freaking happy? With Chen you felt like it was a dream but with Kris, it felt so real. You were befuddled beyond belief. You decide to settle with the truth.

“Kris, I was upset during that date because I found myself wishing it was a read date,” Kris raises his eyes, b with hope. You continue, “I did feel something for you. It’s good to hear the truth from you finally. I didn’t know I had such a lasting impression on you. But I’m dating someone now. He treats me really good. I hate to say it but you may be too late...”

“Tell me his name!” demands Kris, suddenly furious that someone could steal his future with you away.

“So you can do what? No Kris, this will be settled amongst the two of us.”

“Let me have a second chance! I know I can show you I’m the right choice,” Kris pleads.

“I can’t go on a date with you Kris. That would be betraying—” You stop yourself before you say Chen’s name. “It wouldn’t be fair.”

“Then I’ll be at your work every day, for as long as it takes to convince you. You’re going to come to work one day and realize you look more forward to seeing me than this other guy. I’ll win you, that I vow.”

You’re taken aback by Kris’s determination. It’s not like you can ban him from the coffee shop. You and Chen also weren’t set in stone; you hadn’t made any solid commitments. And technically, Kris had been the object of your affections first. You guess it wouldn’t hurt to agree to his proposal.

You give a slight nod and Kris twirls you in his arms in excitement. “Yes, I knew you wouldn’t be able to resist me!” You give him an admonishing look and he corrects himself. “I mean, thank you. I appreciate your trust,” Kris shows you the most brightest and genuine smile to date.

Kris even goes as far as to kiss you tenderly on the forehead. “You won’t regret this.”

Your life starts to make a pattern: during most of your free time you were talking or texting Chen. He had a tight schedule with his vocal training and part-time job. During work, Kris entertained you and put his best endeavour to make you smile. You did look forward to work that much more but you refused to conclude you enjoyed Kris’s attentions more than Chen’s.

“My day off is tomorrow,” You tell Kris, thinking it was courteous to tell him so he didn’t show up at the coffee shop. “I’m spending it with Victoria, so don’t give me that face!” You scold him when you see the light die a bit in his eyes. “You’ll see me the very next day.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to spend it with me?” Kris asks, taking your hand. “I’ll take you to places—wait, are you wearing my bracelet?”

You blush and look away, “I thought I’d wear it. I deserve it after all the grief you put me through.”

Kris frowns at your reasoning and then he beams at an epiphany. “I bought that originally to have me stamp on you. This means you accept that I claim you as mine.”

You remove your hand from Kris’s clutches but he continues to grin. “It does not mean that. I’ve just accepted your apology. Don't see into things that aren’t there,” You sniff.

Then you were at Ashley’s BBQ. Victoria was already drowning her sorrows and boosting her confidence with some beers. You keep your eye on Victoria, in case she got too out of hand. You had some pleasant conversation with some of the other girls there. You were glad to take a vacation from your boy worries, if just for a little bit.

You were in a deep conversation with a waitress from work, laughing over the weird tendencies of some of the coffee shop’s regulars when you hear Victoria screech Henry’s name. You were really hoping he was just calling. You look up just in time to see Victoria launch herself into Henry’s arms, covering him in wet kisses. Henry was talking low to Victoria and they moved to go into Ashley’s town house. The ecstatic couple revealed that Henry had brought back-up in case Victoria’s reaction hadn’t been a warm welcome. You see Chen’s smile as he watches Henry and Victoria make up. You take a step to go to his side and then stop when you see who he’s talking to: Kris.

At that very moment, both turn their heads and spot you before you can hide. They were friends?! Chen shouts your name and Kris waves to you at the same time. They exchange confused expressions when they find out they both know you. The boys walk purposely towards you. You try to smile as they reach your side. They both go to come up beside you and give you a kiss in greeting and stop to glare at the opposite offending boy.

Chen’s smile never falters, though. “How do you know ______, Kris?”

Kris’s eyes widen at a realization, “Wait, is Chen the other guy?”

“I’m dating her, yes. What do you mean by other?”

“This is just great,” Kris rolls his eyes, “Did you know?” he directs your way.

You put your hands up to show your innocence “I swear I had no idea you knew each other!”

“Are you the guy that’s been harassing her at work? I heard from Henry that Victoria was telling him about this guy,” Chen shrugs apologetically. God, why couldn’t Victoria learn to shut for once?!

Kris is offended at this remark, “I haven’t been harassing her! I’ve been convincing her that I’m the better choice over you, apparently.”

You start to get angry over the actuality that you are no longer par to of this conversation.

“She’s mine!” shouts Chen, smiling confidently.

Kris laughs mockingly. “No way” he says and glares at Chen.

“Guys! You can’t just insist who I belong to!”

Two different eyes focus solely on you. You gulp at now that their intensity is on you.

“Are you going to pick?” Both ask you. Kris seems to be searching your soul for your answer; Chen smiles sweetly at you. They were two totally different guys. How could you choose?

 

 

 

So... I'm thinking of torturing you guys with the ending. I've got it written. I know how it ends. You don't. How long before there's a petition to sign, demanding i post it???? *Muahahahahahaha*