Guilt’s ugly head

MINE

 

Kris releases you from the kiss but keeps a hold of your neck. Kris’s eyes travel over you face. You’re not sure if he's’ trying to memorize this moment or searching for an answer. Regardless, you are just too angry to think straight.

You bring your fingers to your lips, “That was my first kiss. You just sole my first kiss.”

Kris smiles, satisfied with your still-in-shock statement, “I do tend to have that affect on girls.”

“This is not a laughing matter. Without thinking of how I would feel about it, you just thoughtlessly took something very precious from me!”

“I wouldn’t say I didn’t think about it, “ Kris says, still not comprehending your bad mood.

“Do you think this is a joke? It’s not a laughing matter to me!” Angry tears start to well up in your eyes.

“Are you crying?” Kris says, now concerned.

“I would never cry over a jerk like you!” You deny and run out of the store. Kris calls after you but you don’t stop running until you get to the coffee shop. You still have an hour until your shift starts but you don’t care. You take deep breaths, trying to calm down before Victoria can see you and ask questions you don’t feel like answering.

When you do feel ready to go in the shop, Victoria immediately takes you aside to ask you several questions.

“How’d it go? Was it romantic? Did he feed you? Tell me he bought you something. Did you hold hands? Oh my god, did you kiss those perfect lips?”

“He didn’t show up,” you lie, tying your apron on and putting your hair in a ponytail.

“I can’t believe it! The audacity of him asking you and then not showing up. Wait, where have you been? You still have me dress on... why didn’t you change?”

“I don’t have to be pretty just for a boy. I decided to enjoy being dressed up and unavailable.” The lies seem to just pop out from your mouth easily.

“If you say so...” Victoria eyes you uncertainly.

“I’m going to get Ashley to switch dish duty with me. I’m not going to be waitressing today.” If Kris came here, you did not want to see his face. You knew if you did, you’d think about the kiss and berate yourself with how stupid you were to let him in your heart, even a little bit. You pause, knowing if you didn’t tell Victoria this last detail, she’d probably screw up your life somehow. “If Kris comes, please tell him I called in sick. You understand, right?”

Victoria got serious, “We girl got to stick together. You got it ______.”

You had guessed right. You didn’t know how long it was into your shift but you heard a commotion out front. You abandon the sink and dig yourself deeper into the back. You did not want Kris to find you. You hear your name being yelled and Victoria’s snobbish reply that you aren’t here. You thank Victoria for being steadfast at least in this regard. You send a silent apology for having to lie to your only friend. It quiets down eventually and you venture back to the dirty dishes.

Victoria comes back holding a box. You feel like someone is gripping your heart. “I held my own. He looked so frantic, like he would have given anything to talk to you. You sure he doesn’t have a good reason for ditching your date? What if he had family issues?” You see that Kris had gotten to Victoria. She looked like she pitied him.

“This is all a gag to him. I’m sure he’s laughing right now that you bought his bull.”

“______! It’s not like you to swear.”

“Sorry, Victoria. He put me in a bad mood. What’s that?” You point to the mystery box she’s still holding.

“Oh right,” Victoria hands the box to you. While you unwrap it, she explains “He said to give it to you. He says he’s sorry and that you should still have it.” Victoria gasps as you unveil the yellow heart pendant bracelet.

You immediately throw it in the trash. “______ what are you doing? That’s freaking expensive!” Victoria exclaims.

You shrug and go back to washing dishes, “It doesn’t mean anything to me. You can have it if you want.”

“But...” Victoria finishes digging the box out of the trash, “Surely he’s truly sorry if he bought you this.”

“A piece of jewelry does not entitle you to a second chance. I’m not that materialistic.”

“Well, I’ll just put it in your locker. Maybe you’ll change your mind.”

You didn’t, though. It stayed in your locker. You ended up covering it with an old scarf. You convinced yourself that once you had your emotions in order, you’d return it to Kris and ask him to never come back to the shop. Because he was coming everyday now. You never saw him. You had begged your manager to allow you to stay in the back this week. It made the other waitresses happy they didn’t have to do their share of dishes, so she agreed.  Victoria reported to you that he asked for you every day as well. Sometimes more than twice, depending on how insistent he felt that day. Victoria gave him various excuses. Victoria also told you he asked if you wore the bracelet.

“If he cares about it so damn much, just five it back to him,” you cry venomously one day.

Victoria tires but he declines. Stubborn male!

You put your whole brain towards your date with Chen. You don’t know why you had let Kris distract you from the real deal. Kris was just a beautiful face. Chen was good-looking, sweet, caring, and funny; everything you could want in a boyfriend. It was time to forget about Kris.

You couldn’t wait until Sunday and suddenly it was upon you. Victoria went to your place this time to create your look. She gave you a more sultry evening appearance: your hair was put in a sleek bun accompanied by smoky eyes and pouty red lips. The complete opposite of the fresh young girl you were with Kris. You liked the change.

A polite rap on your door makes you stop staring at yourself in the mirror. You open the door to a smiling Chen.

“Hello—” Chen cuts himself off when he gets a good look at who opened the door. “Excuse me,” he says looking behind you, “I’m looking for ______. You know cute, shy ______? You must be her hot, older sister.”

“You always know how to make me laugh,” you twirl for him. “You don’t like?”

Chen’s eyes go up and down your body, “Oh don’t get me wrong. I like a lot. Just promise me you’ll turn back into the girl I first met after midnight. I don’t think I could handle this girl every day.”

“You plan on keeping me out after midnight?” you smile, finding yourself getting flirty.

“I’ll take you for as long as you’ll let me,” he replies, offering his arm. You add gentlemanly to your list of perfects traits of Chen.

The two of you walk to a small restaurant. Chen made reservations and the server ushers you to your table. It’s a secluded spot near the back. The table is set for two with a bouquet of roses in the middle. A string quartet plays softly in the background.

You are in awe over the effort Chen put into your date. “This is awesome, Chen. I can’t believe you did all this for me.”

Chen smiles coyly, rubbing the back of his neck, “I wanted to make it special for you, since it’s your first date.”

Guilt rears its ugly head. This wasn’t your first date. You had stupidly wasted that on Kris. And look how that had turned out. Chen was proving himself a way better choice by the second.

“What do you want?” asks Chen, handing you a menu. Again, the differences show. You read the menu three times but can’t decide.

“I know! How about we order a small order of everything, just to get a taste? That way we can share the food too!” Chen suggests.

You nod eagerly and you are rewarded with Chen’s darling smile. One more of those and you just knew you were going to fall head over heels in love with him.

The food arrives and the two of you dive into the dishes. You laugh and joke with Chen as the two of you try a new dish and suggest what’s good, too greasy, etc. It was not like any experience you’ve ever had before. It made it more initiate and friendly then just two normal plates.

“Wow, I’m stuffed!” announces Chen.

You wipe your mouth with the stark white napkin and frown when some of your lipstick comes off. “The lady you invited to dinner was gone as soon as the food came,” you joke.

“I liked that you were comfortable enough to eat with me. Most girls would have just pushed their food around their plate. I don’t date girls that refuse to eat.” Take that Kris! Chen liked that you enjoy eating!

“Do you want dessert? They have an awesome double chocolate cheese cake.”

“Chocolate?” Your eyes light up at the one word.

“Two pieces of your cheese cake, please!”

You moan absurdly loud as soon as the morsel of cake hits your tongue. You quickly chew so you can tell Chen how good it is.

“I know! It’s the only reason I come back,” Chen digs into his piece of cake as well.

“You’ve got to promise me you’ll take me here again!”

“Oh, you’re not going to leave me guessing for a few days on whether you’ll allow me to take you on a second date?”

You shake your head, “I don’t like playing games like that. Victoria is like that. I hate it,” you scrunch up your nose to show your disgust.

“That’s a relief. In answer to you previous question, that all depends on how good your good-night kiss is,” Chen winks at you.

Your mind blanks at the mention of kiss. Your mind shows you your kiss with Kris. You try to shove it to the back of your mind before Chen notices your expression but it’s too late.

“Are you okay?” he asks, alarm written all over his face.

“I... I’m fine. I’m just tired,” you say, rubbing your face.

“We’ll go then,” recommends Chen and gets up so he can pull out your chair for you. He helps you into your jacket before sliding his own on and leaving some crisp bills on the table.

Chen wraps his arm around your waist, pulling you nearer to him as you walk back home “Don’t worry about the kiss. I would never force you to do something you weren’t ready for.” You want to cry. Why hadn’t Kris understood that?

“It’s not that I don’t want to kiss you...” you trail off wanting to smack yourself on the forehead. Why do you keep letting these things slip?!

Chen stops and his curly smile shows. “Good because I want to kiss you too.”

You look up through your mascara-ed eyelashes and Chen draws you closer. His hands push flat at the small of your back. You close your eyes and almost sigh at the feel of Chen’s hesitant lips on yours. Your kiss with Kris had been hungry and rushed. Chen’s was slow and sweet; it felt like it was building to a crescendo. Chen broke off the kiss, chuckling at the glazed look you had.

“I think we’ll stop here. I won’t walk you home because I’m afraid I’ll insist I come in and cuddle with you. Sweet dreams ______.”

You wave good-bye and watch him go down the street until he turns a corner and he’s gone. You walk with stars flying around your head. When you finally get back to your apartment, you close the door. You lean against it and slide down until your bum hits the floor. The date was simply dreamy. The problem was, why had Kris popped into your mind so many times?!