Who is he and why is he looking at me?

Cross-Dress to Impress

Her mother was a little confused when she left the house in her regular clothes, and Soomin simply pretended not to hear the curious inquiry as she raced off to school. She had worked on a few things during the weekend; obtaining a wig and fake eyebrows, to cover her nicely defined ones. Although her voice was never high to begin with, she made sure she could speak normally at a slightly lower pitch, easily fooling her mother into thinking Taemin was still over at their house.

Soomin slipped into the washroom in the mall to switch into her brother’s clothes. She wore a cotton bra to strap down her s, and played down the more feminine features on her face with a little bit of makeup, finishing off the transformation with a wig.

Soomin stepped out of the washroom, completely oblivious to the comments coming from several females nearby.

“Holy , that boy’s kinda hot. But why was he in the girls’ washroom?”



Soomin stepped off the bus and stared at the school, her eyes widening as she took in her surroundings. She was in her brother’s uniform: black blazer with the school crest over a white dress shirt and a black tie and matching trousers.

She walked around, staring at everything in awe. This is where Choi Minho goes to school. Minho goes to school here. As she wandered aimlessly around the grounds, admiring anything and everything, Soomin noticed a few of the students staring oddly at her.

Oops. I probably should look like I belong… Hopefully I wasn’t acting too weird, just a little nervous. They must be Taemin’s friends – Gotta act like I know them.

“Hey guys… What’s poppin’?”

The two students in question stared at her blankly, and Soomin was sure she heard something along the lines of – “crazier than he looks…”

Soomin blinked in confusion as they left but she shrugged it off and headed towards the school. Going by pure memorization of the floor plan, she found her designated class and slowly walked in.

“I sit near the back. Second last seat on the left.”
“That’s it?” she asked her brother. “No names, no nothing?”
“Nope. Oh…Cho Kyuhyun sits in front of me.”

Soomin didn’t miss the hushed whispers and the occasional looks as she found her way to Taemin’s seat, putting her bag aside and sitting down. Although there was still a good amount of casual chatter going on around her, Soomin couldn’t help but feel as if most of it was about her, or, about Taemin.

No way... Am I busted already? What the hell is everyone whispering about? Damn it Taemin, what have you gotten me into?

“Taemin, you’re here.”

She looked up to see one of the students making his way over, seating himself in the desk in front of her. This must be Cho Kyuhyun, she thought as she braced herself for her first confrontation as her brother.

“Hey, Kyuhyun.”

“Hey. I’m surprised you’re so relaxed.”

“Relaxed?” she asked hesitantly.

”Yeah,” Kyuhyun replied, a little worried. “Everyone’s buzzing about how Jonghyun is going to kick your .”

“Who—”

“You have a lot of guts showing up to class today.”

Soomin looked over to see a male figure by the doorway, his blazer ed, his uniform lacking a tie. His facial features were sharp and his hair was brown, the tips dyed blonde and styled in a way that made Soomin wonder if this school was famous for housing models. From the way most of the class had quieted and were looking his way, Soomin guessed that he was the one Kyuhyun had just mentioned.

“You’ve got a backbone, I’ll give you that,” he commented casually. “You must be feeling kinda cocky since you beat on Heechul, but he’s as girly as you Taemin, and this ain’t no catfight.”

He dropped his bag on a desk nearby as he walked over, his eyes never leaving hers and Soomin almost thought he’d see through her disguise, but that thought was the least of her worries.

“You really think you’re man enough to start something with me?” he asked dangerously as he leaned towards her.

Before she could answer, he pushed her table roughly sideways, sending her sprawling into the desks beside her. She only started to stumble upright before his foot caught her stomach, sending her backwards into another set of tables.

“, someone call the teacher.”

Throughout the scuffle, Soomin was vaguely aware of her hair, and she was glad that she had paid extra careful when she had put the wig on, pinning it down to keep it in place.

“Call the teacher and I swear I’ll do you in worst than him.”

Soomin shielded her face as a desk was pushed her way, colliding roughly into her before falling over on its side. Her hands were scratched and she felt the various bruises on her limbs, not to mention the one that was starting to form on her cheek.

And that was when she heard it. Among all the voices, she heard someone call out his name.

“Minho!”

“Minho, do something! Dude, he’ll listen to you.”

“Hey Jonghyun, that’s enough.”
                                                                                                                            
“What Minho, playing hero again?”

“You’re gonna get suspended if you keep this up Jjong.”

“Whatever, I couldn’t care less. That sissy was practically asking for it.”

“Anyway, you alright kid? Someone take him to the nurse’s office, before Jjong decides to go for another round.”

Soomin was still on the floor surrounded by overturned desks and chairs, her uniform disheveled and out of sorts. She felt the pain seeping up from multiple spots on her arms and legs and she was almost surprised that there wasn’t any blood, or at least she hoped there wasn’t. Her right cheekbone ached from contacting who knows what during the fray, and she could already imagine the pink and purple color that was probably appearing at the spot. And that was how Minho first laid eyes on her.

So much for first impressions.

“, wanna go again?”

They both turned in her direction, surprised at the words that had come out of . The rest of the class was silent, the student bystanders in a similar state of surprise at her remark.

“Looks like I didn’t kick you hard enough, you’re still lively enough to talk,” Jonghyun replied with a smirk from his spot by Minho.

Sure, it was definitely the worst start to her first day Soomin could have ever imagined. Bruised and beaten was not something she was going for, especially in front of him. But one thing was for sure, she had pulled it off.

Everyone thought she was Taemin.


[a/n]: How realistic are two fraternal twins being that identical? No idea, but work with me here, it’ll be much more fun if you do. And let’s pretend Jonghyun is (almost) as tall as Minho, just for the story, LoL.

Thank you for the comments! ^^