Chapter 9

Who am I?

 

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN’T TELL ME IF HE IS OR ISN’T A TRAINEE HERE??” My voice echoed through the building. We had reached the first company, a place called JYP Entertainment. I’ve heard that there were a few good groups that came from the company, so I decided to try my luck here first. But it wasn’t really going the way I planned it. “This is a joke! I’m not asking about a celebrity, I’m talking about a trainee! Do I even look like a God damn reporter? I just need to know if this person is here or not!” I was trying to lower my voice as Yoojin grabbed my hand and the security was eyeing us both with quite the suspicious look.

“I’m sorry, miss, but it’s our company’s policy not to disclose any of the information about our trainees.” She replied with the straightest face ever, which ticked me off even more. It’s like she was a creepy robot just programmed to say it.

“But I already know this person. I just need to know if he’s here or not.” I tried explaining without mentioning anything about the fact he was my brother. Really, people would not understand why I couldn’t just call him and I was not even thinking about telling my whole life’s story to someone as emotionless as this woman.

“Then give him a call and ask, but I’m sorry I can’t help you.” She replied quite coldly and sharply and just returned to her computer work.

“WHY YOU LITTLE-!” Oppa managed to cover my mouth just in time. Even if I had started speaking in English, I was sure everyone here would understand if I used any rude language towards them. Yoojin started dragging me away seeing that the security as getting closer and closer.

“THAT LITTLE GOD DAMN LIFELESS B****!!” I was still going on about the unsuccessful try five minutes later on our way to the second company. “Would a freaking peace of her fall off if she had only said ‘yes’ or ‘no’. Seriously, people these days.” I was rumbling on and on about it. I could not understand what harm could have come from just either giving a quick nod or a shake of head. Seriously, I definitely did not look like a serial killer, or a reporter, or a stalker. And this was only a trainee I was asking for and not his address or anything, just a simple ‘yes, he’s with this company’ or ‘no, he’s not’. Oppa was holding onto my hand tightly, making sure I don’t get lost in the big pool of people who were enjoying their Sunday off. I was still too winded up to admire the building or shops around me or even pay attention to anyone much. But suddenly I ran into someone quite hardly and as I looked up it was just oppa who had suddenly stopped.

“Ah, oppa, did I not tell you to not stop like that suddenly!” I moaned at him and he just pinched my cheeks. “OOOWWW!” I cried out and tried getting his hands off.

“And I told you to watch where you’re going countless times.” He let go of my cheeks and while I was trying to get the pain away, he led me to a small ice-cream stand to order us both a small snack. Instantly my eyes got glued to the ice-cream and I was eating it all up with my gaze. If there was one dessert I will never, ever for the rest of my life be able to resist, it was ice-cream. I should really get worried about how well oppa knew me. I might need to kill him in the future if I become anyone important.

Completely forgetting what had happened in the first company, I happily continued my way now with the hugest apple and mango ice-cream in my hand and I actually managed to look around a bit and try to remember any of the streets, although it was a great challenge.

“Shall we just take our time and maybe stop by a few shops?” Oppa suddenly suggested, looking straight at me. I looked at the shops sprawled around us and didn’t have to think twice. Shopping? Yes, please. I nodded and he gave me a bright smile in return. Immediately he grabbed my hand and led me into the closes clothes shop available.

I didn’t realize how much time was passing, but we had plenty of fun trying on clothes, shoes, accessories, just window shopping at times. It was great. Before I knew it, I had five big bags in my hands with new clothes, hats and shoes in them, some accessories and make-up as well and oppa had at least ten in his, but I was sure some of them were mine as well. As I looked at my watch I gasped in surprise.

“Oppa! Look at the time! We need to hurry up now before they close!” I did not want to drag this on for too long. There were two more big companies to visit, SM and YG Entertainments, both held quite ridiculous names along with the first one in my opinion, and then there were a couple I found were not as big, but still were a possibility. He reassured me that these sorts of companies stay open until very late and that Korea was not like England where everything closed early and the only places open at night were pubs and clubs.

However, to my annoyance both other big companies said similar things to me as the first ones, but after a bit of longer pleading, the receptionists gave me a little smile and just shook their heads, signalling that there were not any trainees by the name of ‘Lee Howon’ in their company. I bowed to them thankfully and let out a big sigh as I got out from the second one, YG.

“Really, this is ridiculous. Knowing oppa, he’s good enough to be in one of these companies. They must not be that good.” I mumbled on with sorrow in my voice as we sat down for a bit to rest my legs. Knowing how much I dislike travelling on the tube from yesterday, oppa had decided to lead the way either by walking or the bus.

“Chin up, Yura. It’s not over yet. You said there’s two more companies we can check and they’re smaller right? I’m not surprised the big trio didn’t want to disclose anything about their trainees. They are very strict.” Yoojin oppa tried cheering me up and I just quietly nodded. He did know more about the companies after all, he grew up with the singers and actors coming from the companies. It was me who was completely clueless about any of the current idol singers in Korea. I didn’t listen to Korean music, just the few songs that played in our restaurant or the ones my friends had made me listen to.

“Alright. So off to…”, I had to check my little notebook for the name, “Cube entertainment it is then.” We once again set off on our way to one of the last destinations.