Surprise

MINE

 

 

A shout out to pigrabbitlove: When i see comments, it makes me eager to write more! keep commenting
So many subscribers and views in such a short time! That makes me super excited to share the next chapter with you alll!!!!! 
*hint* the more you comment, the more inspired i'll be to write :D

 

You sat in your room, late at night, staring at your phone. ­Someone had asked for your number. No, not someone; that friendly boy with the curly smile. The one that liked your coffee. The one who made you feel comfortable. Not like Kris, who seemed so mysterious. But that smile he gave you when you said his name... You shook your head. Kris was only there for your Americanos. Time to get this silly infatuation out of your mind.

Your phone scared the bejesus out of you when it started to ring. Unknown numer showed. Could it be that guy? You listen to Sorry Sorry for a bit, not wanting to appear too eager and then answered the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hi there. You might not remember me but I’m that guy you were talking to at Henry’s house a couple of nights ago? My name is Chen. I know this might seem forward but I was wondering if you’d like to hang out again. Maybe you can make me another coffee? Any other’s I’ve drunk since haven’t compared,” he sighs dramatically.

You giggle at his silliness. It’s like he knew just what to say to make your nervousness melt away. “Hi Chen, yes I remember you. How could I forget your—” Shoot, you almost said cheekbones, “—friendliness. You saved me form a boring evening. I’d love to go out for coffee sometime.”

“You would?! That’s a relief. I thought you might have a boyfriend or something.”

“No! I’ve never had a boyfriend, actually,” You close your eyes at your stupidity. How could you just tell him that kind of information?

“A cute girl like you, now that I don’t believe.” Oh my god. He thought you were cute. The guy with the to-die-for cheekbones actually said YOU were cute. Okay _______, calm down.

Your voice had gone a few notches higher, “Thank you. But it’s the truth.”

“That just means I have to make a good first impression on you. So, when and where do you want to meet up?”

“Surprise me,” popped out of your mouth.

“You’re an impulsive girl as well. Very interesting,” You swooned. You could just imagine that sweet smile spread across his face as he cradled his phone between his shoulder and those cheekbones you couldn’t get out of your head. “Okay, I’ll do some sleuthing and pop up randomly. Be prepared.”

‘Um, Chen. Thank you. For calling me and such. It was nice to talk to you again,” Ah there goes your cool facade.

“I couldn’t forget you,” Chen admits, “You were like Cinderella leaving the ball, right before I could ask your name.”

“I promise you won’t have to search the entire village for me,” you joke. Chen really knew how to get you out of your normal reclusive shell.

“See you later ______.”

“Goodnight, Chen.”

You thrashed around on your bed like you were having a seizure. This was really happening. You had a date with a really, really, really cute guy. Well, you thought it was a date. That gave you cause to pause. He had said hang out, but then he brought up the whole boyfriend thing and he said you were cute! Maybe he said that to all the girls he ‘hanged out’ with. Did attractive guys just surround themselves with cute girls? This was more under Victoria’s expertise. You were going to have to drill her tomorrow about it.

 

“He called you? Yes! I had a good vibe from him as soon as Henry called me. I should thank him, the guy, not Henry. Henry hasn’t called me in like 2 days to apologize. The standard wait is like 1 ¼. God, why did I have to fall in love with such an airhead? Anyways, what did he say?” babbled Victoria when you told her Chen had called. You told her word for word your entire conversation, hoping she would shed some light on it.

Victoria laughed at your ‘surprise me’ remark. “That’s something I would say. Good job on that. you let him know you’ve been single for while though. He might get the impression you’re desperate. Desperate in guy language equals clingy. Or he could interpret it as you’re eager to jump in the sack with him. Maybe that’s why he said hang out? He’s trying to get a feel for you first, possibly. That’s my best guess anyways.”

Whatever the case was, Victoria had just confused you even more. You were a nervous wreck now. You started to regret your sassy answer. Any time the door rang at work, you whipped your head to see if it was Chen. When you went out in public, you were constantly scanning the crowd for Chen’s face. The wait was starting to drive you up the wall. Doubt commenced to eat at you. What if he never showed up? Perhaps he had found a beautiful girl to court and had completely forgotten about you.

You came home one day from a trip to the Laundromat. You slowly went up your stairs, laundry basket on your hip. You took out your keys to get into your apartment when something caught your eye. A piece of paper was sticking out of your mail slot. It was a receipt from bakery not too far from your house. “Turn me around” was boldly written on the front. You turned it around to read the note that was left for you.

Hi ________!

I came by with some croissants to surprise you but you weren’t here. I was really looking forward to your amazing coffee too! I guess I’ll have to be faster to surprise you.

                                                                                                                             Chen

Damn it! You had missed him; all that waiting and pulling out your hair and you had missed him. That’s it, you decide, I’m going to hole myself in my apartment, other than going to work, of course. Victoria, however, had a different opinion when you caved and told her about how you had missed Chen.

“That’s why you’re been jumpy? God, by the way you’ve been acting, you’d think the Grim Reaper was out for you. That’s the best thing to happen. You’ve got to make guys wait or they’ll get bored of you quickly. He’s probably eager to see you now. Oh, I’m so excited for you. My little ______ is growing up!” Victoria hugged you tightly.

You pat her awkwardly on the back. You did not like PDA’s; they were too much for your shy disposition.

 “Alright, I know you don’t like this stuff,” Victoria released you reluctantly. “I wonder where and how he’ll surprise you next!”

Fate started to play with you. You began to collect notes left behind by Chen. Sentences like “Your Prince Charming will find his Cinderella” or “I promised we were all stupid, I’ll find you!” made you ‘aw’ a little bit. You missed him every time he tried to surprise you. One day you worked in the morning, he came to the coffee ship at night. Another day, there was a note on the take-out you ordered when you went to pick it up from the pizza restaurant you frequented. Chen had been doing some digging. You applauded him for his originality. The biggest surprise was the missing person’s poster on a lamp post on your way home from work. You were starting to wonder if he was missing you on purpose. You were almost to the point of just ending the game and calling Chen with a time and a place.

You were cleaning a recently vacated table at work when you felt someone tap your shoulder. You turn yourself so quickly you fall into the arms of the person behind you. You look up to find a glowing Kris. “Oh it’s you,” you say.

Kris looked bewildered, “That’s not the greeting I was expecting.”

You maneuver yourself out of his grasp and turn back to the table you were cleaning, “I was expecting someone else.”

Much to your frustration, Kris sits in a chair at the table you’re working on. A frown was marring his normally beautiful face. “Not a boyfriend.”

This makes you angry “No, a friend. Why? Do you think I couldn’t get a boyfriend?”

Kris looks relieved and then amused, “I don’t think you would know if a guy liked you even if he told you, straight up.”

“I don’t even know why you talk to me,” you mutter loud enough for him to hear.

“Why, you’re the most interesting coffee girl I’ve ever encountered.”

You stand straight to look at him in the face. Kris has a faultless poker face. Those eyes still mesmerize you; their effect hasn’t worn off yet. “You don’t happen to be a serial killer?” You say, your previous conversation with Victoria resurfacing. You your head to one side.

Kris blinks a couple of times and then bends over in a fit of laughter “Serial Killer? Where do you come up with these ideas? Do you think someone would forget my face so easily?”

So he did know how attractive he was. You felt yourself getting haughty. You didn’t like when people laughed at you. “Maybe that’s why you kill them.” You slap the table. “Order something or leave. I’ve work to do.”

Kris stares out the window, a small smile still lingering on his lips.  Those nice, pink... You shake your head. He was not going to catch you staring at him again.

“Are you done your shift soon?” he asks, out of the blue.

“Why? Are you going to follow me home and kill me there?”

“If I wanted to kill you, I’d have done it by now,” was his stoic reply. Okay, that only made you jitterier. “I simply find you hilarious. I’d like you to entertain me for a while longer.”

“I’m glad this simple girl has pleased you with her drabble,” You suddenly leave the table, not caring that it was half clean.

You stalk back to behind the counter and occupy yourself with re-arranging the mugs in size and correct order.

“Did you just tell Kris you wouldn’t date him?” grills Victoria.

“What would give you that impression?”

“Well, for one, he just face-palmed himself. Clue number two is he’s trying to get your attention right now.”

You sigh and gradually look up from counting. You lock eye contact with Kris. A chill goes up and down your spine. Why did he have this influence on you? You glance away without acknowledging that he clearly wanted to talk to you.

Victoria made a face that showed she was impressed, “I think you’ve got him wrapped around your finger. And this Chen making such an effort to surprise you. You going to play the field between them?”

“What? No! Neither of them has said anything about liking me or dating. Both have made if very apparent that they are around for my ability to make good tasting beverages. End of story.”

“You’re delusional if you think that’s true.”

“And you’re looking into this too much. Guys and girls can be just friends.”

Victoria looked at you like you were a five year old that clearly knew nothing. “Not those two guys.”