Coming Back

A Car Crash

 

"Who are you?" Oh Ha Ni asked as everybody froze. The room was silent, until Min Ah broke it to a question.

"Come on. Stop joking. You can remember everybody, right?"

"Of course."

"And us, too?"

"Yes."

"You even remember Mother, Father and Eun Jo." Joo Ri said. Ha Ni nodded.

"And you don't remember Seung Jo."

"Is Seung Jo that person who's by the door?" She asked. They nodded.


"I never even guessed that Ha Ni would forget Seung Jo, not anybody else. I thought that she will forget something or someone which is not close to Ha Ni. It could have been better if she forgot me instead..." Mother sighed as she slumped down to a seat. All the people had gathered in a room attached to Ha Ni's bed. They all had a grim face. True to Mother's words, no one guessed that she would forget Seung Jo. He was Ha Ni's life. Ha Ni wouldn't live without Seung Jo. And now, she doesn't even know who he is.


Ha Ni was sitting down, still on the bed, looking at the window. By her side, there were presents from her friends to be well. And of course, there were flowers from Seung Jo, but it was hid by the roses given by Bong Joon Gu. She didn't mind that, since she couldn't even remember who Baek Seung Jo was, even though Mother and Eun Jo tried to get her to remember who Seung Jo was and how it affected in her life back then. It seemed that neither all the memories of her with Baek Seung Jo nor the way she was looking aimlessly at Seung Jo was gone. So, no matter how hard those two tried, she couldn't remember him.


"You're telling me to go with you guys to see Ha Ni again? I don't wish to. Anyway, I've got a book to finish." Seung Jo said coldly. It was afternoon, and all Seung Jo's courses were finished. He was on his way to home, where he could relax, when Joo Ri and Min Ah came to him.

"Yes. It might make an influence of her remembering you more. You can read your book there. Come on. Even though she had forgotten you, she likes people to visit her often." Joo Ri said. True to her words, it could be an influence, but they didn't exactly know if it was bad or good. Studying for medical studies, Seung Jo knew that very well. In truth, not considering the influences, he wanted to go to the hospital all the time. If it was allowed, he wanted to stay with her for the whole day until he was tired out. This whole thing felt like as if it was all his fault and Ha Ni not remembering him was like a punishment for letting it happen.


He arrived at the house, holding back the regret that he didn't follow Joo Ri & Min Ah to the hospital. The house had gotten quiet after Ha Ni was in the hospital. Father was at the company, Mother was at the hospital talking to Ha Ni all day and Eun Jo had school, which he went to the hospital straight after. So no one was home except for Seung Jo. He was alone. He dropped his bag down and started to read a book which Ha Ni had drawn lines on then, studying for writing skills. He laughed at all the notes she had made next to the highlighted words. Then he realised that he was starting to miss the racket Ha Ni used to make. All the fuss she and Mother trying to make Seung Jo's heart turn around to Ha Ni. He missed everything Ha Ni. Now the fuss maker would not make any fuss. At least, at his house. Seung Jo slowly closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep, thinking about how she was when she was all happy and optimistic in front of him, smiling at him.


"Hyung! Hyung! Wake up! We're home!" Eun Jo cried. Seung Jo opened his eyes and saw Ha Ni in the house. She seemed so well. Almost the same as before she had forgotten Seung Jo. Without remembering she had forgotten about him, he stood up and shouted her name.

"Oh Ha Ni!" Everybody stared at him. Oops. It seemed like there were more people here. Joo Ri, Min Ah and Joon Gu were here as well, holding her belongings, their eyes wide with surprise. Everybody froze for a second.

"Anyway, how have you been?" Mother asked. "We had an agreement with the doctor that Ha Ni is allowed to come back here as long as we don't get her to remember too much things."

"Okay, then. Can I see you for a second, Mother?" Seung Jo went to the study and mother closed the door.

"What is it...? I know what you're thinking. The doctor knows which part of Ha Ni's memories was erased and he said it's the best for you to stay away from her as possible. For a few while, it'll be the best if you use this study as your room for now. And try not to get across her. I know this will..."

"'This will be hard for me'? Yes, I understand that it will be hard not to go across her. But I won't get in the way. Everything will go normal… Actually, even better. Now she won't bother me since she doesn't like me anymore."

"Baek Seung Jo! How dare" The door opened and Min Ah came in.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but can Ha Ni come to our house and sleep?"

Mother nodded. Perhaps she thought that it would be better for now to keep some distance. The three came out of the study to join with the others. Seung Jo came out last and realised Ha Ni was looking at him with a painful look. She seemed like she was unhappy with him.

"What? Are you surprised that I live here?" He went closer to her and stopped about 30cm from her. "Well, of course I…" Ha Ni collapsed in Seung Jo's shoulder, her body all hot.

_____________________________________________________________________________
 
Has she remembered something looking a Baek Seung Jo?