My brother, my love

|| o n e s h o t s c o l l e c t i o n s ||

 

The only person that lit up my world was my beloved brother, Lee Taemin.

-Taehee

 

 

 

I was sitting in a huge room with some relatives that I used to see only once a year.

              They were so loud, so loud that it scares me.

              "What about the kids? Who's going to look after them?"

              "Why don’t you do it? I've my own kids to take care of."

              "Are you kidding me? I wasn't even close to their parents in the first place."

              Just shut up already.

              I was trembling and tears began to gather in my eyes. I glanced at my brother who clenched his fists tightly on his lap, he was also shaking but he didn't cry. When he noticed that I was looking at him, he ruffled my hair.

              "Everything will be alright," he assured me. I smiled when he took my hand into his.

              "I'm alright as long you're with me," I whispered and as far as I'm concerned, a drop of tear rolled down my cheek.

              "Brother will be with you always, don't be afraid, alright." He squeezed my tiny hand a little.

              "Apparently no one is willing to take the kids."

              "Well, they bring bad luck. Can't you see? That's why their parents died in the oil tank explosion incident."

              I shut my eyes closed, I don't want to see any of those fake faces that appeared to be good to us but in reality they hated us to the bone. My brother must have seen my reaction because he pulled me into his embrace and covered my ears with his hands.

              I was only six, but who need parents as long I have my brother.

 

*****

"Unwanted kid!"

              Right after I heard that sentence, I was pushed onto the ground with my hands scratching against the rough floor.

              "Unwanted kid fall!! There's blood on her hand!! She's so dirty like a beggar!" The boy said to the girl, and they pointed at me as though I'm some weird animal.

              Don't get affected, Taehee. Brother will come to you soon.

              I looked at my hands and finally realized that it was bleeding, and it was awfully painful that I felt like crying.

              "Taehee!"

              There, my hero brother.

              He was running towards me but later he changed his direction to the group of bullies who pushed me, and I saw him pulled the collar of the boy and heard his cursing.

              "Stop bullying my sister if not I will snap your head off!"

              The boy was so frightened that he immediately ran away with the girl behind him. My brother exhaled deeply, coming to me and squatted down to examine my wound.

              "Does it hurt?"

              "No," I smiled. As long you're with me, nothing hurts.

              "Taehee. Next time if you fell, stand back up on your own, got it?" And I nodded my head, whatever you say.

              "When you feel unwanted, think of me, okay?" He smiled and turned around showing his back to me. I beamed and hopped onto his comfortable back.

              Who's unwanted? At least my brother wants me.

 

*****

"Taemin, you're not able to financially support both you and your sister. Why don't you let someone adopt her? You're sixteen but she's only twelve. She needs good care at that age."

              "I can work." Brother tightens his grip on my hand. "But st-"

              "I don't mind not studying, but Taehee is not going anywhere without me."

              I smiled, who needs to get adopted when I have my brother?

 

*****

"Oppa! What's all this?" I stared at all the chocolates that brother poured on the table.

              "Some girls gave them to me. But it's okay, they're all yours," brother smiled and put away his bag.

              "Oppa, you're quite popular aren't you? You've been working in that café and almost every day you would bring chocolates and gifts home." I pouted and tugged onto his arm.

              My brother had grown into a very handsome young man. His tall and lean body with that V-shaped chin line attracted a lot of girls. I sighed and placed my head onto his broad shoulder.

              "Aww, is my little sister jealous?" He pinched my cheek and pecked a kiss on my forehead before flashing me his smile.

              I swear one day his charming smile will be the reason why my balance of life goes wrong.

 

*****

Now, I'm sixteen. I'm schooling in Daehan High, the best high school in Seoul. My brother worked so hard in order for me to study. I'm not going to let him down.

              "Oh my God, Taehee! Your hot brother is here!" I looked to where my friend was pointing and found my brother standing at the school gate.

              "Oppa!" I squealed like a little girl and ran over to him wrapping my arms around his slim waist.

              His to-die-for slim waist that every girl wants to hug.

              "Taemin, are you done? Let's go now the movie's starting soon."

              I popped my head out from his chest when I heard an unfamiliar voice, who was that?

              And when I saw a beautiful lady sitting in a cab, my heart skipped a beat.

              "Taehee, I'm sorry I can't walk you home today. Oh, and she's my girlfriend, Heena."

              "Heena unnie," I greeted politely, expecting a nod from her but instead…did she just seriously glare at me?

              "So, see you later," he pecked a quick kiss on my forehead and got into the cab to join her.

              Since when does my brother take cab? Didn't he say that it's a waste of money?

 

*****

"I'm home," I said and took off my old sneakers.

              "Ah Taehee, you're home." Taemin walked out of his room and adjusted his vest.

              "Taemin!"

              Before I could turned back and see who just squealed like a pig shouted, I got pushed so hard that I slammed onto the wall on my left. What the ? After I regain my posture, I looked up only to see my brother hugging Heena.

              I shouldn't be standing here right now am I?

              I walked back to my room quietly and felt my heart slamming against my ribcage so hard that I thought my heart was going to jump out.

              What's this feeling? Why do I feel like crying?

              "Taehee, I’m going out already." Taemin yelled from the living room, and I didn’t bother to answer. Whatever, go with your Heena and don’t come back.

              And by the way, did Heena change her bag again? I sighed and thought about how many branded bags she asked my brother to buy for her. Didn't she know that what my brother earns was supposed to support only me and him?

              Taehee, Brother won't be with you forever. Someday, he has to get married and have children too.

 

*****

I was woken up by the noises outside my room. What's going on?

              "Taemin! Why can't we go to Bali? Is it because of money? I can pay for it if you want!"

              I put my ear against the door.

              "It's not about that. Heena, I've a younger sister, I can't just leave her alone."

              In your face, .

              "Taemin, I honestly think it’s time for you to leave your sister alone and be independent. How could you take care of her all the time? She's eighteen for sake! She can look after herself!"

              "You know nothing about what we've been through! She's my only young sister that I love the most, and no one can replace her!"

              "What, even me?" I heard Heena asking. Duh, even you, of course.

              "Yes, including you."

              I did a victory dance in my room before a sudden realization hits me, am I actually his burden?

              Sighing, I went out of my room after making sure that Heena left. "Oppa.”

              "Oh Taehee," Taemin smiled and gestured for me to sit next to him on the couch. "Heena unnie..." I tried to strike up a conversation but my brother took my hand and caressed it.

              "We broke up," he mumbled and I could see the sadness painted on his face. "I'm sorry," I sighed and he looked at me with widen eyes, "What are you sorry for?"

              "For mostly everything," I felt a lump in the back of my throat and I swallowed hard to get rid of it. "You should have just let me get adopted by others so you won't have to work at the age of sixteen and ditching your studies. You won't have to save all the money for me to study. Most of all, your life won't be tied with me..." I trailed off as I lowered my head.

              Two seconds went by and he patted my head, messing with my silky black hair.

              "Silly girl, I won't let anyone take you away from me. Of course, I won't let myself be absent in your life too." He smiled and my hair.

              "Because you're my dearest younger sister that I don't want to lose, I love you." He said and pulled me into a hug.

              My brother, I love you too. Please don't ever leave me.

 

*****

Now that Taemin was twenty-two year old, he has got a car on his own. He mentioned that it's easier to fetch me to and fro school since my new school was kind of far from home.

              "Taehee!"

              I smiled as soon as I saw oppa leaning on his car waiting for me at the school gate. "Oppa!" I went over and gave him a kiss on the cheek before getting into the car.

              "How's your day in school?" He asked as he stepped on the gear and made a left turn. "It's good. There's this guy who drew on my table and said he like me."

              "Wow, someone was trying to snatch you away from me." Taemin chuckled. Yeah, but who knows that even though the guy was the most popular guy in school, I only have eyes for my brother.

              "Damn, traffic jam."

              I looked up and saw three lanes full with cars. "Be patient, oppa. We can talk," I smiled and looked at him.

              What was that you called? Love brother complex?

              He smiled and ruffled my hair.

              'BOMB'

              Before I knew it, I can't open my eyes. I can't feel anything. My body was in pain. What was that? Was that oil on my skin?

              Rusty metallic scent infused into my nose. Was that blood that I smelled?

              I looked around me; I'm no longer in the car. I'm on the roadside with my clothes partially ripped.

              What just happened?

              "O-oppa..." I tried to shout but my throat…so pain and dry. I tilted my head and looked around, only to see a lot others lying lifelessly on the road.

              Where was my brother?

              "Taehee."

              Just then, I heard a voice calling out for me.

              Who was that? It's not my brother.

              I struggled, moving slowly because of the pain invading my body. But when I turned around, I saw…

              I saw three people floating in the sky. It's a couple...with brother standing next to them.

              "Taehee, it's time to be together. Come on, oppa's here." Taemin smiled and reached out for me.

              Who that couple was? They looked so familiar. They looked like...

              Yeah...they looked like my parents.

              I held my hand out and reach for my brother's one. As soon as our hands touched, I don't feel pain in my body anymore. I felt light, I felt free.

              My parents smiled.

              We're finally together...

 

 

 

"Good evening, this is Reporter Jung. After the oil tank explosion that happened twelve years ago which took away countless of lives. There's another explosion on the highway this afternoon, resulted in many deaths and others injured. Further detail will be given during the NEWS tonight."