(5)

Met Him on FaceBook

It’s been a while since I’ve spoken to him. It’s also been a while since I’ve gone on Face Book. Every day was another day to question, ‘why did he really add me?’

Even now, Rubylyn still asks me if he has added me yet. I still haven’t told her. She got so fed up with the same answer that she tried to take my phone away and send him a message on Face Book. Of course, I grabbed my phone before she could do any of that. That day, I didn’t talk to her afterwards.

I sat at a bench near the school, waiting for the bus to come. My mother was too busy with work that she couldn’t pick me or my sister up from school. We had to take the bus every day, using the bus card she had given us.

Once the bus arrived, I walked into it and scanned my bus card. I felt tired when I was walking down the aisle finding my seat. If I could, I would have taken a nap, but I knew I had to keep a wide eye when we came to my sister’s stop.

I felt my phone vibrate in my hands. I unlocked it, seeing there was a message from Rubylyn.

“When did you accept him as a friend?” I read aloud. I closed my phone and sat back into the seat. Of course she went through my Face Book and looked to see if I added him as a friend. I didn’t want to answer her, but I knew she’d know something was up if I avoided her question.

Unlocking my phone once again, I clicked back onto the message. Thinking of many excuses, I finally came up with one. Quickly tapping my fingers on the screen, I told her I was accepted this morning. I closed my phone and let out a sigh.

Looking out the window, I saw my sister was at the stop. “Stop here please!” I spoke out. The bus driver listened to my words, and he brought the bus to a stop. He opened the door, and my sister walked inside. I walked up to her to give her the bus card, and she scanned it. She walked with me back to where I was seated and sat next to me.

“How was school today?” I asked her.

She removed her backpack from her shoulders and placed it on her lap. She gave a loud sigh, “It was so boring today. I’m just glad today is over.”

“Do you have any homework you want me to help you with?” I asked.

When she opened to answer me, my phone vibrated in my hand again. Her eyes moved away from mine and looked down at my phone. Her head tilted to the side and tried to read who the text message was from.

“Rubylyn texted you,” she said. Her eyes looked back up at me, “Aren’t you going to answer it?”

“Well, I guess I will now.” I sighed. I looked at my phone and unlocked it. When I opened the message, it read, ‘why didn’t you tell me at lunch?’

I tapped on the keys and quickly wrote, ‘it slipped my mind, sorry.’

If that couldn’t shut her up, then I don’t know what will. I know she’ll probably call me later and complain about how I never told her and how she’s been constantly asking me. I tried to think of many things that I know she’d probably ask me and tried to think of answers.

I looked at my sister, “So do you need any help?”

“Well, I don’t think so. I finished most of my homework when it was given to me.” She swung her feet. I nodded my head.

When the bus came to a stop after ten minutes, it was our stop. My sister got up before me and walked to the front. I walked behind her, bowing at the driver before we left.

I grabbed onto her hand when she started to walk off before me. I kept her by my side and we walked home without saying anything.

When we reached home, our mother left us a note on the counter along with containers in a bag.

“Look, mom left something. I’ll read it,” my sister quickly took off her shoes and walked towards the counter before I could. “I can’t come home early today,” she started to read, “I have important things to do at work, so I left you food that Aunt Stella cooked for you yesterday. I’m so sorry, but you know how tough work has been for me. If any of you need help with homework, call me. Hina, make sure you don’t eat any sweets after you brush your teeth,” she grumbled, “Tala, text me when you both reach home, signed Mom.”

I sighed, “She’s not leaving until late again?” I dropped my bag down by the door and took off my shoes. I unlocked my phone, and texted her that we reached home.

“Yeah, I’ll warm up the food then.” Hina put her shoulder length hair in a ponytail and took out the food. I nodded at her and went to the bathroom to wash my face and hands.

I looked myself in the mirror. “Did he like the way I look?” I asked myself, looking at my face. “Probably not, he probably liked my name.” I looked at the name tag on my shirt, and then looked back at myself. “Or maybe I’m just an experiment. He probably just wants to see if I’d be the type of fan to go crazy over him adding me.”

I scoffed, “Well, I hope he knows I’m not like that. He’s probably going to get bored with me sooner or later.”

Walking out of the bathroom, I looked at my phone again. I ignored the text from Rubylyn and I looked at my notifications. I sat on a stool that was near the counter and placed my phone on it as I scrolled through boring statuses. I stopped when my eyes saw his name.

“I’m nervous this Face Book can be found out,” I read aloud. I saw he had comments underneath and I read them.

“Why would you be?” I saw Young Bae reply.

“I added a fan a few days ago, and I’m worried she might be those crazy ones.”

He was talking about me. I know he was.

“Why would you add her then, idiot?” Chae Rin replied back.

“I wanted to test something out.” He replied back to her.

“She can probably see this, you know.” Young Bae also commented.

“Tala, who are you talking to?” Hina turned around and looked at me. She raised her eyebrow.

“I’m not talking to anyone. I’m reading something.” I said.  I continued reading and was interrupted by a text message popping up on my screen.

‘I’m coming over.’ Rubylyn texted me. I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh.

“Hina, can you prepare an extra plate? Rubylyn is coming over.” 

_____________________________________________________________