Chapter 10

Shindong's House of Mental Illnesses

“What do you mean I’ve changed?” Sunny asked, confused. They had only met a few days ago, exactly how well did he know her to size her up and judge her like that? He did look a bit familiar. She would have to do some researching.

“It’s nothing,” Myungsoo stuttered. She couldn’t find out yet. She had to still believe that he was just a friend of her brother’s that had been introduced to her on a blind date and was now her co-worker. She couldn’t find out that he was her childhood friend. Her best friend. And she forgot all about him. Maybe it was better if she did know.

“Well, actually,” he started, and then thought better of it. “Actually, I just thought since you’re not wearing any makeup right now, you look really ugly.”

That was a lie. A bad one. She looked beautiful even bare-faced.

He walked off into the bathroom, and then splashed cold water on his face. What was going on with him?

Everything wasn’t working the way he thought it would. He was supposed to come in, and Sunny was supposed to fall in love with him right away, then he was going to reveal his true identity at a super big party, and Sunny would hug and maybe kiss him, all the while proclaiming to the world how amazing he was. It wasn’t going to work the way he wanted it to.

First off, there was the idiotic insane kid. He would have to be dealt with. Sunny would come to her senses. But there was also the fact that she was a nun. Well, a nun-in-training. But still! Thank goodness nothing had been finalized. He still had a admittedly small, window of opening.

After he washed up, he saw Sunny sitting at his computer, looking quite shocked. She spun around once she heard his footsteps, and slammed the computer screen down so that he couldn’t see what she had been looking up.

Myungsoo smiled. “What? Looking up inappropriate videos?”

Sunny blushed, and then defiantly denied his accusation. “No, I wasn’t doing that. I’m sure you do it enough for the both of us. But… what was your name again? Your full name, I mean.”

“Myungsoo. Kim Myungsoo, that is. Why?”

Sunny turned pale, a contrast to her previously rosy colour. “Were you in my Kindergarten class?” she asked, praying that the answer would be no. Her prayers were denied.

“How did you know?” Myungsoo asked, shocked.

“I looked it up. The Internet’s a pretty magical place you know,” Sunny replied sarcastically. She frowned, lines in her face not hindering her obvious beauty. She wondered if he kept it from her because he didn’t want to remember. If that was true, well. Then that was ridiculous.

“We were best friends. Doesn’t that mean we can still be like that?” he demanded, a curious amount of innocence in his eyes. No, not innocence, it was more like naivety. Like he was unwilling to believe the truth.

Sunny sighed. That was to be expected. She wasn’t the most patient person. “You’re right. We were close once. But if you can remember that well, how about you tell me why we stopped being friends? Because you yelled at me and said you didn’t want to play with a girl anymore. And you ran off with my brother. Besides, that was kindergarten. Things have changed since then.”

And with that, Sunny strode off, going to find some blankets that would make the cold winter air bearable enough to sleep in.

Myungsoo flopped onto the couch, stunned. This wasn’t supposed to happen. What was going on? Sunny was supposed to… love him.

“But Myungsoo,” he told himself, “you know better than anyone that people cannot be relied on just like that. People do not go according to plan.”

But still. It hurt.

He chased after her, catching her just in time to see that she had stolen his bed, and like any good cat, was already claiming it as her own. Now he was the one sighing and with little patience.

“Get off. It’s cold, so we’ll both sleep in the living room,” he muttered, suddenly tired of everything.

Sunny nodded. That was fair. If they laid out blankets and got close to each other so that body heat would be generated and magnified, it wouldn’t be a bad arrangement at all. But that didn’t mean she couldn’t a little.

“Oh my Myungsoo, just one revelation about being past friends and you already want to sleep in the same room as a girl? I didn’t know you were like that. I guess you have changed,” Sunny commented dryly.

He didn’t have the time or energy for this.

“Shut up and just help me do this. Or if you want, you can do none of the work and have none of the warmth I’m going to have in the living room,” he snarled.

Sunny grimaced at his ugly words, then looked down. But not before Myungsoo caught the hurt look in her eyes, similar to that of a broken puppy. It was more than enough to tug at his heartstrings and pour guilt onto his soul. He felt all of it.

They dragged out everything they could use to keep warm, and after a while, they had created a suitable sleeping arrangement for a couple nights. It involved plenty of blankets.

They went to bed without a word after Sunny and Myungsoo got themselves cleaned up, and lay awake, both of them, without talking. Well, until Myungsoo made the first move.

“I’m sorry.”

 

 

 

Ooh, what do you think Sunny’s response is going to be? Comment, subscribe, and upvote please. I know that’s a lot to ask, but trust me, it helps so much when you do that. By the way, I’m going to fix a lot of my stories, so if you notice anything wrong, don’t worry.