Chapter 8 – Deceptions, Deceit and Dissension (PART 1)

Gates of the Zodiac

 

 

 

 

The night was cold and full of gentle noises. The rustling of fabric, the quiet singing of insects, and the rustling of windswept leaves kept the night alive. With their hypnotic gentle sounds, they kept the deafening silence at bay. It was a night where a peaceful sleep can be easily attained with the almost inaudible noises acting as a soothing lullaby for the sleep deprived.  In a certain room however - in a certain guild dorm, two people were having trouble sleeping. One was Hangeng who kept turning and tossing around the bed all the while ruffling his sheets and dropping his beddings on the floor. His side of the room was to say the least - a mini war zone. His red haired bedroom companion on the other hand kept his side pristinely neat and kept his hands neatly folded on his chest as he balanced a folded damp cloth on top of his eye a socket to sooth his tired eyes from the day's strenuous reading. Though lying perfectly motionless, he was awake and bothered by Hangeng's restlesness. It’s always ying and yang with these two, for the people around the both of them it’s a small wonder how they could actually get along. Somehow and someway though, the boys make it work - barely.

As the night slowly aged and as the moon waned, the two kept up with the uneasy tension of the sleepless room. Both unable to sink in to quiet oblivion, they kept with their quiet façade pretending that what bothered them into a sleepless night did not exist.  For the red haired man, it wasn’t the ruffling noises or the nightly sounds that slowly drew the lines forming on his forehead. Living as a single child in a huge manor, it was the silence that discomforted him. He would make it a point to leave his television on or his IPod docked and playing to provide background noises. There was this one incident in the past during his early teenage years, when he forgot to plug the power adaptor of his IPod which caused it’s battery to die down in the middle of night. As ridiculous at it may sound, it was the silence that woke him that night. Looking around his pitch black bedroom, he cursed himself for the thick blinds that he had instructed to be installed in the past as he raged about how the sun rays hits his face and ruins his sleep during early mornings.  Throughout that night he started to hear footfalls, thumps and sometimes voices whispering to him as he shivered underneath his blankets. It was from that night on that he made sure to check everything before going to sleep and even leave his cell phone underneath his pillow as a backup.

So what did keep Heechul awake if not for the gentle sounds around him? Well, the sounds of restlessness he can handle, but as Hangeng’s stomach erupted in to a long hungry growl for an nth time, he sat up from his bed much like Dracula would from his coffin. The damp cloth fell to his lap as he rose from his lying position, which he deftly turned in to a flying projectile a second after rising. The damp cloth flew across the room missing its intended target and smacked at the wall producing a loud wet cracking sound.

“Contain that beast for god’s sakes! It’s snarling at me.” Heechul half shouted half whispered at his famished roommate. The beast tamer turned sluggishly towards his raging roommate expecting the usual rages that the other goes in to. He had been expecting this outburst all throughout the night, what surprised him the most was the duration it took for Heechul to come in to this very reaction. By this time he has categorized Heechul’s moods. Firstly was his cool indifferent look, usually reserved for most of the people around him. That’s why most people dubbed him the ice princess in their batch. Second is the first’s total contrary, his current mood. Fiery soul burning pissed, usual seen by the people that ticked him off, which more often than not is usually Hangeng.

“Aiyo are you even listening to me?” Heechul stands up and waves his hands in front of the other, incensed that his raging did not evoke anything from the other. He slumps back at his bed and crosses his arms in front of him.

There, the third mood, the childish petulant look. Can usually be seen when Heechul really wants something which usually is attention from the people around him. What Heechul did not notice to Hangeng’s surprise is how Heechul naturally takes hold of the room’s attention. Be it through his looks, his actions and his words, he does not need to invite attention, attention usually comes to him. This very trait can be very exhausting to deal with, some days it could tire out even the most introverted and passive partner to be paired with Heechul. Hangeng from time to time gets fed up of being referred to as ‘Heechul’s quiet partner’ by their peers.

Hangeng just stares as the other’s mouth opens and closes while moving around the room looking for something to wear, never really hearing and processing what the other was going on about. It took a few moments for Hangeng to realize that the other was preparing to leave the room in the middle of the night.

“Where are you going?” Hangeng asks as his wits slowly catches up to him.

“Aiyo, you haven’t been listening to what I have been saying. It’s like the beast inside your stomach not only eats the food that you eat, but your brain as well.” Heechul rants as he ties his sleeping robe close. He then turns to the dazed person lying on the bed. “Let me repeat what I said. We are going out of this room to sneak towards the kitchens and get that beast that you call your stomach sated. Yes I fully understand that we aren’t allowed outside our living quarters in the middle of the night, but as I have countered a while ago which you kindly took no apparent notice of as you gazed at blank space -” Heechul stops for a short moment to glare at the other to show how he absolutely hated being ignored. “As I was saying, tomorrow is the second test. We can’t be at half-capacity. The way I see it, the only way the both of us could get some sleep is if you ate. Now put this on and let’s go.” Heechul threw an article of clothing towards the other leaving no room for Hangeng to discount anything that he said.

After Heechul and Hangeng poked their heads out in to the corridors to check if the coast was clear, they left their room to venture the dark halls in search for food. For the most part the halls and corridors of the guild were empty as they slowly made their way out of the living quarter’s wing. As they ventured deeper in to the main halls they had to rely more on their sense of hearing rather than sight. Some of the lighted scones attached to the walls in regular interval had their flames out leaving dark areas for them to hide in as they hear footsteps echoing throughout the long corridors. It was hard and confusing to navigate through the dark halls. You’d think it would be easy after living at the dorms for almost 2 weeks now, but as they made their way through halls that looked all too similar with each, other they soon lost their bearings. They were now completely and utterly lost.

“Where exactly are we going? It’s like a huge maze at night.” Hangeng whispered to the other’s ear as they ducked in an unlighted alcove. “Do you even know where the kitchens are? Do you even know where we are now? I told you this was a bad idea. Let’s head back.” He adds as he spoke nervously.

 



“Oh shut up, we wouldn’t have needed to come out of our room if your stomach knew how to be quiet. It’s obvious that the kitchens would be near or somehow connected to the dining hall and besides, we can’t turn back now. We’ve come too far.” Heechul whispered as he poked his head out of the alcove only to return it quickly as he heard someone approaching. He squeezed Hangeng’s arm as a sign to be quiet and that someone was approaching. 

They heard a pair of feet shuffling towards them, with each step the sound grew louder. Heechul and Hangeng pressed their bodies flat against the wall of the small alcove praying and pleading to the gods to hide them as they waited for the person to pass their location. Between the two, Hangeng prayed harder as he slowly felt a buildup forming in his stomach. It was only a matter of time before his stomach decides to sing the song of its people and with his rotten luck it would trigger when the footfalls were directly right in front of them. Slowly, the body of which the foot falls were coming from materialized in their sight of vision. Rightly just as Hangeng predicted his stomach grumbled long and loud.

Everything happened in a flash, a red blur, a muffled scream, a bit of a struggle then silence, as another set of feet this time connected to four patrolling guild members passed by the unlit alcove in which three figures held their breaths. As the four patrols passed and their footsteps died down, the three hidden by the dark released their breaths simultaneously.

Heechul stood up, grabbed the stranger’s hand and motioned for both the stranger and Hangeng to be quiet and to follow him. It took Heechul a while to lead their small group through the patrolled halls of the Guild’s main building. It took every bit of their speed in running, creativity in finding hiding places and luck in finding only a few patrols roaming around their intended destination.

After some time of hiding, whispering, and more hiding, they finally found the Guild’s dining hall that had a door connecting to the kitchens and pantry.  Heechul shuffled through the pantry’s contents and laid food in front of Hangeng and the stranger. Only when he saw Hangeng happily eating did he spare a glance at the other. From the moment he saw the young boy walk in near their little alcove hiding area earlier, he immediately recognized the other’s face.

“Aren’t you the partner of the kid who got in an argument with Horse Face and Pig’s Laugh?” Heechul inquired as he took a spoon and dipped it at Hangeng’s plate.

The young boy guffawed and sniggered at the names that Heechul used before nodding. “You are Heechul and Hangeng correct? I saw how you stood up for that other guy Niel that one time, you were very cool” the boy said with admiration.

“No one messes with my ba- friend.” Heechul corrected himself from nearly saying baby and preened under the other's praise. He could not help himself from pinching the boy’s cheeks, watching as the boy’s curly hair bounced every time he moved.

Meanwhile Hangeng looked at the two’s interaction, he rolled his eyes and shook his head at the two. Heechul’s umma complex has yet again kicked in. His weakness for cute baby faced dongseangs currently apparent as he unconsciously mothers and fusses over the younger boy. Heechul took Hangeng’s food and placed it in front of the younger. Every time Hangeng would protest, he only got a withering glare. As they ate, Heechul and Hangeng would ask trivial things from the younger making him feel more at ease.

“What have you been doing after the first test? How is the training different from before?” Hangeng asked.

“Well, for the most part the lectures are easier and more evenly spaced. We’re actually going back on last week’s studies and going more in depth. It’s like primary school all over again, that goes for the herbalist side however. I can’t say much from my Hyung’s side though.”

Quiet conversations floated in the room until the adrenaline from the hide and seek game they played with the patrols died down and their stomachs were full. Heechul became more serious, gone were the playful banters and coddling, he looked at the young boy with his critical gaze making the other squirm in his seat.

“So what were you doing walking around in the corridors at night alone?” Heechul asked.

“I-I was following my hyung” the boy said as he evidently tried to lie at first but then decided to against it.

“Where’d he go?” asked Heechul.

“I-I – you see remember when I told you that I didn’t know much about what my Hyung is doing in his class?”

Heechul nodded and gestured for him to go on.

“Well, I’m a really light sleeper,” he said. “and for the past 3 days I found myself being awakened in the middle of the night by my hyung.” The boy paused as he nibbled on flat bread before continuing. “At first I thought he was going to the bathroom but then after an hour with him still yet to return to bed, I got worried. I even thought that it could be some kind of late training for the warriors – I’m not sure.”

“Maybe he went to see someone, like a girlfriend perhaps? There are a lot of beautiful girls here” Hangeng joked.

“What?!” the boy loudly asked. “Hyung will never – no, I don’t think he has someone he likes and even if he does he will definitely tell me. He shares everything with me. I would know- he’d tell me” he said almost pleading which looked like he was trying to convince himself more than the other two.

Heechul got up and placed his arms behind the boy’s shoulders making sure to give his partner Hangeng, a harsh glare atop the boy’s head as he mouthed ‘Nice going idiot’ hidden from the boy’s view. Hangeng could only gesture a sign of bewilderment and mouth back a ‘What did I do?’

“Yeah I don’t think he has been off to go meet with someone in the middle of the night, don’t listen to Hangeng, he’s just being stupid.” Heechul said as he rubbed circles at the young boy’s back.

“The reason that I was out tonight was to follow my hyung.” The boy said again with more confidence this time as he looked around the room before continuing. “I left the room a minute after him and caught up with him. I stayed back and just followed him around – I remember noting that he was walking around weirdly.”

“What do you mean walking around weirdly?” Hangeng asked with confusion written all over his face.

“Well, hyung tends to slouch a lot. I remember his mom would always hit his back with a spatula every time he would slouch. Tonight however he walked ram rod straight, much like someone from the royal army.”

“Well maybe the warrior lessons fixed his posture? I remember being drilled by our teachers about proper posture and stance as we practiced fighting” supplied Hangeng.

“Maybe, but the weirdness doesn’t stop there. Something really strange happened when I followed him” the boy looked at both Heechul and Hangeng’s eyes then continued “After following him for quite a while he suddenly stops in the middle of a long corridor, this corridor was unlike any other corridors, it had rows of passages just like the one Hyung and I went through on both sides like a – like a hornet’s nest.”

 

 

“Where’s this corridor?” asked Heechul.

“I don’t know, honestly I don’t remember how we even got there after countless of halls and turns. I just followed hyung as he walked. Anyways, he stood there for a couple of minutes as if he was waiting for someone. I thought that he was sleep walking or lost, but when I was about to approach him though, I heard footsteps coming from all the different passages. I ran to the passage that we just went through and waited as I saw people filling through the different passages. I recognized most of them as hyung’s classmates. I think I even saw some of those who failed the first test. They formed two parallel lines with my hyung in front then walked forward in synchronization.”

“Where did they go?” asked Hangeng.

“I followed the line for some time until they stopped in front of these huge metal doors. They just stood there for a long time before someone opened the doors. A guy I haven’t seen before here in the guild came out and motioned for the lined group to come. The first one to step forward was my hyung, the guy looked at him and grabbed his chin, he- he… ” the young boy stuttered as he forced the words to come out of his mouth.

Heechul grabbed a pitcher of water and began to pour a glass for the distraught boy. The boy greedily finished his offered drink before nodding thanks to Heechul.

“When he grabbed my hyung’s chin, I saw my hyung’s face. It-it wasn’t him - his face was devoid of any emotions. He just stood there as the guy held his chin up and inspected his face as if he was livestock for sale. After a few moments he took something out of his pocket, it was a blade. He slowly brought the blade up to my hyung’s chin and pressed it there. By this time I was panicking,  I-I was so scared. My hyung didn’t even flinch as the blade pierced him. I-I must have made a noise unknowingly because suddenly the person with the blade looked right at me. That’s when I ran.” The young boy ended his story.

“Okay that’s enough for tonight. Let’s all go back to our rooms. I’m sure it was too dark for him to recognize you, we have to get back to our rooms before the off chance that they decide to check for those who aren’t in their beds.” Heechul declared, the other two nodded and began to place everything back that they used in their proper places.

Coming from an already familiar location, it was much easier for them to find their way back. They even found the passage that Heechul and Hangeng wrongly took which led them to meet with this younger boy. With the young boy leading the way and Hangeng in the middle, Heechul was the one lagging at the rear. Hangeng looked behind just as Heechul picked something up near the entrance of the passage they wrongly took. He gave Heechul a questioning glance as the other only responded with a shake of the head and mouthed ‘later.’ Soon enough they made it back to more familiar territory.

“This is the hall leading to our dorms, thank you Hangeng-hyung and Heechul-hyung” the boy bowed.

“No problem kiddo” Hangeng said.

“I just remembered that you haven’t told us your name yet” said Heechul.

“Oh right, where are my manners?” The young boy righted his posture and cleared his throat. “My hyung’s name is Bang Yong Guk. My name is Choi Jun Hong, but you can call me Zelo.” 

 

 


 

 

The air gently blew in the heart of the forest, wafting the earthen smell that the forest floor permeated. Mingling with the scent of foliage was the unmistakable musk of sweat and masculinity. The clanging of metal against metal rang across the field, with each clang a resounding sound rebounded from the ring of trees around the plain.

 

 

Grunts of both exertion and exhaustion could both be heard as two figures danced the mortal art of combat.

The older sandy-haired male dodged, evaded and parried the attacks of the younger blonde male. The younger, b with strength and endurance swung hard and fiercely.  As time passed, it became apparent that the younger was clearly outmatched. What he gained in his sheer strength and size, was equalized and overtaken with the other’s mobility and experience. Occasionally, the younger would find weak spots on the old man’s guard. Right when his sword was about to find its target however, the old man would only smirk as he either parried or dodged the hit.

“You purposely create weak spots for me to find” Baekho stated without a hint of question as his opponent kept a safe distance from him.

His opponent smiled and inclined his head when suddenly the space that distanced him and Baekho was gone. Alistair’s sword was only an inch away from Baekho’s chest while Baekho’s sword hung limply from his side.  

“Dead” said Alistair as he sheathed his long sword on his back.

“Again!” shouted Baekho as he gripped his sword..

“That would be enough for today, remember you still owe me seven lives. All of them to be redeemed through physical labor.” With that, Alistair turned his back.

Baekho’s eyes clouded over with rage with his mentor’s gesture. He gripped his sword and lunged. Upon reaching the other, he swung down his sword with all his might at the retreating figure. The field vibrated as Baekho’s mighty two hand slash was blocked by Alistair’s sword.

‘”Rule number one, never turn your back from your opponent unless you see them incapable of being a threat against you.” Baekho snarled as he locked eyes and sword with his mentor.

“Very well, you want to die boy? Bring it!” Alistair shoved the other back and kicked his legs from under him. Before Baekho could stand up and get his bearings he found Alistair looming over him, sword pointed at his chest.

“Dead - Eight lives.” Alistair glowered at the younger who was glowering back at him.

Baekho quickly swung his blade upwards making the other jump back. He quickly righted himself before lunging and engaging in battle. Again, it only took a few seconds of swordplay before he found himself again at sword point.

“Dead again - Nine lives, do you wish to continue?” Alistair said with a mocking tone.

Baekho growled fiercely before reengaging in combat. Sparks flew as metal collided with metal. Baekho fueled by his rage, swung and slashed blindly at the other. Little by little, he felt the older man’s movements and reactions slow down. As he continued his unrelenting barrage and flurry of blows, he saw the signs of strain on his mentor’s usually calm and composed mask. He began driving Alistair backwards as he stubbornly pressed on with his attacks. It was a moment after when Baekho found a real opening, as Alistair stepped back he did not notice a log on his path causing him to lose his footing and fall backwards.

Seeing his opportunity, Baekho who was filled with bloodlust swung his sword downwards. This time, no sword blocked his. A second before his sword hit, his rationality returned.

‘What if I kill him?’ he remembered thinking as his sword swung downwards and hit the empty ground.

“Good, but not enough kid!” Alistair said as he rolled away from Baekho’s down swing and kicked him on the gut. The kick landed soundly and took the air out of Baekho’s lungs as he flew a few feet backwards.

Baekho writhed on the ground as he clenched his aching stomach. His eyes clouded again with rage as he tried to get up and find his enemy. Baekho found himself lying again on the floor with a boot on his neck preventing him from moving.

“Yield” Alistair said icily.

Seeing that his sword was nowhere near him, Baekho’s eyes filled with inhumanly rage as he growled and clawed at the foot that was restraining him. Baekho slowly pierced the thick leather boot with his nails when Alistair increased the force on his foot effectively strangling Baekho and pointed his long sword directly at Baekho’s right eye.

“YIELD!” Alistair shouted venomously.  

It was only after a few seconds when Baekho’s eyes finally cleared and he yielded.

“T-ten lives” Baekho croaked as Alistair’s boot kept up with the pressure. Upon hearing him, Alistair removed his boot from the other and sheathed his sword, this time however he did not turn his back.

“It is that uncontrollable beast inside you that will get you ultimately killed! You must always remember to master yourself, control your emotions and suppress your rage!” Alistair scolded.

“My rage almost help me beat you didn’t it?” Baekho said as he rubbed his throat.

“FOOL!” Alistair shouted as he smacked Baekho in the head with the toe of his boot. “It may have given you second wind but it also made your technique sloppier. I could have killed you ten times over with your wild swings!”

Baekho upon hearing his mentor’s words could only bow his head down in shame. He let his rage take over him and attacked his mentor whose back was turned. Though he knew that his mentor would deny it, looking back there were a lot of times where he almost injured or even worse, killed the older man. It is with that realization that he could not bear look at the other. Ingrate, he thinks that is what his mentor is thinking currently of him. An ingrate student who dared to attack his own teacher’s back and still lost in the process.

“So I guess this means that you wouldn’t be teaching me anymore.” Baekho said sullenly as he sat up.

“What are you talking about? You still have to redeem your lives from me boy, ten lives meaning ten laps around the forest.” Alistair said incredulously wondering where in the whole kingdom did his pupil got such a ridiculous idea.

“B-but I attacked you behind your back. I-I could have killed you-”

“Oh don’t be full of yourself boy, I was never in any danger coming from the likes of a pup like you. You have skill I’ll give you that, but it would still take years before you could beat me in to a fight, given that I age every year. Now what are you waiting for?” Baehko stared at him in disbelief.

“TEN.

 LAPS.

 NOW!

GET TO IT!” Alistair shouted.

“Y-YES!” Baekho quickly picked himself up and collected his sword before disappearing in to the forest.

“AND DON’T YOU DARE TAKE ANY SHORTCUTS!” Alistair called behind his student. After a while his mind flashed replayed their earlier encounter, the truth was if he was a second late blocking Baekho’s swing, he would have been cut in half. It’s times like these that Alistair wonders why he keeps on training students that could sooner or later beat him to a pulp or worse, kill him. It would have been more logical to enjoy the rest of his life shacked up somewhere in the woods living the quiet life, but deep down he knew that living a quiet life wasn’t for the likes of him. 

After seeing that his student was well out of sight, he spoke loudly and clearly.

“As for you two, when are you going to stop lurking in the shadows and reveal yourselves?”

A gust of wind rolled in the plain gently caressing the grass as it passed by, from afar it look like a giant hand was the whole field. Slowly starting from the side where Baekho disappeared, the wind passed through Alistair and ended at the ring of trees behind him. From those trees emerged two cloaked figures who walked and stopped near Alistair.

“I told you he knew we were there” said the bigger figure at the smaller one.

The smaller one disregarded the comment and spoke to Alistair, “Thought I might have to intervene when he attacked you from behind gramps.”

Alistair scoffed and turned towards them.

“Decades, it would take decades more before I could call him a match. Same goes for you two.” Alistair looked at the both of them before continuing. “What have you learned?”

“It is as we feared. He is creating an army” said the bigger figure.

“How many? All enslaved?” Alistair asked.

“Nearly a hundred and yes all enslaved. Could have more heads if he wasn’t picky.”

“No, he wouldn’t get those who are unfit for battle. Did you see him?”

“Yes, we saw him.” This time said by the smaller.

Upon hearing that answer, Alistair’s heart ached. He gritted his teeth, he can’t be weak now he tells himself.

“What about the others? Do they not suspect anything?” Alistair asked searching for any good news in their report.

The smaller figure shook his head. “They trust him too much.”

“FOOLS!” Alistair shouted as he pinched his nose bridge to stop the impending headache.

“How long before they mobilize?” Alistair asked.

“Soon”

 


 

 

Heechul glanced up from his meal fully expecting that it was Niel and CAP who would be joining him and his now gorging partner Hangeng. On most occasions he got it right seeing that the mention two were the only ones that would regularly sit with them, this time however he was wrong. It was the boy they met last night, the same one shuffling awkwardly in front of their table. Heechul raised his eyebrow and looked around the room. On one side sat those who have already failed the exam and on the other was their side, the ones who are still taking the said test.

There were no rules separating the two sides, both can mingle and do as they please inside the hall. However due to obvious reasons there was an invisible line dividing the two sides – which is now about to be broken. Heechul shrugs inwardly, being known to not care about what people around him think of him he smiles up at Zelo and motions for him to take the seat in front of him. Heechul does another quick scan of his surroundings with a steady gaze as if daring the others to call out and protest on what transpired in their table. Seeing no violent reactions coming from the others, he patiently waited for the young boy to talk.

“Thanks for letting me sit here hyung”

“No problem, as far as I am concerned the cafeteria is a free place – no seating arrangement” Heechul said loudly for the entire room to hear.

“So what are you doing here?” Hangeng asked bluntly as he scooped more food in to his bowl.

“Seriously? Even after last night’s pig out you still – nevermind” Heechul exasperatedly said. “Why aren’t you with your partner over there?” Heechul gestured to Zelo’s partner Bang Yongguk.

Zelo looked around and scooted closer to the other. “We fought last night when I confronted him on his nightly escapades.”

“What has he about to say it then?” Heechul asked.

“Well he says I was dreaming the whole thing up. That he felt dead tired last night and as he immediately fell asleep upon landing his bed only getting up when it was morning already.” Zelo said with an incredulous tone. “I even pointed out the scar on his cheek!”

“How did he react about it?” Hangeng asked.

“Well here’s the weird part, and mainly the reason why we are fighting right now.” Zelo hunched closer to the other two. “He genuinely didn’t know where he got it from. He told me that when he washed his face last night the cut wasn’t there. He then began looking for sharp things on his bed that might have cut him as he was sleeping. When he couldn’t find anything, he just sat there with this conflicted look.”

Zelo looked back from his seat and turned to his partner over at the other side of the room. Yongguk ate silently along with his classmates on the ‘’warrior” table. If you would look at their side of the room, there was another division. Gone were the scattered partners occupying their own tables much like what is still present on Heechul and Hangeng’s side of the cafeteria - which was understandable when you take the competition factor out of the equation, they have now divided themselves upon specialization.

“When I pointed that fact out he flipped out on me. He began shouting at me, telling me I’m lying and that I was going against the guild. He questioned my reason for taking the test with him – that bastard had the nerve. He knows all too damn well why.” Zelo slammed his hands on the table and fisted his hands.

Heechul caught Hangeng’s eye as he waited for Zelo to calm down. Once he deemed the other calm enough, he took the boy’s hands and rubbed circles on it with his thumb in a mother like gesture. “Is that how you got that bruise on your lip?” Heechul asked.

“You should see him” Zelo scoffed proudly at first “I can’t believe this whole test is slowly driving a wedge in to our friendship I always thought that this would make it stro- OH GOD” Zelo choked midway as he stared wild-eyed at the double door entry of the cafeteria.

“What? What is it?” Hangeng asked as he followed Zelo’s scared gaze.

“It-‘it’s him hyung… It’s the guy who hyung and the other’s met – the one that sliced his cheek.” Zelo stuttered as he was filled with fear.

“What? Where? The black haired one? Which is is he from the two?” Heechul asked as he craned his neck towards the doors.

“No, but I bet he’s with them. The one with brown hair.” Zelo said as he began thoroughly describing the man’s features. .

“What brown hair? There are only two guys in – Oh there he is. I see him.” Hangeng rubbed his eyes. “I could have sworn there were only two men that entered, right Heechul?” Hangeng asked as Heechul frowned and locked his gaze at the man in question.

“Don’t look now, I think he’s coming to our table.” Heechul said as he turned his body and resumed eating.

“Oh god he’s coming for me. He-he saw me that night. He must have or else he wouldn’t need to go here.” Zelo was said, voice laced with fear and panic.

Heechul held the boy’s hand soothingly, “Don’t panic, just breathe. You were in our room that night.”

“I-I was?” Zelo asked baffled by the other’s statement.

“You were, you had a falling out with your partner and found someplace else to sleep in.” Heechul supplied. “Leave the talking to me.” Heechul then looked at Hangeng. “You – just keep stuffing your face.”

Hangeng filled his mouth with food and began to eat while Zelo only nodded nervously and vigorously, making him look like he was having a mini seizure. Zelo took a quick glance and confirmed that the three were indeed making a bee-line for their table. After stabling himself, Zelo did the most unnatural thing for people who are supposed to be calm and collected could do – he whistled.  If you call his spit spewing, duck strangling noise a whistle that is. Zelo cannot whistle – it was more of his hyung’s talent than his. Maybe it was the nerves or the lack of experience in acting in these kinds of situations that forced him, but after seeing Heechul practically face palming the table he had the common sense to stop just in time.

The three men came to a stop at the head of our trio’s table. With Hangeng busy eating his food and Zelo shifting his glances to anywhere but the three men, it was Heechul who first acknowledge the three.

“Do you have a purpose as to why you are here in front of our table sirs?” Heechul drawled as he raised his head to acknowledge them. One by one, he gave them all lasting looks in the eye saving the last glance for the sandy haired male. As he looked at the last person, he saw a flicker of confusion and bafflement in the man’s eyes.

Heechul fully expected him to answer but yet again he was proven otherwise when the black haired man answered. “Were here for him” the black haired man pointed at Zelo who immediately stiffened at the attention.

“What for? Can’t you see he’s eating?” Heechul said sweetly even adding a sugary smile to go with it.

It was the other guild member who answered him “You have no concern over this, this is strictly guild business.”

“Oh? I’m sure important businesses aren’t dealt with during breakfast hours surely. I’m sure it can wait, have you seen him? Nothing but skin and bones, you really shouldn’t disturb him while eating, unlike my partner here. Him you can disturb, in fact I insist.” Heechul moved closer to the three and whispered “He’s starting to lean on the meaty side you see.” As he gestured at Hangeng’s stomach.

Though he might look like he was preoccupied talking to the three, Heechul’s attention was locked at the sandy haired man. He was quite comely to look at, with sandy hair and chiseled jaw line Heechul was sure that this man’s face would be hard not to notice. His lips though bow shaped was formed in to this thin lines of contempt and his eyes – his eyes were cruel. Silver orbs screaming anger and disgust to everything that it focuses in. Slowly as Heechul looked at the other’s eyes he felt like he was trapped – trapped in a small dark room. Heechul felt himself growing cold and felt chills creeping down to his spine in which he later found out to be cold sweat.

“Don’t meddle in to this.” The black haired man said breaking Heechul and the other’s locked gazes.

“Now shut your mouth and let us talk with-” said the other guild member who was then interrupted by the sandy haired man’s gesture.

“Now now, no need to lose our temper.” said the sandy haired man as he slowly walked to the seat next to Zelo. He sat down and righted his clothes before speaking. “You see were here to talk about an infraction. Your friend over here,” the man placed a what you might call a friendly arm over Zelo’s shoulders. “was found out of bed in the middle night.”

The man smiled at Zelo who was paralyzed underneath his arms. No doubt excited of the control and power he had over the younger.

“Tell me… Sir..?” Heechul paused. “I believe I didn’t hear you say your name.”

“I didn’t” replied the man whose earlier smile was gone.

“Well I’ll just call you sir then.” Heechul inclined his head. “Is sleeping on another’s dorm room a infraction to the rules? Because I’m quite sure it wasn’t written or said that it was.” Heechul asked.

“Well… No it’s not written per say but it is highly frowned upon…” gritted the other grudgingly.

“Ah...but still, not an infraction.” Heechul then smiled victoriously.

“So are you saying then that this boy right here,” the man clutched Zelo closer to himself, “was sleeping in your dorm room last night when he was found missing?”

“To put it simply - yes, we had a sleep over.” Heechul said blandly.

“Well then, this changes things.” the man said thoughtfully. He released his hold on Zelo and stood up from his seat. He walked behind Zelo and placed his hands on Zelo’s shoulders and whispered, “You have some very loyal friends here young man, make sure you never lose them.”

“Enjoy your meal.” The man said as he motioned for the two to follow him out of the room.

Only when the door sounded close did the table’s occupant move. Hangeng finally stopped eating and watched his two table mates. Heechul’s eyes were still locked on the door while Zelo shakily filled his cup with water.

“I don’t like this,” Heechul voiced out as he turned his head to the rest of the table. Heechul placed his hands on his lap, discreetly wiping the cold sweat from his palms. That encounter with that strange sandy haired man left him in disarray. A fact that he hid from the two, he could still remember the feeling of helplessness when he stared at that man’s eyes. He wasn’t human that much Heechul was sure.

Heechul was broken out of his reverie when he felt a touch on his hand, it was Hangeng. Heechul inwardly smiled, they really have gotten to know each other – a bit too much Heechul thinks as Hangeng squeezed his hand for support in which he squeezed gratefully back.

“So what do we do now?” Zelo rasped as he finished his drink.

“You stay with Hangeng, it’s time for my test. We’ll talk later.” Heechul reassuringly said as he released his hand from Hangeng’s grasp and collected his things in preparation to go.

“Good luck hyung!” Zelo said loudly as he did the “hwaighting” pose.

“Thanks kid, but I don’t need luck. I got this.” Heechul replied cockily.

“Hey Heechul, am I really turning fat?” Hangeng asked as he felt his stomach.

“Tell you what… I’ll answer that truthfully when you pass your test later.” Heechul laughed and made his way to the testing area.

 


 

“Didn’t see you guys at our usual breakfast table... not hungry?” Heechul asked as he placed his bag at the floor near the seat that was across from CAP’s.

“Niel and I ate earlier since the both of us couldn’t really sleep last night.” CAP shrugged.

“I wonder why…” Heechul trailed off as he collected his writing materials.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” CAP turned to Heechul.

“Huh?” Heechul asked. “What do you mean?”

“No, what do YOU mean by that?” Cap answered the question with another question.

“Nothing, it was supposed to be just a joke- why? Did I get it right?” Heechul smirked.

“Get what right?!” CAP asked irritated and with half a mind to strangle the red haired man in front of him.

“I don’t know, you tell me.” Heechul mockingly said as he laughed at the other’s clearly confused and irritated face.

“Seriously what the hell are you talking about?” CAP asked exasperatedly.

“Oh for the love of god – will you two just shut the hell up. I can’t hear myself think with you two yapping your lips over there. Solve your lover’s quarrel somewhere else.” Pig’s Laugh otherwise known as Jessica interrupted.

“Sorry your highness, wouldn’t want to interrupt something that happens so rarely now do we?” Heechul said as he smiled sweetly at her.

Jessica’s eyes turned in to slits as she turned her eye at Heechul. Her lips were half-opened no doubt to say something as equally scathing to the other when the classroom door opened fully interrupting what she was about to say. She just glared at Heechul for a few more seconds whom the other evenly reciprocated before flipping her hair and turning to Professor Snake.

Professor Snake knew how to make an entrance, that fact his students all knew. The door would open wideJudging the dramatics of his entrance, it was evident that the professor was mad. As to why, they were soon about to find out as the said professor slammed his things on top of his desk making some of the rooms inhabitants jump from their seats.

“So apparently the wise guild master woke up this morning and suddenly decided to disregard weeks of planning just because he felt like it. The ever so wise guild master has decided to change today’s supposed test. You would be doing what normally is the final test. ” Professor Snake spoke with heavy sarcasm and venom in his voice.

“But what about the things that we were supposed to learn next week that we would apply for this test?”  A student asked.

“Next week’s lessons would have solely been used up for your research. Now, what research may that be you ask?” Professor Snake asked as he walked to the center aisle. “The third test would have been normally announced right after the results of the second. It was decided to be a week long to accommodate research in the library and also complicated brews that would take more than a few days to brew.”

“So what exactly is the third test?” Jessica asked impatiently.

“The third test is simple and straightforward, and that is to brew the most complicated potion that you can accomplish.”

“Does this mean that we get to skip the second test and would only have to take this last test to be one of the guild?” CAP asked making most of the room’s inhabitants excited of the prospect of taking one last test to be a part of the guild.

“Yes you’re correct.” Professor answered as he leaned on the Professor’s table. The whole room was in a buzz upon its confirmation filling the room with noise and excitement. Amidst the noise, one hand suddenly went up gathering the attention of the room and silencing it as well.

“What’s the catch?” Heechul asked. “When something is too good to be true, then it usually is.”

The class turned its eyes back to the professor in front all burning for his fateful answer.

“You only have this day to finish it and I suggest that you make the most of it. We will meet back here an hour before midnight. Do your best.” Professor Snake looked at his students with encouragement and wished them, “Good luck to all of you,” as he walked out of the classroom –robe flapping and swishing dramatically.

With the professor’s announcement, the room fell in a deathly silence that lasted until after his departure. One day to make the most complicated potion that you can manage to brew. An hour at most of research, another hour preparing the ingredients and the rest of the day to boil, simmer, cool and set ONE batch to be placed in a phial. Can’t spend too much time on research, can’t waste too much time to prepare and gather the ingredients. No time to make a second batch. The brew must be perfect - no mistakes.

Suddenly the room came back to life, the ones inside finally broke through their initial shock and finally spurred in to action. Hurriedly they left the room no doubt to get ahead in getting reference books on the library. Only three remained seated on their chairs as the seven other herbalist left in a frantic mess.

Heechul was naturally one of the three who remained along with CAP and not surprisingly, Jessica. The three calmly remained in their seats and were all in the same process of putting away their things. Heechul looked to his side and stared at Jessica.

“I don’t date androgynous freaks so you might as well stop staring at me, no chance in hell.” Jessica said after feeling Heechul’s glance.

Heechul choked trying to contain his laughter. “Don’t worry I plan to save a spot in hell first before dating you. I was just wondering why you aren’t running around like them. Usually you would be the first to jump out of the seats.”

Jessica slung her bag to her shoulders and gracefully – Heechul would begrudgingly admit, made her way towards the door.  Upon reaching it and pulling it open, she turned her head towards Heechul. “Don’t put me in the same league as those idiots. You’re smart enough to know that this whole thing is just between the three of us.” Jessica said before sparing CAP a quick glance and leaving the room.

“She’s right you know, I don’t know about the part where it was just between the three of us, but you have to admit – she’s good.” CAP admitted as he and Heechul stood up and walked outside of the room.

“Yeah, that much I can admit. That’s why we should both step up our game.” Heechul answered the other.

“So, are you going to library?” CAP asked jokingly.

Heechul smiled and shook his head, “How about you?”

“Nah, I’ll go to my room first.” CAP smiled.

Heechul arrived to his room fully expecting it to be empty. Hangeng was lounging on his bed obviously waiting for sleep to take over him.

“Today is the worse day to skip if you ask me” Heechul said as he made his way to his side of the room.

“Not skipping…” Hangeng mumbled as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.”The test was rescheduled for later tonight. Why are YOU here?” Hangeng asked as he turned from his bed to face the other.

“You’re doing the final test am I right?” Heechul asked as he rummaged through his belongings.

“Yeah, something about how the guild master suddenly decide to break tradition or something” Hangeng answered.

“Same goes for us too, we have to brew the most complicated potion that we-“Heechul grunted as he lifted a pile of clothes from his trunk. ”can and pass it before midnight.” Heechul continued.

Heechul placed the pile on the floor then proceeded in rummaging through his trunk of belongings while Hangeng closed his eyes and went back on his earlier intention to get some more sleep. If it wasn’t for the noises of rummaging and cluttering of things as Heechul went about his things, Hangeng would be already asleep by now. Hangeng cracked open an eye, annoyed with his roommate’s noise.

“Mind keeping it down? I’m trying to sleep here.” Hangeng grinned as he was reminded of last night’s events.

Heechul turned to him to see if he was serious with what he said, upon seeing Hangeng’s easy grin he smiled back.“Oh HA-HA very funny, I’m trying to look for Grandma Jean’s Grimoire.” Heechul said then went back to rummaging the bottom of his trunk.

“A grimoire? What’s that?” Hangeng sat up, interested with what his partner is looking for. He watched the other practically diving inside the huge chest as he searched for the grimoire.

“Careful now, that chest might swallow you whole.” Hangeng said as Heechul precariously balanced on the chest’s brim with his stomach.

“Wouldn’t be the first time an old chest swallows me whole. I hope this one brings me back.” Heechul muttered silently upon hearing Hangeng’s comment. It took quite a bit more time before the red head resurfaced with a black leather bound book triumphantly raised in his arm.

“A-HA! Found it!” Heechul exclaimed as he dusted of his knees and closed the chest all the while clutching the grimoire as if it was his greatest possession.

“Wait I’ve seen that book before! That’s Grandma Jean’s isn’t it?” Hangeng said with an accusatory stone as he sat up from his bed and towered over the sitting Heechul.

“Oh don’t give me that look Hangeng. I know that you have Alistair’s spare sword tucked beneath your trunk.” Heechul said as he smiled sweetly at the other.

“Th-that’s different! I was just borrowing it!” Hangeng spluttered as he tried to make a plausible excuse to no avail.

“Then it’s settled then. We simply borrowed them from our masters.” Heechul smugly said as he opened the grimoire.

Hangeng nodded as he sat defeated beside Heechul. He looked over Heechul’s shoulders to take a closer look at the book only to see it quickly shut by his partner. He threw Heechul with a quizzical look which was only answered by an apologetic smile.

“Can’t look, sorry.” Heechul apologized.

“So what are you brewing then?” Hangeng asked, changing the topic. “You’re not brewing hellfire again… aren’t you?” Hangeng asked with a chuckle only to end his sentence with a nervous tone as he remembered the wounds Heechul received the last time he brew Hellfire.

Heechul remained silent which only added to Hangeng’s growing tension. Hangeng then grabbed Heechul’s chin making the other look at him then repeated the same question as he intensely stared at the other’s eyes.

Heechul stared at his partner’s eyes, which currently reflected worry, desperation and lastly, pain? Heechul wasn’t sure about the last emotion, why would Hangeng feel pain when it wasn’t even him who felt the burning sensation of an uncompleted Hellfire brew. He thought about it for a second but as he was about to respond the door opened.

“Hee- Woah!” Cap said as he saw Hangeng and Heechul staring at each other with Hangeng’s hand still grasping at Heechul’s chin. “Sorry for intruding!” CAP said as he backtracked and closed the door.

The two sitting in bed stared at the door in shock before looking at each other and quickly breaking apart. The serious mood in the room quickly turned awkward as the two residing in it fumbled and shuffled to fill up the silence engulfing the room.

“I won’t be brewing Hellfire.” Heechul said as the spine of the grimoire.

“That’s good then, good luck.” Hangeng said as he smiled at the other.

Heechul smiled back and nodded. “You too, I’ll see you later.” Heechul bid his roommate farewell before quickly exiting the room. Outside, he found CAP leaning at the wall who was smirking at him.

“Don’t you dare.” Heechul warned the other. “It’s not what you think.”

CAP only nodded and hid his smile by turning the other direction and starting to walk. Heechul relieved that the other headed his warning, caught up and walked beside him.

“So can I ask what you are going to brew? I overheard something about hellfire.” CAP asked as he look sheepishly at the other.

“Well Mr. Eavesdropper, I’m not brewing hellfire. I’m not brewing anything in that danger level.” Heechul answered.

CAP agreed wordlessly, respecting the other’s decision of keeping his intended brew a secret.

‘I’m brewing something that has a higher danger level than that. It’s all or nothing.’ Heechul thought.