Chapter 3

Against All Odds

11 MONTHS AGO- FIRST DAY OF CLASSES- 1ST YEAR IN COLLEGE

Eunhyuk and Donghae entered the gates of Korea Institute for the Arts.

“Wow, Eunhyuk! College, baby!”

“And it’s not just any college..”

“K-I-A!” they shouted together before squealing and pulling each other like girls.

 

Meanwhile..

“Tiffany, this is it,” Hyoyeon nervously said as they entered the campus gates.

Tiffany gulped and said, “Yeah..College..”

“I did not expect to get this nervous at the first day of classes,” Hyoyeon said, almost like a whisper.

“Me either.”

“By the way, about our dorms..”

The two girls stopped walking “Yes, my mom had called in and she said that K.I.A. had agreed to assign us in the same room already. I heard dorm rooms here are big—like penthouses with balcony and stuff.”

“Jinjja?”

“Neh,” Tiffany smiled at her friend.

“Yeyy~” Hyoyeon cheered.

“By the way, I like your new hair color! ‘BLONDE BABE!’” Tiffany complimented her friend.

Hyoyeon touched her hair consciously and asked, “Does it look good on me?”

“You bet! Going back, I’ve brought my pink room accessories & decorations!”

“Aigoo~ I can just imagine..” Hyoyeon joked.

Tiffany laughed and said, “Not even my Hyosookie can stop me! I will give our room an extreme makeover with pink curtains, pink wallpapers, pink mattresses, pink--”

“K-I-A!” Tiffany was interrupted by two boys who shouted like maniacs, even raising their fists in the air.

Tiffany and Hyoyeon’s head turned to the direction of the boys whose backs are facing them.

Hyoyeon laughed out loud but Tiffany quickly covered her friend’s mouth and pulled her to the opposite direction.

Tiffany said, “Hyoyeon! We could have gotten in trouble there! Who knows, they might be gangsters, school bullies, frat membe--”

Tiffany was interrupted by Hyoyeon’s laughter. Hyoyeon can’t stop laughing and was even patting her tummy.

“Hyoyeon-ah! Sssshhh! Your laugh can be heard all around the campus!” Tiffany scolded her friend with a smile.

 

Eunhyuk quickly turned his head to one direction but he saw no one suspicious.

“Yah, what is it, Eunhyuk?”

“Did you hear someone laugh?”

“Uhm. No?” Donghae answered while looking Eunhyuk who kept looking around.

“Someone laughed! I heard it!”

“And we should care because..?”

Eunhyuk shrugged but the truth was that the laughter he heard sounded like music to his ears. “Never mind,” he said.

 

6 MONTHS AGO-SHOWCASE OF 1ST YEAR STUDENTS FROM ALL STYLE SECTION

“Why aren’t you performing, Tiffany?”

“Broadway Section,” Tiffany pointed to herself, “All Style Section,” then she pointed towards the stage.

Hyoyeon nodded as if to say that she understood.

“Although, your dancing skills can outshine them all,” Tiffany said.

“But--”

“But it brings back bad memories? I know, that’s why I won’t force you. I’m just saying that you have mad dancing skills,” Tiffany said.

“Thanks for understanding, Miyoung-ah!”

“Mad mad mad dancing skills,” Tiffany muttered in English.

Hyoyeon just laughed.

When the first batch of performers took their place onstage and started to dance, Hyoyeon recognized a familiar face. She squinted and focused on the familiar face. She tried to remember who it was.

Hyoyeon gasped when the name came to her. “Park Gyuri?!”

Tiffany looked at her friend, then to the stage and covered in surprise when indeed, she saw Park Gyuri.

“PARK GYURI?! WITCH GYURI?!” Tiffany exclaimed.

“She..made it..to All Style Section.. She gets it all..all that I ever wanted..” Hyoyeon’s eyes started to tear up. She stood up and ran out of the auditorium.

Tiffany followed her friend but when she got to the empty hallway, she saw Hyoyeon lying on the floor, curled up and crying hysterically.

“Hyoyeon-ah,” Tiffany helped her friend up.

“I-I was doing f-fine and does she have to appear and r-ruin everything?!” Hyoyeon stuttered as Tiffany hugged her.

All that Tiffany could do was to hug her trembling friend and comfort her, “Hyosookie, uljima. Don’t cry~” She just let Hyoyeon cry on her shoulders and Hyoyeon’s cried filled the empty hallway.

Hyoyeon was shaking—probably angry, frustrated, shattered and confused all at the same time.

The silence in the empty hallway was broken when two boys came running and shouting, “Wait, wait, wait, WAIT!”

“Donghae, faster!” one boy shouted.

“Coming! Ahh!” the other boy shouted back.

“FASTER! It’s almost our tur--” the shouts were interrupted by a furious Tiffany.

“CAN YOU HAVE A LITTLE RESPECT?!” the angry Tiffany yelled (in English) at the two boys.

The two boys came to a sudden stop. They looked at the angry girl in front of them who was hugging a crying blondie.

“Eomo! Choisonghamnida! We’re very sorry!” the man whose name was apparently Donghae bowed and apologized.

The other man bowed in apology, too, “Sorry.”

Hyoyeon was still crying in Tiffany’s shoulder, unaware of what was happening—Tiffany staring at the two boys furiously, Donghae who kept apologizing and the other boy who was looking at the ’crying blonde girl’ with curiosity.

After a few moments, the other guy bowed for the last time and reminded his friend, “Our turn!” The two boys then rushed inside the auditorium.

 

5 MONTHS AGO

“Freshman year is almost ending!” Eunhyuk cheered.

“Right..and I still haven’t seen her around,” Donghae disappointedly said.

Her? Who is her?”

“The English speaking, shouting, angry and..beautiful girl from the day of our Showcase! You don’t remember?!”

Eunhyuk tried to recall and exclaimed, “Ah! The one with the ‘crying blonde girl’?”

“Yes! HER!”

“You like her?! She scared me!” Eunhyuk asked.

“She reminded me of--” Donghae was not able to continue.

“Jung Sooyeon?! Aigoo! You haven’t moved on, Lee Donghae! Aish! You are a babo!”

“At least, I’m human! I like girls! I fall in love!”

“Yah, yah. Don’t raise your voice like that.”

“Wae?! I’m just saying the truth! The truth that you are also stuck in the past! Many girls like you and have confessed to you but you have rejected every single one of them! Why?! Just because of your frustrated stupid little childhood crush on that Hyosookie that you might not even ever see again! ”

“MWOH?! You..” Eunhyuk did not continue but just stormed out of their room.

 

Meanwhile..

“Hyoyeon-ah! I’ll be back before dinner!” Tiffany shouted.

“Wae? Where are you going?” asked Hyoyeon from inside the bathroom, taking a shower.

“My Wooyoungie called and asked to meet me!”

“GYAHH! Arasseo, arasseo! Buy me some Banana Milk, neh? Take care!” Hyoyeon reminded Tiffany.

“I will! Bye, Hyoyeon-ah!”

Wooyoung was Tiffany’s boyfriend. He’s Tiffany’s classmate from the Broadway Section but was recently notified that he might be transferred to the All Style Section for his exceptional improvement and skills.

 

At dinnertime..

“Aigoo~” Hyoyeon looked at the time, “It’s 7:15PM and Tiffany’s still not here,” Hyoyeon muttered as her stomach grumbled. She continued to just stare at the food in front of her but then she heard someone enter. She went to check and was surprised when someone hugged her. Hyoyeon was startled because Tiffany suddenly hugged her and started crying really hard. “Miyoung-ah, what happened?!”

Over dinner, Tiffany told Hyoyeon the whole story.

 

-FLASHBACK-

“Wooyoungie, I’m here!” Tiffany shouted as she ran towards her boyfriend. She hugged her but surprisingly, he did not hug her back. “Wooyoungie, why did you want to meet?”

“We need to talk, Tiffany.”

“Arasseoyo, let’s grab some snacks first and talk about it while eating, okay?”

“Aniyo. I’m going to keep it short,” Wooyoung said coldly.

Tiffany trembled and felt nervous when she heard the tone in his voice. “Wooyoungie..”

“Look, Tiffany.. You are a great person and I want you to keep that in mind.”

Tiffany did not like where this was going. She said, “Aigoo. I know that already. I’m hungry, though. Let’s go find someth--” Tiffany held Wooyoung’s hand and tried to pull him but Wooyoung pulled his hand back forcefully.

“Tiffany!”

Oh how much she hated where this was going.

Tiffany covered her ears and cried, “I don’t want to hear anymore! Stop!”

Wooyoung grabbed her wrists and made it clear for her. He rubbed it on her face, “Tiffany, I. Want. To. Breakup.”

“Stop, Wooyoung! Stop!”

Wooyoung shook her and said, “Look at me.”

Tiffany raised her head and looked at her oppa with eyes that are wet with tears.

Wooyoung said, “I’m gonna be promoted to the All Style Section in less than a month and you..”

“Mwoh?! And I will stay at the Broadway Section?! What’s wrong with that, Wooyoungie?!” Tiffany yelled while tears fell down her cheeks.

“You.. are not good for me..”

“Not good for you.. Not good enough for you..” Tiffany said softly, like she was talking to herself.

“Yes.”

Tiffany ran off and drove her car home while crying. She knows it’s dangerous to drive in her condition but she needed her friend right now.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

2 days later..

“Are you sure you can fetch your parents alone, Tiffany?”

“Neh.”

“You look like you--”

“I can fetch them, Hyoyeon-ah. I haven’t seen them for years,” Tiffany reasoned.

Hyoyeon was worried. Her friend might get in an accident in her condition & she certainly looks like a zombie. For the last two nights, Tiffany was not able to sleep and just kept crying until morning. Today at class, Tiffany was not her usual bubbly, smiley, noisy self. Tiffany Hwang was certainly heartbroken.

 

In the airport..

“Aish! Eomma! Appa! What’s taking you so long?!” Tiffany whined by herself as she looked for her parents who’ll visit Korea for the vacation.

Just then, a brunette approached Tiffany. The girl spoke in English, “Excuse me, do you speak English?”

“Yes, I do,” Tiffany replied (in English). She had not used English that much but she was still fluent.

“Perfect! Can you help me?”

Tiffany checked her watch and said, “Sure! I guess I still have time to spare.”

The two continued talking to each other in English.

“Wow, you are heaven sent!”

“What do you need help for?”

“Do you see those ‘men in black’ over there?”

Tiffany looked at where the brunette pointed and said, “Yeah?”

“Well, you see, they are here to fetch me and bring me home but I need your help to pretend that you are my friend from America, and that you came here instead of me for some reasons.”

“What? But why?”

“Because I don’t want to go back home! My parents will be monitoring me there 24/7 from America. All these ‘men in black’ and even the maids will report every single move I make to my parents! It will be like a penitentiary there!” the girl whined.

Tiffany laughed and asked, “But what am I supposed to do if they would want to take me with them?! For interrogation or whatsoever?!”

“Oh, no. They’re not gonna do that! I’m pretty sure of it! The only person they are interested to take with them is me, yours truly!” the girl confidently answered.

“You sure this will work?”

“You bet I am!” the girl winked at her and continued, “They’ll probably get confused and report to my parents that I had not arrived in Korea. Just talk to them in English, it’s more convincing.”

“Are you serious?!” Tiffany got kinda nervous and looked at the girl with confusion.

“I know it will work, trust me!” the girl wiggled her eyebrows, “I’m brilliant, aren’t I? I just can’t wait to see the look on their faces.”

Tiffany looked over to the ‘men in black’ & saw one of them holding up a sign which said Jung Sooyeon. “Is that your name?” Tiffany asked, pointing to the signboard.

The girl answered, “Oh my~ I totally forgot to introduce myself! How dumb was that?” She laughed at her own mistake.

“So did I!” Tiffany laughed along and held out her hand, “I’m Hwang Miyoung. Tiffany Hwang. You choose!”

The girl shook hands with her, “What pretty names you have! I’m Jessica Jung, by the way. Forget that name!” she pointed to the signboard. “Okay, Miyoung, let’s do this!”

As she had expected, Jessica’s plan succeeded & they exchanged numbers before Tiffany ran off to help her parents carry their luggage.

“Bye, Jessica! I need to go now and it was a pleasure meeting you!”

“Same here, Miyoung! I hope to see you soon!”

When Tiffany got back to their dorm in K.I.A., she told Hyoyeon about Jessica. Hyoyeon was happy to see her friend be talkative again.

“And your parents?” Hyoyeon asked.

“I bet they’ll still be very busy,” Tiffany said but was puzzled when she saw Hyoyeon just staring at her. “Hyoyeon-ah? Are you still listening? Earth to Hyoyeon!”

Hyoyeon just hugged her and said, “Neh. I’m just really really happy that you’re back!”


Many things are happening and I think we’ve had enough of the past. Am I right? You can leave your comments anytime! Since the whole storyline is starting to tangle up, you can leave your QUESTIONS, too ;) Thankyousosomuch ^.^ CHAPTER 4 WILL BE SET ON THE PRESENT AND NOT THE PAST ANYMORE! \m/

FOR THE AH-MAZING CHAPTER BANNER, CREDITS TO Ahjussi & Chicken Graphic Shop's MusicChibi! ^.^

 


COMMENT REPLIES

@VampireKnightFan4Eva. jinjja? ^.^ comments like yours make my day~

@ika_sya_lovehyoyeon. shall I comment on that? :) hmm.. because then I will be spoiling the fun, neh? >:D