Chapter 1

Shindong's House of Mental Illnesses

"No! You can't leave me here! I don't want to stay! This was supposed to be just a visit!" The screams and shrieks can be heard from the gate. I shuddered as I comtemplated what was inside of these concrete walls. My contemplations were not good. Not good at all. All the horror movies I enjoyed watching seemed to pale in comparison to my life as I read the gloomy lettering engraved on the gates. "ShinDong's House of Mental Illnesses." I read out loud, but quiet enought that it wouldn't be overheard.

Back when this town was a thriving little community, this place was always the bad side of town, the black sheep of the otherwise cheerful place. Mothers would drag their children away from this place when they strayed too close. Not that they did, it was almost like the walls were sprayed with some kind of people repellent. Now, no one is around, so the screams can't be heard by anyone, no one that mattered anymore, that is.

Why am I here? I'm wondering the same thing. Ever since I was young, I've had a dream, an aspiration, to be... a nun. Yes, laugh if you will, but I seriously believe that is my calling. All I need to do is stay here until they remove me, and then I'll get my ceremony and the mumbo jumbo crap. i just want to do what's right for me. And God, of course.

I pushed on the gate, and despite groans and creaks, it moved fairly easily. I stepped into the interior, and the screams grew louder than ever. I ran into the building, and tripped over my suitcase.

"Owww, that hurt." As I got to my knees and brushed off the dirt on my face, a hand reached out to help me up. I readily grabbed it, and met a smiling face. This man was extremely cheerful.

"Hello~ I'm ShinDong, the president/curator/janitor/guidance couselor... There's more, but I can't remember. Let's say that I do everything around here. Which is why I'm so happy you came!" He pumped my hand vigorously, and after he stopped, I had to adjust my hair and clothes. He was quite strong.

"So, does that mean no one else came for the job here? Well, I volunteered, but you know what I mean." I said as I picked up my bags.

"No, they all quit." Uh oh. What am I in for? I followed him into the enormous building.