Chapter 8

Against All Odds

Inside SuGen Resto Bar..

“Jessica!” Tiffany called as she pulled Hyoyeon to where Jessica was waiting for them.

“Miyoung!” Jessica acknowledged her and turned to Hyoyeon, “Kim Hyoyeon, right?”

The three girls were standing beside the table that Jessica reserved.

“Neh, annyeonghaseyo!” Hyoyeon bowed.

“You’re pretty,” Jessica winked.

“Kamsahamnida.”

“No need to be formal, Hyoyeon-ah! We’re all cool here, right, Miyoung?”

Tiffany nodded with her eye smile and giddily said, “I’m so glad you finally got to meet each other!” She turned to Jessica and said, “You forgot to introduce yourself, though.”

“Eomona~” Jessica shook her head and clasped her hands together.

“That’s becoming a bad habit,” Tiffany laughed.

 

-FLASHBACK-

“Is that your name?” Tiffany asked, pointing to the signboard.

The girl answered, “Oh my~ I totally forgot to introduce myself! How dumb was that?” She laughed at her own mistake.

“So did I!” Tiffany laughed along and held out her hand, “I’m Hwang Miyoung. Tiffany Hwang. You choose!”

The girl shook hands with her, “What pretty names you have! I’m Jessica Jung, by the way. Forget that name!” she pointed to the signboard.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

“I know, right?! I’m Jessica Jung and it’s a pleasure!” Jessica hugged Hyoyeon & whispered, “I also have a Korean name but I prefer to be called Jessica.”

Hyoyeon giggled. “I have something like that, too,” she told Jessica, referring to how Tiffany still occasionally calls her by Hyosookie.

“Mwoh? Mwoh? Hyosookie? Huh? You don’t wanna be called Hyosookie?”  Tiffany teased.

“Hyosookie?” Jessica thought,“Where have I heard that name?”

Jessica’s thoughts were interrupted by Hyoyeon and Tiffany’s laughter. Then, they all took their seats.

“Miyoung has told me so much about you,” Jessica told Hyoyeon.

“Ah, jinjja? She’s told me stories about you, too.”

“I hope, those good ones only,” she joked.

Tiffany interrupted, “YAH! I tell everything as long as it’s true!”

They all laughed again. Jessica raised her hand and signaled for the waiter. After placing their orders, they continued their conversation.

“If you’re free, you can come and watch our school’s Annual School Opening Showcase!” Hyoyeon invited.

“She’s right, you should come!” Tiffany seconded.

“I’d like to! When is it?” Jessica asked.

“2 weeks from now,” Hyoyeon answered.

Jessica took out her phone to check her schedule.

“So, are you available?” Tiffany asked.

Jessica looked up and smiled, “I am! I will come!”

“YEYYYYY~” the three girls screamed in excitement.

“But what am I supposed to expect?” Jessica asked.

“You should come to find out,” Tiffany wiggled her eyebrows.

“Expect to see or even meet Tiffany’s love-hate special guy friend,” Hyoyeon said.

“Yah!” Tiffany covered Hyoyeon’s mouth but it was too late.

“Ah, the one Tiffany was with earlier?” Jessica gaped at Hyoyeon.

“Yes! She was with him earlier!”

“I knew something was going on,” Jessica teased Tiffany.

“There’s none!” Tiffany protested and added, “We don’t even get along well!”

“But she’s so affected whenever they bicker,” Hyoyeon butted in.

Jessica joked along and reached out to touch Tiffany’s hand. She said, “Miyoung-ah, it’s alright. You can open up about your feelings. It’s just me and Hyoyeon here.”

Feelings?! Feelings, my foot!” Tiffany defended herself.

Hyoyeon was giggling on the side while Jessica asked, “So what’s his name?”

“No use telling you his name,” Hyoyeon shrugged, “Meeting him in the Showcase is far better than knowing his name so make sure you come!” Hyoyeon guffawed.

“You have a point there,” Jessica laughed and coincidentally, their orders arrived.

“I think it is Jess’s turn to be put in the hot seat,” Tiffany naughtily suggested as she took a bite.

Hyoyeon swallowed before saying, “That’s right.”

“Come, shoot,” Jessica challenged while she picked on her food with her fork.

“So, Jessica,” Hyoyeon started, “Any boys from your past?”

Jessica stared at the ceiling for a moment then answered, “Definitely. I had a boyfriend here in Korea before I went back to America.”

“Jinjja? When was that?” Tiffany asked before shoving a spoon in .

“That was 3 years ago,” Jessica took a sip of wine and smiled.

Hyoyeon nodded, “Oh, but did you love him?”

Jessica’s expression got serious. She answered, “Yes, I loved with all my heart. But I had to obey my parents. They opposed my relationship with him because they dream for me to be married to someone who belongs to the same social class as ours. That’s why I was sent back to America.”

“Sorry,” Tiffany and Hyoyeon apologized.

“Aniyo, it’s okay. No use crying over spilled milk,” Jessica continued eating but since she talked about Donghae, she can’t help but to ask herself: “Spilled millk? Have I now really forgotten Donghae oppa?”

After the meal, Jessica offered the two, “I should drop you both back to your dorm.”

“Aniyo, I brought my car,” Tiffany refused.

“That’s good. Take care, then,” Jessica bowed.

“Thank you for the meal, Jessica!” Hyoyeon bowed back and waved.

“I had fun with both of you,” Jessica gestured.

“Same here,” Hyoyeon smiled.

“YAH! JESSICA!” Tiffany butted in.

Jessica looked at Tiffany and asked, “Neh?”

“Make sure you come to the showcase, arasseo?” Tiffany cutely pouted.

“I promise!”

The three waved & said their goodbyes.

 

2 days later at 6:30AM..

Knock knock.

Hyoyeon was awakened by the sound. She groaned and stretched.

Knock knock.

She rubbed her eyes and looked at Tiffany. Hyoyeon laughed at what she saw—PINK.

Tiffany was barely visible under her pink blankets and was still sound asleep in her own pink bed.

Knock knock.

“Aish! Who could be knocking at our door this early?!” Hyoyeon whined as she looked at the time. She got up from her bed and answered the door.

Knock knock.

“Coming!” Hyoyeon shouted as he walked towards the door. When she opened it, she was surprised to see a beaming Eunhyuk.

“Good morning, Hyoyeon-ssi!” Eunhyuk smiled, showing his gums.

Hyoyeon’s eyes widened & slammed the door close. In a matter of 20 seconds, Hyoyeon was able to run around the house—she washed her face & mouth, put on her sweater to cover her pajamas, combed her hair and tied it in a neat bun.

She ran to the door and opened it again as she tried to catch her breath.

“Whew,” Hyoyeon laughed as she leaned on the doorframe.

Eunhyuk laughed, “Well, that was fast.”

Hyoyeon was embarrassed and tried to change the topic, “What did you come here for, Eunhyuk-ssi?”

“To see your just-woke-up face and I succeeded,” Eunhyuk said.

Hyoyeon laughed and said, “Seriously..”

“Well, the Showcase is nearing but I don’t think you’re in the condition to work at this time. Let’s jog around the campus instead.”

“MWOH?!”

“Go dress up! I’ll just change my attire, too,” Eunhyuk pointed.

“But--”

Eunhyuk ran off to his room leaving Hyoyeon no chance to protest.

A few minutes later, there was a knock again on the door.

Knock knock.

“Eunhyuk-ssi?” Hyoyeon guessed.

“Neh, it’s me. Let’s go!” Eunhyuk gestured.

“Neh!”

When they got at the tracks, Eunhyuk started to stretch and Hyoyeon just followed.

“Eunhyuk-ssi, do you jog regularly?” Hyoyeon asked as she stretched her neck muscles.

“I jog when I have the time. Dancers need to have high endurance, you know,” he explained as he stretched his muscular arms.

“Ah, jinjja?” Hyoyeon pretended to not know as she reached for her toes, faking occasional grunts.

“Neh, we need it for--” Eunhyuk lost his words when he caught sight of Hyoyeon stretching like an expert. Almost like a gymnast, with her body almost folded like a letter-U, without her showing any signs of difficulty.

Hyoyeon continued stretching but she looked up to Eunhyuk who stopped talking out of the blue. “Is it just me, or you really stopped talking,” she said and continued stretching.

“WHOAH! You’re flexible!” Eunhyuk gaped.

Hyoyeon stopped stretching and stood up straight. She quickly thought of an excuse, “Ah.. I was.. I was.. part of.. IwaspartoftheStretchingClub! Neh! Stretching club during high school.”

“Stretching Club?” Eunhyuk scratched his head.

“Neh!”

“What do you do there?!” Eunhyuk asked—he’s never heard of a Stretching Club. No one has until Hyoyeon made it up.

“Of course, we stretch, dummy! Let’s jog!” Hyoyeon gestured, hoping to change the topic.

The two started jogging along the track, Hyoyeon keeping up with Eunhyuk’s manly pace.

“Hyoyeon-ssi, breathe through your nose. It’s easier,” Eunhyuk suggested.

“So you’re an expert now?” Hyoyeon laughed as they continued to jog.

“Just trying to help,” Eunhyuk answered with a smile.

“It’s barely two weeks before the Showcase,” Hyoyeon tried to start a conversation thought it’s hard to talk while jogging because it consumes more air in her lungs.

“And a week before the Finale Auditions,” Eunhyuk added.

“Should we give it a shot?”

“With Tiffany-ssi and Donghae?”

“Who else and why not?!” Hyoyeon suggested.

“I don’t think they’re getting along well,” Eunhyuk’s speed started to pick up.

Hyoyeon tried to keep up & said, “I think so, too. Tiffany’s been telling me stories of her fights with Donghae.” Faster they went.

“Donghae, too. I think we should help them,” Eunhyuk offered. Faster.

“Yes, let us do. Their uncomfortable relationship might affect their perfor--”

Eunhyuk looked at Hyoyeon but she was not beside him anymore. He stopped on his tracks and looked back. He saw Hyoyeon a few feet behind him and was on the ground. Eunhyuk quickly ran to her side and bent down, “Are you okay?”

“I just tripped,” she checked her elbow and winced, “Owww.”

“You’re hurt..” Eunhyuk reached out for Hyoyeon’s elbow.

Hyoyeon pulled her elbow away and said, “It’s just a scratch.”

“Aniyo, you’re coming with me to the clinic,” Eunhyuk helped her up.

“No need, Eunhyuk-ssi. I’m fine.”

“Then I’ll treat your wound myself back at our dorm.”

“Komawoyo, jinjja but I’m really fine.”

Eunhyuk took a step away from Hyoyeon and asked, “You really wouldn’t listen, won’t you?”

“Yes! Because I’m totally fi--”

With a quick movement, Eunhyuk snatched Hyoyeon and carried her on his back. And in a split second, he was running.

Hyoyeon held on to him, screaming, “Eunhyuk-ssiiiiii~”

Eunhyuk came to a sudden stop and Hyoyeon realized that they were halfway back to their dorm building.

“That’s what you get for not listening,” Eunhyuk smirked.

“Put *smack* me *smack* down *smack*!” Hyoyeon pounded Eunhyuk’s shoulders with her fists but it did not seem to hurt him.

“Promise me you’ll come with me to the clinic?”

“Promise.”

“Is that true?” Eunhyuk doubted.

“Yes, of course!”

“I’m not buying it,” Eunhyuk began sprinting again.

After a few seconds, Hyoyeon (whose eyes are closed) felt Eunhyuk stop on his tracks. She heard a door open and close, too.

“We’re here, Hyoyoen-ssi,” Eunhyuk said.

“Huh?!” Hyoyeon opened her eyes just to realize that they were already inside Eunhyuk’s dorm already.

“You can let go now,” he joked.

Hyoyeon jumped out of Eunhyuk’s back, embarrassed. Unfortunately, she fell on the floor from her clumsiness and Eunhyuk helped her up, laughing.

Eunhyuk just sat her on their couch and said, “Stay there. I’ll just get medicine for your elbow and cold compress for your head.”

A few moments later, Eunhyuk returned & sat beside her. “Hold this against the part where you hit your head on the floor,” he handed her the cold compress.

Hyoyeon took it from him and followed his directions.

“Your elbow,” Eunhyuk pointed.

Hyoyeon showed it to him and he started applying medicine. “Ah,” Hyoyeon flinched in pain.

“Sorry,” Eunhyuk resumed in applying medicine to her elbow and the girl just stared at him while he treated her wound. Eunhyuk blew on Hyoyeon’s wound before putting a band-aid on it. He looked at Hyoyeon and said, “That should do it.”

Hyoyeon checked her elbow and said, “Komawoyo, Eunhyuk-ssi!”

“You owe me one,” he joked.

Hyoyeon took it seriously and said, “Arasseoyo! You tell me how I can repay you, ‘kay?”

“If you say so,” Eunhyuk shrugged.

“Yah, its 8:00AM already, shall we start?” Hyoyeon reminded.

“Ah, neh! Go get your things first & let’s meet up here when you’re ready, Hyoyeon-ssi.”

She was gathering the things she needed when her phone rang. Hyoyeon checked who was calling, but it was an unknown number.

“Yeoboseyo?” Hyoyeon answered the phone.

“Hyoyeon-ah..”

Hyoyeon gasped as she recognized the familiar voice. She held her chest as she felt her heart skip a beat.


Who could’ve called for Hyoyeon to react like that?! Take a guess, readers! And oh noooo, the HaeSica and HaeFany love triangle is heating up. Oh and sorry for the boring HyoHyuk moments :( I, myself, am disappointed at their lame moments. *buries her face in her hands*

Please also support my new Super Generation oneshot entitled "Taking Chances" Click HERE to start reading! :)


COMMENT REPLIES

@VampireKnighFan4Eva. what exactly are your questions about the story, dear? I can help.. :) Ask away! ;)

@HeeSicaLin. O_O that's great~ :) after all, who doesn't love Super Generation, neh? >:D HAHAHA! HERE'S AN UPDATE! :) don't cry now, neh? ;)

@PeekyWinnie. >:D I can't ell you, exactly beacuse that would spoil the fun, but I'm guessing that that issue would resurface in the latter half of this whole fanfic.. :)) I hope it's okay! ^^v

@amanthapayne. oh hi, unnie! ^^v the huge compliment really helps! :)))))