Distractions Don't Work

Until We Meet Again

 

The loud and annoying beeping filtered through Kris’s ears. He groaned and put his pillow over his face, trying to drown out the frustrating noise. He moved his pillow and squinted his eyes at the bright sunlight coming through the window. Sitting up shakily, his tired hand found the off button and switched the demented alarm clock off. He stood up and stumbled into the bathroom, leaning on the sink and staring into the musty mirror.

His light hair was greasy, his brown eyes red and watery. He unlatched the medicine cabinet; it opened with a loud creek. The pain pills found a way to his hands and he swallowed three of them in a futile attempt to soothe his throbbing head.

He looked back into the mirror and frowned. “What have you done…” he whispered, then looked down to his chest. “Stupid fool.”

It had been three days since he’d met the boy and he still couldn’t forget about him. He couldn’t forget his slender body, his soft milky skin, his gentle and caring grin. He’d shown Kris a different side of the world because up until then, Kris had taken the world for granted. He’d used everyone he knew as toys. All he’d cared about were parties, alcohol and money. He’d stolen from strangers and friends alike and laughed when they got into financial trouble.

            When he met the boy, he learned a new way to live. That boy had nothing. He lived in a martial arts home because he couldn’t pay for his own home, he had no friends or family, and he was mute. Yet he still loved life. He still did what made him happy and was able to put a smile on every day. Kris had been trying to shake him off with liquor for days, yet nothing seemed to work. The drunker he got, the more he craved for the boy to be in his life again.

            “Damnit!” he mumbled, angrily raking a hairbrush through his matted and dirty hair. He put the brush back on the sink, realizing it was hopeless and giving up. He half walked half crawled back into his room and threw open his closet doors, trying to decide on what to wear. Realizing it didn’t matter, he just pulled on a pair of jeans and white T-shirt.

            He stopped and looked around at his small and empty apartment. His room was a mess with clothing strewn across the floor. The kitchen and bathroom weren’t much better. Dirty dished were piled high in the sink because he neglected to wash them. The whole place was dark and upsetting. Like so many other things he’d seen in his life, it was dreary and expressionless.

            His phone began to ring, snapping him from his depressing train of thought. For once, he was actually glad to be interrupted. He picked it up, “What.”

            “Hey.” Lay said nonchalantly from the other end. “What are you doing?”

“I just woke up, what do you think I’m doing?” Kris shot back.

He could hear Lay snickering on the other end, probably at his snide remarks. “Well what are you going to be doing?”

“I…” Kris stopped for a second. “don’t know.”

“You sound upset. Why don’t you come hang with Chen and me today.” He suggested. Kris thought for a moment. He usually wasn’t someone to decline invitations to hang. If he said no they may get suspicious. And there was one thing he knew. No one could know how he felt about the boy.

“Alright.”

“’aight cool. Get the hell down here.” Lay replied.

“Wait…you’re in the building?” Kris asked, shocked at first then he remembered it was Lay he was talking to. “I’ll be right there.”

“Peaskies.” Lay replied then hung up. The droning dial tone filled Kris’s ear and he snapped the phone shut quickly and began to walk out. Maybe hanging out would be good. It could get his mind off of the boy at least for a little while.

When the three of them began to walk Kris realized he was dead wrong. Just seeing the streets again threw the bittersweet memories back into his face. He remembered how tender and light the boy’s hand was as it fell perfectly into his own. His touch was so soft and sweet, it gave Kris a warm feeling.

He quickly shook his head to get the memories out of his head. Chen and Lay were both staring at him with accusing looks. “What was that.” Chen said.

Kris glared back at him before looking forward again, “Nothing.”

Chen and Lay looked at each other, both knowing what the other was thinking. Missing that mute kid? Lay texted Chen so Kris wouldn’t know of their conversations. Oh yeah. Let’s do this. Chen texted back. They both smiled evilly then immediately changed directions.

Kris stopped for a moment then began to follow him, “Why’d you freaking change like that.” He asked when he’d caught up.

“No reason.” Lay brushed it off, leading Kris away. “This way.”

They zigzagged in all different directions before finally stopping at a small street. Chen and Lay began walking again as if it was nothing, but Kris was speechless. He couldn’t stop himself from staring up at the large sign on the old brick building- Martial Arts. He swallowed hard, staring up at the sign.

Chen and Lay walked back slowly, both with snug smiles. “You miss him don’t you.” Lay pointed out.

“I didn’t know you were gay.” Chen said.

Kris looked at them both angrily. “I don’t miss him and I’m not gay!” he burst out. “He was just some stupid kid you made he hang out with who couldn’t even speak!” he began walking again, quickly this time. The other two strode forward and soon caught up.

“C’mon let’s go then.” Chen said. The sun was falling lower and lower in the sky, casting dark shadows through the alleys.

“Where?” Kris asked.

“There’s a party close by. You’re coming right?” Lay added. Kris nodded out of frustration and followed them to the party.

Bright lights, loud music and dancing bodies filled their senses as the three boys got closer and closer to the house. They made their way into the sweaty, grinding, dancing bodies and began to move with the flow. All night Kris tried to forget the boy and just have fun, but his mind continued to wander to places he didn’t even know existed.

Around 2:00am Chen and Kris were standing to the side drinking and talking to some people. Kris was still in a daze and wasn’t paying much attention to anything though. “You do miss him!” Chen accused when Kris didn’t answer anyone because he was lost in his mind.

“I don’t!” he screamed back.

Lay suddenly walked up, two ty looking girls under his arms. “Whaddup?”

“Kris missed that boy.” Chen said suddenly.

“I do not!” Kris said back.

“Guys, guys chill alright?” Lay said, moving one of the girls into Kris’s arms. “Amuse yourself for a while.” He said with a wink.

Kris rolled his eyes and turn to go, leaving the girl alone. He continued walking through the dark night air, refusing to look back. When he was finally far enough away he stopped and pulled out his phone. His eyes were adjusted to the darkness and he had to squint to see because of the bright light. He hit the wrong button and the picture of him and the boy popped up. He wanted to, needed to, delete it but couldn’t bring himself to do it.

That’s when he realized something. He had to see that boy again.



 

Yay so the first chappie is up m'dearies~!! I hope you like it!

I have to say i'm very surprised. 16 subbies and no chappies up yet O.O Wow.

I love you guys and i'm glad to see some of my old subbies from my Vinseop story here too!!

Comments=Love

 

Comment Replies:

ParadiseWithINFINITE: Well now you have a Taoris fic~!! and thanks for being patient!

RenaBunny: Updated* And yay, it sounds good ^,^

Yuukey: It's awesome to see you(or...hear for you..) dear!!!! And hmm...maybe this story'll get you into liking Taoris more!!! They're one of my main ships.

iloveshinee333: I hope it turns out good!!!!!