Chapter 5

Against All Odds

“See you later at the assembly, Eunhyuk-ssi and Donghae-ssi!” Hyoyeon waved goodbye and headed back inside her room.

 

Inside their room..

“Tiffany?! Where are you?” Hyoyeon called out as she entered the room.

“I’m taking a shower! I’m almost done!”

When Tiffany got out of the bathroom, she caught sight of Hyoyeon sipping on her all-time favorite—Banana Milk. “Aigoo~ Uri Hyosookie looks like a cute baby panda sipping her Banana Milk like that!” Tiffany said.

“Yah! I like these, you know!”

“Arasseo!” Tiffany laughed at her friend.

“Hajiman, why didn’t you tell me about meeting those two?”

“It’s not..important,” Tiffany said.

“Oh well! It’s 6:30PM already. I’ll take a shower then we’ll eat dinner before going to the assembly, okay?”

“Okay! By the way, the new guys from the ‘Jerks Department’ seem surprisingly nice.”

“I think so, too. Too bad, they’re from the ‘Jerks Department,’” Hyoyeon reminded.

“Unfortunately, yes..”

Hyoyeon went and took a shower.

 

During dinner at 7:00PM..

Knock knock.

Knock knock.

“Is that ours?” asked Tiffany.

“Nope. Next door,” Hyoyeon pointed.

Knock knock.

“Aish! Aren’t they gonna answer their door?!” Tiffany complained.

“Don’t mind them, Miyoung-ah. Let’s eat.”

The knock that the girls heard was, indeed, from next door. A girl was knocking on Donghae and Eunhyuk’s room.

Donghae got the door, “Who is it?”

“Donghae oppa!”

“Park Gyuri-ssi,” Donghae coldly acknowledged the beaming girl.

“Is Eunhyuk oppa inside?” the girl snuck a peek inside.

“Yes, but we’re eating, Gyuri-ssi.”

Gyuri pouted, “Is that so?”

“Yeah,” Donghae raised his chin.

“Ok! Just tell Eunhyuk oppa that we can walk to the assembly together. Okay, Donghae oppa?” the girl flashed a smile.

“I will. Bye,” Donghae shut the door rudely at the girl’s face and headed back to the dining room. “’Oppa?’ ‘Oppa,’ my foot!” he uttered to himself in disgust to Gyuri.

“Who was that?” Eunhyuk asked.

“Park Gyuri,” Donghae uninterestedly said as he sat back and continued eating his dinner.

“Eh?! What did she say?!”

“That you can go to the assembly together,” Donghae sarcastically said with a cute voice (imitating Gyuri).

“Aish!” Eunhyuk whined.

“That girl gets to my nerves!”

“Yeah. Mine, too. And I really hate it when she puts her arms around me. She’s so clingy, touchy and feely! ACK! She reminds me of an octopus!”

“She’s All Style, too, though. Mad dancing skills make a girl hot,” Donghae said, referring to being classmates on the pilot section with Gyuri.

“Dancing skills? Check. Mad dancing skills? Forget it!” Eunhyuk said.

Donghae laughed and asked, “Jinjja?”

Eunhyuk nodded and said, “I may sound so mean saying this but it’s better for her to dance solo than to be with a dance partner.”

“Why? How does she partner? Fail?”

“EPIC FAIL!” Eunhyuk emphasized and they both laughed.

 

In the K.I.A. Main Auditorium..

“Where are the moderators? Why aren’t we starting yet?” Hyoyeon asked as she looked around.

Tiffany looked at her watch. “It’s already 7:42PM and we haven’t started yet,” she said.  She looked around as well but she saw Donghae and Eunhyuk entering, instead. “Hyoyeon-ah, they’re here,” she whispered to Hyoyeon.

Hyoyeon saw them but quickly held Tiffany’s hand when she saw Park Gyuri with the two boys.

The two girls kept quiet & pretended to do something else when they sensed the two boys approaching them with Gyuri following like a puppy.

“Good evening, neighbors!” Donghae greeted them.

Hyoyeon and Tiffany just looked at them without saying a word.

“Meet Park Gyuri, our classmate,” Eunhyuk introduced, “she also just moved in to our building, just beside our room.”

“It’s lonely, though. My roommate transferred schools and I have to live alone now,” Gyuri said, drawing attention to herself.

“Nice meeting you, Park Gyuri-ssi!” Hyoyeon stood up and bowed. “I’m Kim Hyoyeon!”

Tiffany can’t believe what she just witnessed. She was totally dumbfounded and her eyes widened.

Hyoyeon signaled, “Tiffany-ssi..? Are you not going to introduce yourself..?”

Tiffany stared at Hyoyeon for a while but Hyoyeon won’t look at her. Hyoyeon just kept smiling or perhaps faking a smile is a better description. Tiffany gave up and said (in English), “I’m Tiffany Hwang. It’s a pleasure!” Just like her friend, she faked a smile.

“You three..are friends?” Hyoyeon asked Donghae, Eunhyuk and Gyuri.

“Friends? Gyuri is just our classm--” Donghae got cut off midsentence.

“Neh!” Gyuri answered enthusiastically. She continued, “They are my oppas and they help me a lot in studies especially in dancing!”

“I see..” Tiffany smugly muttered.

Donghae and Eunhyuk just shook their heads in disbelief with what Gyuri just said, but the two girls did not see this.

Gyuri made things worse by slipping both her arms in either of the guys’, putting herself in between Eunhyuk and Donghae. She smiled at Tiffany and Hyoyeon who were speechless.

“We’ll take our seats there,” Donghae pointed.

Eunhyuk sighed, pissed off by Gyuri and walked away.

When the two girls were alone again..

“What just happened?!” Tiffany angrily asked Hyoyeon. “Why did you pretend to not know that Witch Gyuri?!”

“Sshhhh, Miyoung-ah. People are staring, ” Hyoyeon tried to calm her friend down, “I will explain.”

“You better!” Tiffany crossed her arms over her chest.

 

-FLASHBACK-

5 months ago..

Hyoyeon was walking along the hallways when someone grabbed her arm and dragged her to an empty classroom.

“Let go of me!” Hyoyeon took her arm back from Gyuri’s hold.

“What are you doing here in K.I.A.?” Gyuri hissed at Hyoyeon.

“I should ask you the same question. What are you doing here?”

“I dance, too. Remember?”

Hyoyeon scoffed, “Yeah, I remember. I taught you how to!”

Gyuri raised her hand to slap Hyoyeon but Hyoyeon caught it. “You fight now,” Gyuri chuckled.

“Afraid?!”

“But you don’t dance anymore,” Gyuri said.

“Why do you care?! People tend to have their own secrets!”

“So it seems,” Gyuri evilly smiled at Hyoyeon.

“Yeah. And it turns out, I know a secret about you, too. A scandal, to be more specific,” Hyoyeon fearlessly countered.

“Don’t you dare..” Gyuri threatened Hyoyeon. They both knew that Hyoyeon was talking about how Gyuri hooked up with another girl’s boyfriend, and that was Lee Junho—Hyoyeon’s ex-boyfriend.

“It’s a deal then,” Hyoyeon said.

“Mwoh?!” Gyuri did not understand.

Hyoyeon explained, “I keep your secret, you keep mine.”

“Deal,” Gyuri said.

“And from now on, let’s pretend that we never knew each other.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Gyuri said in between her teeth.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

“After saying that, she stormed out of the room and since that day, we never crossed each other’s paths again until tonight,” Hyoyeon explained.

“I’m proud of you,” Tiffany said. “I can’t believe you actually survived more than a minute around her!” she joked.

Hyoyeon laughed.

“She’s lucky I wasn’t there,” Tiffany said.

The two of them laughed.

“Before I forget,” Tiffany snapped out of it and continued, “Jessica wants to treat us to dinner.”

“Jinjja?”

Tiffany nodded.

“Yeyyy~ I’d finally get to meet her!” Hyoyeon cheered.

“I’m sure you’ll get along well,” Tiffany smiled then winked.

 

The assembly finished and all the students were informed of their tasks:

(1)    To pick a partner of the opposite from Dance Dep’s All Style Section I you’re from Music Dep’s Mixing & Production Section and vice versa.

(2)    To work on and prepare at least 2 minutes of a dance-and-music routine.

(3)    To collaborate with another pair (to form a group of 4 with 2 boys & 2 girls) for the Finale Auditions which will be held a week before the Showcase.

 

“Great. We get to partner with the heartbreakers, the witches and the jerks,” Tiffany muttered.

“But we don’t know any boys from the All Style Section,” Hyoyeon worried upon hearing their tasks.

“Maybe you do,” Eunhyuk popped out from the back of their seats with a naughty smile.

Hyoyeon giggled, “You scared me.”

“Right,” Tiffany uninterestedly said.

“Oh come on, you really don’t want to pair with us?” Donghae asked.

“Aniyo, it’s not like that!” Hyoyeon said.

“Well, Tiffany-ssi doesn’t seem so interested,” Eunhyuk pointed.

Hyoyeon looked at Tiffany then pouted, “Tiffany, pleeeeease~” she begged.

Tiffany sighed and started thinking.

“Looks like they don’t need us. Let’s go, Eunhyuk!” Donghae started walking away and Eunhyuk followed but..

“OKAY!” Tiffany yelled when she saw the two walk away.

The two stopped walking. “ASSA!” Eunhyuk yelled then he rushed beside Hyoyeon who was giggling & clapping.

Donghae mischievously smiled when he heard Tiffany. He turned around and moved closer to Tiffany. “What did you say?” he asked.

Tiffany stared at the ground and whispered, “I said ‘okay’.”

“Mwoh?! I didn’t hear what you sa—“

“I SAID ‘OKAY!’ OKAY?! OKAY! WE NEED YOUR HELP! DO YOU HEAR ME NOW!” Tiffany snapped at Donghae.

“Loud and clear!” Donghae answered with that mischievous smile still painted on his face.

“Looks like we now have our partners!” Eunhyuk happily said while pointing to Hyoyeon.

“Yeah!” Hyoyeon said. She did a high five with Eunhyuk.

“What?! No fair!” Tiffany protested.

“You’re stuck with me, it seems..” Donghae wiggled his eyebrows.

“Whatever.”

The four people decided to walk together back to their rooms & they exchanged numbers along the way. When they were finally in front of their doors..

“Good night, Tiffany-ssi! Chill and relax, okay?” Eunhyuk waved.

Tiffany nodded, “Good night.”

“Good night, blondie!” Eunhyuk turned to Hyoyeon.

Hyoyeon laughed & said, “Good night, Eunhyuk-ssi!” She turned to Donghae and said, “Good night to you, too, Donghae-ssi!”

“Neh, good night, Hyoyeon-ssi! Remind your friend to smile, okay?”

Tiffany glared at Donghae and sarcastically said, “Sweet dreams, Donghae-ssi!” She went inside and so did Donghae, leaving Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk.

“Aigoo, those two..” Eunhyuk scratched the back of his head.

“It’s cute, though,” Hyoyeon said.

Eunhyuk looked at Hyoyeon and said, “ Yeah, it is..it is..cute..”

Hyoyeon blushed and quickly changed the topic, “So when do we start?” She was referring to the Showcase.

“Already?!” Eunhyuk laughed and continued, “Let’s get some sleep first & talk about it tomorrow, arasseo?”

“Neh, good night again, Eunhyuk-ssi!” Hyoyeon giggled.

“Good night,” Eunhyuk replied but neither one of them went inside.

“Yeah..Sweat dreams..”

“You, too.. Sweet dreams..”

“Yah! Let’s go inside already!” Hyoyeon laughed.

“I think we should! Bye!”

The two finally decided to really go inside.

 

Lying in their beds..

“Hyosookie~ Are you asleep already?” Tiffany whispered.

“No, waeyo?”

“Nothing..”

“I don’t believe you. Tell me,” Hyoyeon whispered.

“I can’t believe we’re really doing this..”

“Doing what?”

“The partnering and stuff with the jerks,” Tiffany sighed.

“Let’s get used to it. Besides, you told me that they seem nice, didn’t you?” Hyoyeon reminded Tiffany.

 

-FLASHBACK-

“Oh well! It’s 6:30PM already. I’ll take a shower then we’ll eat dinner before going to the assembly, okay?” Hyoyeon said.

“Okay! By the way, the new guys from the ‘Jerks Department’ seem surprisingly nice,” Tiffany said.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

 

Meanwhile, on the other side of the wall..

“Yah, monkey! Are you still awake?” Donghae whispered.

“Monkey, my !”

Donghae laughed and said, “You’re obviously awake.”

“What do you want?” Eunhyuk asked.

“Never mind. Nothing..”

“Are you bipolar or what?!”

“I’m not! But..isn’t this great?” Donghae asked.

“What is?”

“The two girls..”

“Yeah, this is great,” Eunhyuk sighed.

“Yah! What’s up with the sigh?!”

“Nothing,” Eunhyuk lied.

“Geojitmal! Liar!” Donghae accused.

“Go to sleep!”


Well, oh, well. Park Gyuri enters the scene. What do you think about her? Anyway, HyoHyuk and HaeFany paired up! HAHAHA! Yeyyy~ :)) Thanks for the support, readers!

FOR THE AH-MAZING CHAPTER BANNER, CREDITS TO Ahjussi & Chicken Graphic Shop's MusicChibi! ^.^


COMMENT REPLIES

@VampireKnightFan4Eva. aigoo~ you don't seem to be tired from giving me so many compliments, neh? i hope you love this chapter, too.. thanks for that, though! :))

@fawbnerdy05. hmmm.. i sense a HaeFany Shipper here.. :D you're in for treatsss here and in the future chapters, then! ;)

@HeeSicaLin. your comment literally made me laugh Kekeke~ :D enjoy!