Dream Near the Sea

Framed

Donghae blinked his eyes. He was floating in air, high above the waters. If he stopped flying, there was a good chance that he would drown and sink inside the ocean. He stared at his surroundings, examining every inch of it. He figured he was at a beach since the grainy, yellow sand was only a few miles away from him. However, he slowly widened his eyes when he realized that the sand was in a beautiful shade of grey. He stare down, and noticed that the ocean was as black as the night. 

"Donghae," a voice whispered softly. He found himself on the beach, his feet touching the sizzling sand. He looked up and saw a figure wearing a big sun hat. Donghae was amazed how detailed he could see the hat was. There was a pure, white ribbon around the hat, and it was weaved with the finest and strongest straws. Donghae reached to touch it, but brought his hand back to his side when the figure turned around. He could only see a smile, for the hat covered the woman's eyes and nose.

"Donghae!" the woman exclaimed happily. Donghae frowned, and stared at the woman. Did he know her? She seemed awfully familiar. She even seemed to know him. She reached to touch her, except the salty breeze had swapped her away from his reach. Donghae turned to the ocean, following the scattered dust. The dust quickly turned back to the woman, and she was now walking on the ocean.

Wait, walking?

Ah, this is a dream, Donghae thought. He inhaled the salty air, and coughed when he smelled the strong scent of smoke. Covering his nose with one hand, he reached in his pocket and found a small pocket knife. Slightly nodding his head, he raised the knife and took a deep breath. 

 

"It's a dream!" Donghae yelled. He wiped away his drool and scrambled on his feet. He realized that he was not lying down on his bed, and was on the comfortable seat in his base. He scanned around the room, grabbing a nearby gun. He scanned around the room with his hawk-like eyes, and cautiously put down his gun to the side. He looked at his arm where he had tried to cut himself in the dream. There was a bloody scar mocking Donghae for slicing his own flesh in real life. Donghae sighed and went to a water fountain. He quickly washed away the blood, which was already drying up. 

After rinsing out the blood, he grabbed a piece of cloth and wrapped it around his wound. He stopped for a moment, and sniffed the air. He glanced to his left, and groaned. 

"Oh, no!" Donghae cried. "Don't burn again!"

His computer was frying up, and a small, grey cloud of smoke arose from the computer. Donghae clenched his teeth and began to grab his tools to fix his computer. He really couldn't wait until Jaejoong came.

Possibly Jaejoong could buy me a new computer, Donghae thought, smirking.

 

Tiffany stared out her window and watched the Lab Coat's vans drive away from their section. The tall, black gates opened at one of the Blue Cop's command, and the vehicles disappeared in the horizon. A few people had came out and cheered once the gates had closed, but were soon beaten up by several Blue Cops for disrespecting the Lab Coats. She heaved a sigh and angrily glared at the gates.

At that moment, there was a soft knock on the door. Tiffany turned her head and stiffened up when she suspecting who was about to enter.

"Come in," Tiffany called coldly. As she had expected, Mrs. Hwang had entered the room. Her mother smiled at her gently, and walked up to her daughter.

"Sweetie, it's time," Mrs. Hwang whispered. Tiffany groaned and rolled her eyes.

"Mom, please? I told you, anything about my marriage with Siwon is not supposed heard or said in this room. I heard that, and you said it," Tiffany muttered, crossing her arms. Mrs. Hwang smiled weakly at Tiffany and began to comb her hair with her fingers. They both looked their reflection in Tiffany's large mirror.

"We can't do anything about this, darling. It's the Lab Coat's decision for us," Mrs. Hwang replied. 

"Can't I choose who to marry? I don't even like him," Tiffany grunted. 

"Unfortunately, this world is quite unfair. It's also a rule that we must keep. The Lab Coats choose everything for us: our classes, our friends, our lovers, and most importantly, our destiny."

"Well, destiny or whatnot, I don't want to marry him. He's nothing special compared to other guys," Tiffany said.

"You just don't like him because he's the guy Yoona loves," Mrs. Hwang pointed out. Tiffany blushed in embarrassment and hid her face under her hair. "Unfortunately, the Lab Coat has chosen a different man for Yoona. Who knows, maybe she'll be better off with a better man than Siwon."

"But why do I have to get married now? Why can't it be later when I actually met a couple of guys?"

"Love is forbidden in this world, sweetie. You can't meet any guy. It'll, unfortunately, affect your feelings towards your destined mate." Tiffany kept quiet, for she had nothing else to say. Knowing that Tiffany was defeated, her mother gave her a small smile. She stopped combing Tiffany's smooth, long hair and heaved a sigh. "I'll be downstairs-"

"Mom, when you met Dad, did you love him or did the Lab Coats choose for you?" Tiffany asked, turning to face her mother. Her mother stared at herself in the mirror, and let out another heavy sigh. She walked to the door, stopped, and turned to her daughter.

"Back when it was my age, we had the decision to choose who we would cherish in our life. The world changes, darling. Sometimes, it changes a lot," Mrs. Hwang breathed. Mrs. Hwang left the room, giving Tiffany some time to think. Tiffany stared at herself in the mirror, then dug in her drawer to find a small notebook. She opened the notebook to another clean page and began to scribble some words down.

Day 35: Taking a wedding shoot with Siwon. Still do not like him.

She closed her notebook, stuffed it in her drawer, and quickly ran downstairs to get ready for her photo shoot with her fiancé, Choi Siwon.

 

Yoona didn't know how long it had been, but she estimated that she was lying on the bed for quite some time. She knew that something was happening to her, but her mind wouldn't focus on her problem. Instead, it would focus on a mysterious voice in her head. She was a hundred percent sure that the voice wasn't the voice in her head, but a real voice. It was the type of voice that sounded clear and humane, which freaked Yoona out a lot. The voice would ask questions regarding to her memory, and every time she got a question right, she would feel an extremely painful shock and something would slip inside . The object that she would swallow was soft and round, like the pills she would eat when she was sick. Were these pills, or were these not? 

Did you ever see the bloody silk someone had given you? a voice asked.

Yes, Yoona answered honestly. Although she wanted to lie, something was preventing her from lying. A sudden shock stabbed her nervous system, and another pill-like object went inside .

Do you remember how the day was repeated after the exam day? the same voice questioned.

Yes, Yoona replied. Another painful shock stunned her body. The object slipped through and she unconsciously gulped it. Her lips were getting dry, and she felt like her brain was splitting into two pieces.

Who was the person who gave you all this useless information? the voice inquired. Yoona, for some strange reason, could not reply. She tried to wet her lips, but she couldn't move. The answer was stuck in , and even if Yoona tried to force it out, silence would only echo in the room. Yoona? Yoona, why aren't you replying?

"Her brain is fried up!" someone shouted.

What? How? the voice roared. 

"Sir, we have to fix this up-"

I asked how! This machine never failed us until now. What happened? the voice yelled.

"We don't know! There's something wrong-"

A third voice spoke up. "Sir, someone broke inside! We must evacuate this building immediately!"

After a few minutes, Yoona heard silence. The voices were gone, and she finally felt relaxed. She knew she was on the bed, and she knew that her eyes were still closed. When she heard footsteps, she tried to tense up. 

"Who knew that viruses could easily make people think that your brain can fry up?" A familiar voice chuckled. "You owe me big time, Im Yoona."