Chapter 2

Against All Odds

SEOUL- 3 YEARS AGO-3RD YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL

Eunhyuk (whose real name was Lee Hyukjae), the ‘Dancing Machine’ of his school was practicing for their intermission in the coming Commencement Exercises.

“Eunhyuk oppa!” some girls were squealing outside the classroom where he was practicing but he did not take notice. He was so absorbed in what he was doing—choreography. “Eunhyuk!” even a few noonas from the higher year levels are captivated by his dance moves.

The hallway outside was filled by girls screaming Eunhyuk’s name but there was sudden complete silence when a man came shouting, “Move! Move!”

It was an angry, heartbroken, frustrated, crying Lee Donghae. He pushed the door open and it caught Eunhyuk’s attention. “Oh, Donghae.” Eunhyuk quickly noticed that he needed to talk with Donghae.

The girls outside rushed in but Eunhyuk went near them and they all listened to him saying, “Thank you for coming but as you can see, my friend Donghae has some problems. I will talk to him but can you, lovely ladies, give us privacy first?”

Eunhyuk flashed a pleading smile after he looked back at his friend who was crying with his face in his hands in one corner of the room. “Please?” How can the girls refuse their Eunhyuk’s innocent request?

One by one, the girls went outside unwillingly. When at last they were alone, Eunhyuk approached his friend.

“Yah, what’s wrong?” Eunhyuk asked as he pulled a chair.

“Everything!” Donghae exclaimed as tears fell down his cheeks. His hands were closed into fists.

“Tell me what happened.”

“She..she..she left me!”

“Who?”

“Sooyeon! Sooyeon left me, Eunhyuk!” Donghae banged his fists on his desk.

“What?! Why?! Did she tell you why?!”

“I know why. Because I’m not good enough for her!”

“You know that’s not true.”

“It is true, Eunhyuk. It is. And now,” Donghae’s tears wouldn’t stop falling, “She’s leaving.”

“What do you mean?”

“She’s going b-back to A-America.”

 

-FLASHBACK-

Donghae’s phone rang and he quickly answered it when he saw that it was Sooyeon. His Sooyeon.

“Sooyeoniiie~” he cutely said.

“Oppa, mianhae.”

“What is my Sooyeon apologizing for?”

“Oppa.. I’m leaving.”

Donghae laughed because he thought that Sooyeon was just joking. He said, “Aigoo, uri Sooyeon. We’re playing games now?”

“Oppa..”

The tone of the girl’s voice signaled Donghae that this was something serious. “Sooyeon?”

“I’m going back to America, oppa. Mianhae.”

“MWOH?! Wae?! When?!”

“Tonight. Oppa, I’m sorry but my parents found out about us.”

“Sooyeon,” was all that Donghae could say. He could not believe that he would not see the girl she loves again. “Sooyeon..you can’t..”

The girl started crying on the other side of the line and said, “Oppa.. S-Saranghaeyo~”

“Sooyeon, don’t go. Kajima!”

“Mi-Mianhae, oppa. Saranghaeyo,” Sooyeon hung up.

“Saranghae, Sooyeon..” Donghae still said even though he knew that Sooyeon won’t hear.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

When Donghae had somehow recovered and stopped crying, he told Eunhyuk everything that happened. Jung Sooyeon, Donghae’s now ex-girlfriend will go back to America because her parents found out about her dating Donghae. Of course, Sooyeon’s parents (who, by the way, are super dooper rich) would oppose because Lee Donghae was just from the middle-class of the society. Because of this, she was sent back to America and was forced to continue her studies there.

Sooyeon and Donghae really loved each other but maybe, destiny had other plans for them that’s why this happened. Same as with the three childhood friends—Hyosookie whose real name is Kim Hyoyeon, Miyoung who is now Tiffany Hwang & Hyukjae who is now called Eunhyuk.

 

2 YEARS AGO- 4TH YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL

“That Lee Junho’s gonna have a piece of me!” Tiffany exclaimed as she stood up from where she was sitting.

“Tiffany..don’t.” the crying Hyoyeon begged.

Tiffany sat back down & yelled at Hyoyeon, “But he’s a jerk! He cheated on you, Hyoyeon-ah!”

“We can’t g-get revenge, Tiffany.” Hyoyeon kept crying.

“WAE?! He deserves it!” Tiffany protested.

“That’ll only m-make us as stinky and as b-bad as he is,” Hyoyeon answered between her sobs.

“Aigoo! Why are you still so kind, Hyoyeon-ah?”

Hyoyeon wiped the tears that won’t stop falling.

“That Jerk Junho don’t realize what he’s missing,” Tiffany finally calmed down and said, “Come on now, stop crying, Hyoyeon-ah.”

“I w-want to, but I c-can’t.”

“Someday, Hyoyeon-ah! Someday..that Witch Gyuri and that Jerk Junho will get what they deserve!” Tiffany scoffed and smirked at the thought of Gyuri and Junho.

Hyoyeon fiddled with her fingers and was obviously still holding back her tears.

Tiffany looked pitifully at her friend and murmured, “If only Hyukjae oppa was here..”

 

Meanwhile..

“We’re over Gyuri,” a man coldly said.

“Oppa..forgive me, please?” Gyuri begged.

“Forgive you?! How can I forgive you after what you have done, Gyuri?!”

“Oppa..”

“Not only did you cheat on me! You cheated with someone else’s boyfriend! You stole someone else’s boyfriend!”

“I was not the one who started it, oppa!” Gyuri explained.

“Does that still matter now?! You’re unbelievable, Gyuri! I won’t fall for anymore of your lies. Goodbye, Gyuri..” the man started to walk away but Gyuri hugged him from behind.

“Oppa, don’t leave me..”

The man removed Gyuri’s hands from his waist and said, “I loved you but you just gave me a reason to agree to the arranged marriage. I’m..going to America..” The man walked away and Gyuri did not make any more effort to stop him.

She just whispered, “Siwon oppa..”

 

15 MONTHS AGO

“Eunhyuk!”

“Oh, Donghae. Why did you call?”

“We got in! We passed, Eunhyuk!”

“What are you talking about?!”

“What else?! Korea Institute for the Arts!”

“Are you serious?!”

“Do you think I’d joke about this?”

Eunhyuk screamed like a girl and when he finally calmed down, he said “Wait, wait. I’ll come over to your house!”

The 20-year-old Lee Hyukjae ran to Donghae’s house which was on the same street as theirs.

As soon as he arrived, Donghae handed him the printed results of the Entrance Examinations and Auditions. When Eunhyuk saw his name, Lee Hyukjae, under the list of ‘All Style Section of Dance Department,’ he jumped and down screaming. “WHOOOOOO! K.I.A.! HERE I COME! ALL STYLE, BABY! I MADE IT! WHOOOO!”

We made it,” Donghae corrected him.

Eunhyuk stopped his celebration then looked at Donghae. Then he looked at the paper again. Then he looked at Donghae again and this time, Donghae joined Eunhyuk—jumping up and down, hugging each other and squealing like little girls. “K.I.A! K.I.A.!”

The two boys were especially happy because first, they made it to the most prestigious and high-standard Arts College in Korea and second, they even made it to the All Style Section, the pilot section for the whole Dance Department.

“We get to live in our own dorms there! Yeah!” Donghae yelled.

Eunhyuk shouted, “Freedom! College!”

“Girls!” Donghae shouted along but Eunhyuk stopped and hit Donghae in the head. “OW! Yah, what was that for?”

“Aigoo, we entered K.I.A. to study! Not to be playboys!” Eunhyuk scolded his friend.

“Arasseo, arasseo!” Donghae exclaimed as he fixed his hair that Eunhyuk messed up.

 

Meanwhile..

Hyoyeon’s phone went off with Tiffany’s ringtone.

“Yeoboseyo, Tiffany?”

“Kim Hyoyeon, you’ve got some explaining to do!” Tiffany’s voice was angry.

“What do you mean?”

“We made it to K.I.A.. We passed the exams and auditions.”

“Jinjja?! We did?!”

“Neh,” Tiffany answered coldly.

“Then why do you sound like you’re not happy?”

Tiffany did not answer.

“Tiffany? Miyoung-ah? Are you still there?” Hyoyeon checked.

“HOW CAN I BE HAPPY?! YOU LIED TO ME!”

“Tiffa--” Tiffany hung up before Hyoyeon can even explain.

Because of what had happened between her and Junho, Hyoyeon had stopped dancing. But because she and Tiffany promised each other to try for K.I.A., she still took the examinations but applied for the Music Department instead of the Dance Department without telling it to Tiffany. When Tiffany found out from the results that Hyoyeon applied for the Mixing & Production Section, she was, of course, sad because Tiffany had expected to be in the same department as Hyoyeon.

“Tiffany, mianhae.”

“Why did you do that, Hyoyeon? Why didn’t you tell me?” Tiffany asked without looking at Hyoyeon because she was deeply hurt.

Hyoyeon felt guilty and tried to explain why, “Junho..” Tears started to fall on Hyoyeon’s cheeks.

“Aish, don’t start crying now,” Tiffany’s voice cracked.

They both cried and Tiffany reasoned out, “B-But you love dancing, H-Hyoyeon-ah.”

Loved. I loved dancing. That was the p-past,” Hyoyeon corrected her friend but of course, she will always love dancing. Hyoyeon knows that in her heart. It’s just that after her breakup with Junho, images of him & Gyuri cheating on her would flash on her mind whenever she’ll start dancing. For years, Junho had been Hyoyeon’s dance partner in high school and that was even the reason why they fell in love with each other. Or so she thought..

Junho and Hyoyeon had been together for almost a year and she loved him very much but she caught Junho cheating on her with Gyuri.

 

-FLASHBACK-

“Sorry, Junho’s not here,” a boy told Hyoyeon when she went looking for Junho in his classroom.

“I see, kamsahamnida.” Hyoyeon wondered where Junho could be but then she recalled that Junho would always be dancing in the auditorium during his free time. Hyoyeon ran excitedly to the auditorium.

When she finally reached the auditorium, she was disappointed to not see Junho onstage.

“Hm. That’s weird,” she thought. She decided to look for Junho in the backstage instead.

She went around the stage and she heard Junho’s voice but her footsteps became tiptoes when she heard someone else’s voice—a girl’s.

“I’ll see you Friday night, then,” the girl’s voice said. Then Hyoyeon heard footsteps approaching her. Hyoyeon panicked but she heard Junho’s voice.

Hyoyeon heard Junho said, “Going already, Gyuri?”

“I don’t want to, Junho oppa,” the girl said with a cute voice, “but someone might catch us here.”

Hyoyeon heard the two people giggle but on the other hand, she was there hiding, holding back her tears, covering in fear that they would hear her sobs.

“Okay,” she heard Junho say but what he said next just tore Hyoyeon’ heart into a million pieces. “Wouldn’t you give me even a goodbye kiss?”

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

“Sorry, Tiffany.”

“I’m sorry, too. You had your reasons, Hyoyeon-ah.”

“At least we’d be studying in the same school, right?” Hyoyeon said.

Tiffany wiped her tears and blew her nose before answering, “Yes. Right.”

Hyoyeon giggled and said, “I hope we share the same room!”

“I’ll call my parents to do something about it,” Tiffany winked with her still wet eye.

“Jinjja? Jinjja?”

Tiffany nodded.

“Did you make it to the Broadway Section of the Dance Department?” Hyoyeon asked.

“I did!” Tiffany squealed.

“That’s my girl!”


Ouch. So many heartbreaks in this chapter. :’( But hey, I kept my promise, right? All eight of them (Hyoyeon, Tiffany, Gyuri, Jessica, Siwon, Junho, Donghae & Eunhyuk) appeared! YEYYY! ^,^We’re catching up to the present—one more chapter after this, I hope! Anyway, seems like many paths will cross in K.I.A., huh? Whadya think, readers? KAMSAHAMNIDA, YEOROBUN! *bows*

Since the storyline is kinda getting complicated already, you can aske me questions about this fanfic, arasseoyo? ^^v

CHECK-OUT THE CHARACTER CHART (by FreakingOutFTW of Intricate Simplicity - Graphics) ON THE FOREWORD! IT ROCKS \m/ 

FOR THE AH-MAZING CHAPTER BANNER, CREDITS TO Ahjussi & Chicken Graphic Shop's MusicChibi! ^.^


COMMENT REPLIES

@VampireKnightFan4Eva. thankssss~ I hope I can keep your interest 'till the end, HAHAHA! :D

@suzukayamato26. thanks, dear! ;) i hope you'll love this one!