Chapter 6: Girlfriends

What Went Down

*A/N: Can you spot Waldo/the Super Junior-M members? Hint: They're the ones circled in red.

Don't Don. Donghae's hair was dyed blonde again, and Hyukjae thinks Donghae still looks kind of handsome. Actually, scratch that. Just plain handsome. At least better than his debut Twins days. 

Hyukjae thinks he himself still looks like a monkey.

***

Donghae starts going out with Jessica around the same time MC Shin Dong Yup starts working with Super Junior to film the Explorers of the Human Body. Now that Super Junior is definitely confirmed to be present for a couple of more years, Hyukjae is a lot more relaxed and assured of Donghae's constant presence. But with Jessica and Donghae sometimes making out publicly in SM's hallways and entirely ignoring him when he tries to get Donghae's attention, Hyukjae feels annoyed, unwanted, and like Donghae had already left Super Junior as he's rarely in the dorms anymore. 

"Keep eating her face in public and there would be a scandal," Hyukjae reminds Donghae. 

Donghae shrugs. "What is SM going to do about it? I draw in the most fans after Siwon, so they aren't going to fire me."

Donghae's right, and Hyukjae's slightly pissed. 

***

Hyukjae has to kiss several people during one episode of Explorers of the Human Body that tests methods of extending underwater breathing. Donghae can't stand the sight, so he looks away when Hyukjae does it. 

Ryeowook can't get a wink of sleep later that night. "Argh, why does Eunhyuk have to be so good at kissing?!" He moans into his pillow. "Girls, girls, girls. I like them. Not Eunhyuk. Argh." 

***

Subgroups. Hyukjae thinks they're rather stupid, but he doesn't complain. He gets a shock when Donghae tells him that he's leaving Korea one day.

"SM wants us to target China. Population of 1 billion people," Donghae says, gently combing Hyukjae's hair. Hyukjae feels a little uncomfortable because others are watching. Their own members are used to it by now, but Jessica, who doesn't live with them, narrows her eyes. Hyukjae's not sure if he should tell Donghae to stop. If he could've gotten away with it, he would've stuck his tongue out at Jessica. 

"I'll miss you," Hyukjae says as emotionlessly as possible, because he's actually a little scared of Jessica. He notices Leeteuk's frowning at them. Leeteuk's been frowning at them a lot lately.

Heechul drags Donghae away from Hyukjae then, and for once, Hyukjae's glad of Heechul's busybodying.

***

Donghae's kisses Jessica one day, and for the first time, she pulls away. She never did this before. Donghae lightly touches her cheek. "Hey, what's wrong?"

Jessica glares at him a little bit. "I just don't feel like it today."

***

Somehow, a picture of Jessica and Donghae wind up on the internet. Head Soo-Man is a little annoyed because he doesn't want to lose the revenue coming from Donghae's many fans, so he tells them to be on the down-low and tell the media so-and-so. 

"Geez," one of Super Junior's managers, Seunghwan, says. "Soo-Man told me that you could even use some of SM's private rooms--just no PDA anymore."

It's not necessary. Jessica hasn't been very responsive lately. 

***

Jessica and the rest of her groupmates decides to make a surprise visit to the Super Junior dorm one day. Leeteuk later tells the rest it's because they wanted to celebrate slightly freer schedules now that Explorers of the Human Body is over, but Hyukjae doubts it. His suspicions are later confirmed when he sees Leeteuk leave with Tiffany when everyone else is spazzing over the food the girls brought. 

"Hankyung's definitely going to be the leader of Super Junior C," Kangin says.

"It's Super Junior M. For Mandarin instead of Chinese," corrects Kyuhyun.

"Don't talk to your elders like that," almost everyone else says.

Kyuhyun shrugs. "Just something Heechul heard from management."

Everyone trusts Heechul, but no one wants to concede the point to Kyuhyun, so Sungmin changes the topic to their ELFs. 

"Some of our fans are psychotic," he begins. 

Sunny asks, "Didn't they buy over 50,000 of SM's stocks and boycott all of your materials for a while?"

"No, they invited Soo-Man for cookies and ice cream," Heechul said nastily. 

"Hey, be nice." Ryeowook pokes his fork into Heechul, and eeps when Heechul whips around to glare at him. 

Jessica says suddenly, "Stop that." She looks like she's about to cry, and everyone, including Hyukjae, turns to look at her. Then everyone else, except Hyukjae, since he's not able to, turns to look at her addressee.  

"What?" Hyukjae asks testily. His index finger is lightly touching Donghae's neck, as some joseon ganjang (soy sauce) had fallen there. Hyukjae wipes off the soy sauce and cleans his finger on a napkin. 

***

"Hyoyeon, I think Donghae's gay."

A snort. "I guess him not face with you in public now is a real blow, huh?"

"No," Jessica persists. "The way he looks at Eunhyuk sometimes...well, at the very least I think he's bi."

"You think too much."

***

Donghae leaves for China with Han Kyung, Siwon, Kyuhyun, and Ryeowook. Jessica breaks up with him before he goes. Hyukjae's nervous and wondering if Donghae's going to lock himself in his room again, since hey, he cared a lot about Jessica, but Donghae's remarkably blase about the whole thing.

" said I wasn't manly enough."

"..."

"I'll show her. I'm gonna be a real ladies man in China."

***

Donghae thinks Henry's a little scared of all of them. When he's first introduced to Super Junior, Leeteuk decides to show his friendliness (and ignorance of Western culture) by slapping the Canadian's and calling him good-looking. 

Donghae's hair was long, and Heechul's hair was longer. Hyukjae was trying to hide his hard-on that he got from Donghae sitting on his lap and moving too much. 

Now, Henry's grimacing at the latest display of affection. Just because it's China, doesn't mean the skinship gets toned down any. Siwon just waltzed back from a sweaty gym workout and literally s Donghae in an unwanted hug. 

Donghae smiles but he inwardly mourns that Hyukjae's much more comfortable hugs aren't going to be available for a while. 

***

"Do you like watching movies?" Donghae asks Henry, forlornly looking at one of Hyukjae's shirts he packed with him. Donghae holds it to his chest and tries to sniff any Hyukjae out from the shirt. 

"Uh, some of them," Henry says. They're watching TV in their shared dorm. Henry freezes when he notices what Donghae's doing. "Um. Dude. Is that Eunhyuk's shirt?"

"...Yeah. I really miss him."

Henry fidgets a little uncomfortably. "Um. Great. What kind of movies do you like?"

"I really like American movies. Like Titanic. You?"

"Uh. Um. I like action movies more." 

Donghae stops sniffing Hyukjae's shirt because he gets the feeling that's what's making Henry fidgety. "I like those, too. Do you want to watch one together? I packed some of my favorites."

Henry grinned. "Sure!" His grins drops when he sees Donghae take off his shirt and replace it with Hyukjae's. "Erm. You really like Eunhyuk, don't you?"

***

Donghae's starting to think the fans in China are more psychotic than the ones in Korea. But at least there are less stalkers. While he's getting some french fries at a McDonald's with Henry, Donghae smiles charmingly at one of his pretty fans, gives her his phone number, and whispers in her ear to meet him later at the so-and-so hotel at so-and-so. 

Henry scrunches his nose. "Dude, I don't see how you could do that. Does Eunhyuk know about this?"

Donghae glares at him. "What does Eunhyuk have to do with anything?"

"Well...I think that girl was at least number eleven. Umm...are you and Eunhyuk fighting or something? He was crying when he video-called us yesterday." 

Um, I should feel guilty. But I feel kinda good that he's missing me. "He cries more than me."

***

Sorry, Sorry. Their biggest hit yet. They hardly have time to celebrate and relax before Hangeng and the other members of Super Junior M start working again. Donghae's absolutely sick of working. Hangeng is getting thinner by the day and coughing a little like Donghae's dad did. Donghae corners him one day and demands him to take better care of himself.

"I can say the same about you," Hangeng shoots back in Chinese. "You've been looking like a cranky old man lately."

***

 

Kibum tells everyone he wants to focus on his acting career. Donghae's eyes grew really big and teary, but Hyukjae's later kind of glad Kibum left because there  would be less Kihae fans.

***

At least Super Girl is a hit. It's a little awkward seeing Jessica again during the MV filming, but Donghae has Henry to talk to distract him.

Hyukjae tells him over a phone call that he's going out with a trainee who's an excellent dancer, might debut soon, and is twenty years old. Donghae doesn't know why, but he hangs up the phone on Hyukjae angrily that day.

***

Hyukjae broke up with his girlfriend. "She said that she thought I didn't really love her," he said, annoyed, over the phone.

"Does she still like you?"

"She says so, but she even transferred agencies to get away from me right after we broke up."

Donghae's a little selfishly happy that he has more Hyukjae to himself now. 

***

Henry now knows all the Super Junior members aren't gay anymore. Well, he still has his doubts about some of them. But he knows they aren't gay. They just do gay stuff. 

"Eunhyukkie kissed me once," Donghae tells him suddenly while they're watching Mission Impossible.

Henry spits out his drink. "WHAT?"

"Actually, it was twice. I think it was because he was slightly intoxicated, even though he says he wasn't when he was kissing me. Is kissing normal between same- best friends?"

"Um. I don't think so." Henry puts the ice cube that fell onto the floor back into his mouth. "But you said he was drunk, so he probably still likes girls."

"Yeah," Donghae muses. "I know he likes girls because he used to flirt with a lot of girls in his trainee days. He's better now, but he just went out with a girl trainee. He broke up with her, but I know he's not gay." 

"Just because he goes out girls doesn't mean he can't like both."

Donghae pelts Henry with an ice cube. "Hey, let's talk about something else."

"...okay. You said you wanted a lot of kids, right?"

"Yeah. I want to name one of them Eunhae."

Henry chokes on an ice cube. "Why?"

"I really like him. Not in the way some of our fans think of it, but as something of a mix between a father or an adopted brother. I can't imagine life without him."

***

The Super Show 2 tour is scheduled to begin soon. Donghae begs Hyukjae to help him with the choreography and dancing in one of his songs.

"Why?" Hyukjae grumpily asks.

Donghae cheekily grins. "Because you're like a queen and beautiful!"

Hyukjae asks to switch dorm mates that day.

***

Donghae finds several substitutes for Jessica (who he later thinks he liked because of her mutual love of American movies): Peter, YoungSky, and Chance from One Way. He asks Chance to look over his song "Beautiful" for him. 

"I think you should substitute Eunhyuk with a girl," Chance says. 

Donghae firmly refuses. He just think it won't be the same with a girl. Chance gives Donghae a funny look when he tells him that.

***

The end of 2009 is a tumultous time for the band. With Kangin's assault and DUI hit-and-run charges and Han Kyung filing for an early contract termination, Super Junior's members look like they're going to decrease from 13 to 10. 

SM is pretty antagonistic towards all of its male artists at this time. Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Junsu leave their former band, TVXQ, in October. Hyukjae's phone is taken away from him by management, and he's forbidden all contact with Junsu. 

Donghae hates Hyukjae being sad, so he starts spending more and more time with Hyukjae. He realizes to himself that when Hyukjae's in pain, it pains him, too.

***

Han Kyung leaves. Everyone's contracts are reexamined, and everyone's pretty pessimistic about the future of their group. 

"I doubt there's going to be another hit like Sorry, Sorry," Kyuhyun says over dinner. 

"Shut up," almost everyone else responds.

***

"I was bored today, and started googling you," Peter says. 

"I do that, too," Donghae admits. "I love looking at my face. And Eunhyukkie's. Yours I can pass on, though."

Peter scowls. "Do you always have to be so blunt?"

Donghae shrugs.

***

Over a bag of Doritos, Chance says to Donghae, "You have over 6 million Google image results." 

Donghae smiles a close-lipped smile. I probably have orange Dorito mush all over my teeth.

"As for you and your ex-girlfriend...if you google Donghae and Jessica, you get over 700,000 results," Youngsky continues. Peter's sipping a beer. 

"Huh," Donghae says. 

"If you google 'Donghae and Eunhyuk', it's almost 3 million." Chance steals a sip of Peter's beer.

Donghae narrows his eyes. Them, too? "If you're going to ask me whether I'm gay, don't. Some es at my university go on about that whenever they're trying to get a rise out of me."

"I thought es liked that kind of stuff."

"...I weren't talking about girl es."

"Oh." Chance guzzles down the rest of the beer. 

***

Donghae's quite sick of people questioning his uality. He starts working out and doing other things that are generally considered manly, and he notices Jessica shoot him some longing looks once in a while again. He one eyebrow at her as he passes by her, walking with BoA herself. 

***

Hong Seok-Cheon. Hyukjae visits his restaurant with Junsu, Jaejoong, and Yoochun right after he gets his phone back. Jaejoong greets Hong Seok-Cheon with a hug, and Hyukjae carefully monitors Junsu and Yoochun's expressions. What did he notice?

They didn't give a damn. 

Hong Seok-Cheon lets them hire a private room, and he sits down with them himself. Junsu confesses he's going out with a girl, but he didn't tell his parents yet.

"Why?" Asks Hyukjae.

Junsu says shortly, "She's black."

"Ah," Seok-Cheon says. "It's sad our country is still rather close-minded when it comes to those kind of things." He gives Hyukjae a mischievous look. "So, Mr. Dancing Machine? Are you seeing anyone?"

"No. I wish I was," Hyukjae says before he can stop himself. 

Junsu smirks. "I can introduce you to a few girls."

"Thanks, but I've already got someone in mind," Hyukjae says bitterly.

His audience's intrigued. "Someone we know?" Yoochun asks.

"Yeah. Good dancer. Amazing smile. Pretty hot. But not interested in my type."

***

Three months pass before Hyukjae finally tells Junsu that it's Donghae. "I don't know why," Hyukjae said, frustrated. "He's really stupid sometimes, he drives like a crazy person, and he always asks me to pay for everything when we go out together. And he's a guy."

Junsu blinks. "So...you're gay?" He's surprisingly chill about the whole situation. 

"No! I think Tiffany's hot, and...don't you remember that girl I confessed to once?"

Junsu laughed. "Maybe you're straight with some Hae-ual in you."

"...don't call him Hae."

***

Donghae notices Hyukjae's abs are becoming more and more defined. "Wow," he breathes after he pokes them. "I wish I had a six-pack."

Hyukjae's trying his best not to get a hard-on. But Donghae just had to accidentally(?) rub his knee against Hyukjae's crotch when he started getting uncomfortable with their position.

Hyukjae abruptly pushes Donghae off him, and Donghae half-screams half-yelps when his back hits a thumbtack some idiot left on the floor. "That hurt, Hyukkie!" Donghae yelled

All's forgiven in two hours. Donghae still snuggles next to Hyukjae that night, even though Leeteuk expressly told him to stop sneaking into Hyukjae's bed over dinner that day.

***

"Eunhyuk, can I talk to you for a moment?"

 Hyukjae quickly gulps down the rest of his green beans. "Sure, Leeteuk." 

Hyukjae follows Leeteuk outside of the dorm and into one of SM's broom cupboards.

"Um," Hyukjae says. 

Leeteuk takes one more step away from Hyukjae, because he's uncomfortable with their close proximity, too, and begins, "Heechul told me that you liked Donghae. Consummately."

Unfortunately, a dustball decides to enter Hyukjae's nose when he takes a sharp intake of breath, and Leeteuk takes the next five minutes copiously thwacking Hyukjae on the back. 

"You know how Heechul is," Hyukjae says through watery eyes. "I love Donghae, but we're never going to go out or be anything more than friends." 

Leeteuk doesn't look convinced. "Does he like you?"

"Definitely not," Hyukjae says firmly. 

"Well, tell him to stop sleeping in the same bed as you. You two are both men in their twenties." 

***

Hyukjae can't say that to Donghae, and his new roommate, Sungmin, doesn't mind, so Leeteuk ends up reprimanding them in front of everyone. "Heechul's kisses, Kangin's early enlistment, and Han Kyung's lawsuit were bad enough!" He yells. "Don't make any more trouble for us!"

"I don't see how them sleeping together is causing any trouble for us," Sungmin says. 

Shindong finally talks (he didn't so far in this story because he was too busy eating during mealtimes). "Actually, I agree with Leeteuk. You two are too old for this."

Hyukjae glares at Kyuhyun because he knows he's going to make some smartass comment soon, but his glare falters before Kyuhyun's somewhat knowing, mischievous smirk. "What?" Hyukjae asks nervously. 

Kyuhyun widens his eyes in a fail attempt at innocence. "Nothing."

"Just checking...Eunhae's not real, right?" Ryeowook asks. 

"No! , what the hell's wrong with all of you?" Donghae snaps. He stands up from their table angrily. "I'm going to see Chance. I'll see you s at four."

***

"Urgh, I really wish I had my own apartment sometimes," Donghae tells Chance after ranting about what happened earlier. He's still breathing hard. 

"If I had to dorm with Youngsky and Peter, I would've been convicted for homicide already," Chance says casually. 

***

"Stop avoiding me," Hyukjae tells Donghae after he finally manages to drag him into his room. 

"I'm not. I just uploaded that picture of us looking like we're about to kiss, didn't I?" Donghae opens one of Hyukjae's Pepero boxes without permission and pops three sticks into his mouth. 

Hyukjae takes a stick himself and bites into it so viciously some crumbs fly onto Donghae's face. "Yeah, but I'm sick of this recent thing going on. You only approach me now when it's for fanservice."

Donghae annoyedly wipes the mushy crumbs off his cheek. "Some of our fans are so ing annoying. Some idiot ELFs told me that the only way they remembered me from Super Junior was because I was 'the fatherless one'."

"They aren't true fans," Hyukjae says quietly. "But do I really disgust you so much?"

"No!" Donghae says, frantically waving his hands in denial. "I'll always love you, Hyukkie."

Something that looks like anger flashes across Hyukjae's eyes. "Donghae. Stop that."

"What?"

Hyukjae glares at him. "Are you an idiot? Do you not remember that I kissed you twice and confessed to you? Or am I just not that significant to you?"

Donghae slowly removes his right leg that was under Hyukjae's left. "I thought...you were intoxicated. Or it was just a phase." He looks straight at Hyukjae. "I...I don't like you that way."

And something in Hyukjae just snaps then. "Oh, really?" Hyukjae growls. Donghae's eyes widen as Hyukjae pushes Donghae's back onto their bed and fiercely kisses him.

"Oh," Donghae says. The box of Pepero fall out of his hands and onto the floor, but Hyukjae really doesn't care about that right now. He's determined to make Donghae respond. Donghae wasn't resisting yet, but not really doing anything either. So, Hyukjae takes off Donghae's shirt (which is really a shirt Donghae stolen from Hyukjae) and his mouth descends onto one of Donghae's s. 

Donghae gasps, and arches his back off the bed. "," he says. Since an arched Donghae feels better than a limp Donghae, Hyukjae uses his right hand to lightly knead Donghae's other while his tongue is pleasuring the other. 

"You're--you're--how the hell are you so good at this?" Donghae scowls as he realizes he's in the girl role right now, and bites down hard on Hyukjae's neck to make him squirm a little. Hyukjae moans throatily, and Donghae looks nervously at the open door. The others should be back soon. 

"Those videos were good for something," Hyukjae whispered. He caught Donghae's line of sight. 

"I'll lock the door," Donghae said. 

 ***

"Junsu once asked me if I was Hae-ual. Are you Hyuk-ual?" Hyukjae asks him giddily after the both of them are laying side by side, sweating, exhausted, and only in their boxers. 

Donghae bites his lip. "I don't know." 

Hyukjae frowns. Although he could tell Donghae certainly enjoyed their make out session (which culminated in grinding and the room smelling like ) during it, Donghae looked like he was about to cry now. "What's wrong?" He asks, brushing his left hand against Donghae's.

"I...I...Donghwa would hate me," Donghae said softly. "He hates gays."

***

The two agree not to tell anyone. It's kind of thrilling to both at first. Though Hyukjae can tell Donghae's conflicted about the whole thing, Donghae still liked the somewhat double-life. Hyukjae notices Donghae stopped wearing his necklace that had a cross. 

"I'm going to hell," Hyukjae hears Donghae say in a phonecall to Chance.

***

Hyukjae tells Junsu and Hong Seok-Cheon. Junsu has a coughing fit at first, but Hong Seok-Cheon indulgently smiles and tells Hyukjae that he and Donghae could visit his restaurant whenever they need some privacy.

Donghae tells his friends from One Way. It irritates him that they're less surprised about it than he thought they would be. 

"Dude, you call him Hyukkie," Chance begins.

Peter continues, "And lately you've been looking at each other recently like you two are going to make out with each other on the spot."

YoungSky finishes, "Hey, you can get married in California now."

***

Donghae steals a quick kiss from Hyukjae after their win for "No Other" on Music Bank's July 9th show. Hyukjae blinks and then mutters, "What kind of kiss was that?"

Donghae isn't prepared for it when Hyukjae kisses him again, but much more deeply. They are in a private room of Seok Cheon's restaurant, and Donghae guesses this is reason enough for him to place his hands under Hyukjae's shirt. Donghae realizes he doesn't really give a about what Donghwa might think anymore; though Jessica was good, Hyukjae was infinitely better. 

"Not now." Hyukjae grins against Donghae's lips. "Isn't this a restaurant?"

Donghae pouts, because he knows his fans goes crazy for it. Hyukjae's seemingly immune to it, though, since he just frowns and tells Donghae he looks like an idiot. 

"Fine, one more kiss," Donghae mutters, pressing his lips to Hyukjae's once again. 

It's in that moment that the door opens. Donghae and Hyukjae completely ignore it, and don't stop kissing until they're satisfied (which takes a really long time). Then, they finally turn to the door, ready to complain to Seok-Cheon that they weren't scheduled to leave until at least another hour, so please go away again. But that would be kind of hard. As the door opener wasn't Seok-Cheon.

It was a furious and disgusted Leeteuk, standing in front of the rest of the shocked Super Junior members.