The Show-Down

What The Future Holds

One week before

 A 3-way call

Sunny and Tiffany decided to call Seulong up to discuss about their next NutClub gathering.  At the same time, they wanted to get Yoona out as well as the latter was not acting herself lately.

Sunny: Oppa, Yoona has been acting odd lately. 

Seulong: Really? What do you mean?

Tiffany: Yes, Oppa  She is not as cheery as before. Something must be bugging her.

Sunny: Ya, Oppa. Yoona is also pretty short-fused nowadays.  I think it has something to do with Taec oppa.

Tiffany: Ya..ya..like when Taec oppa started filming Dream High and became all chummy with Eunjung.  Yoona was not happy, I’ll even go so far as to say she might be jealous!

Sunny:  Yes!  And the other thing that also got to her although the rest of us know for a fact that it’s not true was the Jessica rumor with Taec oppa!

Seulong: Ya..I was shocked when that rumor first came out.  How ridiculous is that! We know you girls are tight, you stay loyal to each other.  That’s the last thing anyone of you would do, right?

Sunny & Tiffany: Of course!

Sunny: Ya oppa, but Yoona was still affected because she didn’t want any misunderstanding with our own members.

Tiffany: Because of Taec oppa, Yoona has to put up with all this.  I feel sorry for her.

Seulong: Do you guys think that Yoona likes Taec?  Is this why she’s acting up?

Sunny & Tiffany: Oppa, we are not sure ourselves.  We are guessing yes.  It’s hard to read Yoona, she keeps everything to herself.

Seulong: Let’s not guess then.  Let’s put this to a test, shall we?

The Present

Neon lights peppered the ceiling while thumping music blasted from the 2 BOSE speakers.  2 sets of plush sofas lay adjacent to each other as rows of pictures of Kpop idols adorned the walls.  The room can easily accommodate a party of 8 but it was the only one available that night for the 4 Nutclub members. 

As it was a relatively large room with minimal occupancy, it became chilly in no time.  Tiffany and Sunny huddled on one sofa to keep warm, while the boys sprawled out on the other.  Finally, the server came in for their orders.  Taec asked the rest “What are you guys having?”  Seulong suggested “Taec, let’s order a jug of beer to start off.”  Tiffany interjected “I don’t want beer!  I want a cocktail. Give me a Cranberry Vodka, Taec” Sunny chimed in “Oppa, I’ll have the same as Fany.”

After they settled their drinks, Seulong and Tiffany grabbled for the microphone.  Taec sat quietly and listened to their squabbles and banter, while Sunny seemed to be busy on the phone.  Seulong jokingly shouted “Tiffany-shi!  Let go!”  Tiffany countered  “Oppa, I want to sing first!”  Sunny looked up from her mobile and suggested “Why don’t you guys just sing a duet then?  Seulong agreed “Ok, settled!”

He went for the remote and started to key in the numbers to a song.  Tiffany asked “Oppa, what song did u choose?”  Seulong grinned and teased  “You’ll find out soon enough!”

As the familiar strains of “Nagging” filled the room, Taec’s mind drifted back to that one twitter comment he made some weeks back.  “I probably shouldn’t have done that. Shucks!” Taec reflected.

As Seulong and Tiffany crooned away, Sunny could be seen busy texting.  Some minutes later, an imposing figure overshadowed Sunny as she looked up, she saw Taec towering over her.  Taec asked “What’re you doing?  Why aren’t you singing?”  Sunny retorted “You’re not singing either!” Taec said jokingly “Almond and Cacao are up monopolizing the stage!” and flashed his pearly whites at her.

Sunny then said “Oh ok. I’m busy. I’ll sing later.”  A persistent Taec asked “Are you by any chance texting Yoona?  Sunny cheerfully replied “Ha! Ha! You caught me!. Yup, I’m still trying to get her to come.”  Thinking he could be of some use, he said: “Oh really?  Do you need my help?”  Sunny nearly choked on her drink and sputtered  “Oh no! not you! Ha! Ha!” Bemused, Taec asked “Why are you laughing?”  Sunny was not about to let the cat out of the bag yet so she said cheekily “Oh nothing. Just because..”

Sunny smiled wryly to herself thinking “You’re the last person Yoona wants help from!”

Sunny decided to give Yoona a call and went outside of the room to make her call.  Yoona answered “Yoboseyo?”  Sunny replied “Yoona, it’s Sunny unnie.  Can you please help bring over Fanny’s wallet for me?”  Perturbed, Yoona asked “Fanny unnie forgot her wallet? How about you, Unnie? Can you help Fany unnie pay first?”  Sunny patiently explained “We rushed out of the dorm just now because we were already late. I forgot mine as well.  Fanny already told the guys that she’ll be giving all of us a treat tonight to celebrate her recovery.  It’ll be so embarrassing for her now if she has to get the boys to pay AGAIN.  The boys are generous but still…”

Yoona thought it odd that the boys would quibble over money.  Nevertheless, she decided to help her Unnies get out of a bind but still she said “Hmm..this is real, right? You guys are not pulling a fast one on me, right?”  Sunny assured her “C’mon, Yoona..why should we do that?  Just come and drop off the wallet if that’s all you want to do.  Anyway, there is nothing going on between you and Taec oppa.  Why you are so scared of seeing him?

Yoona challenged “Ya! Who says I’m scared??  Unnie, I’ll be there!”

Taec glanced anxiously at the door, waiting for Sunny’s return.  With a satisfied grin on her face, Sunny waltzed back in the room, took her seat at the sofa and winked at both Seulong and Tiffany.  Taec saw the wink and immediately asked “Sunny, what’s up?  What did Yoona say?  Is she coming?  What’s that wink for?  Why are you guys grinning from ear to ear?”  A flabbergasted Sunny exclaimed “Woahh..hold up!  One question at a time.  1.  Yoona will be coming. 2. You don’t have to know why we’re grinning and 3.  Yoona will not be a happy camper when she’s here because I said stuff which riled her! Ha! Ha!”  Curiosity got the best of him and Taec asked “What did you say to her?”  Sunny gave him a playful shove on the shoulder and said “That, Taec oppa, you don’t have to know. Now, it’s my turn to sing!”.

Seulong quickly passed the microphone over to Sunny and began to discuss which song to input next.  Thinking Fany would let him in on their “secret’, he walked over and planted himself next to Tiffany.  He started conversing with her in English thinking that he will get a better explanation by doing so.   Taec asked “So, what’s going on?”  Tiffany feigned ignorance and asked “What?”  Taec whined “You guys are acting all weird!”

Tiffany comforted him “Are we?  We just want Yoona to join this party, that’s all.  Nothing to it…”  Tiffany then gave him her famous devilish eye smile.  Taec finally gave up and reclined back on the sofa, unsure of what to expect next.

Yoona put on her skintight jeans and feathery sweater over her slender frame as she gave herself another curt look in the mirror. Her ankle leather boots and oversized Gucci bag completed the look.  Finally, she reached for her bottle of Chanel but changed her mind and squirted a little Gucci instead for the finishing touch.  Now, she was set. “Ok, here goes nothing” as she left her dorm.

Amid the merrymaking of the Nutclub members, Taec has flawlessly polished off 2 jugs of beer all by himself.  Given his huge mass, inebriating copious amount of alcohol has always been one of Taec’s stronger suits.  On this night, however, Taec had started on an empty stomach which was not a good sign for seasoned drinkers.  Feeling a little light-headed, he left the room for some fresh air.  Outside, a blast of cold air hit his chiseled features as he opened up his arms to welcome it.  “Refreshing!” as he let out a soft sigh.  “Just how many glasses of beer did I have tonight?” he wondered at his slightly intoxicated state. 

There was a lamp post next to him and he thought “How convenient, I’m just going to lean on it for awhile”.  As he leaned over, he heard a distinct “mew!”  He had accidentally nudged a kitten which was resting at the foot of the lamp post.  “Oh, you poor thing..I’m sorry..I love cats..I’ll never hurt you, little thing” cooed Taec as he bent over to pick it up.

At that moment, he saw a pair of black ankle boots and traced his eyes back to their owner.  As his eyes took in Yoona’s slim, long legs that seemed to go on forever, his imagination ran amok.

With her silky hair tied up in a topknot, glossy lips and chic ensemble, Yoona was a picture of sophistication.  “She has certainly blossomed quite nicely” Taec thought absentmindedly.  He gave himself a mental slap before straightening up to his 6-foot frame and towering over Yoona.  He immediately gushed “Oh Yoona! You came!”  In turn, she gave him a whimsical look and asked “Oppa, what are you doing?”  He blurted out “Waiting for you!”  She looked at him, the kitten and then back at him again.  She admonished “looks more like you’re playing with the cat, Oppa!” 

Of late, Taec has been feeling like he was walking on eggshells to anticipate Yoona’s moods.  He said tentatively “Ya..I love cats. You should know that” and flashed his dimples at her.  She was not immune to his charms. Confounded by her own attraction, she retorted instead “That’s why we’re different.  I love dogs! Dog and cat people just do not mix!”

With that, Yoona stormed off leaving Taec thoroughly perplexed.  He fumed “What was that about?  Is she upset with me for some reason?  Always trying to pick a fight?!”

Upon spotting Yoona, Tiffany beckoned her to sit with them which Yoona did. Taec returned to the room to see Yoona sandwiched between her Unnies.  Both Unnies looked at the scowl on Taec’s face and the sullen expression on Yoona’s, and they knew something was up.  Tiffany quickly thanked Yoona for bringing her wallet and suggested a drink since the latter did come all the way to bring it.  Yoona willfully replied “Yeah Unnie..why not? Let’s drink!”  Sunny and Tiffany stared at each other and mouthed ”what’s up with her?  Out of concern, Sunny quickly asked Yoona “Did you have something to eat yet?  Are you able to drink now?” Yoona curtly replied ”Yes. I ate already.  So, who’s up for drinks?