In love again

|| o n e s h o t s c o l l e c t i o n s ||

 

"Mr. Kim, I'm afraid I can't answer your question…"

              "It's okay..." Kibum mumbled more to himself than answering the doctor.

              He walked back into the ward, dropping himself onto the couch as his lethargic body decided to stop moving. He was exhausted, hungry and tired. He let a tear drop escaped from his eye as he shielded himself with the cushions.

              He wanted to escape from the reality.

              He wanted to shield himself from the hurting truth.

              The hurting truth was that his wife, Lee min, lost her memory.

              No, she didn't lose all. She just forgot that she's married to him.

              And that's the hurting part, because Kim Kibum was the only person that Lee min forgot.

              Kibum buried his head in his hands as he curled up on the couch, bringing his legs up to his stomach and hug them tightly.

 

 

"Min!" Kibum rushed into Min's ward and fall onto his knees beside her bed as he took in the fragile appearance of his wife, the bandage around her head and the scratches on her beautiful face.

              He frowned for a while before collecting Min in a hug but he didn't expect that she would push him away harshly.

              "Who are you?" Her brows knitted together as she looked at Kibum in fear.

              Kibum broke into a laugh, "stop playing with me Min." He smiled but realized that Min wasn't reacting.

              "Key hyung," Kibum turned back despite knowing that the only one who will call him Key hyung was Min's little brother, Taemin.

              "Taemin! Who is he?" Min reached out her hands asking for Taemin. As Taemin walked over to Min, she tugged onto his arm like a little girl.

              She's afraid of Key and is asking Taemin as a shield.

              "Wha—"

              "Key hyung, Noona…lost her memory…" Taemin stuttered and gently patted Min's back with his other free hand.

              "Los-" Kibum hung his jaw opened and then pointed at Taemin, "she remembered you!"

              "Not only me Key hyung, she remembered everyone." Taemin blinked and lowered his head to glance at his Noona, "except you." He murmured.

 

 

Kibum and Min were already married for three months; they were a loving couple that everyone envies. Both of them met each other in High school and they've gone through almost everything before realizing that they were made for each other.

              But karma decided to knock on their door of happiness.

              Min was involved in a car accident. Her car was crashed by a speeding Ferrari and she hit her head on the steering wheel causing her serious head injury. The moment she woke up, she knows everyone but Kibum, her husband.

              Kibum was feeling miserable. He doesn't know what to do when the love of his life, can't remember him. He wanted to find the driver of the Ferrari for revenge but later found out that the driver died on the spot.

              He has got no one to vent anger on.

              Even though he went to the doctor and wanted to verify with him how come she doesn't remember him, the doctor had no idea either.

              "Kibum…" His head flew up and met the eyes of another guy. "Minho..." Kibum mumbled before putting his legs down.

              "I'm sorry." Minho sat down beside him on the couch, feeling terrible that he can't do anything to help his best friends.

              Yes, his best friends. Both Min and Kibum were his best friends in High school. He witnessed how Kibum always blushed whenever Min looked at him. He witnessed how Min always tries to catch a glimpse of Kibum before Kibum left the classroom. He witnessed how both of them became from friends to lovers. He witnessed how they exchanged rings in their wedding ceremony. He witnessed how much they love each other.

              …And now? He witnessed how Min simply forgets Kibum and the love and memories that they shared.

              "What does sorry help?" Kibum sighed and glanced up to see the sleeping figure on the bed. The bandage around Min's head had been reduced to a plaster and she looked better than when Kibum first saw her after the accident.

              "She had forgotten about me." He whispered, feeling the shattering of his heart inside his ribcage. "She...—" Kibum exhaled and stared at his wedding ring – the ring that sealed their love, the ring that proves that both of them belonged as one.

              "—remembered everyone but me…" He completed his sentence, feeling half-dead. Minho sighed as he could only pat on Kibum's back, giving him moral support.

 

 

Kibum walked over to the bed and sat on the seat beside it cautiously.

              "You said you're Kim Kibum?" Min asked, hugging onto the pillow making it a shield between herself and Kibum.

              "Umm," Kibum smiled and tried hard not to break down again just like how he does on the day he realized Min doesn't remember him.

              "Hmm..." Min had her eyes looked outside the window, she smiled as soon as the clouds outside started to move.

              "The sky is very beautiful." Min commented, not taking her eyes off. Kibum glanced at her side profile, taking in details of her features even though he already knew them very well.

              "You're more beautiful," Kibum murmured inaudibly and smiled to himself. It's like the first time she caught his eyes in the lecture theatre. It's like he fell in love with her all over again.

              "Key!"

              Kibum snapped out of his thoughts and widen his eyes at Min. He was happy because she called him Key, could it be that she remembered him?

              His face fell as soon as Min makes her next sentence, "I heard Taemin call you that. Why do you name yourself Key?" She asked with a baffled expression on her face.

              I didn't name myself Key, you did. Kibum thought.

              "Because I'm almighty, I'm the key to everything." Kibum repeated what Min had told him when she first called him Key, "that's why I'm Key."

              "That's cool." Min smiled and for a moment, Kibum thought he's back in High school where a smile from Min can blew his mind away effortlessly.

              For the next few days, Kibum has always been beside Min. Talking about random things that came into their mind until one day, Min decided to ask something out of the box.

              "Key, you're always here. Don't you have a girlfr—" Min's eyes fell from his face to his ring finger, "oh, you're married!" She exclaimed.

              Kibum smiled, not knowing how to react. How is he supposed to reply her when she herself is his wife?

              "Min," Kibum pulled Min's hand and intertwined their fingers together like how he always does.

              "Will you love me?" He looked into her eyes, searching for an answer from that pair of eyes that he's so familiar with.

              Min let out a chuckle, pulling her hand back and faced Kibum, "you had a wife." She shook her head in silent and looked out at the sky.

              Kibum's broken heart shattered into pieces again. He bit on his bottom lip to prevent tears from felling and sobs from escaping. Sighing, he looked anywhere but her.

              How is he supposed to face her when she's the love of his life but she don't remember him anymore and won't love him because he was married?

              …Even though he was married to her.

              "Key hyung," Kibum snapped back to reality and watched as Taemin and Minho walked into the ward with bags in their hands.

              "Oh Minho!" Min yelled loudly and smiled brightly at Minho.

              Kibum's already shattered heart started to pain again. Both he and Minho were Min's best friends back in High school. How could she only remember one?

              "Hey." Minho grinned widely and placed the bags onto the table. "We bought some snacks." He added.

              "Noona, how are you today?" Taemin placed his hand on Min's shoulder whereas Min took it and caressed it with her hands, giving him an assuring smile.

 

 

"Key!" Min yelled and watched as Key disappeared into the bright light.

              "No! Key! Don't leave me!" Min cried her lungs out but to no avail.

 

"NO!" Min sat up on the bed, feeling cold sweats forming on her forehead and her back. She looked to her right and saw Key slouching into the couch with his eyes closed.

              Why am I dreaming about him? She thought.

              She used her right hand to wipe off the beads of perspiration but realized that there's a ring on the ring finger.

              What's this? Why is she realizing it only now? Min took off the band and looked at the inner side of the ring.

              'Keybum & Min'

              "Keybum..." Min mumbled to herself but still, nothing came into her mind, nothing as in any memories of the both of them.

              But one thing she's sure of, they're married.

              "..."

              Min felt guilty for not remembering Key, she was guilty also because Key didn't force her to remember him. She was glad that Key takes it slow.

              She sighed, clenching the ring in her palm.

              Everything makes sense now. The way Key looks into her eyes with love, the way he touch her make her felt butterflies in her tummy. The way Key care for her, the way he talks with a hint of sadness in it. The way his eyes filled with hurt when she told him he had a wife.

              …When she was supposed to be the wife.

 

 

"The sky is beautiful today isn't it?" Kibum smiled to himself as he poured a cup of water for Min.

              "Umm," Min stared blankly out the window with her eyes darting at one particular spot.

              Kibum noticed it; he knows how Min always goes into her thinking mode when she stared at something as though she’s going to burn a hole in it. Kibum walked over to her and stood there, giving her his most charming smile.

              Min's vision didn't move. Kibum smirked and cocked his right hip out, "the sky is beautiful huh?"

              "Umm..." Min answered while coming back to reality. She frowned the moment she realized Kibum was standing in front of her, totally blocking the view.

              "So I'm transparent?" Kibum laughed and ruffled Min's hair before walking away but Min grabbed onto his wrist, jerking him back.

              "Key..." She lowered her gaze. "Why?" Kibum smiled and sat down onto the bed, happy for the fact that Min was holding onto him.

              "I'll try to love you."

              Min looked into Kibum's eyes and gave him a small smile. He let out a soft cackle, putting his hand over Min's and sighed.

              "Thank you." He whispered.

 

 

 

Five years later

----------------------------

"Yah Key!" Min punched Kibum lightly on the shoulder, earning a glare from him while he was doing his paperwork.

              "What?" Kibum lazily answered as he rubbed his temples gently, closing his tired eyes.

              "What did you do to Minsoo? She's so tired and she just collapsed on the bed and fell sleep immediately."

              "I played with her. That's all."

              "She just recovered from fever! How ca-"

              Min's sentence was cut off when Kibum pulled her in and captured her lips. "I love you." He winked and hugged her tightly.

              Min literally melted at his actions, she wrapped her arms around Kibum's neck and snuggled against his warmth. "I love you too." She whispered. "And you think you could avoid the topic?"

              Kibum laughed and was sure that his wife won't stop nagging about how he played so much with their daughter despite that she just recovered from fever.

 

 

 

No. Min did not recall about Key. Instead, she fell in love with him again just like how she did in High school.