A Smooth Beginning...Perhaps?

Love is You + Me...

He felt the world around him stopped moving and came crashing mercilessly onto him. His chest tightened painfully underneath, causing his breath to hitch.

Jaejoong slumped onto the chair while his eyes still transfixed on the motionless picture belongs to no other than Meisa’s housemate, TOP or most known as Choi Seunghyun. He has prepared himself for any possibilities (including Choi Seunghyun as her so-called friend) because he can feel it, deep down inside, that they were somehow...connected to each other.

Why else would the almighty Choi Seunghyun stepped down from his throne, live as a commoner if it’s not for his queen?

He was expecting it (kind of) but what he doesn’t expect is the effect it might have on him. It felt as if someone had stabbed him with a poisonous knife and the poison slowly crept up his body; his legs, his hands, his heart. Jaejoong wiped the cold sweat forming on his forehead and reached for the Post-It beside his computer.

He began arranging the pieces of newly found puzzles into place.

Meisa’s bag was snatched away from her, she was broke and penniless, then she happened to move in with the thief himself, too good to be true, right? Because it was never a coincidence to begin with. It was nothing more than a carefully elaborate plan. But what are the plan for? Winning the heart of Kuroki Shimabukuro’s daughter? Now that’s seriously weird and insane and twisted!

How is it possible for Meisa not to recognize the one she has been looking for? Unless...unless she didn’t know him, which means only one thing; they’ve never met before! So how on Earth did Seunghyun knew her?

Choi Seunghyun, what’s your game and why did it has to be Meisa?

A sudden realization made Jaejoong’s heart jumped frantically.

She. Didn’t. Know. Him.

She didn’t know TOP is actually Choi Seunghyun! That’s why she ‘google’d him, right?

Maybe he should keep it that way. She’ll find out sooner or later, that’s for sure, but what if he could delay ‘soon’? He could and of course, he wants to. It’s not like he’s keeping her from the truth forever (but maybe that’s not a bad idea either).

Ugghh, Jaejoong! No dirty tricks in two things: business and life. He growled in frustration.

His finger expertly clicked on the ‘shutdown’ button, and blackness wiped away Choi Seunghyun’s face from his screen monitor.

Just a little longer. That’s all I need.

Meisa came in, smiling from ear to ear and met Jaejoong halfway. His face was hard and dark, not the usual Jaejoong she knew.

What happen? She wondered.

“I’m sorry. That was my best friend, Maki. She said she’s coming over next week. Can you believe it? I’m so thrilled!!” Meisa squeaked.

Jaejoong nodded but he didn’t look anywhere near amuse.

“Good for you. I can’t wait to meet your friend, Meisa.” he said non-comically, stressing on the word ‘friend’.

“Jae, are you okay? If you’re mad at me for leaving you...”

“Let’s go home. Office gave me headache.”

“But I still have...” Meisa pointed towards the computer.

“Meisa, please.” he grabbed her arm. His voice was soft, pleading.

Her eyes buried into his, brown and cold. She could sense he was not in a good mood. 

Meisa put her hand over his and gave him her sweetest smile.

“Okay, let’s go home.” she said and relief washed over his face. He pulled her hand to the door but when Meisa didn’t budge from her place, he sighed and turned to face her.

“What?!”

“My bag.”

Jaejoong pinched her cheek lightly and went to get her bag from his table. He hesitated for a second when his eyes caught the sight of Meisa’s handwriting on the yellow Post-It.

Don’t do it, Jae. This is not you.

Ignoring his good conscience, he pushed the Post-It to his chair. After making sure Meisa didn’t notice anything, he grabbed her bag and rushed to her side.

“Anything else?” he asked, playfully.

“Not that I know.” she answered, scrunching her nose.

 “Can we go now because I’m beginning to think that you’re fonder of my computer than the owner of the computer himself?” Jaejoong gave her a mischievous grin.

The drive home was short and quiet. Jaejoong was grateful for the silence since his head was throbbing dreadfully from the truth he just discovered and the consequences of his previous action. Meisa, on the other hand, was busied planning her next move now that she had Choi Seunghyun’s address.

The truth is, this whole thing is not as simple as she imagined it would be.

She’s not sure why the weird obasan chose her as her son’s wife when there are still thousands of willing candidates out there, prettier, smarter and richer than her. She’s the kind of daughter any mother would be more than happy to disown.

She was incomplete and broken, both the outside and the inside. Everyone knows that, her parents to include.

Kuroki Shimabukuro’s problematic daughter.

 Kuroki Meisa, the ‘unsuited’ heir to the Kuroki’s empire.

Kuroki Meisa, the ing snotty princess.

Ah, same old, same old! That’s all she ever been to the world, to her parents, to the media. But have they ever stop and wonder, what tuned Kuroki Meisa into ‘that’ Kuroki Meisa? No, never, because they didn’t care.

Her life was wonderful, always. Her childhood was sweet and everything a little girl could dream of having. Beautiful dolls to play with, interesting books to read, a grandmother she could talk to, a mother and father she rarely sees and a line of housemaids she could order around.

10 years ago, Kuroki Meisa was a good girl. She always listened to her parents, always completed her homework, always the smartest girl in the class. But things started to change when her father stopped listening, when her mother stopped paying attention, when her grandmother passed away, when her sitter started beating her senselessly.

She was only 12, hurt and alone.

Where was everyone when she needed them?

Meisa pulled the coat she was wearing tighter, suddenly feeling cold, like she always do whenever she thought of her unfortunate past.

“Are you cold?” Jaejoong asked, reaching for a blanket from his backseat.

She smiled weakly as he handed her the blanket, which she carefully wrapped around her body as if the bruises and wound were still there

Two years; that’s how long she tried to talk to her parents, hoping they would save her from the monster, until she finally gave up and stopped trying. Meisa never stopped blaming her grandmother for leaving her. None of this would happen if she didn’t left her, alone, to fend for herself.

She was hit, locked in the bathroom for hours, left starving for the whole day, threatened with a knife, all these by no other than her own sitter. After the death of her grandmother, her parents were so occupied with works they didn’t have time to look after her themselves. So they decided to hire a sitter, a crazy sitter that is. But they were too busy keeping her away from them to care.

Meisa has to pay a dear price for their carelessness; five ‘precious’ stitches, two weeks on the hospital bed and a haunting memory of the sitter slitting her own throat. After a three-month session with her psychologist, she was sent to a boarding school and that moment, everything changed.

“We’re here. Do you want me to go upstairs with you?” she heard Jaejoong asked.

Meisa shook her head.

“No, you’ve done so much for me. I’ll be fine.”  she said softly, forcing a smile.

“Take care. I’ll call you tomorrow, okay?” Jaejoong tucked her hair behind her ear, his eyes never leaving her face.

The moment last for two seconds before Meisa leaned forward and kissed his cheek.

“Thanks, for everything.” she got out of the car and waved.

“Hurry up, it’s cold. I’ll wait here a little longer or at least until I’m sure you’re safe.”

**********

Meisa was sitting at the kitchen counter, eating her cereal when suddenly Seunghyun walked in, looking all serious and smart in his white shirt, slack and ...

Is that a bow? She frowned.

There were dark circles around his eyes and he looked completely worn out.

Uh oh someone was having a hard day. Grumps, grumps.

 “Let’s go. You’re coming with me today.” he said, pulling her from the chair. His hold on her was firm but not enough to hurt her.

“What the...Are you crazy?” Meisa struggled to free herself from his grasp.

Seunghyun dragged her to the living room, ignoring her useless attempt to break free.

Oh God, please, please, let it works this time. He prayed silently.

“Where are you taking me?!” she yelled, throwing the spoon she was holding at him. 

“Would you please stop throwing things at me?!” Seunghyun yelled back, after the spoon barely missed his head by a mere centimetre. He loosened his grip on her hand, returning her knife-sharp gaze equally. Meisa didn’t either back away or pull her hand from his, instead she lifted her head so that she could stare straight into his eyes.

Seunghyun felt his heart performed three complete somersaults, nervous by their distance. 

A few seconds passed in silence until he took a step forward and bent his body to her level.

“We’re going to work, missy.” he finally said.

Meisa mouth turned into an ‘O’ shape before it curved into a smile which later erupted into mocking laughter.

“You want me to steal people’s bag with you? Have you lost your mind?” she asked.

Seunghyun shook his head, the edge of his mouth twitched.

“No, you’re not going to steal anyone’s bag, You’re too slow for that kind of job.” he said, deadpan.

“But fortunately for you, I’ve found a job that suited you perfectly.” a smirk formed on his lips and she didn’t like it a bit. Suddenly Meisa felt like she was in a storybook she used to read back when she was a child.

The only thing missing here is a red cloak.

“ Hoho no way! Me, working? You got to be kidding, right?” Meisa scoffed, finally pulling her hand away from his in one rough pull.

Kuroki Meisa, working? Ughh he got to be kidding!

However, the seriousness in his eyes told her otherwise.

“Damn it, no. There’s no way I would go out there and slave myself for some hedonistic jerk. Thanks for the kindness but I prefer staying home.” she turned, ready to leave when he snatched her hand and pulled her to face him.

 “Oh I’m sorry sweetheart, I can’t let you do that. You see, the problem here is, I don’t have enough money to support both of us. You’re welcome to live here because you’ve paid half of the rent but you’re not welcome to finish my food. Huh you eat like a freaking horse!”

“I did NOT eat like a freaking horse!!” she retaliated.

Seunghyun shrugged, nonchalantly. He walked towards the door, dragging her along with him.

“Whatever. The point is, you’re a freeloader, a sponger. We’re changing it now, honey. If you want to eat, you’ll gonna have to work.”

“You stole my bag, remember? So, you technically owe me.” panic was building up inside her. Meisa struggled violently before she felt her feet were lifted off the ground and a familiar hand was secured around her waist.

“Haha that’s brilliant. Let’s go.” Seunghyun opened the door and hoisted her up his shoulder in a fireman-carry.

“No!!!”  

**********

“Yes.”

 “I can’t hear you, Miss Kuroki.”

“Yes, Bonghwa-shii.” Meisa rolled her eyes, looking undeniably annoyed and irritated with the shorter man.

“Good, that’s the spirit! You’ll be washing dirty dishes until you’ve improved your Korean and oh please, wear shoes next time you come to work, okay?” he pointed to her bare feet.

Seunghyun on the left side of her let out a chuckle, which irritated Meisa even more.

It was his fault to begin with!

“Okay, okay, enough with the chit chatting. Time is money, Miss Kuroki. You can change into your uniform and start working now. Sanghee will act as your guide today. So, if you have any question, please don’t hesitate to ask her. And one more thing, try not to break anything or I’ll have to deduct your pay.” he gave her a lopsided grin.

“Now, now, TOP-shii, can you please come to my office for a moment.” he put his hand on Seunghyun’s shoulder, leading him to the door.

Bonghwa was clearly fond of him it seems and Meisa wondered why. How long has he worked here anyway?

“Jackass.” Meisa muttered.

“He’s cool, huh?” a voice asked.

“Who?” Meisa raised her eyebrows.

“TOP-shii. Too bad he’s not really into girls. I’m Sanghee by the way.” she extended a hand toward Meisa.

Wow, she looks young! How old is she, 16? Is that even legal? And since when the almighty TOP ‘is not into girls’?

She was wearing the same white shirt as TOP was wearing along with that annoying little bow. Her above-knee skirt was too revealing for a waiter and her hair was tied into a ponytail.

Meisa shook her hand briefly.

“You just said that to keep me away from him, right?”

Sanghee’s face turned red, confirming Meisa’s suspicion.

“My, my your Korean is bad. Chup chup hurry up and change. We don’t have all day.” she shooed Meisa into the changing room.

**********

“Honto ni muri su!” Meisa screamed in frustration as she watched the ‘carcasses’ of the plate on the floor.

She can’t do this anymore, ughhh!

“Kuroki Meisa that was your fifth plate in the span of an hour. Are you trying to drive me bankrupt?” Bonghwa entered the kitchen area. His face was flushed with anger, making him looked like a tomato. He took out a handkerchief from his chest pocket and wiped the sweat glistening on his large forehead.

Seunghyun walked into the kitchen a minute after with raise eyebrows. His eyes were glued to the broken plate on the floor, amused.

‘Congratulations. Apologize.’. He mouthed, tilted his head in Bonghwa’s direction.

 The woman hissed in return, gritting her teeth.

“Gomenasai.” Meisa bowed reluctantly.

“Uh don’t ‘gomenasai’ me. I’m deducting 50% of your pay for this and you’re cleaning the whole restaurant tonight.”

“Eh nande?” she protested.

“Because you have to pay for the loss you’ve caused me and because I said so.” Bonghwa answered, arrogantly.

 “Chotto matte, aho!” she lunged towards him but Seunghyun caught her arm, blocking her from taking another step forward.

“Calm down, Meisa.” he whispered and surprisingly, it did calm her down. Seunghyun her hair gently before turning to face the unsatisfied-looking Bonghwa.

 “What did she said?” Bonghwa asked, eyeing Meisa warily.

“Betsu ni. Err I mean, nothing.” Seunghyun said.

“Can somebody please teach her our language? Her Japanese is starting to get on my nerves. And please, clean up this mess. Sanghee, I want you to give her something else to do and make sure it’s something that can withstand her destructive hands.”

Sanghee muttered something and knelt down to clean up the mess she just made.

“Are you okay?” Seunghyun asked once Bonghwa left to inspect his other employees.

Meisa nodded with her head down, staring at her two-inches-bigger shoes. A drop of tear fell onto her shoe and it soon turned into a soft sobs.

“Of course I’m not okay. What kind of question is that?” she scolded.

Seunghyun let out a small chuckle and pulled her to him. He was expecting her to resist and slaps him but surprisingly, she didn’t. Instead, she cried harder, drowning his white shirt with her tears.  

He patted her shoulder lovingly, savouring the moment for as long as he could.

They were so close to each other but somehow it seems like they’re thousand miles apart. She was looking for him, and here he was, holding her, comforting her. If only she knew how he felt about her. If only he could tell her everything.

But of course, he can’t because he doesn’t want to be just another guy to her.

“I wanna go home.” she sobbed.

I know, sweetheart and I’m sorry. It will all be over soon. Trust me. He thought.


Yeeeshh succeed in updating the story~
Hope everyone enjoys the update as much as I enjoy writing it.
As usual, pardon my grammar mistakes.
What do you guys think? Boring? Lame?
Anything, just let me know!

~commentsANDsubscriptions are loved~