The issue with Makeup

Cross-Dress to Impress

Most days his father would leave home early for work, but today was the rare occasion his father had the day off, which meant that Taemin couldn’t leave his place in his sister’s clothes.

Taemin stepped out of the public washroom, eyeing his outfit with slight curiosity. He was wearing a black cotton vest over his white dress shirt, the top of a navy blue tie peaking from underneath the collar of the vest. The navy blue skirt stopped just above his knees, leaving about an inch of skin as the rest of his legs were covered with a pair of black knee-high socks.

It was really airy wearing a skirt, and his legs had never felt so bare. At least he was wearing really long socks, if that helped at all.

I wonder if I look pretty.

The thought was random, but odd as it was, it seemed to match the observations of the males nearby.

“That girl’s cute! What was she doing in the boys’ washroom?”

 


 

“There you are! Holy, you guys still do look alike.” Taemin looked over to see another student in uniform approaching him. His hair was perfectly straightened, his bangs cutting off to the side with a touch of colored highlights in his brown hair.

“Hey. Key right?”

“Yeah.” Key paused, looking the younger boy over. “That isn’t your real hair is it?”

Taemin snorted. “No, my hair isn’t this long.”

Because of the wig Soomin had gotten for him, his “hair” now fell just past his shoulders, the same length as his sister’s. Taemin looked up to see Key giving him a once over, obviously checking to make sure he looked like a girl.

“So everything’s good. Except your face.” Taemin raised his brows at the comment as Key continued. “No matter how much you guys look alike, you’re still fraternal twins, thus at closer inspection. You still look like a guy.”

Taemin played with his hair, still unaccustomed to its long length. “Uh, well. I can’t really do anything about that.”

When Taemin looked back up, he found Key giving him a tiny smile, his eyes flashing mischievously. “You do know we haven’t applied the makeup right?”

 

 



“Taemin, stop moving.”

“Sorry, I can’t help it. You’re inches from my face holding a pencil thing that could poke my eye out any minute now. How much of that stuff are you putting on anyway?”

Key backed up, bringing his hand down to his lap and sighed out loud. “You guys even have the same mannerism,” he commented.

Taemin couldn’t help sighing himself as he shook his head and resumed his still position in front of the diva. Key approached him again, hand with pencil poised by his eye.

“Should I even ask how you know how to put this stuff on?” Taemin asked as he tried not to blink.

Key’s eyes briefly flicked down at him before resuming his focus on the task at hand. “I just know the basics. Tid-bits of useful information.”

“Useful for what?”

“Useful, for times like these.” Key backed up, smiling to himself as he admired his finished work.

“How much did you put on?” Taemin groaned quietly as he relaxed.

“Just touches. Your sister doesn’t wear much makeup either, if any. This is just so you look more feminine. Oh, and don’t rub your eyes.”

Taemin nodded absently as he saw Key narrow his eyes. “What?”

“Should I be plucking your eyebrows too?”

Taemin’s eyes widened at the suggestion. “No!” he spouted automatically.

Key merely shrugged. “Alright, I guess we can trust your bangs to hide them.”

“Oh!”

Taemin and Key both turned at the sound of the newcomer. Class had yet to start, and the duo, or Key, had found an unoccupied space underneath the stairwell because the washrooms had been out of the question. The fact that Key was a guy, and Taemin was supposed to be a girl, didn’t work with the former needing to apply makeup on the latter.

“Key, Soomin. Hey. Um, I’ll leave you guys alone.” The girl seemed a little flustered as she talked. “I’ll see you guys in class!” she said as she turned around and disappeared.

Key sighed and shook his head. “Still as shy as ever.”

“Who was that?” Taemin asked as he grabbed his bag.

“Chohee. Our, or Soomin’s other close friend. The only reason she could be my friend is the fact that Soo and I have been friends since forever,” Key answered as he grabbed his own bag off the ground. “She’s practically mute in front of boys, it took her forever to even say more than three words to me. Even now our conversations are still awkward.”

They both moved away from the staircase as Taemin followed Key down the hall. “Will she notice?”

“Dunno. We’ll have to use that cold excuse to keep people from staying near you.” He suddenly turned around, a smirk playing on his lips. “If you think she’s focusing too much on you, just mention guys, and she’ll go into timid mode.”

“Chohee?”

“Yeah. Here we are. Don’t forget to cough.”

Key walked into a classroom already half-filled with students. Taemin followed him in, his eyes on Key’s back as he tried to attract the least attention as possible. With his mind distracted, Taemin tripped and stumbled over someone’s bag and instinctively reached for something, anything to keep from falling. That anything ended up being someone’s arm, and somehow included a hand grasping his own elbow as Taemin regained his balance.

“Hey Soomin, you alright?”

Taemin looked up to see that he’d grabbed onto another boy’s arm, that same boy grasping his to steady him. The male student was slightly taller than him, and Taemin couldn’t help but notice that his face was made for smiling, something he was doing at that very moment. Taemin also noticed that the boy looked familiar- most likely from the photo in Soomin’s book, but Taemin had obviously not studied those names hard enough to actually remember.

“Yeah. Um, thanks,” Taemin said, his voice light, keeping in mind that he was supposed to be his sister.

“No problem,” the boy replied but before he could continue, Key stepped in, wearing his own smile.

“Soomin, you alright? We should get to our desks, class is about to start. Oh by the way, are you feeling any better? You mentioned getting that cold over the weekend right?”

Taemin nodded and faked a tiny cough. “I’m alright. Hopefully it’s not bad.”

Taemin turned to hear students shuffling to their desks as their teacher walked in, and he quickly sat down in the seat Key had gestured to. Taemin was glad that like him, Soomin sat near the back of the class. From the expressions from the rest of the class as they took to their seats, it seemed that no one had caught on, and that most had heard his comment about being sick.

Taemin relaxed a little bit in his chair as he tried to keep his laziness at bay and focus on the teacher. But he was a tad surprised. He had no idea that dressed as is, he could still pass as a girl.


[a/]: Taemin and Soomin are basically the same height. I'm sure any subtle differences there would be overlooked (but to make sure - both are shorter than Jjong - he's taller in this fic remember? LoL)
Yeah Soomin's definitly more straight forward then her brother. Key and Onew will have roles here (as you can see) and there will be a splash of Suju here and there =D

Thanks for reading and subscribing! I'm glad you guys like the story so far =]