Chapter I: Food

What Went Down

"Your father has cancer."

The words hit Donghae like someone had hammered his heart with a wrench. "W-what?" Donghae asked, face pale.

***

"I'm really happy that you decided to do this." A man with tired, but kind, eyes smiled at the fourteen year old boy before him. "I know you would make me proud."

Donghae smiled back, but his smile is much shakier than the older's. "I know you'll get better, appa."

His father's smile falters for a bit, but he still manages to squeeze Donghae's hand very firmly. "I also know you'll get famous. You're hardworking, talented, and good-looking enough...as that last contest proved..."

"That was a fluke," Donghae protested.

HIs father laughs. "No need to be so modest. But even through all of that...please remember to continue doing things you love. You can still play soccer..."

"I will," Donghae said, smiling toothily, his past fears and doubts recently forgotten when his favorite sport comes up.

Another soft laugh. "I know...but most importantly, will you please promise to continue remembering me?"

***

Donghae was currently taking a train to Seoul. He just signed a contract with SM, but despite this tremendous achievement, he couldn't do anything to make himself feel any happiness right now. "We're doing everything we can to make your appa better," Dr. Lee had assured Donghae. "Honestly, I'm not sure if we can find a cure for him, but we can prolong his life for as long as possible. But it's not something you shouldn't worry about. Just focus on becoming the next singer I listen to, alright? And don't forget to give your appa a free CD!"

2001. Donghae had jointly won the Best Outward Appearance with a boy called Lee Sungmin in the third annual SM Youth Best Contest. Donghae had no clue how, as every girl he talked to at Seoul had giggled at him, but instead of coming closer, shied away when Donghae tried to make conversation. Donghwa said it must have been his Mokpo accent. "Teenage boys aren't supposed to sound like old men," Donghwa chided.

***

2001. Lee Hyukjae's second year as a trainee at SM. Hyukjae smiles to himself in satisfaction and strikes a pose in the bathroom mirror. "Lee Hyukjae," he says in a voice he thinks would belong pretty well with Shinhwa's members. "The #1 dancer, rapper, singer in Korea. Are you ready for him, people?"

"YAH!" Junsu yells from behind him. "You?! Singing?! Me peeing sounds better!"

Hyukjae totally ignores Junsu and tries his best to imagine (with the sudden sound of Junsu urinating, which is, annoyingly enough, surprisingly melodious) a stadium full of adoring fans. With wide-eyed, beautiful girls like the ones from S.E.S. Or his videos. 

Hyukjae grins like the total doofus he is just thinking about it.

Junsu finishes his business, sees Hyukjae's expression, and decides the best way to wipe what he thinks makes Hyukjae's face even uglier than it already is, is by hitting him on the shoulder with his unwashed hand.

Hyukjae complains that he doesn't know why Junsu and him are even friends, and Junsu retaliates by doing the best impersonation of Hyukjae's singing, which is certainly not one of the best voices SM has.

Hyukjae splashes water on Junsu and the two continue horseplaying like immature idiots until Junsu realizes something. ". Didn't dance lessons start five minutes ago?"

***

Dance lessons are Hyukjae's favorite part of the day. He's very good at it, and improving. The only one who Hyukjae thinks could compete with him is Junsu. And Yunho. But Yunho was prissy and a perfectionist in everything, so that didn't really count. The higher-ups and instructors at SM all love Yunho, and Hyukjae knows it's only a matter of time before Yunho debuts.

"You forgot one. Hyoyeon," Junsu reminds Hyukjae. The both of them are sitting outside, openly staring down passersby as they idly talk and drink water during their break.

"Shaddup," Hyukjae retorts.

Junsu chortles in response.

"..."

"Did you hear that they're splitting up the students in the dance lessons soon?" Junsu abruptly asks.

"Huh?"

"Beginner's, middle, advanced. Betcha my last Pepero box that Hyoyeon's going to be in advanced, and you'll be below her."

Hyukjae splutters. "That's only because Mr. Kim hates me. I swear he's got something against me since day one."

"I know what it is," Junsu says solemnly.

Hyukjae looks at him expectantly.

"Your face--BWA HA HA HA HA!" Junsu rolls over on the bench the pair were sitting on, and ends up kicking Hyukjae in the face.

"OW, YOU IDIOT, THAT WAS MY FACE!"

***

"We have a new student today," Mrs. Kang told the class in the most enthusiastic voice ever. "Why don't you introduce yourself!"

An awkward looking boy behind her smiled once at the class, and then barfed all over the just-scrubbed wooden floors.

"Ew," a girl called Jessica said to the left of Hyukjae.

The class still didn't know the boy's name as he was rushed outside of the class by the motherly acting teacher.

***

"Donghae."

"What?" Hyukjae said, not bothering to swallow his food as he showed Junsu the full view of his wide, open jaw.

"Ew, that's gross," a boy Hyukjae didn't know said, wrinkling his nose.

"I didn't ask you," Hyukjae said nastily. "By the way, who are you?"

The other boy puffed his chest in indignation. "Park Jungsu. And I'll like to let you know that I'm older than you, so you should address me with some respect?"

"Oh. Sorry, bro."

Jungsu glared at Hyukjae. "And your name is...?"

"Hyukjae," Junsu answered excitedly for him. "He was the friend I was telling you about. He was one of the members of SRD, a dance gorup we were in together during elementary school."

"SRD stands for Song, Rap, and Dance," Hyukjae elaborates, spewing some half-chewed kimchi out of his mouth on Jungsu in the process.

Jungsu thinks that Hyukjae is the most undignified person he had ever met, and estimates Hyukjae would leave SM in less than a year. He doesn't have what it takes to survive here, Jungsu thinks scornfully. "Oh, that's cool," Jungsu says, smiling politely. I should make an excuse to leave this abomination as soon as possible. "Well, I have to go now. I'm going to sit next to Donghae. He's new here."

"Alright. Be careful he doesn't throw up his lunch on you!" Junsu says cheerfully. "He threw up his breakfast in Mrs. Kang's class today."

Jungsu snorts. "No need to worry about that. I already have someone's lunch on me as it is."

Hyukjae blinks as innocently as he can, and Jungsu snorts one more time before sulkily stalking off to Donghae's table.