Chapter 8

Shindong's House of Mental Illnesses

“Wow!” Sunny exclaimed to herself as she walked back to her apartment. She was so angry that she didn’t even stop to shudder at the extremely creepy picture of Little Bo Peep that had been painted on the wall. “I can’t believe the nerve of that guy! And to think he’ll be working with me from now on? Well, at least I’ve got Shindong, I’ll bet Shindong hates him just as much as I do.”

Just before she unlocked her door, Sunny stopped, sniffed the air, and frowned to herself. “It smells… like something’s burning. Is it coming from the apartment? I didn’t leave anything on, I barely even cook anything.”

Sunny walked into the room, and had to physically cover to stop herself from screaming in shock. Someone, she didn’t know who, was in her apartment, standing over her stove. And she was sure he was holding a knife.

Sunny slowly backed out of the room, slammed the door shut and ran as fast as she could, which was actually pretty fast, despite her short stature, right into Myungsoo. Myungsoo was had just walked into the asylum doors, and was startled by the doll-like girl who had a terrified look in her eyes, yet still had a calm composure.

“What’s going on?” he asked. After catching her breath (she really did run quite fast, a madman in your apartment with a knife will do that to you) she explained the situation. No one in the world had quite felt as worried as Myungsoo did for Sunny at that moment. He was overcome with a strange feeling as he raced to tell Shindong while Sunny called the police on her cell phone. He felt protective, and it freaked him out, as he hadn’t felt this way with anyone, not even his family.

Shindong reacted professionally, if you didn’t include the small, girlish screams that occasionally slipped out of his lips on the way to Sunny’s apartment room. He and Myungsoo opened the door, and the lights to try and catch the intruder by surprise. It worked, but it had a horrible aftermath. The sudden change in brightness shocked the intruder so much, that he spun around, which caused the knife to slash Shindong’s stomach. Myungsoo tackled the creeper, despite the knife, which was actually kind of stupid if you ask me and successfully managed to bring down the weird little man that had gotten into Sunny’s apartment.

The police arrived soon after that, bringing with them the ambulance, taking Shindong away to the hospital, where he would remain for several days until his wound fully healed. It was up to Sunny and Myungsoo to work at the asylum and take care of all the patients. Sunny’s home intruder was identified as a known kidnapper who was probably staking Sunny, and planning to kill her as well. Sunny reacted well to this news, and had a calm demeanor, as did Myungsoo, who was actually known for his coldness in the face of… well, anything.

Later in Myungsoo’s apartment, (he also lived at the asylum, right next to Sunny in fact. Awkward…) he and Sunny organized what they needed to do. Sunny would take care of the office work, and some of the patients, and Myungsoo would do the remainder of the patients and all the cleanup work.

“Hey, wait a second,” Myungsoo said. “How come I get cleanup work? Do you know how much time and effort is needed for that?”

“Well, at least, you don’t get office work. I don’t even know how Shindong oppa did that; it will give you the largest headache known to man after only 3 hours of it. I get 5 hours to do each day, so don’t complain,” Sunny retorted sarcastically.

 After that, Myungsoo was quiet for a while, only making noises when he wanted to take a sip of the hot tea Sunny had so grudgingly made for him. It was evening time, almost time to go to bed after a quick check on all the patients. Sunny yawned, rubbing her eyes sleepily with one hand and stretching with her other arm. She had stolen, or “borrowed” one of Myungsoo’s giant sweaters to sleep in. It was one from his high school years, and seeing her wearing it reminded him of all the fun times he and Sungmin had had together. He smiled, and laughed to himself as he remembered a time when he and Sungmin had stripped down entirely, and jumped in a local pond on a dare. In the end, a group of girls had stolen the clothes they had placed for them to wear afterwards, and they were forced to reveal very embarrassing secrets before they got them back.

“We should really be doing the Night Check now, shouldn’t we?” asked Sunny as she stifled yet another yawn.

“We should, but you look tired. You should stay, I’ll go myself,” replied Myungsoo with a concerned look on his face. Honestly, he was worrying himself. He had never cared for a single thing on this earth before,  well, not as much as this.

Sunny shook her head no, and pitifully asked, “Can’t I go with you? I’d be scared if I had to stay here by myself.” She didn’t want to admit that, but she had a hunch that if she didn’t say something along those lines she would never get to go with Myungsoo. The truth was, she just wanted to see Kyuhyun again. But Myungsoo, must not, under any circumstances, know that she was slowly, but surely, falling for a patient at a mental illness hospital. It was turning into an obsession, and she was scared.

Surprised that Sunny would admit such a thing, Myungsoo agreed they go together. They walked down the hallway of the first floor in complete silence, awkwardly thinking different things. Sunny wondered how Kyuhyun would respond to Myungsoo being there, while the said latter thought about holding Sunny’s hand and how she would react. Finally deciding to just go for it, Myungsoo’s hand shot out and grabbed Sunny’s. When there was no response to his hand-grabbing, Myungsoo silently celebrated his being able to get over the first hurdle. The truth was, Sunny was so immersed in thinking about her little love problem that she hadn’t even noticed Myungsoo at all, much less their holding hands.

After checking up on the majority of the patients, Sunny was about to walk into the “forbidden” part of the asylum, the part of the hospital that housed the dangerous patients. Usually, most of the patients were taken care of by Shindong, but now that he was gone Sunny and Myungsoo would have the responsibility of caring for these inmates. But because of the extremeness of the danger with these patients, they would actually have to do it together, not one by one like Sunny would have liked. She wanted alone time with Kyuhyun.

Sunny and Myungsoo walked in, still holding hands. As they walked into Kyuhyun’s heavily secured room, they heard a shout of joy, then silence. A scream pierced the air.

 

I'm a little upset because there were only like, two comments after i posted one of my longest chapters yet. And this chapter is even longer and NO ONE commented so far. I really helps if you comment, even if it's just a simple update soon kind of thing. So... yeah, and happy Valentines Day!