Epiphany

Complicated Dreams

-J's Pov-

 

The second I woke up this morning, I got into my normal routine. I skated for half an hour, and I made breakfast before the members woke up. As that was taken care of, I started cleaning around the living room, because they realy know how to make a mess. I was only finishing sweeping up the floor when I heard the television flicker on. That confused me, because it obviously wasn't me who turned the television on. When I turned, it was none other than Onew, who threw himself onto the couch. They had late schedules today, so I'd have to be careful not to disturb them. One by one, the other members joined Onew on the couch, and I stared at them- didn't they want breakfast?

As if they read my mind, the five of them jumped up from the couch and ran to the kitchen, returning with food. And then, they threw themselves back onto the couch and watched television while eating. Onew flipped through a lot of channels, and I stopped paying attention to what they were doing.

"Can't get you out of my head..." those lyrics from some song caught my attention. I dropped the broom and stared at the television, but Onew had already changed it and was looking at me as if I just gave him a heart attack. I snatched the remote from him and turned back to the song. Then, I could feel my eyes pop open and my jaw went slack as I was absorbed into the song. When it ended, I felt my heart break.

"Why you end?" I asked the television angrily. Finally, I find a song I like, and it ends. A thought popped into my head as I turned back to my bosses, who seemed more than shocked to see my reaction; "Who's song is that?"

"Ours..." Key trailed off; "Why?"

"Really?" I was excited now, they wrote a song which I really enjoyed; "What's the name of the song?"

"Stranger..." Jonghyun answered hesitantly.

I threw the remote back at Onew and ran to my room to get my laptop, which I propped on the dining table. Immediately, I went to Youtube and looked for that song. When it started playing, I could feel I was in perfect bliss. I mean seriously, I never listen to music, but this one song was enough to change my whole opinion about music. I was actually dancing as I got back to cleaning.

"You really like it?" That was Taemin's excited voice.

"Are you kidding me?" I asked him; "This is the first song I've ever liked in years."

"This is kind of strange..." Minho laughed uncertainly.

"Don't worry, just give me a day, I'll get over it soon." I told him as I skipped off to clean their rooms, the laptop in my arms, still playing Stranger.

Suddenly, I thought of using it as a song for my next Skateboarding demo. I smiled at the idea as I cleaned out the bedrooms and turned off the laptop, returning to the living room. The remote was laying on the table, abandoned, as the guys stared at the television depressed. I smirked, and took the remote, switching through the channels. It landed on a skating channel, and I was about to change it, when I heard the very song I was addicted to being played while someone was speeding down the ramp.

"NO! He stole my idea!" I said, horrorstruck; "Now I have to find a new song for the demo." I kept clicking away and landed on a music video. I looked at the members, and at the guys on the music video- it was them. The song was also very catchy and I found myself lost in the lyrics; "This song! I'll use this song!"

"You want to use Lucifer?" I heard someone laugh. It was Onew.

"Nice song." I said as I stared at the video. I took my cell phone and dialed Papa.

Papa- Yo, this you, J Bear?

Me- Why you calling me J Bear? Anyway, watch this music video-

Papa- You're listening to music?

Me- Yeah, I'm allowed to listen to music jerk. As I was saying, watch Lucifer by... SHINee, I think. we should use it for the next Demo.

Papa- The closest Demo is friday.

Me- There's a Demo friday? Why didn't you tell me earlier?

Papa- Because you're always working for those Pixies.

Me- They're not Pixies, they're really talented performers.

Papa burst into laughter on the other line- J, you've lost it hun. Whatever, I'll watch the video, you coming to the Demo?

Me- Yeah, I'm coming. Be sure to spread the word.

I turned back to my bosses, who was staring at me strangely. I could feel my eyebrows raise; "What'd I do?"

"Since when do you like using our music for Demos?" Onew asked me skeptically.

"And since when did you start defending us?" Key asked, even more skeptically.

"Honestly, I like you, and your music." I shrugged as I decided I had fangirled enough for one day. I was beginning to turn the television off when a certain video clip played on the Skateboarding channel. I growled under my breath as I viewed Soeul Ripper's only rival team go on and on about how they'd thrash me at the next Demo they see me; "Pathetic. They always say they'll beat me, and when I loose they say it was because I went around sleeping with the judges."

"Who are they?" Jonghyun asked, his curiousity sparking.

"That's Flip." I answered with a smirk.

"There seems to be a lot of bad blood between your two groups." Minho noted as the thrashing got worse and worse.

"That's because their jerk of a leader and I used to go out." I answered, resulting in them staring at me with wide-eyed shocked expressions. I smiled bitterly; "He was distracting me too much and my carelessness almost cost me a leg. I had to let him go. Anyway, I have to get back to work."

"Wait, J." Key suddenly stopped me; "Have you ever heard Exo's music?"

"Who's Exo?" I asked in return.

"You don't know your own brother's group name?" Jonghyun asked, jaw dropped. He took the television remote from me and a DVR recording, and suddenly, I was watching an odd music video of a large amount of people, which transitioned into just 6 people. I could see my brother perfectly. I was so surprised, watching my brother dance the way he was dancing. I smiled, without knowing.

"Is it good?" Minho chuckled.

I could hardly hear him, though, with all the thoughts in my head. I remember when we were young, and he bought me my first skateboard, and in return I helped him save up for music lessons, because mom and dad really didn't want him to learn anything that had to do with music. I remember the hardships we went through when they died, and we were forced to live with an aunt. Then, Kris suddenly decides to move to Korea, and take me with him, before he abandoned me and disappear to a place I didn't understand about until now. Normal people would be mad, but, I understand his reasoning. He's out there living his dream, the way I'm living mine. He helped me in more ways than one. Because of him, I met my crew, and became a well known skater. Kris truly is the best brother ever.

"Do you have Kris' cell phone number?" I asked so quietly, I could hardly even hear myself.

"Sure." Taemin said. I could hear the warmth in his tone. He came over to me, and showed me the phone number which belonged to Kris.

I took out my own cell phone and dialed the number carefully as to not make any mistakes. Just when I was about to press the call button, I felt hesitant. Did I even have the right to call him, anymore? Who knows what harsh things he went through during the years we were separated, and I only thought about how selfish he could have been to forget me.

Then, another finger pressed the call button. Wide-eyed, I looked up at Key, who smiled down at me. I quickly put the phone to my ear, and began to walk to my room.

"You can stay here, we don't mind." Jonghyun said. I nodded and took a seat on the farthest edge of the sofa away from them.

Kris- Hello?

Me- Oppa.

Kris- Oppa? Angie! Is that you?

Me- Neh, Oppa, it's me.

Kris- What is it Angie? Is something wrong? I'm kind of in the middle of dance practice.

Me- No, Oppa, I just wanted to say something.

Kris- Say what, Angie?

Me- Oppa, I'm sorry I haven't been able to support you.

Kris sighed- Hey, can we have dinner together tonight?

Me- Tonight? I don't-

Key suddenly nudged me and stole the phone from me.

"Tonight?

"Yeah, it's me.

"Just the two of you?

"Of course, what time?

"6:30?

"Okay, she'll be ready, we'll bring her to the building with us."

By the time I had my phone back, the entire conversation was over.

Kris- I'll meet you later, okay?

Me- Neh, Oppa.

Kris- I'll see you later. Cheer up, okay? You've never been pretty when you were sad.

I smiled at that- Ara, Oppa. Go back to practice, don't get into trouble because of me!

I hung up on him, and stared down at my phone. A dinner with my Oppa, how scary.