Resolutions

Starting off on the Wrong Foot

Chapter 13 – Resolutions

 

It had been almost a week since Seohyun received her new guitar from Yonghwa. So far it had been so good. She successfully avoided him by leaving class while he was busy saying his goodbyes to Professor Kim, as well as avoiding any place that he would go to. Yonghwa, dense as ever, just passed it off as her being a busy, college student with little free time on her hands. She was glad she could use the showcase as an excuse to not meet the man of her dreams. It was still painful for her to even go to school since she had what she wanted in front of her, but was forbidden from trying to reach it.

Eventually the final day of the week arrived, giving Seohyun two days where she would not be forced to see Yonghwa . With a relieved sigh she headed towards the direction of the bus stop, but was stopped by a familiar face that she hadn’t seen in a long time.

“Yo, how’s it going Seohyun ah? It’s been a long time, haha. Have you been avoiding me or something?” greeted her best friend from middle school. She was happy to see him after what felt like another few years of separation.  “Want to hang out for a while, or are you busy with other things?”

“Of course I’ll hang out, it feels like I haven’t seen you in ages,” she replied with a smile that had been hidden for almost seven days. “Are you hungry? Let’s go grab something to eat, I’m starving.” With a nod, Jinwoon led the way to the food court and sat down on a small, blue bench under the biggest tree in the food court. Once Seohyun sat down he immediately noticed the guitar strapped onto her back and proceeded to interrogate her about it.

“Whoa, did you get the guitar you smashed fixed?” he asked, motioning towards the case strapped onto her back. “I heard you got into a little accident and the guitar I gave you got smashed.” With that sentence Seohyun looked at him with an apologetic look, causing him to give her a slight chuckle. “Don’t look at me like that, hehe. Its fine don’t worry about it, I wasn’t using it anyways. It was a gift, I’m not going to yell at you for it.”

“I’m really sorry Jinwoon, I didn’t mean to trash your guitar. It really was an accident. And, this isn’t the same guitar, it’s…” Jinwoon looked at her expectantly, hoping that she would tell him something he wanted to hear. “It’s Yonghwa’s guitar. He let me have it.” A small, sad smile appeared on his face. He still loved Seohyun, but he knew that Yonghwa would be the one for her. If there was anyone who he wished Seohyun would end up with, it was Yonghwa.

“Can I see it?” Seohyun unstrapped it from her back and zipped open the black leather case enclosing it. When it was finally fully out of the case, he could not peel his surprised eyes away from the guitar. “Yaaaaaaaaaah, this thing is beautiful. It looks like it was custom made, definitely not your run-of-the-mill guitar you buy at a store. Did he really give you something like this?”

“Yeah…” she responded in a voice that was devoid of all emtion. Jinwoon was caught off guard by her attitude. Now that he realized it, she had been pretty drained of energy than she usually was. Something was up and he needed to find out what it was. He could not have Seohyun’s doubts ruin his plans. If there was one thing he was going to do, it was get them together no matter what. Even if Ye Ji tied him up in her dungeon and tortured him to death as a result.

“Are you okay Seohyun? You’re not your normal, cheerful self today. Does it have something to do with Yonghwa. Look, I know we talked about this a while ago, but you really have to straighten up your situation. You have to stop doubting yourself, just telling yourself you like him is a start.”

“I like that erted neighbor of mine named Jung Yonghwa. I love that conceited jerk Jung Yonghwa,” she responded, Jinwoon not registering what she had just said continued to speak.

“Wow, this again… Seohyun I told you that I can read you like a book. Just admit that you-” he paused midsentence, trying to make sense of what she had just said. Did she just admit to him that she liked Yonghwa? Was he hearing things or did he really just hear her confess that she liked him? “Wait, did you just say what I think you said?”

“Yes Jinwoon, I told you that I like, no, I love that man,” she confessed once again in an energy drained voice. “I finally realized what I feel for him, but no I wish I didn’t. I cut off all connection with him since the time he gave me this guitar. I just can’t be near him anymore Jinwoon. Every time I see him I want to run up to him, give him a massive hug, and tell him how much I like him.”

“Wow I was not expecting that,” replied a now dumbfounded Jinwoon. He knew he was going to get her to spill the beans eventually, but he had no idea that he was going to hear something like this. “Now that it’s out there you have to take action, go after him now. It doesn’t matter that he has a girlfriend seeing as how she’s a complete bi–” He would have continued to explain to her why Ye Ji was such a bad person, but he couldn’t let Seohyun find about her plans just yet.

“Jinwoon, we have been friends since forever, you should know by now that I’m not that kind of person. Ruining someone else’s relationship for my benefit wouldn’t be right. Even if I managed to succeed Yonghwa doesn’t feel that way about me.”

“Are you sure? Remember the story you told me about his sister? I’m willing to bet that the guitar you’re holding right now, is the guitar that his sister gave him.” A quick look at the bottom of the guitar indicated that his suspicions were right. From what Seohyun told him, there was no doubt that Yonghwa had some sort of feelings for her. There was no way that someone would give away their most prized possession to someone for no reason.

“Yeah, it is. That only makes it even harder for me. Yonghwa is throwing me mixed signals. He gave me this guitar and told me it was his ‘heart’ so I shouldn’t ever harm it. When we were talking that night, he also told me about how bad things were going with Ye Ji. I don’t know any more Jinwoon. I know I should be following my heart right now, but it’s telling me to do something bad. I just can’t break two people apart, I can’t.”

“Yonghwa likes you, I’m sure of that. Seohyun look, guys don’t casually talk about things like that with a girl unless they really trust her. He told you all of those things because he trusts you. Has he said anything else that might indicate his feelings towards you?” Every time Jinwoon saw a flicker of hope in Seohyun’s eyes he felt both pain and joy. His feelings didn’t matter anymore; all that mattered was making her dreams come true.

“Well we went on a ‘date’ according to him,” Seohyun began, adding air quotes to the word date. “It was the most magical day of my life. We went to the amusement park and it was better than any dream that I’ve ever had. That day could not have been more perfect,” she contently explained, passing Jinwoon the camera with the photos of the amusement park. His smile only grew larger and larger as he ran through the photos, eventually arriving at the picture with the skeleton man.

“This is great Seohyun. I know this will go against your values but please reconsider. This guy is dense as hell, he likes you he just doesn’t realize it. You have to tell him what you really feel for him. Please,” he begged. He even surprised himself at how hard he was trying to get them together. At first, whenever Yonghwa was mentioned, Jinwoon felt like exploding. Now he wanted to laugh at himself on how funny the situation had become.

“What does she have to reconsider?” a familiar female voice asked.

“Shin Hye unnie! Where have you been hiding? It has been too long since we last saw you. How are you?” Seohyun happily asked in her old cheerful tone.

“I’ve been around here and there. It’s great to see you guys again, I don’t really have friends here in Seoul so I’ve been lonely. Yong is being a bastard and he hangs around with that wicked witch of his so he doesn’t even bother to call,” she grumbled, adding on an adorable pout. “Anyways, Jinwoon what does she have to reconsider.”

“This,” he playfully explained, holding up the picture to Shin Hye’s eye level. Needless to say, Shin Hye was still very much the same since the last time they saw her. She was still as hyper as ever, indicated by her reaction at the cute picture.

“Kyaaaaaaaaaaa~~~~~~!!! I KNEW IT! Seohyun and Yong are finally going out?! This is too good to be true. I call being the maid of honor!! I’m sorry for any female friends or family Seohyun but I called it.” She jumped around yelling at the top of her lungs on how pretty she would look in a wedding dress. Seohyun and Jinwoon knew they would not be able to stop her incessant ramblings, so they decided it was better to just let her cool off.  “Oh my god, how did it happen? Did you guys kiss? OMO! I bet you guys even… I know how ‘hotheaded’ Yonghwa is…”

“Shin Hye unnie! It’s not like that,” Seohyun tried to argue, going back to her unemotional state. “I broke off all contact with him. I can’t bear to be just friends with him anymore. I know it sounds like I’m obsessed, that’s just how I feel.  The only way I can stop myself from causing problems between Yonghwa, Ye Ji, and me is to just disappear from his life.”

“Girl you are crazy. Yonghwa likes you too, it is so obvious. Jinwoon seems to know it too. Just confess to him, if by some wild chance he doesn’t like you back I’m sure nothing will change. Admitting your feelings is one step to solving your internal conflicts but the biggest fight is up ahead. You have to tell him.” She would have continued to tell Seohyun the same things that Jinwoon had said moments ago but noticed her best friend’s guitar in Seohyun’s hands. That’s when she knew it was mutual.

“Seohyun, please, Shin Hye noona and I are sure of what we are saying.”

“Seohyun is that Kyeong Eun’s guitar?” Shin Hye asked, receiving a nod from the depressed looking girl. “There you have it. That what you are holding there is his answer. He doesn’t even touch that guitar himself, if he gave it to you it’s definitely because he loves you. We just need to get him to realize it himself.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

While Shin Hye and Jinwoon were busy trying to convince Seohyun to become a homewrecker, Yonghwa was facing a problem of his own. Sadly, his problem was probably twenty to forty times worse. It was an evil, nagging, spoiled woman that latched onto him like a hungry leech.

“Yong~ common let’s go already. You’ve been sitting there playing that damned guitar for hours. I’m hungry and bored. Don’t you ever think about my needs?” Ye Ji whined in a girlish voice. To any other person Ye Ji would have seemed adorable, so adorable that her request could never be refused. Unfortunately for her, her opponent was already experienced in dealing with her troublesome demands.

“Ye Ji, just like you have been ing to get me to leave, I have been nagging you back to leave alone. I’m not stopping you from leaving you know. If you’re really that hungry and bored go find something else to do. I’m going to stay here a while longer,” he replied in an uncaring way. Yonghwa felt bad about doing that to her, but he had a limit to his patience. What he had told Seohyun a few nights ago had been troubling him since then. Every day he realized more and more how much Ye Ji made him angry in one day.

“Why are you being like this? Lately you have been really rude and insensitive. You don’t even pay attention to me anymore,” Ye Ji complained once more.  “I bet is has to do with some other girl doesn’t it? Tell me what her name is Jung Yonghwa, right now.” Yonghwa finally decided to raise his head to meet her gaze.

“Hahahaha, what? Are you serious Ye Ji? You think that I am cheating on you again? What is this going to be the 20th time you say that to me since getting back together?” he joked. He knew where this conversation was going and he didn’t feel like going there at the moment. “Just drop it. If I’m dealing with your attitude right now it obviously means I still want to be with you.”

“I don’t know what to think anymore Yonghwa. You used to pay attention to me even for the slightest reason. Now I have to drag you out of your house or the studio for you to even say hi to me. I just don’t think that’s right,” she continued complaining.

“Are you really doing this to me Ye Ji? You’re trying to tell me that I don’t pay enough attention to you? You tell some pretty funny jokes, you know,” he continued in his sarcastic tone. “You stick to me 22 hours a day. I’m surprised you even let me sleep in my own bed at night. If it were up to you, you’d force me to let you sleep in my house. Don’t come to me with your crap about neglecting you. I wish you were more like Seo-”

Ye Ji’s eyes opened as wide as they could when she heard him begin to say the name of the girl she wanted to stomp on for the rest of her life. “What was that!? You were going to say Seohyun’s name weren’t you?! I knew it, that little is trying to take you from me. We’ll you know what, it’s not going to happen.” Ye Ji stood up and began to storm out in her diva-like manner, only to be stopped by a firm grip on her arm.

“I know you’re going out to look for her, if you do that Moon Ye Ji, we’re done. I’m sick and tired of your crazy jealousy. You pulled the same stunt with my sister once, and even Shin Hye. You are crazy, why would you think I like Seohyun if I’m still with you,” he asked trying to hide the fact that he was doubting his relationship at that moment.

“I don’t know Yonghwa you tell me. If the way you say ‘Oh Seohyun is this’ and ‘Did you know Seohyun did that’ is any indication...” Ye Ji was furious right now. Yonghwa knew he needed to calm her down or she would definitely cause a problem with Seohyun. He brought her close to him and began to run his hand through her hair. “Yonghwa I know what youre doing. You always do this when I’m mad at you, well you wanna know something. It isn’t going to work. Ye Ji managed to throw his arm off of her and once again began to storm out.

Yonghwa was at his breaking point, there was no way he could take any more of her extreme jealousy. “Ye Ji, if you leave this room right now, we’re through,” he dryly said, trying not to grind his teeth. “If you confront Seohyun about this, you can forget about ever talking to me again, you got that?”

Ye Ji wasn’t stupid. As much as she wanted to go tear out Seohyun’s hair from the roots right now, she couldn’t risk it. Yonghwa had never once stood up to her, and the way that he was acting now put doubt in her head. She always thought that no matter how angry Yonghwa was, she could charm him back to her side. His attitude, however, was proving her theory to be dead wrong.

Although Yonghwa was fuming at the moment, he felt relief deep down. The straw that broke the camel’s back had been added long ago, he just hadn’t done anything about it. Deep down he also knew that Ye Ji and him were finished. The second an ultimatum is dropped, that’s when it is inevitable to salvage the relationship.

“I’m sorry Yonghwa, it’s just that I love you so much. I don’t want to lose you. Remember you promised to protect me from anything and everything all those years ago. I know you’re a man of your word and you will never leave me,” she cried, letting tears of desperation run down her cheeks. Guilt was the only way she was going to get him to stay now. She ran to him and buried her face into his chest, trying her hardest to keep up her act.

“I know everything you feel for that , Seohyun. No matter, you will never have a chance to be with that girl, EVER. I will make sure of it. Even if I die trying, you will never be happy with Seohyun or anyone else that isn’t me. Let’s see who has the last laugh in this…”

“Ye Ji, I think it’s time for you to go home, alright? You look pretty tired and worn out. Go home, take a shower, eat a nice dinner, and have a nice long rest,” Yonghwa ordered in a sweet and caring voice. “I’m sorry I fought with you. I know things aren’t like they used to be, but that’s expected after four years right?” Ye Ji felt him plant a soft kiss on her forehead and smiled. Her plan worked, she knew Yonghwa would always succumb to a woman crying her eyes out in front of him.

“Alright, I’ll go. I’m sorry we ended up fighting. You know… we can make up at my place if you want,” Ye Ji began, quickly changing her unhappy tone into a seductive one. She began to run her hand down his chest slowly, knowing that no man would be able to resist her. Just as she was about to take her actions to another level she felt a familiar grip on her hand. She looked up to see Yonghwa, facing away from her with an expression of frustration.

“Ye Ji, just leave,” he straightforwardly told her. “I’m not in the mood for your little tricks. I know you think I’m going to be your puppet forever but I’ll tell you right now, that is not the case. You may think your ‘charms’ work on every man, but I am still mad at you. I forgave you for today’s troubles, don’t give me another reason for you to be sorry,” he finished, walking over to pick up his guitar. “I’ll see you later.” He walked out of the studio, leaving an astounded Ye Ji behind.

“What…? Did he just…? Since when could someone resist me like that?” With that thought she ran her hands through her hair angrily and stormed out, wishing she could go give Yonghwa a piece of her mind.

Yonghwa hid behind a wall, watching Ye Ji storm off in the very familiar way she always did. He was in no mood for her to catch up to him and begin another argument.

“Aish, this stupid girl… What the hell is her deal? Can’t even breathe while I’m around her.” After a large sigh he began to doubt whether or not she was still worth the effort. He was sure that she was still somewhere in his heart, but lately it was harder and harder to find that little place where she was hiding. For some reason, a quick thought about Seohyun crossed his mind. “Hmm, now that I think about it, I haven’t seen Seohyun in ages. I wonder if she’s doing fine with her practicing.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Finally after hours of trying, Shin Hye and Jinwoon broke through. Seohyun finally cracked, partly because of the efforts of the annoying pair, but also because she just got tired of holding it in. She had to let it all out.  It didn’t matter that she was risking losing Ye Ji and Yonghwa as friends. In her mind it was better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

“So how are you going to do it,” Jinwoon eagerly asked. “It has to be big and extravagant. If it isn’t it wont catch his eye. Or it can be really corny and sappy so that it is more memorable. The point is, it has to catch his eye enough to break him and Ye Ji apart.”

“Trust me, that bond is not even a hair thick at this point. If Seohyun just told Yonghwa “I like you” and walked away, I’m sure he wouldn’t hesitate to run to her side,” Shin Hye added.

“Guys I’m really scared, I don’t want to do this. My sisters would be really disappointed in me if they found out that I was going after Yonghwa even though he has a girlfriend,” she worriedly explained. Seohyun truly wanted to confess; if only it didn’t conflict with the values she was given as she was growing up.

“Oh, Seohyun ah, how is your practice going for the big showcase? I’m sure it is going amazing with that new guitar of yours. Mind playing us a sample of what you will perform?” Shin Hye requested.  Seohyun quickly placed her hands in the right positions and began to play the song that Yonghwa had chosen for her. Jinwoon and Shin Hye noticed how calm and fluid her movements were, it was as if she had known how to play the guitar for years. After a few seconds it didn’t matter what her movements were like, Jinwoon and Shin Hye were mesmerized by her voice. There was something to her voice that just pulled them into it. The song was simple, and honestly didn’t really fit her in their eyes, but her performance seemed perfect.

“Whoa! You can play that song perfectly. You got that good in one week? Before this week you could barely strum the strings…” Jinwoon pointed out, still stupefied at her exceptional progress.

“Hehe, thanks you guys. I didn’t think it was going to be this easy but this song took me no time at all to master,” she awkwardly explained, scratching the back of her head in embarrassment.

“Well guys, I have to head on home, the owner of the house I’m staying in has a puppy and he must be hungry right about now.” Shin Hye stood up but gave Seohyun an unexpected hug before heading her way. “Yonghwa is my little bro now, you know. I’m glad someone like you is interested in him. Remember that you are better than Ye Ji in every way possible, never forget that. I know it sounds harsh but it is true, Ye Ji is not someone that Yonghwa should be with. She is a selfish brat that only cares for herself. When he is around you I feel like I’m seeing that goofy sixteen year old kid from back then. I’m really glad that you made your way into his life.

“Unnie…” Seohyun was left speechless. It really did mean a lot to her that Shin Hye was approving of her relationship with Yonghwa. Even though she shouldn’t be happy, knowing that she could potentially be breaking two people up, she couldn’t help it. “Thank you for your help unnie, I really appreciate it.

“No problem, what are friends for,” she giggled with a wink. “I’m running a bit late, I’ll see you around. If I don’t see you around in these few weeks, I’ll definitely come around to see your performance. Good luck with everything.” The tiny, hyperactive girl made her way into the distance, leaving Jinwoon and Seohyun alone in the twilit food court.

“It’s getting late huh Hyun? I guess we should be getting home too. I know your sisters will worry if you are out too late.”

“Yeah, it seems like it is. Thanks for helping me sort out this mess. I’m glad I have friends like you to cheer me on. Even if it is cheering me on to do a bad thing, hehe,” she joked with a nervous laugh.

“There’s nothing wrong with love, especially coming from such a pure and wholesome person like you,” he added admiringly.

“Your words have a tinge of experience to them Jinwoon. Is there a girl out there I should know about that makes your heart beat faster?”

“I guess you could say that,” he responded, mimicking Seohyun’s nervous laugh at the end of his sentence.

“I’ll see you later Jinwoon ah,” Seohyun told him before giving him a quick hug then running off with a giggle.

“Seohyun, be strong… I have your back, no matter what it is.”

________________________________________________________________________________________________

“YOU’RE GOING TO DO WHAT!?!?!” yelled the short but authoritative leader of the house.

“Seohyun did we hear you right or do we just need to get our ears checked? I think you just said you were going to be a homewrecker after all and take Yonghwa away from his girlfriend,” Jessica bluntly pointed out.

“I’m sorry unnie, I know I promised you that I would keep it all in but I just can’t. Didn’t you tell me to not keep my feelings bottle up? Well I’m going to follow that advice. Keeping it in will be more painful in the long run, even if I don’t get what I want. I’m really sorry to disappoint you,” Seohyun dejectedly  explained, keeping her head bowed the entire time.

“Seohyun… Just tell me you know what you are doing. This guy is your first love, people do stupid things for first loves. I want to tell you that I am against it but I can’t. You have to learn from your own mistakes, anyways I’m not your mom, I can’t actually stop you. I’m glad you warned us though. I guess you are more mature than some of us here,” Taeyeon joked trying to lighten up the atmosphere.

“Okay, okay, enough with the serious stuff,” Sooyoung began. Everyone could already tell which path the conversation was going to take now, and nobody really was in the mood for it.

“Yah, byuntae… You better keep that big mouth of yours shut, you hear me,” the blond ice princess threatened.

“Calm down grouchy, I was going to ask her how she was going to confess. I took care of my ‘business’ already, there will be no need for any inappropriate conversations to take place in this house tonight.” Once, Sooyoung said the word business, both Jessica and Taeyeon began to cough wildly, while a clueless Seohyun just looked at them if they were crazy.

“Um, I don’t know yet. Jinwoon and Shin Hye unnie told me it had to be big and memorable. I want it to be memorable, but big means that more people will see it. I really don’t want anyone else to know.”

“Well if it’s big it will be memorable, therefore sadly, it has to be big,” Taeyeon pointed out.

“Oh! I got it!! What if….” The tension in the room rose as three girls stared at Sooyoung expectantly. “If you…”

“Yah! Spit it out already, jeez…” Jessica ordered.

“Keep your on… What if you do it at that performance thing you have to do? The whole school will be there, so it will be big and everyone will remember the girl who confessed on the stage. Maybe you can dedicate the song to him before you start, like this:”

‘I would like to dedicate this song to the love of my life. A man, whom I love and will love for the rest of eternity, is in this room right now, yet he doesn’t know my feelings. I hope that through this song he will acknowledge my feelings so that I can live the rest of my life happily with him.’

Jessica’s face looked as if she wanted to throw up at the sight of Sooyoung’s acting. Taeyeon proceeded to burst out into laughter and Seohyun just covered her face with her hands and pretended to cry.

“Sooyoung, is this a joke or do you actually think she should do that?” Taeyeon managed to ask through her hysterical laughter. “If she pulled that on him, I’m sure he would hop on the next plane to the farthest point from Seoul out of embarrassment.

“Unnie… I’m not doing that. That just spells disaster. I’m not even sure the judges even allow us to speak other than to introduce ourselves and our song. If I manage to win I get to say a few words, but I doubt I will win since my song isn’t too great.”

“Well, whatever it is, just make sure it takes place at that festival. It is too much of a good opportunity to pass up,” Taeyeon added.

“Alright thanks for your support guys. I really appreciate it. I think I’m going to go practice the song some more so I have a better shot at getting the speech for the winner at the end. I’ll think of something to do in respect to the Yonghwa problem.” Seohyun headed off to her room, leaving her sisters to gossip some more about how their little Seohyun was now a woman.

“The trouble you put me through Jung Yonghwa…” she said to no one in particular once she was inside her room. “If only I didn’t love you so much, I wouldn’t have to all these crazy things for you.” She took out her new guitar and began to strum in the pattern that was already engraved into her memory, string by string. Even she was surprised at her own growth, but she knew it wasn’t enough win those few words at the end of the competition.

“I’m sorry Ye Ji unnie, but with this song, no matter how bad I am and how good you are, you will lose to me. Yonghwa is yours for now, just you wait… I will win that contest and when I do, my winning speech will let Yong oppa know the name of the woman who loves him the most in this world.”

With burning determination and passion in her eyes, she continued to play the song given to her by her love. No matter what it took, she would win both that contest and Jung Yonghwa’s heart. Ye Ji was out of the picture now, her perception of Ye Ji had been shattered. Although she really wanted to be friends with her, she knew it would not be possible if they both loved the same man.

 

Author’s Note: Ah anticipation!! I don’t know whether I want to write the next chapter tomorrow or wait until Sunday. I’m really looking forward to writing it. This chapter was actually one of the most annoying to write because of the lack of content it had. I had to stretch out the idea of Seohyun’s choice to fit my usual update size haha. Decided to throw in a bit of Yonghwa and Ye Ji tension to please all my Ye Ji haters out there. Since I couldn’t keep her out of the chapter, what better way to make up for it than by completely crushing her right? :D