Chapter 4 - Trinket (COMPLETE)

Gates of the Zodiac

 

A/N: Much like the first chapter. Get yourselves comfortable and bring out the snacks. It's gonna be a LOOONG read.

 


 

What happens when an unstoppable object comes in to collision with an immoveable object? A stalemate, that’s what it is. Heechul and Hangeng had been verbally grappling and showed no signs of relenting. This all started when Heechul explained his plan on joining the guild to make money faster which was received by Geng’s disapproving head shakes.


“Come on Geng, you said it yourself. There is no way in hell we’re going to make that kind of money.”

Heechul said almost pleading Hangeng to agree already. They have been at this argument throughout the whole night before they both decided to sleep on it and resume in the morning. Once they woke up however, both of them still would not give in to one another’s thinking.

“I know I what I said Chullie, but you heard what Grandma said. The admission in itself was dangerous already. Also, granting that we do make it to the guild, it’s not a guaranteed that the missions that we would take would work out for the best. I’m sure we could find another side job that pays extra so we could come up with that kind of money.”

Hangeng was seriously rejecting Heechul’s idea of joining the guild. Not only would the admissions be dangerous, it would also mean leaving Grandma Jean and her noodle shop. Geng was honestly getting comfortable of his daily routine in the noodle shop. Wake up, try to wake Heechul up, get dressed, wake Heechul up again, go downstairs for breakfast, go upstairs to wake Heechul up because he knows that the other would be sleeping again, get the ingredients ready, get Grandma Jean to wake Heechul up, open the store, close the store, then finally sleep only to repeat the same process in the morning. A repetitive but very interesting cycle was already built and he was adamant on letting that cycle continue. They have been doing that for about a month now, the business was pretty much growing.

“We have no choice!” Heechul threw up his hands in exasperation.

“We get paid 25 silvers a day Geng, that’s only a quarter of 1 gold. If we don’t do this by the time we raise 400 gold we would be as old as Grandma Jean!”

“HEY! I’m not that old!” Grandma Jean yelled from somewhere down below the shop.

“SORRY GRANDMA!” Heechul shouted back.

“Look Geng, the business is doing great! Grandma Jean and I have been discussing on getting a few more hands to help out in the shop. I know that part of the reason that you don’t want to join the guild was because of Grandma Jean. Geng, we have to remember our first priority, we have to fulfill the prophecy. Not only could we get funds, but we could also gain allies when we join the guild. Plus we would also be eliminating agmas in the process. It’s a win-win!”

Heechul looked at Geng anxiously pacing back and forth, waiting for a reply. Geng on the other hand was sitting down, his hand folded and placed on top of the table. Geng parted his lips preparing to say something but then decided against it and closed it again. This happened several times making Heechul stop his pacing and unconsciously lean towards Geng every time his lips would part. 

“Yah! Stop mouthing like a fish! If you want to say something, then say it already!” Heechul smacked Geng’s arm for good measure.

Hangeng winced and rubbed his sore shoulder.

“Okay.”

Heechul raised his brow.

“Okay what?” Heechul asked.

“Okay let’s join the bloody guild.”

Heechul’s lips were slowly turning in to a huge grin when Geng raised his index finger.

“But, we have to gather as much details as we can. We should start by asking some of the past applicants how they were screened. We will not go in to this blindly. It was a good thing that the guild admission’s schedule got pushed back another month.” Hangeng said confidently.

“I’m surprised Geng, I took you as the type of guy that would rush head on towards challenges. Remember that time in the agma’s cave?”

“Well, I learn from my mistakes. It wasn’t me who got chased by humanoid monkeys…” Hangeng quipped.

Heechul gave an irritated scowl which then turned in to a murderous glare when Geng added,

“Twice…”

“I told you I didn’t do anything to those damn monkeys!” Heechul shouted.

“Riiiiiiight, I supposed they just chased you because of nothing.”

“Why you…”

“STOP FIGHTING AND GET YOUR BEHINDS DOWN HERE! WE HAVE A LOT OF CUSTOMERS TO SERVE!” Grandma Jean shouted.

The two cringed at Grandma Jean’s shouting and hurriedly made their way to open the noodle shop.

“WE’RE COMING!”

“Make sure you wash yourselves you erted boys!” Grandma Jean added no doubt thinking of yet another ual encounter happening between the two.

“Unbelievable…” Hangeng mouthed as he walked down the stairs.
 

 


 

 




It was Monday morning, that means the noodle shop would be closed and would only resume business around 6pm, just in time to catch customers who are looking for a nice restaurant to eat dinner in. It was Grandma Jean who suggested this weekly break not only so inventory could be replenished, but also to give respite for the whole week’s arduous and bone breaking work. Heechul and Hangeng decided to use this day to gather information on what trials they are going to be tested in. They made their way towards the Castle Edyssil courtyard where the Guild hall is located.

“There it is!” Heechul pointed towards the Guild Hall located past the huge fountain in the middle of the courtyard.


 

260px-2007_0513London0033.JPG

 

The pair was greeted by huge oak doors with two suits of armor that remained unmoving. Heechul dragged Hangeng up the stairs towards the massive double doors. Upon reaching the landing, the suits of armor came to life. Their pikes crossed forming an “X” to block Heechul’s path. Heechul jumped back


“YAH! What’s the matter with you?!”

“Only guild members are allowed within the guild hall.” One of the suits said.


“How are we going to get information on the guild application then?”Heechul asked.

The suit that spoke raised his hand and pointed to a bulletin board located at the side of the guild hall entrance.

“Could have told us no entry without using your spear thingies…” Heechul grumbled.

Hangeng grabbed Heechul’s head and forced him to bow.

“Sorry for bothering you, thank you for pointing us to the bulletin board. We’ll be on our way.” Hangeng grabbed Heechul’s arm and dragged him towards the bulletin board. Once they were out of the guard’s hearing distance he scolded the other.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing? Those are guild members! Last time I checked we were trying to become guild members, not aggravating them. For all we know they could be one of the members to decide which applicants gets in!” Hangeng hissed.


“Look at this Geng!” Heechul replied clearly not paying attention to the other’s sermon.


Hangeng, clearly annoyed by Heechul’s inability to listen, kept his temper and schooled his features. There is no use in losing his temper and starting a fight. Hangeng looked at what the other was pointing and scrunched up his eyes in irritation.

“Uhh, Heechul can you read that for me please?” Hangeng said.

Heechul snorted, “What? Can’t read?”

“Not everyone can afford proper schooling Heechul, also I didn’t have much time to be attending classes when  there is a whole hectare of plants to take care of. I can read, it would just take me forever okay?”

Hangeng’s village is only a small farming village that had only a couple of learned men and women residing in it.  When Hangeng was young, some of those learned men would teach them only the basics of reading and writing. Hangeng was only able to attend a couple of those learning sessions because of his responsibilities in the farm. He was a good student, a quick learner in fact. He would have learned a great deal more –if he had the time that is. Upon hearing Hangeng’s words, Heechul immediately felt bad. Sometimes he forgets that this world that he is currently living in is very different from where he came from.

“Oh, okay… Sorry…” Heechul cleared his throat and began to read.

 

 


 

 




Hear Ye, Hear Ye

                Calling the attention of all the free-spirited, courageous and adventurous individuals! For centuries The Guild has been the sentinel of peace, ever vigilant in times of peace and ruthless in time for battle. Protecting and serving the people has always been a hazardous occupation, an occupation that we bravely undertake and understand. We have lost brothers and sisters in arms but we will never forget their sacrifices. That’s why it was decreed centuries ago, for every 5th accomplished planetary revolution, The Guild will open its gates for fresh blood - talented, brave and skillful individuals that will be further trained in to the ranks of being an honorary Guild Member.

                In lieu of the baffling circumstances plaguing the whole world; agmas growing in strength and power the Guild has decided to recruit pairs. One must exude strength, bravery, battle skills and constitution; the other must contain agility, intelligence, wisdom and cunning. Only pairs who have proven themselves to have all these qualities will be drafted and be further trained in to becoming what the Guild calls “seentrophos” the ultimate partnership.

 

The first must have these at his disposal:

1.       Knowledge in hand to hand combat.

2.       Knowledge in armed combat.

3.       Knowledge in battle tactics and strategy.
 

The second must have this under their belts.

1.       Knowledge in Botany.

2.       Knowledge in Basic Healing.

3.       Knowledge in Potion Brewing.

 

The criterion has been announced. Do you have what it takes to be a sentinel of peace? Do you have the strength or the intellect to be called our brother/sister? Train hard and train fast we will not settle for second best.

 


 

“Well that was a bust. We can’t even cross out a single thing on the list.” Heechul grumbled as he started to walk away from the bulletin board.


Hangeng on the other hand was still in front of the bulletin board still in contemplation. Hangeng knew he had the strength and he is confident of Heechul’s intelligence. Why can’t they do it? Who says they can’t? Given enough time he can master hand to hand combat and armed combat. Heechul will also be able to study the basicsof the three discipline. Hangeng then turned around and caught up with Heechul.

“Heechul, wait.”

“I know, I know that it was a waste of time coming here.”

“Wait up! That’s not it!” Hangeng grabbed Heechul’s wrist and turned the other to face him. “Look we can still do it. It’s practically made for the two of us, I can handle the fighting, you handle the tests.”

“We only have a month. There’s no way I can learn the names and the properties of the plants here. I barely know what kind of vegetables you put in the noodle dishes. It’s too different from my world.”

“Look Heechul, you were the one who thought of this idea and now when I finally agree to it, you back out? What happened to the confidence that you had yesterday? Look, I just need to train. If I could find someone to train me then that would be great. You on the other hand need to read. There are plenty of books in the Castle Library.”

“Now that you put it that way…” Heechul mused. “What the hell, let’s do this!”

“Now let’s back to the shop and tell Grandma Jean that we have to find our replacements.” Hangeng said.

“We still have to restock the pantry; we have to buy the ingredients.” Heechul reminded Hangeng.

“You’re right, now that I think about it’s the perfect way to start your botany training as well.” Hangeng retrieved the grocery list on his pocket and brought it to Heechul’s face.

Heechul just raised his eyebrow. “How is shoving that grocery list on my face going to help me with botany?”

“Well, smartass. If you are able to buy all of these ingredients then you would be at least be familiar with the most commonly used plants. Now, I may not know a lot about potion making but what I know about it is that you practically mix ingredients on a big pot, just like cooking. This grocery list contains fruits, vegetables, spices and even animal meat. Look at this list like an exam. If you buy all the correct ingredients then you pass.”

“Give me that stupid list.” Heechul grabbed the list seeing the good reason that Hangeng made and made his way towards the market with Hangeng walking swiftly behind him.

 

 


 

 

 

“Run faster! Grandma Jean will kill us!” Hangeng said as he picked up his pace.

“I’m tired okay! We have been walking around the whole damn market place the whole afternoon. These damn bags are also heavy.” Heechul gasped as he readjusted the bags that he was holding.

“Are you kidding? I’m holding 6 bags! You only have 2!”

“WE CAN’T ALL BE HORSES!”  Heechul yelled back. “And besides, it’s your fault that we took this long! If you just told me which ingredients did I get wrong then it wouldn’t have taken us all night! Now we’re late and Grandma will -”

Unknown to both Heechul and Hangeng they were being followed. Both were stunned into immobility when a blur of yellow passed through them, forcefully taking the bags out of Heechul’s hands and knocking Heechul to the ground  in the process before running to an alleyway. After the initial shock, Hangeng and Heechul finally broke through the momentary paralysis. Heechul quickly stood up and made chase.

Hangeng shouted, “CHULLIE! Wait up!”

Heechul’s fatigue and body ache immediately dissipated. How dare he knock Kim Heechul to the ground? How dare he still from him? Heechul’s blood boiled and adrenaline coursed through his blood stream with each heart beat giving him the extra energy and speed to chase after the blonde blur. “Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.” Let us change that to “Hell hath no fury like a Heechul pushed to the ground and robbed.” Heechul was mad, really really mad.

With the speed of a champion olympian Heechul started to catch up with the thief.

“YOU! GET BACK HERE RIGHT NOW! IF YOU PUT THE BAGS RIGHT NOW I WILL ONLY SNAP NINE OF YOUR FINGERS OFF!” Heechul screamed as he chase the thief.

Looking back, the thief saw Heechul’s angry face and couldn’t help but let out a small eep. The thief turned to another alleyway that was blocked by a wooden fence. Heechul saw this and smirked as he made chase.

“GIVE UP! YOU’RE TRAPPED!”

The thief continued running full speed, he then used one of the wooden boxes on the side as a step ladder before reaching towards the top of the fence and pulling himself up and over. Once the thief got over the fence he stopped for a moment to catch his breath. He heard Heechul cursing on the other side of the fence

“YOU DAMN BRAT! I’M GONNA PULL OUT YOUR INNARDS AND FEED THEM TO THE DOGS! JUST YOU WAIT!”

The thief winced and shouted back

“FOR A NOONA, YOU SURE ARE FAST! BUT NOT FAST ENOUGH! MUST BE BECAUSE OF YOUR OLD AGE NOONA!” The thief then laughed and clutched his aching stomach. After his laughter died down he wiped the tears off the corner of his eyes. He then noticed that his pursuer had been silent. He looked at the top of the fence and saw fingers clawing at the top. Heechul then pulled his body and straddled the fence.

“I. AM. GOING. TO. KILL. YOU.” Heechul jumped down from the fence looking positively murderous. The thief turned tail shouting for his dear life. Heechul’s lips slowly curved upwards as he heard his prey screaming out of terror. 

“SCREAM YOU COWARD! I WILL MAKE YOU CRY WHEN I CATCH YOU! THERE IS NO USE IN RUNNING! I WILL FIND YOU AND HURT THE *censored* OUT OF YOU” Heechul screamed and made chase.

After thirty minutes of hiding, running and climbing, the thief had finally managed to lose Heechul. After making sure to look if he was still being chased, he looked at the contents of his stolen loot. He found the formerly full bag of groceries to be almost empty. Under closer inspection he saw a giant hole at the bottom of the bag. He threw the other bag at Heechul while he was being chased in hopes of the other to finally stop chasing him. Heechul however didn’t even acknowledge the bag as he was determined to exact revenge through bodily pain. The thief shuddered as he imagined Heechul’s murderous glares, slanted eyes, bared teeth and fiery red hair billowing all around his face. Beautiful - but damn scary.

The thief pulled out the only remaining piece left on his stolen bag, a piece of bread. He placed it back inside the bag and securely wrapped it. With one last look he slowly walked towards the crowd.

Meanwhile, Hangeng caught up with Heechul by following the trail of groceries that are littered on the ground. He picked them up one by oneeven finding the bag of grocery that the thief threw at Heechul before he found the other sitting on a wooden box, exhausted. Heechul’s pony tail was undone leaving his hair windswept and strewn over his face some sticking to his forehead. Heechul noticed Geng and glared at him.
 “Where were you?! What took you so long?!” Heechul stood up.

“Woah, easy now. If you would look at the things that I’m holding maybe that’ll be enough to answer your question.”

Heechul looked down and saw the other carrying 7 bags of grocery. He then silently grabbed 3 bags from Hangeng before he spoke.

“Let’s go back to the noodle shop. Grandma Jean will surely have our heads.”

They returned to the noodle shop to find an angry Grandma Jean waiting for them.

“WHAT WHERE YOU TWO DOING THAT CAUSED YOU TO RETURN THIS LATE?!” Grandma Jean shouted causing the pair to flinch as they slowly unpacked all of their groceries.

“You see Grandma we were kinda held up because some thief stole a bag of grocery from us. Heechul chased after him.” Hangeng said.

“A thief you say? Are you boys alright?” Grandma’s angry face faltered and got instantly replaced by the concerned grandmotherly look.

“Yes, Grandma just a bit tired from the chase.” Heechul admitted.

Grandma Jean helped them unpack and made a new list of things to buy. He then gave the list to Heechul and asked him to buy them again in the market. Hangeng made his way to accompany Heechul only to be stopped by Grandma.

“Heechul can handle it, it’s just a few items. I need help preparing some of the ingredients for tomorrow.”

 

 


 

 


 

Heechul was able to buy everything on the list. He was confident that he got the right items because of his impromptu examination that morning. He was walking in the middle of the market when he saw a familiar yellow blur. He focused his eyes on the yellow blur and zoomed in on the thief. The thief was slightly taller than him, a bit on the skinny side, but still in good form. The thief’s face was startlingly handsome, defined jaw line, strong eyebrows, a bit of chubby cheeks indicating his youth and piercing eyes.


 

Baekho.jpg




Was this really the same thief that he was chasing a moment ago? He looked weary and desperate as he kept on moving and talking to various store owners.

Heechul decided to make his presence unknown and silently follow the thief.

“Aish, I told you. I have no need for anymore employees, go bother somebody else.” One of the store owners said.

“I can work really hard, I can clean and carry heavy items.” The thief pleaded. Heechul’s anger towards the thief had already diminished once he saw the thief’s face. His face was not the face of a hardened criminal, it was the face of a desperate individual in need of a chance.

“Look kid, I said no. Now go! Scram!” the store owner shooed him away.

The blonde thief hung his head and slowly turned towards an alley. Heechul started to slowly follow him when the rain began to pour. The thief looked up sadly and let the rain pour over his face. He was the picture of hopelessness   and desolation. Heechul had to fight back the urge to comfort the poor thief. It was at that moment when Heechul decided that he would help the thief no matter what. As he slowly approached the thief, he heard the other mumble before running towards somewhere.

Heechul decided to follow the thief. After a few moments the thief slowed down. Heechul looked at his surroundings, that the only time he noticed that he was at the lower district. The part of town where all the lower class lives, the thief turned in to an alley and crouched at a pile of rags. The pile of rags were partially roofed with make shift wooden boards that let a few drops of water trickle in.

 


IMG_0371.jpg

 


Heechul watched the scene as the thief nudged the pile of rags. Heechul then looked closer when he saw the pile of rags moving.  A tuft of blonde hair made it’s way out of the pile of rags as it continued moving. Heechul looked at the thief’s face expecting to find the overwhelming sadness that he saw earlier, what he saw baffled him. The thief was smiling warmly at the figure that on the pile of rags. The thief slowly adjusted the pile of rags to reveal the face of a beautiful boy with platinum blonde hair, cat eyes, plump lips, and flushed cheeks. To somebody who wasn’t akin to male beauty, they would see the figure as female; being a feminine man himself Heechul immediately knew that this figure was a boy.
 

 

video-nuest-unveils-teaser-of-ren_en-oi_

 

 

The thief touched the boy’s cheek caressing it, Heechul then noticed the shift of emotions on the thief’s face. The small smile was then replaced with a worried look as the thief placed his backhand on the boy’s forehead. The thief was beginning to panic as he obviously found something wrong with the young boy.Heechul decided to make his presence known. He went up to where the young boy laid. The thief look dumbfounded and immediately tensed when he saw Heechul. Heechul reached out to the young boy who was sleeping to take his temperature only to be stopped by the thief’s restraining hand.

“H-hey! Don’t touch him!” The thief looked at Heechul.

Heechul glared almost causing the thief to lose his group. “I am trying to take his temperature . Basing from his flushed cheeks, he has a high fever. Now either you remove your hand and let go of me so I can help your friend or we just sit here under the rain like idiots while your friend is ailing. What do you choose?” Heechul looked at him squarely.

The thief considered what Heechul said and removed his grip from Heechul’s wrist. Heechul felt the young boy’s forehead. He then noticed the young boy shaking violently.

“He’s burning up! He’s also shaking. Come on!” Heechul stood up.

“Wh-where are we going? I-I can’t leave him again.”

“Carry him STEW-pid!(stupid). We’ll bring him to Grandma Jean’s noodle house. COME ON!” Heechul urged the thief.

The other picked up the young boy, bridal style and grabbed a few rags to cover him from the rain. Heechul along with the thief carrying the boy ran through the rain towards Grandma Jean’s noodle store.

“GRANDMA JEAN! We need help!” Heechul yelled once he got in the shop. He let the thief in first and closed the door behind him.

Grandma Jean went downstairs in a hurry. “What is it? What’s wrong?”

Heechul pointed at the young boy cradled on the thief’s chest. Grandma Jean went over and checked on the young boy.

“Get him upstairs to the other spare room. Heechul put down those groceries and get some of your clothes.” Grandma Jean then called for Hangeng. When Hangeng came down his eyes went wide when he recognized the thief. He looked at Heechul and asked

“Isn’t he the one-” but before Hangeng could finish the sentence Grandma Jean interrupted him.

“Lead him to the spare room.” She said sternly. Hangeng nodded and asked the thief to follow him.

They laid the young boy down in to a cot when Heechul and Grandma Jean came in. Heechul had brought a fresh pair of clothes while Grandma Jean carried a basin of water and some wash cloths.

“We’re going to change his clothes, would you like us to or do you want to do it yourself?” Grandma Jean looked at the thief.

“I-i… you do it…” The thief blushed then stepped out of the room with Hangeng following him behind.

Grandma Jean and Heechul began to quickly remove the wet clothes and replace them with the fresh ones. Heechul was asked by Grandma Jean to wipe the young boy with the wash cloth until his fever went down. Grandma Jean went out of the room and looked at the thief.

“You, you can’t go in there while you are that dirty.” Grandma Jean then turned to Hangeng “Get him some of your clothes Geng and lead him to the baths.”

“I-is he okay?” The thief asked.

“Yes, he will be fine. Just a high fever and the chills, nothing a bowl of my famous noodles can’t cure I’m sure.” Grandma Jean smiled at him warmly causing the thief to smile back before looking down ashamed. How can these people help him even though he stole from them? He thought.

He felt a warm hand rest on his shoulder and looked up to see Geng smiling the same warm smile at him. “Come on, let’s find you some clothes and let’s get you a bath.”

Meanwhile, inside the room, the young boy woke up. The young boy looked at Heechul and spoke.

“W-who a-are you?”

“My name is Heechul. We found you sick at an alley. You’re in Grandma Jean’s Noodle House, you don’t have to worry. We’re going take care of you.” Heechul soothed the young boy.

The boy nooded and asked another question “Wh-where is...” he tried to say before a fit of cough overtook him.

Heechul rubbed the boy’s chest and grabbed a glass of water on the small table. He helped the boy sit up and brought the glass to his lips.

“If you’re looking for your friend, he’s outside.” Heechul watched as the young boy looked around the room. “You should get some rest.” He said.

The young boy nodded and settled down on the cot, burying himself under the covers. Heechul chuckled at the cute sight of blonde hair disappearing under the covers. Heechul went downstairs and found the thief newly washed and eagerly eating Grandma Jean’s noodles. Grandma Jean was seated with him eagerly placing spoonfuls of noodles in to the other’s bowl.

“Where did you come from hun?” Grandma Jean asked. The thief then placed his bowl down and tiled his head down.

“Grandma Jean is asking you a question Mr. Thief” Heechul said playfully.

“Mr. Thief?” Grandma Jean asked Heechul.

Heechul shrugged and answered her “He was the one who took the bags this morning.”

The thief then stood up from his stool and bowed down on the floor.

“I am sorry for this morning. Please don’t throw us out in the rain tonight. Just give us till morning until my friend has fully slept. Please, we will leave tomorrow morning and… i-I’ll find a job to pay for this meal. Just please wait for it, I will definitely pay you back along with the piece of bread that I stole.” The thief kneeled with his forehead touching the floor.

Grandma Jean looked at Heechul before speaking “Oh hun, stand up. We forgive you; by the looks of things, you were really desperate this morning that’s why you did that.”

The thief looked up “Re-really? H-how can all of you be so nice? We have been in this town for almost 2 weeks and you’re the first ones who have shown us any kindness. I even stole from you…”

“Who said all of us were nice?” Heechul went up to the thief and kneeled in front of him. “I will still get my revenge for making me chase you all around town and making me sweat.” Heechul whispered to the thief who visibly paled. Heechul then grabbed the other’s arm and pulled him to a stand.

“Go to your friend, there’s another cot beside his.” Heechul jerked his thumb towards the bedroom upstairs and pushed the other towards the stairs.

Hangeng who was silently viewing the whole exchange while leaning on the wall smirked. Just when he thought that he had Kim Heechul all figured out, he does something completely uncharacteristic. By the looks of it, Heechul had already made an attachment with both boys. Once the boy made his way upstairs, Hangeng spoke.

“Looks like someone has a bit of a sweet spot for thieves and homeless people” Hangeng playfully said.

“That could have been us…” Heechul looked sadly at Hangeng. “That could have been us Gengie, if Grandma Jean here didn’t take us in. What if I didn’t follow that kid today? What could have happened to the other one?”

Hangeng closed the gap not sure what to do to comfort the other. He settled by placing an awkward arm around Heechul’s shoulder. Grandma Jean smirked and slowly made her way to the stairs.

“You guys sleep early now. Also, you have to keep it down from now on. The walls between your room and theirs are paper thin.” Grandma Jean winked both at Heechul and Hangeng and laughed as she ascended the stairs.

Hangeng disregarded what old erted lady said and rubbed circles at Heechul’s back.

“Let’s get some sleep okay? We have a full day tomorrow.” Hangeng said as he pulled Heechul towards their bedroom.

 

 


 

 




The young boy woke up to a warm feeling that enveloped him. It was comfortable warmth that circulated throughout his body unlike the blistering - sweat-inducing warmth that he felt when his fever was at its peak. His eyes cracked open to find an unfamiliar sight; he was prepared to see trash and cobbled stones that permeate a certain cold that seeped through his makeshift cot and filthy clothing welcoming him from his deep sleep only to be greeted by a clean room, fresh clothes and a comfortable warmth.

Now fully awake, he tried to turn to survey the whole room only to be stopped by a weight that encircled his waist. This occurrence no longer surprised him. He was used to his friend’s need for something to cuddle with while he slept. He slowly turned his body to face his friend, careful to not wake the other boy up. The young boy looked at his friends sleeping face. Unlike him, his friend had a very manly face, even though they were the same age people would see them as siblings. With mouth slightly open, forehead relaxed and eyes closed his friends true age showed. This was the expression that he terribly missed, throughout the weeks that they have journeyed together, his friend’s face slowly turned hard. His lips were pressed thinly, his forehead always creased and his eyes were always angry.

Slowly, the other boy opened his eyes to find his friend staring at him. His lips slowly curled in to a smile and his eyes brightened.

“How are you feeling?”

“Good, my fever is gone and my body is no longer sore. You?”

“Good and refreshed.”

“How did we end up here?” the young boy asked.

“There was this well… at first I thought he was a noona but actually he was a hyung. I sort of kinda stolefromhimandhechasedme.” The other boy, spoke too quickly.

“What was that?”

“I said…” the other boy sighed before he continued. “I stole from him and he chased me. Remember the bread that I gave you yesterday?”

The young boy nodded.

“Well that was it…” The other boy averted his gaze.

“I figured as much…”

“You knew?”

“I am not dumb you know, there aren’t many people who will give you free food without compensation. I’m assuming that you have been stealing the food that we have been eating since we got to the city right?”

“I-I had to no choice. I tried looking for a job but no one would hire me, then you were sick and -” the younger boy pressed his finger to the other’s lips to stop him.

“I know, I’m sorry. If I wasn’t so sickly maybe I would have found a job as well.”

Then suddenly a voice coming from the door startled the two.

“I may have a solution regarding your job seeking problems” Heechul said as he leaned on the door frame closely eyeing the two boys that were still locked in an embrace.

“A word of advice, don’t let Grandma Jean see you two cuddling like that. She has an overactive imagination. Next thing you know is she’ll be asking for grandchildren.” Heechul laughed causing the two boys to break apart after getting their apparent skinship noticed. “Now get your butts downstairs, breakfast time. We have a lot to talk about you two.”

Heechul turned and went downstairs to the kitchen with the other boys following him close behind. Grandma Jean was already bringing a large bowl of food to the table while Hangeng just finished setting the plates. Grandma Jean beckoned them all to sit and eat. After everyone was done eating, the store owner and employees looked at the two boys.

“So, now that everyone is feeling full and better I might as well start with the introductions.” Heechul started. “My name is Kim Heechul and that over there is Hangeng” Heechul gestured to himself then pointed at Hangeng. “We are store employees working for Grandma Jean over there.” Grandma Jean smiled warmly at the two boys before scooping another ladle full of noodles and putting it on the other boy’s bowl.

“My name is Kang Dongho but I highly prefer to be called Baekho” the taller of the two boys answered in a confident but slightly shaky voice. He then looked at his friend and nodded at him to introduce himself.

The boy stood up from his seat “And my name is Choi Minki, people call me Ren.”  Then bowed a full 90 degrees.

“So, what are two young boys like yourselves doing in a town like this? Where are your parents?” Heechul asked.

“We’re not that young, we are both 15 years old.” Baekho said proudly. “As for what we are doing here and our parents, that is not something that we can tell you.”

“Eh? But -” Heechul started only to be stopped by Hangeng.

“They have their own reasons Chullie, just like we have ours.” Hangeng eyed the two boys critically. “Also, you wouldn’t want to scare away our new co-employees now do you?”

Heechul nodded and smiled at the two.

“Co-employees?” Ren asked unsure if he heard right.

This time it was Grandma Jean who spoke. “Yes deary, I know the both of you young boys have no place to stay and jobs to feed you. My noodle shop has been somewhat a wayward house for young boys to go to.” Grandma Jean smiled fondly at Heechul and Hangeng causing the two to avert their gazes in to what seemingly interesting inanimate objects.

Baekho and Ren looked at each other with the biggest smiles on their faces before the both of them swooped in and gave Grandma Jean a huge hug. Grandma Jean who was startled at first soon returned the hug giving the two young boys a grandmotherly embrace.

“You won’t regret this; we’ll work really really hard Grandma Jean.” Baekho spoke before he turned to Heechul. “Thank you as well noo- I mean hyung for bringing us here to this noodle shop.” Baekho moved in and gave Heechul a great bear hug and lifted him off the floor.

Like a drowning cat, Heechul thrashed before smacking Baecko at the back of his head. “Yah what are you doing you man-kid?! Put me down!” He kept smacking Baekho’s head before the other finally relented and placed him back on the floor. Baekho scratched his head in a clear sign of apology.

Grandma Jean spoke ‘Now, now boys. We have to open the shop. Hangeng teach Baekho your responsibilities.’ Grandma Jean then looked at Ren in a gleeful smile which made the other quite uncomfortable. Heechul and Hangeng both knew that look. Grandma Jean grabbed Ren’s wrist along with Heechul. “Now you boys get the shop ready while I get these two suited up. Something tells me after today our male customers will double.” Grandma Jean dragged Heechul and Ren with the strength that a grandmother shouldn’t have.

Baekho looked nervously at Hangeng. “Hyung, will Ren be alright?”

Hangeng just smiled. “Word of advice kid, think carefully on what you are about to say when you see your friend.” He then remembered what he said to Heechul the first time he saw him and the subsequent pains that he was put under for saying something stupid.

 

 


 

 

 


Grandma Jean and Heechul worked on Ren first.

“Wh-what will I be doing exactly?” Ren asked. Heechul gave him a look of pity before Grandma Jean answered.

“You my beautiful, will be a waitress.”

“Don’t you mean waiter?” Ren asked.

“No, she means exactly just that. Look kid, we’re going to dress you up in a hanbok. You don’t have to worry about talking to the customers. I will be getting their orders, you just have to bring the dishes to the tables okay?” Heechul reassured his dongseang.

“Bwo? Me? In a dress? B-but…”

“No buts, after I’m done with you that’s the only time you can complain.” Grandma Jean said. She then began to brush Ren’s hair while Heechul grabbed a hanbok.

Meanwhile downstairs in the kitchens Hangeng was busy teaching Baekho the basics of his tasks when Grandma Jean coughed behind them, behind her Heechul came down the stairs. Hangeng was already used to Kim Heechul’s female appearance but, he never expected the other to be wearing a new hanbok. The lower part of the hanbok was blood red, complimenting the fiery red hair that Heechul was known for. The upper part of the hanbok was pure white with small hand-stitched flowers on the collar and the sleeves. Heechul’s hair was done messily but still somehow complimented his overall look, it was done in a loose pony tail that left strands in front to make bangs.

 

 

www.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuooLV9g2lerzXpUczXPV

 

 

 


Baekho was stunned, “Hyu-oona?” was his first response. He shook himself and tried again “Noo-yung?”

Heechul took pity on the poor boy, “It’s hyung. When we are in the store, under store hours, you will need to call me noona.” Heechul then looked at Hangeng.

Hangeng was leaning on the kitchen sink with his arms crossed in front of him. He took in the sight of Heechul and mentally coached himself. You can do this Hangeng. Just take the advice that you gave to the kid a while ago. Now go.

“You look beautiful as usual Chullie” Hangeng proud of himself for not screwing up gave himself a pat on the back and grinned at Heechul. His grin however slowly fell away as he saw Heechul glaring at him. What did I do? He kept on thinking what he did wrong to receive the glare coming from Heechul.

“What do you mean as always? This is a new hanbok! You’re supposed to say I look even prettier!” Heechul shouted half-heartedly. He was just messing with Hangeng of course; he liked seeing the other very uncomfortable, internally laughing at Hangeng’s facial reactions.

Quick Hangeng, think, think of something to say, he thought to himself. Hangeng racked his brain for a way to appease Heechul. “Uhh no - what I meant was… No matter what you wear you always look beautiful.”

Heechul did not expect that answer coming. His cheeks blushed on their own. He then called out Ren to deviate the attention from his rosy cheeks.

“Ren come down here!”

Slowly, Ren came down the stairs. Ren was gorgeous! He was wearing a black hanbok that had silver flowers on it. His pale complexion along with his platinum blonde hair was a shocking contrast from the black cloth that he wore. His messy hair was pulled back and his fringe made a white curtain over his forehead. His eyes we’re outlined with black kohl and his lips were painted light pink.

 

ApPG9yRCQAIHSxh.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRWvl4vHkQGzZX4tIo3-Z

 



This time it was Hangeng who spoke first. “You look really good Ren. That black hanbok suits you.”

Ren fumbled at the bow of his hanbok self-conciously. “Thanks hyung… it feels weird though…”

“Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it, just remember to call me noona while there are customers okay?” Heechul reassured Ren. “I’m sure with the both of us working for the shop, the customers will double. Come on, look at us. We’re practically goddesses.” Heechul laughed making Ren laugh as well.

Grandma Jean let out another cough. “Baekho, you haven’t spoken a word. How does Ren look?”

Baekho’s mouth was hanging open and his eyes were unblinking. Hangeng pushed his mouth up and gestured to Ren. After a few more moments of immobility, he finally showed signs of life.

“Ren? Is that you?”

Ren immediately looked down and was fumbling with the ribbon on his hanbok again.

“Y-yeah, how do I look?” He finally raised his head.

“W-what have they done to you?” Baekho ignored Ren’s question. At the minds of Heechul, Grandma Jean and Hangeng all of them mentally face palmed.

“We haven’t done anything that drastic. He looks good and we would be opening the shop now.” Heechul narrowed his eyes at Baekho and pulled Ren with him to the shop.

Hangeng whispered to Baekho “I told you, think about what you’re going to say first kid. Thank you though…”

“Thank you? Why? What did I do?”

“You took my place as the guy who said the stupidest thing.” Hangeng laughed as he left a bewildered Baekho.

Everything ran smoothly, word got out that the noodle shop had a new addition on the wait staff. The amount of male customers that come and goes increased. There were a few incidents where the timid Ren would be harassed, but it only took one word to get a raging Heechul on his side under 2 seconds flat to deter the male populace. Like Hangeng, Baekho was messing left and right once he saw the entirely male populace salivating at Ren.
 

 


 

 

 

Later that night Heechul and Hangeng decided to tell Grandma Jean of their plan to join the guild. The five of them were gathered on the dinner table. While eating, Heechul spoke

“Grandma Jean, you do know that me and Hangeng are not done with our adventure right?”

“Ah yes, you did mention that you will only be helping me to raise the shop again. I was hoping you could stay with me for much longer though then finally I’ll give the shop to you guys when you get married and raise kids.”

Hangeng chocked while drinking his glass of water while Heechul spluttered, “W-what are you saying Grandma Jean?! We told you we’re not involved like that, besides we can’t have kids.” Hangeng coughed and nodded his head vigorously, not trusting his voice yet to speak.

“Well I didn’t say that it would be the two of you that would get married.” Grandma Jean smirked. “You could find wives and use this noodle shop as a temporary house but if you insist that the two of you will get married…”

“AIYO! Grandma Jean! Don’t twist what I just said!” Heechul blushed.

Baekho and Ren looked at each other trying hard to contain their laughter. Heechul heard Baekho snigger then the next moment a spoon chopstick was making its way towards Baekho’s head.

“YOU TWO! It’s past your bedtime! Go to your rooms!” Heechul yelled at the two of them. The pair immediately stood up and ran to their rooms.

“Now as we we’re saying…” it was Hangeng who spoke this time. “In order to continue our adventure grandma we would need to cross the ocean. We need to get on a boat. The ticket would cost us 200 gold pieces EACH.”

“Working here wouldn’t be enough Grandma Jean, that’s why we figured that we could join the guild.” Heechul finished. Grandma Jean placed her chopsticks down and pursed her lips. It was the first both Heechul and Hangeng saw Grandma Jean frown genuinely. Heechul then decided to proceed cautiously.

“One of the requirements for the admission was basic healing… Remember the time when you asked me to get you your book of medicines in your room…” Heechul slowly said.

“Let me guess, you want me to teach you basic healing?” Grandma Jean cut to the point.

Heechul looked at Hangeng before looking back at Grandma Jean. “Yes Grandma Jean, will you please teach me?”

“No. I refuse to help you put yourself in harms way to join that wretched guild.” Grandma Jean’s face was filled with hate and anger, there was a third emotion those old gray eyes, was it pain? Yes, it was pain, but not just some superficial kind of pain. A very deep seated kind of pain flitted behind her eyes, but why? Heechul questioned himself. What could have happened to make Grandma Jean this bitter against the guild?

“But Grand-” Heechul started only to be cut off by Grandma Jean.

“No, Heechul…” the anger and hate dissipated from her eyes, what remained evident was this ancient pain that she had harbored through the years.

Hangeng grasped Heechul’s elbow and shook his head. Heechul looked at the pleading eyes of Grandma Jean before he sighed and nodded.
 

“You can however borrow it, I also have some books regarding plants and potion making. Don’t ask me why I have them; I will bring them down here tomorrow.” Grandma Jean said with a certain finality to her tone.

 




After 1 week of self-study, Heechul could still not make heads or tails what he was reading. He’s an exemplary student, but learning the 3 skills that he needed for the guild admission would take practical application. Meaning he not only needs to read the book to understand it, but he also has to draw his own conclusions and do the practical side of it as well. For botany, bleak descriptions of certain plants cannot be exchange with seeing the plant first hand, for healing some of the basic procedures should be shown by an experienced practitioner for it to stick. Potions would remain to be the hardest, for it requires both the skill in basic healing and botany in order for the potion brewing to commence. Heechul was lost, really lost. They only had 24 days left before the guild admission exam and Hangeng still has not begun training in the art of battle. Not only were some of the training dojos pricey, the training was also slow.

“Kamsahamnida!” Heechul yelled after the customer as he started to close the shop.

“Noona, there is still someone here…” Ren pointed at a man slouched with his head down on the table.

“Can you wake him up Ren?”

“Ajusshi, excuse me ajusshi…” Ren peered over the man to find bowls of noodles and bottles of soju in the man’s table. He then crinckled his nose as the scent of alcohol wafted from the ajusshi’s body.

“He’s drunk noona…”

“Aish, how is that possible? We don’t even sell soju! Don’t come near him let’s get Hangeng and Baekho to him out.” Heechul motioned Ren to get away from the drunken ajusshi when the ajusshi suddenly moved and pulled him to sit on his lap.

“Well what do we have here? Such a beautiful-” the ajuhsshi brushed Ren’s fringe in order to see his face better when Heechul instantly appeared on his side.

“Let my friend go, ajusshi. I don’t want to hurt a customer.” Heechul threatened him.

The ajusshi simply smiled at him and petulantly said

“Don’t wanna…”

With lightning speed, Heechul’s hand was on its way to smack the living day lights off the ajusshi. Inches away from impact, Heechul wrist was held by the ajusshi.

“OHO, we have a quick one here ei? Now that I look closer you are much more beautiful.” With a sudden tug, Ren and Heechul’s places were exchanged. Heechul's hand were trapped to his side and restrained by the ajusshi.

“Call for help Ren!”

Ren quickly ran towards the kitchen leaving Heechul at the lap of the ajusshi.

“Don’t worry beautiful I won’t hurt. I’m merely looking, I just like looking at beautiful things up close, in fact I traveled -”

“LET HIM GO!” Hangeng yelled from across the room. Baekho soon came out from the kitchen with a cryingRen hidden behind his back.

“Now now boys, me and beautiful here were just talking. What’s this? Why is the young one crying? I am terribly -”

“YOU OLD BASTARD! YOU DID THIS!” Baekho charged at the old man. Baekho  who was filled with rage planned on charging at the ajusshi at full speed, not even considering that Heechul was along his charging path. The next thing that happened was, Heechul was still sitting at Ajusshi’s lap who apparently did not move an inch from where he was sitting while Baekho was on the floor behind them.

“Now, now boys. No need for name calling i’m just here to-”

“Prey on defenseless waitresses?” Heechul interrupted as he gave the ajusshi his most deadliest glares.

Baekho stood up and charged yet again only to avail similar results as before.

“What the ?” Baekho cursed as he slowly stood up. He planned on charging again only to be restrained by Hangeng.

“Stop it, it’s evident that we are outmatched. He barely even moved, not to mention he had Heechul sitting on his lap and yet you haven’t laid a hand on him.” Hangeng analyzed the Ajusshi’s moves. He could only see a blur and a flying limb every time the ajusshi got charged by Baekho.

“Very Intuitive… you show promise when it comes to-” The ajusshi now let go of Heechul as he dodged 2 chairs simultaneously thrown to him by Hangeng. Heechul took this chance to run to Hangeng’s back.

“I knew it, consecutive attacks would counteract your defense…” Hangeng grinned triumphantly.

“I-I don’t get it hyung, how did you know that?” Baekho asked Hangeng.

“Well if you would just stop charging at him and watch how he moved maybe you would have come up with the same conclusion.” It was Heechul who answered this time.

The ajusshi laughed loudly “VERY GOOD! Crafty and Intuitive…” The Ajusshi then moved his hand underneath his cloak and retrieved a sword. Ren and Baekho gasped at the sight while Heechul stiffened and Hangeng angled his body to cover the younger ones.

“Now, I want to test something.” He slowly walked clockwise causing the group to move clockwise as well to keep the distance between them. This time it was the ajusshi whose back was to the kitchen door. “Stay Alert young ones, you don’t know when an attack may happen. You just have to be re-”

*WHUMP

Grandma Jean whacked a huge frying pan on top of the Ajusshi causing him to flinch and drop his sword.

“OUCH! GODDAMNIT WOMAN! YOU DIDN’T HAVE TO DO THAT!”

“AND WHY NOT ALISTAIR?! YOU WERE SCARING MY KIDS!” Grandma Jean yelled back.

Grandma Jean and this so called Alistair glared at each other. Alistair then picked up his sword again making Hangeng and the group stiffen.

“RUN GRANDMA!” Ren yelled out.

Grandma Jean simply crossed her arms over her chest with her frying pan still in hand. Alistair merely raised his eyebrow at Ren and placed the sword back under his cloak.

“Jean! I have missed you, how have you-”
 
*WHUMP

“BLOODY HELL WOMAN?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS DAMN NOODLE SHOP?! WHY CAN’T ANYONE LET ME FINISH MY BLOODY SENTENCE!?!?” Alistair yelled.

“You-you know each other?” Ren asked Grandma Jean.

Grandma Jean placed the frying pan on the table and sighed. “This is Alistair, I’ve known him since we were kids.” Grandma Jean pinched the bridge of her nose and asked her friend irritably. “What are you doing here Alistair?! Don’t tell me you’re looking for a place to stay in? I’d rather die than let you sleep here. Besides, we have no free rooms.” 

“I was just looking for a place to eat actually the inn that I am currently residing on has terrible food, but thank you for the invitation to sleep here nonetheless.” Alistair said.

“If you are quite done, Alistair. Can you leave? We still have to clean up the store, and I’d rather clean the store without you trying to constantly harass my girls.” Grandma Jean said.

“I will admit that they are prettier than most of the women here in the city of Edyssil, but I might have to disagree on the “girls” part.” Alistair drew air quotes as he said girls. “These two are beautiful boys.”

“Oh congratulations Alistair” Jean approached him. “You are so great!” She then added with heavy sarcasm. “Now you can run to the towns people and divulge our secret and ruin the shop just like you have ruined everything in my life.”

“I-I wouldn’t say a word Jean.” Alistair said. Alistair and Jean looked at each other for the longest time before someone interrupted them.

“Grandma Jean? Who is he exactly? Why are you so mad at him?” Hangeng asked.
 

 

old_knight_by_narrator366.jpg



“That man standing over there is the man that got my one and only grandchild killed. He is the Guild Master of that precious guild that you so badly want. His full name is Alistair Descartes.”


Grandma Jean stormed upstairs in to her room. The five remaining at the store stared at the door that grandma Jean left through. After a minute of silence, Heechul spoke.


“So? Is it true? What she said?” Heechul asked Alistair.

“You better sit down kids, it’s going to be a long story.”

 

 


 

 



Baekho, Ren, Heechul and Hangeng sat down and watched Alistair pace around the room. Alistair was silently mumbling, head filled with thoughts and would suddenly stop as if remembering something before continuing his pacing again. Heechul was getting impatient, he coughed loudly in order to get Alistair’s attention. The said man was then shook out of his musings and faced the 4.

“Has Jean ever told you about her grandson?”

“She did mention him a couple of times, but she didn’t go in to any details. She just kept on saying that he looked like Heechul.” Hangeng answered.

Heechul felt Alistair’s gaze falling upon him, he stared back not refusing to back down from the old man’s gaze. Alistair just smirked and nodded.

“You do really look like Jean’s grandchild.” Alistair continued pacing “Her grandchild died during the guild admissions.” Alistair’s eyes filled with pain and despair as is slowly glazed over in remembrance.

“In every guild admission graduation, it has been a tradition for the newly appointed Guild member to lead a team of veteran guild members in to a hunt. The new recruit would have to show his strength, intelligence and even people skills in order to successfully hunt an agma. Normally a guild master wouldn’t be part of this team as it would promote favoritism among the recruits. There was a major agma attack on the borders of the kingdom that’s why most of the guild members were out of the city. In keeping with the tradition, a new recruit must be able to hunt down an agma within 5 days of his acceptance; only 3 guild members were present in the guild hall not including myself.”

Alistair removed his cloak, revealing the plate armor and the sword that he had hidden underneath. He folded his cloak before taking a seat in front of his 4 story listeners.

“I decided to be the 4th member of the team along with Jean’s grandchild making our team the complete number of five. It was supposed to be an easy hunt; our reports said that there was an injured agma located on a cave not far from here. He lead the team well, even though he only needed to hunt down an already injured agma while the guild master himself accompanied him, he still planned carefully and flawlessly. He really was the grandchild of Jean… ” Alistair stared at Heechul and smiled at him fondly. After a while he continued telling his story.

“It was a good plan, we scouted the cave first before attacking. Our scout bore fruit as we found a second entrance carefully hidden from view, no doubt an escape route. He divided the teams, 3 members would go inside the tunnel and force the agma to flee and predictably use the escape round only to meet us both waiting for it there.”

“The team of three advanced in to the cave making as much noise and racket as possible. Jean’s grandchild and I were waiting for the agma to appear out of the escape route. A full minute passed and we could hear no sounds of yelling no longer.”

“Those 3 members were no green horns. They knew how to deal with an agma and I was confident that each of them could battle 2 agmas individually at the same time. We waited for a few more minutes before we decided to enter the cave using the escape route.”

Alistair stood up again and began pacing.

“What we found… It was a blood-bath, limbs and entrails were all over the cave walls and floors. You see, it was not an injured agma, it was a pregnant brood mother.”

Baekho and Ren looked at each other with wide eyes before schooling their expressions, Heechul saw this and decided to bring this topic up later with them. Hangeng looked at Alistair in confusion.

“A what?” Hangeng asked.

“Brood mother, nasty little ers those things are, huge creature with tentacles for arms and a fat bald body with a row of drooping on the center."




 

Brood-Mother-009.jpg

 

 


"They give birth to low ranking agmas by the dozen and would commonly be placed by high ranking agmas on place near those they want to conquer. When I saw that brood mother that’s when I realized what their original plan was. The outskirt of the kingdom was well guarded, not only by the Guild but also the royal guard. It didn’t make sense that they would target it. ”

Alistair unbelted his sword and leaned it on the wall.


“They were using that as a diversion to plant brood mothers all around the city of Edyssil limits. The brood mother then spotted us and gave out this horrendous scream. Its tentacles swung wildly us trying to smash us in to a pulp. While we were busy dodging the tentacles I saw a constant rippling on the brood mother’s belly. By then I knew that it was ready to give birth. I swung at the tentacles that came my way with renewed vigor. I had to kill the brood mother before it gave birth. I sliced the tentacles with Jean’s grandchild guarding my rear. We we’re slowly making our way towards the belly when a huge tentacle swung at me and threw me twenty feet across the cavern before smacking at the cave wall. ”

Alistair’s eyes were filled with pain, Heechul wanted to comfort the old man but he decided against it. Heechul had somewhat a hunch on what would happen next. He then guessed that the pain behind Alistair’s eyes were not because of the remembrance of that mighty hit against him, it was because of the painful event that he was about to retell.

“I opened my eyes and saw Jean’s grandchild climbing the brood mother, using his twin daggers to alternately stab and pull himself up. There was only one tentacle left, the brood mother swung its tentacle on his back repeatedly, desperately trying to fend him off. A powerful swing hit his right arm causing his blade to clatter towards the ground and his hand to fall limply at his side. I don’t know how he did it with only one hand still holding the blade that kept him from falling, but he was able to get a glowing white vial that was strapped at his neck. Just by looking at it I knew what it was a poison called “the goddess’ revenge”, it was a pure white liquid that shone faintly in that’s why some guild members used to make a necklace with a phial full of it as it glowed and gave light even at the darkest of areas. Usually it was coated around swords and knives to make killing more efficient and as a precaution if a non-fatally stabbed agma would be able to escape.”

He cleared his throat and continued.

“He inherited his potion skills from none other than Jean. He knew his way around botany thus he was able to locate the plants that he need to brew it. From his knowledge in medicine however, he already knew that such little dose would not kill the brood mother and the children inside her. That’s why he took the pains of climbing towards the heart of the brood mother intending to inject it there, so that the poison would be able to circulate the blood stream quicker than sticking it on a tentacle.”

Alistair’s body slumped and he decided to sit down again.

“With his right arm uselessly on his side, probably dislocated at the shoulder and his left arm busy holding on to the dagger that kept him from tumbling down the body of the brood mother. He bit the flesh over the brood mother’s heart. He pulled himself up and found a steady foothold before quickly removing his arm from the dagger and shoving the contents of the phial at the wound that he opened.”

“I slowly stood up as I saw the brood mother trashing in pain, I saw veins of black slowly spreading throughout the brood mother’s skin slowly killing it. It was then that I saw a head of an agma pop out from the belly of its mother. We were too late, the agmas were already disconnected from the brood mother thus the poison would no longer reach them. Newly born agmas were much stronger and faster than older ones. I knew that I would not survive that day. 5 agmas I could take no problem, 8? I probably could, but a dozen new borns? Agmas were getting stronger every year, that brood mother was double the size of a regular brood mother. That could also mean that it could carry double the amount of newborns inside it.”

“Pretty soon the brood mother slumped dead, at least it was one less enemy to mind. I started to charge for the brood mother as I saw the first agma release its arms from his mother’s body, its whole upper body was now out and is slowly crawling out his mother’s body. The opening was also growing, I could see a few arms poking through the brood mothers belly, newborns did not care for their birth givers, usually they pop out by eating their mothers inside out. A few more heads popped out as I started to run. The belly was about to burst any second, releasing the quite possible two dozen agmas inside.”

“Jean’s grandchild yelled at me to stop. He was standing on the brood mother’s swollen belly. Surprised, I did what he told me. He then fished out a red phial from his pocket. It was hellfire, it was a potion that burned everything that it touched and caused explosions all around it. I yelled at him to get down and allow me throw the phial at the belly. He shook his head as he slowly uncapped it with his teeth.”

“IT’S TOO LATE! GET OUR OF HERE! I WOULDN’T BE ABLE TO GET DOWN FROM HERE IN MY CURRENT SITUATION!”

“That’s what Jean’s grandchild yelled at me before he threw the phial down the belly of the beast.” Alistair said as some of the tears that he was trying to hold back were released.

“After that, the belly began to burn and a series of small explosions shook the cave’s foundation. I ran towards him only to be blasted back by a sudden explosion. I tried to get up but huge rocks fell from the ceiling and blocked the cave.”

“I woke up to find the whole city under siege, it was a miracle that my second in command saw through the diversion and pulled out all the guild members in order to protect the City of Edyssil. We were able to fend off the invasion and protect the city. After every agma’s corpse were rounded and brought to a pit for burning I told my second in command about my plan to leave the guild. That old fool practically refused his promotion; he really was the type to go by the book. The Guild rule book said that only in death could the Guild Master be replaced. Nevertheless he let me go and promised to take charge of the guild while I was absent from duty.”

 

 


 

 



“This is the first time I will set foot on my beloved city after 5 years since that incident. Why have I returned? That is a story to tell for another day. For now I have left you much things to ponder on and -”

Little did they know, Grandma Jean was on the other side of the door listening. This was the first time he heard Alistair explain his side of the story. The pain she felt after hearing of her grandchild’s was enough to drive her temporarily insane. She couldn’t even look at Alistair much less talk to him that day. She came through the door and looked at Alistair.

“Did you hear everything that I sad?” Alistair questioned Jean not even surprised that she was listening.

“Oh stop the charades Alistair, you have known me since we were toddlers, you always knew it when I would eavesdrop on you and you’re friends. I see that old age hasn’t diminished your senses.”

Alistair laughed and smiled at Jean “and I see that old age hasn’t diminished your beauty.”

After an uncomfortable minute passed Heechul cleared his throat, no doubt reeling from the fact that this new comer was shamelessly flirting with Grandma Jean right in front of them.

Grandma Jean turned to Heechul and Hangeng, “After hearing this story do you still want to join this bloody guild?”

Heechul and Hangeng looked at each other with unwavering determination. Grandma Jean knew from that look what their answers would be.

“Yes Grandma Jean!” Hangeng and Heechul answered at the same time.

Grandma Jean sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose “Then you guys better be ready for bed. Heechul you will learn botany with me tomorrow as Hangeng trains with Alistair.” She then looked at Alistair as she spoke the last parts of her sentence.

“I have lost my grandchild once Alistair, you will do damn well to teach Hangeng here everything you know to keep me from losing another.” Grandma Jean’s glare could shame Heechul the way she looked at Alistair.

“Then I guess the Guild wouldn’t be having their Master back for another month, seeing that I would be training this punk right here.”

Heechul and Hangeng both wore big smiles on their faces as they now both have a teacher to guide them and teach them everything that they needed to know. Baekho and Ren unnoticeably slipped out from the background and went to their quarters as the students and teachers discussed what is needed to be taught.

Upstairs, Baekho closed the door to their room and looked at Ren. “Should we tell them Ren?” Baekho asked the other.

“Not yet Baekho, not just yet…”

 

 


 


A/N: VERY IMPORTANT, PLEASE PLAY THIS SONG WHILE READING THE STORY BELOW

 

 

 

 

 






Grandma Jean went down the stairs after sometime to see if Alistair had already left. She was about to open the door when she heard Alistair’s words. She was telling the story of how her grandchild died. She decided to lean over and press her ears at the door.

As Alistair told the story, Grandma Jean would be suddenly caught in sudden flashes of memories.

 


 


*FLASHBACK
 


(SCENE: Inside a room where a baby crib was located and a younger version of Granma Jean stood over it.)



“You are such a beautiful little thing.” Jean’s tears fell from her eyes and a single tear drop fell on the baby’s face.

She tenderly brushed it with her thumb when they baby’s eyes opened. A pair of huge chocolate brown eyes stared right back at her, they were engaged in this staring contest for an immeasurable amount of time. Neither of the two wanted to break the connection they both held. The baby’s eyes then began to tear up as the baby started to cry.

Jean gently lifted the baby and cradled him on her arms.

“Shhh, shhh….” She tried to soothe the baby “Sorry for upsetting you my grandchild. Grandma just misses your Mama and Papa.” Apparently this was the wrong thing to say as the baby cried louder.

“Don’t worry my baby, I know your mama and papa are looking out for you and guarding you always from heaven. Also, I happen to be a very cool grandma, I promise we would have loads of fun together okay?”

The little baby’s cries began to subside and were replaced by joyful baby laughter. Jean couldn’t help but laugh along at the sheer sound of it.
 

*END OF FLASHBACK

 



Grandma Jean smiled at the memory and continued listening in Alistair’s story.

 


 

 



*FLASHBACK



(SCENE: In the living room, where the baby was seated on Jeans lap while she was reading a book.)



“ammm”

“ramm”

“Graaaamm”

After listening a lot more closely to what she thought was just baby ramblings she heard a word that made her heart leap.

“Graaammmmaaa”

She placed her book down and looked at the baby sitting at her lap. The baby was faced to her with both his little arms outstretched towards her as if asking to be picked up.

“What did you say baby? Can you repeat it again?”

“Grammmmaa” the baby repeated.


*END OF FLASHBACK

 




*FLASHBACK


(SCENE: Flower field, a three year old boy was running through the fields with Jean close behind. )



“Baby don’t run too fast! You might trip!” Jean called out to the three year old boy.

“I will be careful grandma!” The young boy then crouched down and picked a couple of flowers before running full speed to his Grandma. The young boy suddenly came to a full stop in front of Jean and shoved a fistful of flowers towards her. “For you grandma! Pretty flowers, just like you!”

Jean took the flowers and smelled their lovely aroma. “My my, 3 years old and you already know how to charm the ladies. You will grow up to be quite the ladies man.”

The young boy’s face contorted “Eww, girls are icky!”



*END OF FLASHBACK

 


 

 

Alistair was already at the middle of his story, Grandma Jean couldn’t help but laught at the memory as tears slowly cascaded from her cheeks.

 


 

 

*FLASHBACK



“Grandma, I want to do it! I have to do it! I'm ready now!” her grandchild was already 14 years old in this memory.

“But it’s dangerous baby, you might get hurt. Don’t you want to inherit this noodle shop and continue running it?” Jean said to her grandchild.

“But that’s not my dream grandma, I just know that if I let this opportunity pass I will regret this haunt me forever. I have to join the guild.”

“You’re only 14! The requirement age is 15. Why can’t you wait till the next Guild Admissions?”

“But he won’t be here by then! It would all be useless! Please grandma! I'm ready now!”

“Who baby? Who won’t be here by then?” Jean asked clearly confused on who was her grandchild talking about.

“I-It’s not that important, I’m also doing it for myself. Please grandma, let me go.”

“The answer is no, and that is final!”

“I HATE YOU!” Her grandchild yelled as he ran away from the room.

It felt like a sharp dagger was impaled through her heart when she heard him say that. She was crying but she knew that it was the right decision to make.
 

* END OF FLASH BACK

 


 

 

Alistair finished his story.

 


 

 



*FLASHBACK


At the night of their fight, the day before the guild admissions test, her grandchild left via his window and left for the guild hall. When Jean woke went upstairs that morning and found her grandchild’s belonging missing, she immediately ran towards the guild hall.

Once the applicant signs over his waiver to the guild members, the applicant is restricted access to the people outside. Jean waited with abated breath for one month before she finally caught a glimpse of her grandchild. He was on top of the stage at the center of Edyssil courtyard, technically he was now a new guild member but he will be only recognized as one once he was able to kill his first agma. He went down the stage not noticing his Grandmother’s frantic waving and got carried away by the current of guild members that were making their way towards the guild hall.

Jean saw Alistair and grabbed his arm. “Keep my grandchild alive, please. If you do that…” Jean thought of something she could give to this man. “If you do that… I will finally forgive you. Just please keep my grandchild alive.”

Alistair looked at Jean with a new sense of hope with her words. He nodded then left for the guild hall.

After two days, she opened the door to her shop when she heard a series of knocks. She removed the barricades that she set up because of the Agma invasion and found a battle stained Alistair staring at her.

Alistair had a look of devastation as he slowly fished out a small trinket from his pocket. It was the trinket that Jean gave to her grand child when he was still a kid. Jean slowly took the trinket from Alistair’s palms not sure what to do with it.

 

Trash-and-Trinkets-Dragonfly.jpg

 

 

“Where is he Alistair?” She peered behind Alistair willing her grandchild to be behind him. Slowly it sunk to her.

“WHERE IS HE ALISTAIR?! WHY ISN’T HE HERE WITH YOU?!” Jean began to pound her fist on Alistairs armor. Her fists began to bleed as she hit the dented plate of steel, nevertheless she continued pounding her fists on it until Alistair grabbed her wrists.

“Jean, he…”

“NO! NO! NO! NO! YOU PROMISED ME! YOU PROMISED ME YOU LIAR YOU PROMISED THAT YOU  WILL KEEP HIM SAFE!” Jean began to trash against Alistair’s hold.

“MY BABY!” Jean screamed fulled of utter pain and desolation. Slowly she sunk to the ground as Alistair also descended and hugged her.

“My baby…

My beautiful grandchild…

my beautiful Taemin….”


*END OF FLASHBACK

 

 

Taemin_SHINee__17072009123249.jpg

 



Grandma Jean wiped the tears from her eyes and composed herself before going inside the room.

 


 

 are capable of transforming into the ideal lover you’ve always dreamed about when given the right amount of attention.

I am an  because I rarely get jealous! Takes a hell of a lot.

I am a  because I am calm.

If a  willingly fights for you, it means they are loyal.

's follow through on their threats.

I am a  because I keep the peace.

The  parent is a bit obsessed with a clean and tidy home. So much so, that painful conversations can be swept to the side.

I am a  because I add shine to everything.

I am a  because I'm never afraid to show my emotions.

 Strengths: Intuitive, Nurturing, Maternal

s are soo charismatic, they can easily get what they want from you.

 in one word STUBBORN.

 


Final Word Count: 12,676 words.



I would like to thank these following people for giving me encouragement. You people seriously make my day with your long comments. I may not have many views and subscribers but I have already decided to finish this story for you guys :D
 

BennieDerHamster
CatAttack1020
jadekaulitz
ScissorsandElves
followurdestiny
kpop4evafanatic
saekree
EvilPetal
KpopVision
Iamscreamingloud
DBSJSHINeEXO
MsChoKyuhyun
Justjoking 
Hopefulstartii

and of course who could forget

elisaexplosive
HEEismylife

and my home girl

Isabella0998